Barrhead Travel

Barrhead Travel Employee Reviews

United Kingdom62 reviews
Stressful
Unrealistic targets, poor management and a tough place to work, staff i worked with were great and helped me a lot but the hire management of the company only care about money
Fabulous working environment
Very relaxed and understanding management team. Good work/life balance, social events along with salary being in line with position
Overall a very good company to work for
Barrhead Travel -Fantastic company to work for
I have been currently employed with Barrhead for 13 years I have a fantastic job role also I have a fantastic relationship with the company directors.
busy challenging environment
sales enquiries, telephone and face to face. Handling sales enquiries post sale queries. Taking payments and dealing with overflow calls from other branches.
Shocking place to work for
I agree with the majority of the 1 star reviews. If your face fits you get an abundance of help and no problem hitting your ridiculous target. If your face doesn't fit you'll be left to fend for yourself. Very clicky place to work for and extremely unprofessional
Not worth the hassle
Targets too big especially during low season but expected to sell sell sell !! Very competitive atmosphere and hard to sell to people who show you proof of cheaper prices
college work placement
i asked to do my college two week work placement at barrhead travel as this was the industry i was intrested in , i loved my two week work placement working with the staff was amazing they were lovley people and the job itself was amazing , funny , busy and you always had lovley customers and its the best job to go for if you want proper customer service/care experience.
Staff are leaving in droves
Appalling place to work. Don't expect any flexibility at all, instead expect to work in a dungeon with no windows or natural daylight. Some staff take supplements due to this!

If you like never getting a pay rise, being asked if you need more work to do if caught talking to a colleague, watching the 'in crowd' head off on familiarisation trips ton exotic destinations while you take on their workload and absolutely no benefits at all, then head for Barrhead, the worst company in travel.
Pros
Some nice people
Cons
Everything else
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Barrhead Travel?
Loved the job
Managment at the time wasnt great however I loved the job its self. Would highly reccomend for anyone wanting to make customers dream holidays, honeymoons or even weddings come true.
Mediocre
Having worked in travel over 10 years now (previously with Thomsons) Barrhead can come as a bit of a culture shock. For one there are far too many people in management with little idea of what the shop floor is really like. The relationship between senior management and staff is really poor which is a shame. It is high pressure for the money, luckily we don't pay for mistakes anymore but you will still be scrutinised for them, like they're surprised you're not a perfect robot. The wages are awful, minimum wage with no pay rises in the 4 years I've been here now. I was advised when starting to go for a lower wage to get a lower target and earn more commission, unfortunately some of the targets are just laughable unless you fancy charging people 50% more than the initial holiday cost. I was told before I began there's loads of fam trips and educational, which is true, just sadly they're all for the same people. I've even seen back office staff being given them over sales staff. They stop you earning bonuses from some suppliers but will happily collect them for you and pass them off as prizes - here's to another 7 night RIU giveaway someone else earned. If you're coming from a Thomas Cook or Thomson background you will get a fright at the lack of organisation and lack of professionalism. Regional managers need to stop pestering shops, it doesn't achieve anything. The main system needs a massive tidy up to actually make things accessible for staff. Supplier links never seem to work, passwords always hidden or out of date and there are about three folders for one thing + this needs - more...
Horrible companyy
If you happy to rip customers off and steal over colleagues booking then you will fit in well with the compnay but if you not that ytype of person then you will struggle.

If you don't performe to the standard they want you to then they put you up the back of the shop or just move you to another store regardless if you want to or not instead of supporting you and helping you improve.

Managers make up lies and cause trouble in store and try to blame other staff for story telling
Cons
no breaks, no respect, unprofessional
Should be paid more
This is a good job , training team are amazing , job is stressful and staff from other branches try and steal potential clients. All meant to be one team but it’s not the case ! Quite a lot of responsibility and stress for minimum wage !
If you want to enter yourself into depression, this is the job for you :)
I started here as an apprentice and have to say this was the worst experience of my life.

From being there only 11 months, 22 people left in that time, that's just non-sales staff (ie head office staff, Marketing staff, design staff etc).

