Barnardo's Employee Reviews

Rewarding
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey19 June 2018
I found this job extremely rewarding. Everyone I worked with was extremely friendly. I really enjoyed helping customers with everything they needed. v
Great Oppertunity
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bushey, Hertfordshire19 June 2018
This is a great chance to gain and build retail experience. Highly enjoyable, there are no 2 days are the same. I learnt that theres a lot of work that goes on behind the scences
fun workplace friendly staff
Trainee (Former Employee) –  linwood18 June 2018
I have a load of fun working here and meeting new people also seeing how the shop runs was very interesting I loved organising stock and loading it on shelves on the shop floor.
productive and caring
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands14 June 2018
while volunteering I was able to gain lots of different skills e.g communication and team working. The staff members were caring and very supportive. they provided lots of help in areas where I needed to improve and where very flexible with the time I could spend there.
Fun and interactive workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester13 June 2018
Typically, when I worked at Barnardo's, I would do many different thing. I may be in charge of the rotation of the stock that day, or the organisation of the stock on the show-room floor. Furthermore, on an average day I worked on the till, interacting with the public and taking cash and card payments. I learned a lot about how a shop is managed and I learned to speak with customers in a friendly, helpful way. The management were both supportive, and yet taught me to have independence in my job role. The only hard part of the job dealing with rude customers, and yet keeping calm and collected, however, the most enjoyable part of the job was that I got to meet many different people who were very interesting to talk to.
Pros
Happy and supportive workplace.
Cons
Rude customers.
Fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen13 June 2018
Staff and other volunteers are very friendly as well as customers. Working has helped give me much experience in working with members of the public and organisation
fun workplace
Till Operator (Current Employee) –  Great Yarmouth, Norfolk13 June 2018
Its a fun work place, people are kind and helpful. They understand when something is wrong or when something is needed to be put in place to make you more comfortable.
friendly environment to work in
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woolton12 June 2018
From working in the charity shop for Banados, I had to complete tasks such as working over the counter on the till - working in partnership with the public domain, cleaning and maintaining a tidy shop, color coordinating the stock on the shop floor, dealing and addressing returns. The most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying customers and advancing my communication skills whilst working.
Pros
Quiet shop
Cons
Shifts can become boring if little people come in
Dedicated shop floor staff.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham10 June 2018
There appears to be double standards in the organisation with shop floor staff signed up to Barnardos Basis and Values and upper management immune to them. The shop managers work extra hours for no pay and this is expected in order to cash up at the end of the working day. The majority of shop managers endeavour to have a happy workplace. There is a huge amount of expertise and experience at shop manager and associate level but this is ignored by prehistoric upper management. Communication is appalling, which is recognised within the organisation but they fail to do anything about it. Management above the shop managers is controlling with no flexibility or vision. One of the seven deadly sins, waste, is prevalent with time and finance flittered away without concern. There is also a disgraceful practise of sending the shop managers to a central location for the weekend every year with vast amounts of money being spent to achieve what could be done using technology, with no need to take the managers away for what is no more than a weekend on the town. Overall I am happy with my role and experiences at Barnardos but find it frustrating that there is no promotion prospect, management vacancies are usually recruited from outwith the organisation and no consistency filling vacancies in general, upper management transferring staff at their discretion without advertising the vacancy. This shows a lack of confidence in the staff that would apply for promotion which in turn shows that the training and mentoring is weak. Health and Safety at Work is a tool used when it suits as are Manual  more... Handling Regulations. Although Barnardos claim to be a diverse organisation this is not apparent in the area that I work. Dignity at work is usually adhered to at the shop level however once again higher management seem to believe that they need not treat their greatest assets with dignity. If you are looking for work that is rewarding then the charity sector will meet your expectations, the work can be tedious and repetitive but if you are lucky enough to have a progressive and well organised shop manager then there will be role rotation. As I do not know or have had any dealings with the CEO I can not really pass judgement, however, on the premise that poor management, vision, planning and organisation begin at the top my selection of rating reflects this.  less
Pros
Happy workplace with moral generally high.
Cons
Poor planning for the future. Barnardos do not set the benchmark for the charity sector.
Friendly atmosphere
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear9 June 2018
Friendly relaxed atmosphere. Gained lots of new skills, which was invaluable. Also met a lot of new people from a variety of backgrounds. Enjoyed helping out the local community.
Pros
Friendly staff
An enjoyable and productive experience
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Norwich9 June 2018
Barnardos was a very informative place to work. It taught me a lot about what a business could stand for and a lot about what a business should stand for. The relations between employees were always positive and it was always cheery to work there.

