Barchester Healthcare Employee Reviews

Good company, poor management
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  Bedlington, Northumberland19 April 2018
The training courses were good and relevant to my job roll. However long hours and being expected to cover shifts left me feeling drained and I felt like I had no personal or family life. My family suffered. Manager not nice and unfriendly. Put me off my job. I had to leave in the end due to stress. Also staff work with little or no breaks. Which is not healthy. I was always dehydrated because I could not take a break due to the demand of the work load. Not enough staff ment that the carers felt too stretched out.
Also some seniors not all but some were not professional and treat the care staff terrible.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Management, no breaks
Head of Elderly frail Unit
Head of Unit (sister) (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom18 April 2018
I work in a lovely environment and my team are outstanding. I just feel time to move on,
I have asked 3 previous Deputies to put in set rotas but to no avail. Manager states they do not work, but I came from a nursing home where it did and currently still in place.
Pay is low to other nursing homes around Barchester and again are not improving current staffs morale.
Pros
working alongside marvellous people
Cons
long hours, poor pay ph, no set rotas
19 April 2018

We’re sorry to hear that you’re experiencing some issues – thank you for raising them. Please tell us more by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com and we’ll do all we can to address this.

Poor all round
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire12 April 2018
Barchester is financially driven, all about getting as much money as possible. Even to the point of accepting residents who are inappropriately placed in the care home. These inappropriate residents generate more funding because of their challenging and complex needs. This is to the detriment of the staff and all of the other residents who see this is their home now.
There has been a ban on using agency staff, but this means that current contracted staff are working up to 80 hours a week!!
This, in my opinion is an unsafe practice.
The carers have to work extremely hard in this unit because of the high dependency clients and contstant staff shortages.
One thing that I am furious about is that Barchester have a profit sharing scheme which often means some senior managers end up with double their annual salary. It is such a shame that this scheme does not filter down to the staff who really deserve it!!!
I have worked for Barchester for 5 months and I am leaving today because I do not feel valued and I do not want to be a part of such an inadequate service.
Pros
Lovely staff and residents
Cons
Too many residents for too few staff
16 April 2018

We know we can only care and support our residents and patients if we care for our employees. That’s why we’re disappointed to hear your experience wasn’t what you hoped it would be. We’d like to know more so we can look for ways to improve things. Please give us as much detail as possible about your concerns by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Not treated very well in my recent role as a housekeeper .
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom6 April 2018
I have nearly 10 years experience of housekeeping and cleaning care homes and sometimes I was questioned about my skills and standards which made me feel like I incompetent in my job role .

Teams are always short staffed which makes it very hard work .
Cons
Hard work when under staffed
9 April 2018

Our focus is always on delivering the very best care to our residents and patients, and we work hard to get our staffing levels right. Sometimes, things might be more pressurised because of circumstances beyond our control (although we try to plan for the unexpected too), but we would never want anyone to feel overworked on a day-to-day basis. We’re really sorry that you felt that way when you worked here. We’d love to know more about what you feel could be improved – please email us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Excellent place to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Fareham, Hampshire4 April 2018
Love the job and the home and how the managers run the plsce, they are very flexible and are willing to help where ever nessesary the training is very good and always have on hand support either face to face or on the internet, it is a very friendly and happy environment to work in
Pros
Very flexible
Cons
Long hoirs
6 April 2018

We’re really pleased to hear that you had such a positive experience with us – especially in terms of our training, support and development. Training underpins everything we do and our latest employee survey shows that training satisfaction levels have increased from 72% in 2015 to 85% today. We hope you consider returning to Barchester in the future.

proffesional work place
Mental Health Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Teesside, North Yorkshire4 April 2018
one of the leading companies in health care, with a extremely low turn over of staff. professional, knowledgeable, kind, friendly and very hardworking staff, caring for vulnerable adults.
6 April 2018

It’s always good to hear that our people love their work. Happy employees make for happy residents and patients, so we genuinely appreciate all that you do. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experiences.

