Barclays Employee Reviews

Soul Destroying
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  London18 April 2018
Working at Barclays was one of the most unenjoyable times in my life. It was completely the wrong choice of job and company to work at. All management are target driven, not from a business point of view, but meeting their own targets which meant they came down hard on employees who really tried but might not have hit the targets management had me to expect from them.
Cons
the job
Good learning experience
Vice President (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 April 2018
Barclays allows opportunities for a lot of exposure and experience - from Project Managemanet to Risk Management. Also in my case to the development of quantitative models for Risk Management.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire13 April 2018
Gaining more experience, learned how to cope under pressure, positive people, very helpful, learned how to priorities workload. good hours and great holiday pay.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
condusive work place
Banking hall Executive (Former Employee) –  livingstone13 April 2018
busy working days,customer service skills ,cash management and operation risk management,long working hours but i enjoyed providing proper counter services.
Pros
paid overtime
Cons
health care and training
Decent enough
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Sunderland13 April 2018
training is very thorough, all based on compliance in such a regulated industry. once you're into your stride, you're expected to upsell as much as you can to the right people.
Pros
training
Cons
the hours
there are better places to work!
Essential Banker (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire11 April 2018
Absolute joke. Management is so poor, they give you no support. Booking holidays is ridiculous as have to book 2 years in advance so don't expect to get any in the first 2 years of working there. Staff are very cliquey and power driven. Staff who are higher up will treat you like dirt. No help when it comes to challenging customers. You don't get paid enough for what you have to deal with. You get pushed to 'sell' products to customers and told off like a child if you don't deliver.
Pros
benefits were ok
Do not recommend.
Essential Banker (Former Employee) –  Mold, Flintshire9 April 2018
Good - Nice staff, manageable working hours, good wage.

Bad - Lack of staff training, not to mention the amount of time you'll have to wait to be vetted. Managers are stretched too thin.

Really bad - Barclays use an agency to take on temporary staff. This agency is Giant. Steer clear of Giant. They have no idea what they're doing.
Pros
Wage, nice staff.
Cons
Management, Lack of training
just a number
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow9 April 2018
lack of structure
employees are just a number
poor management
lack employee engagement
low team morale
lacks process improvement and innovation in depts.
Horrible company
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Littlehampton, West Sussex6 April 2018
Only interested in making money at all costs. Possibly the worst company that I have had the misfortune of working for.
Customers and staff were just there to make the company money and the company did not care about either.
Pros
Cons
everything about the job
Good prospects - great company to work for
Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Covent garden3 April 2018
As I left this organisations in 2000 I would not be able to give an accurate review of the Company considering the time lapse. I worked in Area Sales and can only say that I really enjoyed the 20 years that I was employed there. If the Company is the same as it was then - it would be a great place to work.
Pros
Many perks working for a large PLC
Cons
Sometimes impersonal due to size of organisation
Barclays
Director (Former Employee) –  National2 April 2018
Great Company to work for. Great people dedicated to providing customers and clients with exceptional levels of service.

Great personal development opportunities and a wide range of career opportunities.
Barclays
Community Banker (Current Employee) –  Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taff2 April 2018
Great company to work for
Employee benefits and pension
Fantastic maternity payments
Poor holiday request process - 18 month notice
Unfair contract - Some employees work Saturdays
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Unsociable hours
Barclays is a very big company with high expectations and they expect nothing but the best from their employees. Everyone is very professional.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 March 2018
My time at Barclays was very interesting. Everyone kept to their job and everyone knew what their job roles were as This was a very organised and well managed company. There’s so many different parts of the banks that no one thought existed which surprised me. I saw what back managers and bank employees go through everyday and it is a future job I may look into.
lovely
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London30 March 2018
i did my work experience here, it was wonderful everyone was helpful and lovely to be around. you can see that its a place that offers many opportunities and people progress well within their business
Bank clerk
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Piccadilly Circus29 March 2018
My typical day at Barclays would be opening up being key holder, arriving early to prepare tills and ATMs ready for the day. I also dealt with day to day customer enquires and advising customers on well suited products for their needs.
My role mainly included handling cash and foreign currency.
Twice a week Prepared Bullion to be collected.
Professional
Advisor - Collections and Recoveries (Former Employee) –  Manchester27 March 2018
Working for an international renowned company such as Barclays gave me the exposure of commercial business atmosphere on a wide scale. I appreciated every moment in here
knowledge building
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear27 March 2018
The various roles I did within Barclays Bank gave me a good grounding for my future career choices. Working as part of a team is rewarding and dealing with customers on a daily basis. When working in personnel being the contact for Staff was good to build a sound knowledge of all personnel issues. As a business manager seeing your clients grow from strength to strength was great and being there for them when they needed assistance.
Pros
Good career prospects
Cons
Heavy Sales Targets
Barclays Sunderland poor management and trainning
Accounts Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sunderland26 March 2018
Very stressful and under pressure. It's all about results and management bully you to push products onto customers. Support and encouragement do not exist just constant criticism and intimidation. Long hours. Sometimes no support when needed with certain customers. Online training means you dont take in what you are meant to be learning.
Pros
Lots of perks, Private health care, Good holiday entitlement, Pay
Cons
Stressful and under Pressure, Pushing products onto customers
Awful
Advocacy agent (Current Employee) –  North East25 March 2018
We are in a department which is not given the funding it needs and there are no opportunities to develop. They are having a crisis of managers and doesn't make for a good work env.
managment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  London SE, Greater London22 March 2018
alot of managers change around alot and it can get annoying the fact that you have to adapt to almost a new way of doing things which can slow down your own progress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barclays. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K