Barking & Dagenham College

Barking & Dagenham College Employee Reviews

United Kingdom23 reviews
I'm here to add my CV only - what happened to just uploading the thing on here? Its purely so prospective employers see the updated version so that it will improve my chances
Working with students who appreciate all the time and effort i put into delivering their lessons
Delivering practical or theory to students, I learn to be a team player, the management could be a little more supportive to staff, it is going through a transition and staff are not included in managerial important decisions, the hardest part of the job is getting learners to cooperate with rules and regulations. The most enjoyable part of the job is when all the learners achieve and progress to a higher level or get a good job
Challenging environment providing educational services
Barking & Dagenham College is a further education facility serving the East London area. The college provide a wealth of educational opportunities focused on providing students with life skills and delivering higher education or work opportunities.
Professional and friendly
I worked as an Apprentice Assessor which was part time and meant I spent a great deal of my time out with learners in the work place. When attending the office for paperwork/administration I found the team to be friendly and professional. I had a good relationship with my line manager. Communication was mostly email and telephone due to my job role which could on occasion be difficult attending team meetings unless they were planned and diarised.
arrogant management running place into the ground
as an ex employee who left on his own accord after 2 years working on the security team, i left my role there as the place was going downhill at 100mph due to the higher management in the college who are rude, arrogant and useless in there positions. the cut backs in the place make it a very dangerous place now, why they fill there pockets. avoid this place
Too many people in senior management team who are not qualified for their role
The Estates department is run by people with little or no experience in Facilities and Safety management. This has a knock on effect to the safe running of the site.
Many great people to work alongside but little or no support from an inept senior team.

Awful place to work
Pros
Lot's of annual leave!!
Cons
No support from senior management, and blame culture throughout the College
I enjoyed the experience to a high degree.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at the college. The students were very respectful towards me even though I was a younger age than them and the staff treated me like I was one of them. Time management was key to make sure I completed the work in that specific day which I was able to do easily. The hardest part of the job was processing the mindset of the students and how they will interpret the work I was organising for them so that it made sense for them. The most enjoyable part of the experience was meeting and communicating with new people and being able to be in a workplace and follow different rules.
Business Support
Lovely place to work, I am able to maintain a good working relationship with my team members. It is a very diverse workplace and training is always available for staff.
Pros
job progression
Cons
salary
I worked for barking and dagenham College for almost 2 years
Verry bad company and College all thay care about is profit management do not no how to run a thing and the head gets told what to do by a manager of Maintenance I worked in Maintenance for nearly 2 years here and in them two years my job was up for redundancy 3 times management skim monney off the top for there own personal wellbeing and thay do not care what happend to there staff I had a 2 weeks off as I had injured my self at work and thay told me I had to deal with it and come back to work working from 7 in morning to 10 at night when contract states shift work and didnt get paid extra

Stay well clear if you want a good job and no stress as everything is always your fault evern if it has nothing g to do with you
Pros
Cons
Everything absolute nightmare to work for
Disorganised environment with unprofessional managers
Worked as an English teacher in the Alternative Provision called Young College, where pupils taught were those kicked out of school and had behavioural/emotional problems.
Pros - some lovely team members and helping students achieve their goals was rewarding.

Cons - unprofessional, catty atmosphere. Managers put pressure on staff to cover lessons in their free time often. There was no free time to plan, or have a break. Management did not not know anything about exams so left it to staff to make sure students were entered. They often left exam dates to the last minute and never gave support on finding resources or CPD.

Students got away with treating staff badly unless you were a favourite then behaviour would have been dealt with accordingly. Low salary and overtime was paid late.
Pros
Team members
Cons
Low salary, unprofessional managers
Good professional staff
Good professional staff run by poor management under very restrictive budget controls. The culture is transitioning from state run educational delivery to sponsored and private funding model.
Staff and colleagues are wonderful
The college I work for had a reputation for being one of the best colleges in in and around London, I was always proud to be part of the team. However in recent years, Senior management has changed and a new regime has taken over, with little care of the welfare of the staff. Students are allowed to be rude, abusive and violent towards staff with no consequences. The Motor vehicle department has been run down from 17 members of staff to just 4 and now is going to be cut to 3. Staff from all areas of the college are generally unhappy with college life. Staff fear for their jobs with threats of constructive dismissal on grounds of capability. Staff turnover is high.
A typical day at Barking college for me starts at around 7.30 am, I like to get in early, check my emails and catch up on any marking, IV and prepare for my day.

my work colleagues are wonderful, I could not ask for a nice team to work with. We have a great working team, supporting each other.

The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job is when you find a student or students that want to learn and ask questions about the subject, its fantastic when they when they achieve a target.

What I find less rewarding and the most difficult part of the job is the new Type of student that we now have, the aggressive behaviour , the lack of respect to staff and above all the total lack of support from the senior management.
Great workplace for progression
I enjoyed starting my HR career here, management were extremely supportive especially with my development.

I will be ever thankful for that, had a great team and fun atmosphere.

An extremely busy working environment but the day was never dull.
Pros
Good Hours and support with training and development
Cons
Hard work and some intense
an interesting challenge
Working as an Esol Tutor at Barking & Dagenham College was a really interesting experience. I enjoyed the time with my students and l learnt a lot with and frrom them. The feedback from my students was amazing too! They made me feel special, empathetic and efficient teacher. In my classroom there were students from 10 different countries which made my job even more interesting. Coping with situations made me stronger and eager to work as a teacher in future. I am keen to make a difference in Education and l will do anything to get there. I am also willing to apply for QTLS in September 2018.
Pros
the opportunity of working in the College
Cons
Some of the staff
Productive and fun place to study
I spent a just over three years at the college, studying various courses, and gain a lot of opportunities and made a lot of friends. I will never forget my time at the college or my friends.
Pros
Great place to study
Cons
didn't get paid for the commissions
Fun place to work
Challenging but supportive environment. The distance was a real issue because of my accommodation then and the ages of my children.

The management was supportive too.

I will always remember the turn around of my students to love Maths and the positive effects on their results.
Cons
Dstance to my home
Not enjoyable
This college is not an enjoyable work life and can leave you depressed and stressed.

Colleagues are rude and bring work moral down. The office is always untidy and is very boring.
Rewarding Pace to Work
Very supportive team with a family feel.

There are lots of different areas to work within the college and staff are very supportive and helpful.

every area is different and the website is very useful.
Pros
term time working
Cons
10 week summer break
No comment
Disaster, messed up, management is incompetent, many of them unqualified with no or little experience and skills therefore mostly unfair causing chaotic learning and teaching experience at every level
Pros
No comment
Cons
No comment
was a great place to work
busy busy busy - something new every day- good team manager - all great- working during enrolment 8.30 -9 pm everyday for 4 weeks. Meeting and helping new students.
Pros
good holidays
Interesting
Normal Working Hours 8.30am -5pm - interact with students, lecturers and business support staff.
Pros
Long Holidays
Cons
Slow Progression