Barclays Employee Reviews

Found 1,776 reviews matching the search See all 4,398 reviews
Easy role if your well organised but catty culture No community moral everyone is out for themselves.
UKC PPI Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Albert Road6 December 2018
Stressful place to work. Senior management poor (Middlesbrough)
Culture - If your face fits
Rules vary on who you are and how they are followed
TL's / Ops havent a clue what they are doing and are quick to pass on blame
Hostile culture and environment
Pros
shifts are ok for work life balance
Cons
all the above
Working for Barclays
ESSENTIAL BANKER (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, UK5 December 2018
Did not particularly enjoy it but always did my best. I worked full time and learnt a lot. Some lovely people worked there but I did not always enjoy the management style as it seemed very old fashioned.
Meritocratic
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, UK5 December 2018
Barclays is a great place to work and they expect very high standards and attention to detail.
I found it is a place that rewards and recognises hard work.
The culture encourages people to think the whole of Barclays is open to them. Applying for different roles was actively encouraged.
Pros
Relaxed office.
Cons
Targets can phase some people.
Good Place
Debt Collector (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester3 December 2018
Nice place to work
Nice and friendly staff
Good Experience
Good Location
Fun atmosphere
Bad Staff Management
Fairly stable and comfortable position
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Sandbach, Cheshire2 December 2018
Enjoyable working environment
Employee Benefits good - mat pay, sick pay, holidays, pension
Poor management
Good Working hours
Generally ok place to work
Liars
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough2 December 2018
Spent a week working here with the guarantee that when jobs come up in my local area I will be informed. I had to manually apply and search for each Barclays job in my area. Working here had little to no bearing what-so-ever on the one interview I managed to get with Barclays. Cheap labour profiting off of the unemployed.
Pros
nowt
Cons
nowt
This was a work experince
Work Experinace (Former Employee) –  Penzance, Cornwall2 December 2018
Done my work experience there loved every moment of it from the uniforms to helping people. Met some great people and enjoyed the opportunity to be there for a week.
Pros
Amazing job
A great place to work if your face fits
Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear27 November 2018
Good money, good job but very limited in terms of real advancement or training. Quite frequently let their best and brightest go while preserving some of the most incompetent in senior roles.
Pros
Good pay/bonuses
Cons
Leadership
Great company to work for
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  England26 November 2018
Barclays will allow you to progress at your own pace, reward you for a job well done and offers great opportunities and benefits.
I whole heartedly recommend this company to work for
No flexibility
Moment Banker (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London20 November 2018
There is no flexibility or understanding of people's personal issues. You are just a number in this large organisation. Immediate managers may try to understand and help but everyone is too bounded by contracts and policies but don't seem to empathise with individuals having a personal life and different circumstances.
Pros
Few perks
Cons
No free tea or coffee, no flexibility, too much red tape and no one for the employee
Barclays is stand out the best place I ever worked
Vice President Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 November 2018
I worked for Barclays for 20 years, a great place to work, and I would go back in a second, it was more like a family, salaries are good, work life balance is normally excellent and the offices excellent
Pros
Professional Firm
Cons
Outsourceing is rife
Limited career oportunities
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London18 November 2018
There is a hire freeze in bank lasting for few last years which means that if by any wander you'll be hired - forget about any promotions. At best you can change the team
productive and helpful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  london18 November 2018
I only did a week of week experience, my time there was really productive as I was able to build up my confidence with the clients. I was able to experience every single position in Barclays
well respected organisation, varied work
EMEA Infrastructure Manager (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London18 November 2018
tough place to work, subject to significant change whilst I was there. large organisation with lots of bureaucracy to overcome to get things done. overall enjoyable.
work experience
Casual worker (Former Employee) –  Southall15 November 2018
A typical day at work starts from the short conversation with the branch manager or one of the advisers which drawing a working plan. Mostly during my work experience I was greeting customers, listening to their enquiries and directing them to appropriate adviser, in some cases I was trying to help them by the knowledge I gained from over viewing and observing of how banking processes operates and how some enquiries can be solved without advisers help. Its work experience gave me understanding of how some banking processes work, also I have learnt how to speak and behave with different types of customers. I think it the most important skill I have learnt, because branch is always busy and people that coming in many occasions are in rush, so i was needed to find right attitude and words to calm them down and to find the way to keep them positive. From the manager and colleagues feedback its says I was successful in it. My management was quite professional as I always understand what I suppose to do during the day, also during the day I was correcting if I need to do something else. I can find only positive moments from the time I spend with other workers as they all been helpful and very professional. I couldn't find any barriers and hard moments of its work experience, may be at the start I was little unconfident but after I met staff my doubts in myself just gone. I can easily describe my work experience as enjoyable, as I gained valuable knowledge and been around in friendly environment.
Nice work environment
Front of House (Former Employee) –  Manchester14 November 2018
A very nice place to work in, learned many Front of house skills and enjoyed the location close to Manchester Piccadilly. They provided a lot of different days of learning, culture and helping people.
PPI Department
Customer Associate (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset14 November 2018
You are expected to be in ten or so minutes before you start your shift to log in and open your systems. You should know what you are doing that day, unless something has changed recently (this happens a lot), and you should immediately open your case queue and begin working through customer claims. You need to start with the oldest cases and work from there. Written guidance is available but it is not very easy to use or written in an easy to understand way. Your team will have a Subject Matter Expert who doubles as your Deputy Team Leader. The Deputy Team Leader will often be the most hands-on with the team, whilst the Team Leader serves as more of a middleman between higher management and yourselves. It depends on the approach of each individual TL and team.
The systems tend to be slow at the best of times and often a whole system will have a bug or not be working at all. You will regularly use more than seven applications at once on a case and you have one, albeit largish, screen to use.
The general philosophy is to do what is best for the customer but sometimes decisions are made in which "the risk has been accepted" and you may feel pressured to put productivity over the quality of your work. Your case work is checked regularly by Quality Control agents and you are given support to improve your work. You may be put on an improvement plan if your work falls below a certain level and you may lose out on bonuses.
The permanent benefits are good but I would say the salary is a little under what you are due considering the core and extra responsibility you are expected to
  more... handle each day.
The office is generally relaxed with office banter and a smart-casual dress code. Your experience really depends upon which TL you have though. In past years they have held Christmas parties which are funded by the sale of the tickets to staff, there is not a budget for this.
I have tried to lay out the facts without too much emotive language but my personal experience was that is a bureaucratic and hypocritical company. I often felt that I had to compromise my morals in order to be seen as meeting my job role expectations. The pay, benefits, and absence procedures altogether are better than most places. If you believe in the saying "at the end of the day, it's a business" then you'd do well at Barclays.
Pros
smart-casual dress code, relaxed office environment, great colleagues
Cons
do as I say, not as I do
stressful but fun
Essential Banker (cashier) (Current Employee) –  Newport14 November 2018
I enjoyed the challenge but management need reevaluating. I work for Barclays for 6 years and every day was never the same. customers can be difficult staff are friendly and make the job enjoyable
Busy Call Centre with fun enviroment
Executive Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, United Kingdom14 November 2018
Working in Barclays was good learning experience, the workplace was always buys and the management were very helpful and available to talk when required.
A forward thinking company but it's desire to be a leader constrains it.
Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Knutsford12 November 2018
It can reward people for doing well but can also punish people who do well, you have to know what the rules are and use them to your advantage. Most jos pay quite well. The management tend to leave you to do your job so long as you are producing good work.
Pros
Pay and conditions
Cons
Can be dificult to get in to start with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barclays. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K