While some days could end up being tediously long and exhausting, it was no different from any other day at a job.
Pros
Fun Environment
Basic Volunteer Work
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow6 June 2018
During my time at Barnardo`s, I sorted through the donations, tagged the stock and decoded the stock. I also learned a bit of how to work the till. Overall, it was a good experience.
Flexible Work and a Valuable Experience, but Poor Management
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire30 May 2018
As someone looking to gain retail experience this seemed like an ideal role, but aside from being a very friendly working environment with flexible hours, there is very little to be positive about. I know that you can't expect much in terms of advancement in a voluntary role, but every day was the same- sorting and processing stock, with very little till training or the opportunity to develop true retail skills. The management at the store in my area is poor, with one manager leaving (the likes of which I wasn't even informed of) and very little order in place in their absence. The pile of stock to sort is daunting and impossible for one or two people- on a typical day it would only be me and one other volunteer- and there is very little intellectual stimulation when you're sorting through endless bags in a messy back room for hours at a time, with no breaks. The shop floor is also rearranged on a constant basis, making it difficult to feel any sense of consistency.
Pros
Flexibility, Friendly People
Cons
No Advancement, Boring Work, No Organisation, Poor Management, No Day-to-Day Variety
fun and productive workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Nottingham27 May 2018
staff are very friendly and easy going, quite a chilled environment,have gathered so many skills from here such as customer service, operating the till.
Fun place to learn and work
Volunteer Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester21 May 2018
I was a volunteer at the shop in Worcester and my Store manager is very good and give me a lots of chance to learn. The working environment was friendly.
An excellent place to build experience
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire20 May 2018
Generally a wonderful working environment where all colleagues get on with each other. Store management is amazing, and all work is worthwhile for the workers and those the charity helps.
Pros
Excellent working environment
Cons
Some rude customers
Supportive enviroment in which to work
Project Worker (Current Employee) –  Midlands15 May 2018
A great friendly enviroment with an outstanding ethos regarding children and young people,
I have found this a thouroughly positive experience within my working career
Good, if your face fits with managment
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire15 May 2018
Really enjoyed my time at store, worked very hard and days flew by.
Problem was, management was very poor. Volunteers not appreciated by upper management and appreciation of paid staff depended more on flannel than hard work as I have seen examples of shoddy/lazy workers whose only care was to get into work on time and leave as soon as the terrible music is switched off, being protected while others who were willing to do unpaid overtime and willingly cover at other shops were thrown to the wolves.

This might seem bitter, but it is written out of disbelief that such practices of psudo nepotism over hard work exists as even though it makes for a happy area manager, it causes nothing but disgruntled employees/Volunteers and the real loser is the charity, which brings in less revenue.
Pros
Good bunch of volenteers.
Cons
Management, could do with human relationship courses.
Enjoy working in a retail environment
Retail Assistant (unpaid) (Current Employee) –  Harrogate14 May 2018
I continue to volunteer at Barnados once a week, and enjoy helping sorting out donations, talking to the customers and cash handling. I really enjoy all aspects of this work.
Pros
Local shop
Fun
Volunteering at Barnardo's Charity Shop (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 May 2018
Everyone was really friendly and ready to help and show how to do something. It was nice to be a part of it all. Showed the importance of charity shops and how everything works there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnardo's. Our community is ready to answer.