The way I was treated during my time there was disgusting and not only myself but other staff have said the same. I found that other employees I worked with in the 'head office' in Glasgow were either extremely nice, friendly and genuinely made you want to be there, or were miserable and a had a 'I'm better than you' attitude.

After I had finished my apprenticeship, no one would tell me if I was being kept on or not and 3 months after I had finished, my pay didn't increase and job title wasn't updated. I feel I was discriminated against as my pay didnt go up, whereas other male modern apprentices' wages went up immediately.

Senior Management put too much pressure on staff to complete reports and too much of a workload. They've already lost some of their best employees due to targets etc. Oh and you werent allowed to leave a minute before 5:30 which is ridiculous.

The only thing that kept me going were the people I worked with, who also didn't get the recognition they deserved and pressure was mounting up on them.

Don't even think about applying here, it is genuinely the most miserable place to work.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Management (or lack of), extremely high staff turnover, pay, hours
Mean girls
Barrhead is great to work for in the aspect You can provide for your clients needs and wants and you have the relative freedom to do so within the company's targets.
However it is very much an "if the face fits" work place.

Hugh staff turn over as manager doesn't want to take time to develop people but rather bulky them out the door.
Fun and focused to suceed
I worked for Barrhead travel for 8 years my experience was good one the company itself is driven to succeed
always giving you training incentives and good commission sales incentives overall a company that's has grown and successful and have massive repeat customers portfolio overall the company is very successful and help there staff anyway they could.
Pros
Don't get paid for long break
Was Alright
Targets were very high for apprentice, they didn't give you holidays in January/February due to this being 'peak months' cared more about money than customers.
Cons
long days, high targets
Worst job of my life
Worked here for over 7 months new staff are not trained properly and I was bullied from the start of my training til when I was forced to move store targets are unacheiveable management only care about money nothing else made me physically ill with stress and top top it off witheld my lying time which I had worked for the start of my employment don’t work here it’s just a hassle and the company is a complete shambles
Cons
A bad system can destroy good people !
Are you Ok with earning 12,000 per year working 37/40 hours a week ? Are you happy having unrealistic targets set soy don't get a promised bonus on top of your low salary.Are you happy with never being allowed a weekend off ? Didn't think so ! Please do no apply here so many employees are unhappy and barley surviving from the low income , low morale and lack of support. This company has a high staff turnover therefore they now employ 16 -18 year olds and take advantage . These 16-18 year old then stay in the company and get promoted as they become brainwashed as its has been the only job and think this is how staff should be treated .

All management directors (Directors they have about 20 who have just been promoted to continue the brainwashing effect and to keep them sweet ) etc have ben there years so are brainwashed and scared to speak up . Directors sat out in the shop floor however did not sell holidays apparently just there to keep an eye on staff !

I was asked why i had my jacket on at 5.30 which is when my contract stated i fished i was allowed to leave at 5.31 not a minute before .

No laughing as we where warned management would come over and say something

Toilet breaks where deducted from our lunch time ,

not allowed to speak to other members of staff as it made the shop look messy ,

not allowed to drink water as it made the desk look untidy

asked to eat my lunch quickly so i could get back on shop floor

dim lighting no windows almost like a dungeon

I worked every weekend for a year and when i asked for a weekend off i was advised
 - more...
Pros
walking out the door on my last day
Cons
The list is growing longer everyday
The Good & The Bad
Most days at Barrhead Travel are pretty much the same if I'm honest. Most issues that get raised don't tend to get dealt with and it feels like a constant "war" between management and employees.

One of the good things about working at Barrhead Travel is the fact that it is directly in the center of Glasgow and makes lunches easy.
Pros
Job Location
Cons
i had one week work experience
there is not much i can say due to the fact that it was only a one week work experience. the people i worked with where pleasant and showed me how to work well as part of the team.
Fun workplace
Its the team I worked with that made the job. Poor management. Management was poor. It was an exciting place to work as you were booking peoples holidays. Hardest part was your colleagues knowing who was actually going book a holiday and spend lots of money, so leaping out of their seat.

Most enjoyable was seeing how excited people were to go on their holidays.