Barnardo's Employee Reviews

Fun to do during summer holidays
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tonbridge24 September 2018
Repetitive and was only volunteering so no pay. Wasn't too busy so mainly consisted of sitting behind the till and sometimes putting out new items on the clothing rails etc.
Pros
Long lunch
Cons
Repetitive
friendly workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sunderland23 September 2018
I learnt cash handling and customer service witch was a part of a typical day. they had a good management in place witch mad it a friendly place to work.
A fun and helpful place
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Greenock19 September 2018
Working with the children is such a rewarding job. Everyone helps each other and no one is left alone. The most enjoyable part is seeing the children achieve whether this be small challenges or big ones
Comfortable Environment
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine9 September 2018
The Team are a friendly team, they let you have fun while you worked and you would always be doing something exciting or different They let you take your time just as long as you get everything done in time.
Fulfilling, Uplifting Work Place
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Newport6 September 2018
Working here is very fulfilling, you gain a wonderful sense community within this shop. The management runs very smoothly, and one gains experience in communication with both customers and colleagues.
Pros
Low stress work environment
Cons
Days can be slightly slow.
Genuine workplace:
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Consett6 September 2018
A typical day consists of steaming, sorting bags, preparing shop floor and updating stock.

I learnt a lot of individuals, how diverse people are from all sorts of backgrounds.

The workplace culture is amazing, friendly and always wants to help volunteers.

Management team was amazing, friendly and always wants staff to succeed and progress.
Pros
Made friends for life!
Lovely staff, lovely customers
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stourbridge3 September 2018
An enjoyable atmosphere in a busy charity shop. Given many opportunities to grow in responsibilities if you prove yourself. Encouraging and optimistic management.
Productive and organised workplace
Voluntary Worker (Current Employee) –  Rotherham1 September 2018
This store is a great place to work at, with all the staff members really pleasant to be around and really friendly if you need help with anything. Volunteering here is really beneficial as it gives you many skills that can be used and applied to many other situations.
Pros
Friendly staff, good breaks
Cons
Training system can be a little much to handle
Fun, relaxed workplace
Retail Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Carrickfergus30 August 2018
The work is easy and relaxed, and its easy to enjoy yourself. I learned a lot about customer service and general retail skills, especially teamwork. Had some laughs :)
overall i enjoyed my time there.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne29 August 2018
i really enjoyed my short time i spent at barnardos, i was only part time but did get asked to cover shifts at other shops. decent wage and friendly management and staff.
Pros
good wage, friendly management
Cons
part time
Very organised
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Helens27 August 2018
During my time at Barnardo's i learnt how to steam clothing, tag clothing, sort through stock, organize displays, and handle cash when using the till. I also gained a lot of confidence during my time here due to the manager who was very helpful and determined to provide me with useful work experience.
Pros
Surrounded by experienced employees.
Productive ad fun work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ammanford27 August 2018
Learned many vital skills while volunteering there and they are extremely flexible with the hours they allow you to volunteer. Additionally, the staff is friendly and extremely helpful in training new volunteers.
good for retail skill's
ASSISTANT DEPUTY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  West Midlands20 August 2018
enjoyed the work and the responsibility.when deputy manager. i learnt a lot about how important a good display and the impact of use with colour, drew customers in.
Pros
gained retail skill's
Friendly Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro17 August 2018
I had minimal work as a volunteer, but immensely enjoyed the experience. Although, there was often a lack of costumers in the times I worked, the ones I did encounter, always enjoyed the experience.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire11 August 2018
overall my work experience was a pleasant experience and I would do it over again.

Staff were friendly and welcoming.

A typical day of work experience consisted of sorting and replenish stock, stock rotation and assisting customers with their purchases.
Pros
lunch break
Cons
tiresome
a typical day at work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eston, North Yorkshire7 August 2018
Typical day at work was mainly serving customer's on the till and replenishing the stock, i learned to use the till most of the time. The hardest part of the job was dealing with all of the heavy lifting.
Pros
People that you work with
Cons
Heavy lifting most of the time
workpalce
Stock rotation and inventory management (Former Employee) –  Elgin, Moray2 August 2018
My typical day was mostly work the till, serving customers,routing stock and pricing items. The management was very nice and helpful . i enjoyed helping customers the most it was just nice help people get what they wanted.
Pros
helping customers
Repetitive but Rewarding
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Balsall Common, West Midlands27 July 2018
Repetitive but rewarding, lots f doing the same all day every day but you get a nice feeling knowing that you are helping other people. Try to get as many shop floor shifts as possible, these are more fun.
Enjoable
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester26 July 2018
I have worked in Barnado's before and it was fun. I am really glad that I did my voluntary with them, as I met new people.

At first time I was really panic to work for the first time in my life, but now I feel that my confident level has boosted a lot higher as it never been before.

The job work it isn't too hard as I expected!!
Pros
You do get free coffee and free drinks.
Cons
The hours are alright
Great Workplace
Charity Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow24 July 2018
Only volunteered for a few months but was a great environment. I worked with lovely people who made my time there very pleasant. I would recommend them as an employer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnardo's. Our community is ready to answer.