Barnardo's Employee Reviews

Tense - as a volunteer
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dereham, Norfolk15 January 2018
A typical day would be customer focused on the shop floor.

I learnt how to deal with the till, take cards, and talk about fashion.
The management changed in the first few weeks and he was picking it up on the spot. The deputy had a terrible attitude and I had difficulty dealing with that.

Workplace culture - tense at times.

Worst - Dealing politely with the other staff who seemed to think it was demeaning to be on the shop floor.

Most enjoyable - dressing the front window, which always sold out, and I had to do it again! Moral - don't do it too nicely!
Pros
working with the public
Cons
unpaid
excellent
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire15 January 2018
excellent place to work, staff are friendly the customers are amazing, the job is fun to do. you have loads of fun and messing about. shame it is free work.
Great place to get basic experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Longbridge11 January 2018
A typical day can involve a lot especially if it's a small store and there's only a couple of people working, ranging from pricing items or serving customers or simply steaming donated clothes.
I gained a lot of confidence during my volunteering, which was helped by the management and other staff being supportive whenever something happened to go wrong.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you're helping by giving your time, and that you can choose when you work so it can fit nicely around your schedule.
Fun, fast paced and progressive place to work
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Linwood, Glasgow9 January 2018
Loved every minute. Great experience, looks great on your CV and teaches you great skills like Till Operation and customer service. Would highly recommend working there to anyone considering it.
Excellent job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rawtenstall, Lancashire8 January 2018
I worked in the store it was fantastic a great team and great manaager loved every day learnt loads of new skills Every day i learnt new things and always felt cared for by the great Manager
Pros
Caring manager
Cons
no cons
Good Experience
Play Leader (Former Employee) –  Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire8 January 2018
Great experience gained here which supported my CPD and I enjoyed the team that I worked for. Although the salary was not enough for me. The management was good and they did take pride in this which was positive.
Very welcoming!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dewsbury, West Yorkshire7 January 2018
The job place was fun and productive.The management was very helpful and provided loads of support. Staff was polite and gave me a welcoming introduction.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Not much work to do
generous and fun
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ballyclare, County Antrim5 January 2018
my time at barnardos was short but whilst i was there i thoroughly enjoyed my time. i worked the shop floor and was treated like a member of the team as soon as i started. i worked there volunteering and would definitely recommend.
Pros
gentle and laid back
Cons
a lot of cleaning
productive
Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire5 January 2018
Its a typical day at work, I learnt how to steam clothes and price them and take them to the shop floor. Hardest part is the steam because I got a bit too hot.
Pros
breaks
Ok for voluntary work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Abingdon1 January 2018
Processing of donation checking them over to see that they are fit to sell, putting out stock to sell and serving customers

Staff friendly, low pressure and mostly boring
Pros
Easy low pressure
Cons
Mostly Boring
Very inclusive organisation, Hot on staff training and regular questionnaire for employees to provide feedback, Good management structure
Project Worker (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe29 December 2017
Typical day at work involves family assessments
Hardest part of the job - reaching all children that need support
most enjoyable -when the job is done
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Very tight on finances
relaxed place to work
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Driffield27 December 2017
really nice staff, they look after you and treat you with respect. As a company they look after their volunteers and have signs saying not to abuse staff.
Help full, Friendly all the staff and Manager.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire22 December 2017
Its a very good environment to learn . The whole staff are very help full, I was working as volunteer in Barnados and I learned many things about customer and sales it was a good experience to work with Barnardos.
Volunteer
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redcar, North Yorkshire21 December 2017
Busy and lively environment to work in as a volunteer in the shop. Met lots of new people and was given responsibility for stock and serving customers.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Not getting expenses
Fun and social workplace
Retail Sales Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire18 December 2017
Volunteering is fun and happens at a relaxing pace
Everyone is friendly
You can choose how many hours you wish to work
Need to be a social and hardworking person to help out
productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Clydebank18 December 2017
This was a very interesting experience, I had the opportunity to work with older people, I got experience with hanging and tagging clothes, and dealing with customers when they needed help finding things or had questions about prices.
Pros
i got experience, and i learned how to deal with customers, i had a half an hour lunch break.
Cons
There was little staff so i had lots to do.
Easy and out going
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Rutherglen, Glasgow15 December 2017
Barnardos is a nice and pleasant place to have worked in. The staff were good also nicely laid out shop. The shop was busy usually during the afternoons at around 12 oclock. The manager ran a good business and knew how to keep everything in line. The hardest thing for me was probably till handling at the start but it got easier as the manager helped me work it out.
Pros
Pleasant staff
Cons
Under satffed
Fun and friendly place
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon15 December 2017
The staff where friendly and kind to work with and the coustmers are friendly to talk to and you can get good customer service skills to get a job and its a good place to make friends.
Pros
Have to take your own lunch
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Alderley Edge14 December 2017
I am a good team worker and have participated in team building exercises in school and have also volunteered with the charity group, Barnardos. Through my work at Barnardos, I gained valuable experience on how to relate to different people in various capacities, such as managers, colleagues, customers and my employer, all with varying age ranges. Barnardos also gave me exposure to the world of retail and all its associated skills such as cash handling and stock merchandising.
Fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Eaton, Derbyshire11 December 2017
Was fine at firstunyill the new area managerial was really fun but then hassle started.i really miss all the people who I worked with and I hate the fact that I’ve had to let one person down in a real bad way

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnardo's. Our community is ready to answer.