Barnardo's Employee Reviews

voultary
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Beeston21 October 2017
i enjoyed the job my favorite part was serving the customers and see them smile.The hardest part is nothing. I learned to help and never give up.And help others.
Pros
giving tea coffie and let me get lunch
Cons
nothing
Busy customer service and friendly.
Retail Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Felixstowe19 October 2017
On arrival I put my belongs in a locker.I use vacuum cleaner, clean the shop,tidy,the items sale,refill shelves.During my time I have learnt to use the till.The manager is always helpful,prepared to deal with problems,the layout of the shop and price donations. There are to permanent managing staff the remainder are volunteers.Everyone knows their work jobs and gets on very well with everyone else.The hardest job is sorting donations and deciding what is not saleable. the atmosphere and friendship of the staff is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Discount available on certain items.
Cons
Throwing away unsaleable and rubbish donations.
Satisfying and never dull.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn, Norfolk18 October 2017
I was very lucky to be giving the oppertunity to work for a great chairty. Every day was different and it was non stop which i loved. A little shop out skirts of kings lynn. Gave donators and customers in the cummuity and customers from a far something diffent. Loyal daily customers to new faces we gave the best customer satisfaction and went beyond the call of duty to aim high customer service.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Distance
Great confidence builder
Retail Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Inverness16 October 2017
I have only good things to say about Barnardo's ,I would recommend any young person to pop in to their shop to volunteer you will be provided with training which will give you the experience needed to work in retail great work environment before I started I was very shy and had no clue what I was doing but they built me up and gave me the confidence and experience I needed to get a job I learned how rto work in a fast pace environment and work part of a team .
Pros
Expeirence in retail, team work
An interesting place to work.
Shop Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Berkhamsted12 October 2017
I worked at Barnardo's in Berkhamsted as part of my work experience and enjoyed the experience.
tyI worked at the shop on Sunday to support the charity.
Pros
A local business.
Cons
Very few facilities.
Basic
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Derry, County Londonderry10 October 2017
I worked short hours and I operated the till and looked after the floor. Staff were friendly and but were not always there when I was in need of assistance.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
Music played
fun work place
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Harwich9 October 2017
great people to work with and a fun place to work at. all the staff are friendly and always have a smile on their faces . Barnardos have been good work experience for me .
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
there is no cons
Friendly and enjoyable workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derry, County Londonderry7 October 2017
Enjoyed working here as it gave me much of the retail experience that I have today. Everybody that I came into contact with during my time here was happy to teach me new duties and this resulted in me becoming a more valuable and skilled employee.
Cons
Work was voluntary - no pay
Nice Place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 October 2017
This job entails working at a till/counter, processing stock, depositing shop takings in the bank, sorting through donations, tagging and pricing the stock and putting it on the shop floor. It helped teaching me organisation and customer interaction.
Pros
Experience
Cons
No pay
Fun, Challenging, Rewarding
Relief Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London4 October 2017
Everyday would be different due to the young people we worked with, however it made the job interesting as you were able to learn new things everyday. My communication skills drastically improved since being there although it can be challenging with some young people it is a very rewarding job.
Pros
Holiday Pay
Cons
Risk of intense injury
excellent employer with commitment to career development
Early Years Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear3 October 2017
1-1 work with young people in various locations, schools, homes community venues
arranging and facilitating family group conferences to support families to be part of the social care/early help plans for their families
Everyday is different lots of variety and well supported by colleagues and management
Great for volunteer work
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire2 October 2017
The management was great and the staff were friendly and nice but majority were not close to my age. My main role was shop floor assistant where I was in charge of keeping the shop clean and organised as well as making sure products were presentable.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk2 October 2017
A typical day was: Cleaning, working on displays and improving on your communication skills. I learnt the skills above. The co-workers nice, helpful and took their time when explaining.
Friendly environment
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  York28 September 2017
This was a very challenging job from a clothes sorter to cashier priceing items and colour codeing stock meeting and greeting customers from all walks of life it was a very friendly and happy atmosphere qualified nvq level 2 in retail.
fun workplace
vulunteer (Former Employee) –  Dundee City28 September 2017
it was fun but nor cost effiecient, the long hours were boring and I was a volunteer so no salary the staff were fun to hang around with and the workplace culture was good
Pros
free lunch
Cons
hard to get to
Fun and enjoyable
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear27 September 2017
It was really fun volunteering as I learned some basics of retail as I had to deal with stock and pricing items, as well as working at the till. It was quite rewarding, however since it was voluntary there was no pay.
Learn great skills and it's fun
Charity Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  March, Cambridgeshire27 September 2017
I learnt so many new skills working at barnardos, it was also fun and they helped me to boost my confidence up. People who volunteer at barnardos are so lovely and welcoming, we all work in a team and help each other out.
Pros
Met so many nice people
Cons
Great insight and lovely workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Derry, County Londonderry22 September 2017
My time volunteering at Barnardos allowed me to feel part of my community and help the greater public. It also introduced me to the world of retail and production. The people in the workplace are very driven and sympathetic to ones needs.

A typical day would be working on the shop floor and taking various items to and from the shop floor, whilst making sales. I would also assist customers and help with donations.
Pros
Helping my community
Cons
Not as much variance as I would have liked
great to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stourbridge, West Midlands21 September 2017
.............

Great company to work for, lovely manager loved going into work loved doing my job of sorting out all the items pricing them up and keeping the shop tidy
fun
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside20 September 2017
I enjoyed working at barnardos because the staff were really nice and I loved having a chat with the customers. I would gladly volunteer there again..
Pros
nice staff
Cons
long hous

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnardo's. Our community is ready to answer.