Shocking place to work
Activities Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire4 April 2018
The home I worked in was full of problems. You took issues to management when they were there and they were swept under the carpet.
I informed them that a past employee were bad mouthing the company and the effect it could have on us all, they breached their confidentiality procedure and and had to constantly ask for an appointment which was basically forced. They use you to fill in when they need you they don't listen, and treat you as a payroll number. No wonder so many staff have moved onto better things. Including myself.
Pros
Some great staff
Cons
Too many to list
6 April 2018

It’s always disappointing to hear that anyone has had a bad experience with Barchester. Please let us know more about how we can improve by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com – we really hope you’ll consider returning to us in the future.

Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wouldham, Kent2 April 2018
Amazing staff who are lovely to the residents and family, and went above and beyond to help each other. The activities kept the residents moving around which was a delight to see.
3 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on life with Barchester. It’s always disappointing to see talented people move on, but we’re really pleased that you had such a positive and fulfilling experience with us. We’d love to welcome you back in the future.

hard work and could be stressful
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Newington31 March 2018
Hard work long hours could be a bit stressful but rewarding

staffing issues most of the time

not much help from management

high turnover of staff
Pros
apprieciated by residents and family
Cons
not great man managment skills
3 April 2018

Continuity of care is important to our residents and patients, and it’s just as important to our teams. That’s why we do all we can to create working environments that are inspiring, supportive and collaborative. In some cases, people need to leave for reasons that are unconnected to their job, but if you felt there were any negative workplace issues affecting employee turnover where you were based, we’d like to look into them. Please email us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Care Assisant
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fareham, Hampshire29 March 2018
I started at this home after we moved to Gosport with my hubbies job in the services.
The induction training we had was very thorough I wasn't allowed to work alone until I felt confident.
The staff team were fantastic what a good bunch the residents real characters. I was gutted when we had to move on particularly because the manager is very really understanding about my issues with childcare because I was on my own with no family support and my hubby away a lot
Pros
Good staff team loved it and understanding managers
Cons
Not really for me I was really happy there

ok
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland29 March 2018
never any staff always told new staff be in. mangment where a JOKE micromanagement always happened. even when you worked hard. go out kitchen for a minute to get dirty dishes your top to stay put like a child
pay was rubbish
bullies everywhere
management where a joke
never get a life alway doing over time
Pros
overtime pay
Cons
never getting real time off, pay, management
3 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about Barchester. We’re always looking at how we can improve, which is one of the reasons why we run an annual employee survey. The 2017 results show we’re moving in the right direction, with 82% saying they’d recommend us as an employer and 84% revealing that they would recommend a Barchester care home to someone they love. It’s always disappointing to hear about any negative experiences, and your views will help us to take our improvements even further. Please let us know more about the experience you had by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Good home
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway27 March 2018
Brilliant team work good staff. Welcoming and hard working staff. Good food clean environments. Friendly approachable manager. Residents happy and content.great activities
Pros
Friendly team
29 March 2018

We’re really sorry to see you go, but happy to know that you enjoyed life at Barchester so much. It helps to reaffirm that we’re getting things right for all the people we care for, and all the people who work for us.

Productive and caring workpalce
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  London20 March 2018
Flexible and assertive for things to go on well.
I learnt to be self-reliant and trustworthy.
Management was supportive and co-operative.
Punctuality, Maturity, Efficiency and confidentiality is the culture for the workplace.
The hardest part is when am running late.
I enjoyed taking care of the patience.
21 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and it’s great to hear that you enjoyed working at Barchester. Creating a warm and friendly culture continues to be a key priority for us. In fact, our latest employee survey shows that when it comes to our culture, our satisfaction levels are up from 59% in 2015, to 80% today. We’d love to welcome you back in the future – all of our people help to make this an enjoyable place to work.

A hive of bullies
Hospitality Hostess (Former Employee) –  Inverness20 March 2018
This is actually one of the worst places i have ever worked.
Everyone from the bottom to the top are bullies.
They dont care about the resisidents only the profits.
The food they served i wouldnt even give to my pet pig.
A truly awful place to work.
Pros
Cons
Minimum pay, too many 'managers'
21 March 2018

Providing the highest levels of care and support is what our success has been built on, so it’s incredibly disappointing to hear that you felt this was lacking when you worked here. We never want our people to feel uncomfortable or isolated, and we invest heavily in training for our managers. Whilst we don’t think your experience is common at Barchester, if it’s happening anywhere, it is unacceptable. We’d really appreciate it if you could please give us more details by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Lovely residents
Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk20 March 2018
Worked at Barchester in Ipswich. Whilst the residents were lovely. I never knew my regular work schedule. Poorly managed , complaints not dealt with, you were expected to work all the hours God sent. If your face doesn't fit they ask you to leave. Has bad bullying amongst staff. They do like if you raise a complaint, or try to make things better for your residents. Wages are rubbish for the amount of work and stress.
21 March 2018

We’re sorry you’ve left Barchester feeling negative. We continue to improve the support and guidance we offer our employees. Happiness within the business is vital, so your feedback is important. If you would like to give us further information regarding your experiences at Barchester, please email us at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Worse place ever
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cirencester, Gloucestershire19 March 2018
If I could leave 0 stars I would manager offers new people and younger people a lot more money then employees who have been there years. One rule for one another for everybody else. Promotions offered to new people over loyal long standing employees. Manager has no respect for the staff causing several people to leave in a short space of time. Inconsistent care and no respect for employees
21 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about Barchester. We’re always looking at how we can improve, which is one of the reasons why we run an annual employee survey. The 2017 results show we’re moving in the right direction, with 80% of people telling us they’re happy with our culture and 84% revealing that they would recommend a Barchester care home to someone they love. It’s always disappointing to hear about any negative experiences, and your views will help us to take our improvements even further. Please let us know more about the experience you had by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Overall View
Recruitment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire19 March 2018
It was fast paced role recruiting General Managers and above in the South. A Typical day was dealing with applications/agencies and proactively searching for candidates. Screening applications and organising interviews. The style of management and culture was very well balanced and I had autonomy to run my own day. The hardest part was finding the level of candidate required and the most enjoyable part was the pace at which the role evolved.
20 March 2018

We never like to say goodbye to talented people, but it’s great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you so much for your feedback, and perhaps one day you’ll come and work with us again.

Ethics of the work
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wembley17 March 2018
There was a day I was attached to work with a lady who happened to be a Muslim and we need to assist one of our residents to the smoking area because she is in the wheelchair. My colleague refused to assist the resident based on beliefs; later the RGN on duty asked me if I can give a helping hand and I did it with joy and the resident was happy for my action on that day.
Pros
Free taxi pick-up when working outside your home
Cons
long hour
Good company to work for
Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Isle of Wight and Deeping St James Lincs15 March 2018
Most days were extremely enjoyable but the bad days were not that bad. Learned a great deal about financial administration and the training was there if needed. Management was both good and bad, this obviously depended on the person applicable. Workplace culture was mostly good although this could probably be disputed in some cases. Hardest part of the job was disciplinary, all financial related parts of the job were the most enjoyable.
Pros
Good working conditions, good support from company head office.
16 March 2018

Worse place I have worked
Nvq 2 care assistant (Former Employee) –  Warminster12 March 2018
Worked at a barchester Home couple months ago for 4 years. When I first started it was the most amazing place to work at, I loved every single minute. As they years went on and management changed the home Spiralled out of control very fast. You could tell they only wanted money in there pockets, us care staff where crying Out for care staff when the home was very full and had residents with very high demands. But management just didn’t seem to care at all. The day I handed in my notice was the day I actually seen the true side off all care staff and management there. I was slated in staff meetings they couldn’t wait for me to go pretty much. But I tell you what out off the care staff, there was a very few that actually cared for there job and I can honestly say hand on heart that I was one off them, and to be degraded in a staff meeting when I bent over backwards for my residents I think is disgusting. Management treat the residents like babies & not adult. Don’t get me started on the amount of paperwork that gets thrown in there rooms to have to fill out, to the point where your duplicating yourself about 300 times a day. I felt like i had to spend more time on the paper work than actually with my resident one reason I left. I also was a nvq2 care assistant at the age off 22/23. My wage was 7.27 then went to 7.49 I think that this is disgusting. Someone that was over 25 but did not have there qualification was on more money than me.
Pros
Cons
Everything, pay rubbish, no food supplied for 12 hour shifts
13 March 2018

Giving our residents and patients quality one-to-one time is one of our biggest priorities – and nothing should ever get in the way of that. If you felt you weren’t being supported in delivering on that priority, please let us know as this is something we absolutely want to put right. Please email us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barchester Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9