Barchester Healthcare Employee Reviews

Friendly, but professional all the way
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wiltshire20 July 2018
My experience has been good, my colleagues are friendly & helpful & quickly made me feel part of the team. They showed me the ropes & it’s wasn’t long before I felt like I’d worked there for longer than I had.
Pros
Barchester Benefits Club
Cons
Long hours, lack of breaks
12 hour shifts, no time to spend with residents
Night / Day care assistant (Former Employee) –  Shropshire20 July 2018
No time to spend with residents, 12 hours of basically filling in paper work no person centre approach. Worst company I have ever worked for, and I’ve worked in Care for a number of years. Management aren’t helpful, staff are excellent
Pros
Staff work hard for low wage
Cons
Management, hours
Typical example of corporate takeover
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingsland18 July 2018
Once a lovely home for residents this home was taken over by a corporation and that began to show as it filtered down to those in a less .... advacned postion ?
Pros
Friendly residents, good pay
Cons
Corporate attitude towards care
19 July 2018

We really appreciate your feedback – it will help us to drive improvements across everything we do. To enable us to look at your concerns more closely, please email us at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you for sharing your views and best of luck with your future career.

It improves every day
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cirencester, Gloucestershire17 July 2018
I have worked for Barchester for a long time now an the company has had its ups an downs, the last year has been a trying time for us with hundreds of thousands being spent on home improvements making the environment better for all. Each and every resident is treated like an individual and if something can improve one persons stay with us the manger will do her best to make it happen. The home looks beautiful. There is a Barchester app which is simple to use offering discounts in so many shops an even discounted holidays. over all they have been excellent with working around my children growing up. Staff sickness can be a problem leaving the floors short of staff but ide say not as bad as most large care companies. The manager works hard to cover shifts and are taking on new staff all the time. We are trained with in an inch of our life’s mostly in the home and the opportunity to further yr career is extremely good here. Management support is extremely good even if you have a problem out of work our manager is happy to talk, couldn’t ask for better. Pay rates vary on qualifications but r very competitive with the area...I have worked on all units and in most departments and have never experienced a problem with anyone . The residents are mostly very happy here and we have had some beautiful letters from families who are overwhelmed with the love and care provided... a good place to work where I have personly made some life long friends .
Pros
Team work .
18 July 2018

We’re always looking at how we can best support our people, so it’s great to read reviews like this. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Poorly managed. Disrespectful of committed staff
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Laurel Bank16 July 2018
One RN and three carers are allocated to cover 20-30 residents on 12 hour shifts. Breaks are rarely, if ever taken by RNs due to the workload and lack of adequate working systems, which hinder progress of the working day.. ( CQC report June 2018 agrees with this point) Unattainable expectations of nursing staff are required by the management team, who regularly threaten all registrants with being reported to the NMC. There is lack of response to reasonable requests for training in using documentation. Nurses are constantly criticised for being unable to maintain documentation despite lack of training and no computerised note keeping system. All notes are handwritten. Company policies are kept on a computer in the office suite away from the clinical floors, and is inaccessible outside office hours, hence no access to supportive information, There is a prevalent blame culture. Constructive feedback is not welcomed by current management and staff are not valued or respected. Three carers and two nurses have resigned in the last fortnight due to the behaviour and attitude of the current management. The staff of all backgrounds are on the whole welcoming, dedicated and hard-working, There are always, of course exceptions, but on the whole a very supportive crew, barring a procession of managers in the past 12 months with one exception, who did not return after taking annual leave.
On commencing your post you are presented with a high quality induction file, which gives you the impression of a supportive and nurturing work environment. Don't be fooled by this. There is no mentorship
  more... system. Learning is largely based on being told off for something that you didn't do because you didn't know about it. Working for the NHS will not prepare you for all aspects of care management in a nursing home. This company seriously needs to value its staff and to invest in training in the core functions of care management (not nursing care..registered nurses are au fait with nursing care) peculiar to the company. The company relies on the DICE tool to determine staffing levels. It seems that this tool is flawed if it doesn't take into account dated practices and poor or non existent management systems that should enhance care.
It is a shame that this nursing home has had such a turnaround of inexperienced and inept managers in the last year. It is a well appointed building in a lovely location. They have largely done well in appointing decent staff, who are then subject to archaic management practices that belong in the seventies. Staff are deemed to be at fault for the poor retention rates. Managers take no responsibility for their lack of insight into problems encountered in the clinical areas.
Pros
Free lunch if any food is left after resident food service is completed, The interior design is pleasant and well appointed.
Cons
No time to eat the free lunch
17 July 2018

Our focus is always on delivering the very best care and support to our residents and patients, and we work hard to get our staffing levels right. Sometimes, things might be more pressurised because of circumstances beyond our control (although we try to plan for the unexpected too), but we would never want anyone to feel overworked on a day-to-day basis or feel unhappy. Which is why we always try to provide the highest level of support to our team, so it’s incredibly disappointing to hear that you felt this was lacking when you worked here. Whilst we don’t think your experience is common at Barchester, if it’s happening anywhere, we need to put it right. We’d really appreciate it if you could please give us more details by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Great home
Carer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barchester Cirencester16 July 2018
Having worked in Hunters Cate Centre for the last 10 years I have to say that it’s a fabulous, friendly environment to work in, from the management down to the kitchen assistant everyone is helpful.
The residents are extremely well cared for and shown love and affection.
The food is extremely good with special diets or request catered for without hesitation.
The pay is higher than the competitors in the local area, training is extremely good, and there lots of opportunities for career prospects and promotion.
Pros
Free lunches, free uniform, training, discounted shops
17 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying working at Barchester. Creating a warm and friendly culture has been a key priority for us. In fact, our latest employee survey shows that when it comes to our culture, our satisfaction levels are up from 59% in 2015, to 80% today. Thank you again for your contribution – and for playing your own part in making this an enjoyable place to work.

Hunters Care Centre
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cirencester Beeches16 July 2018
I have been working at Hunters for 6 months and must say training is amazing. The good is excellent I would know have put 2 stone on. You will always get staff sickness in a big home. The nurses are supportive and the manager is really good and you can go to her with anything. I think it is a shame that negative people cause problems when the rest of us work so hard.
The home is much better than the home I was previously working at in Cirencester, the manager especially!
Pros
Free lunch, shop discounts, fab training
Cons
Could dp eith air conditioning everywhdre
17 July 2018

It’s lovely to hear about your time with Barchester. We’re really pleased that you had such a positive experience with us and we wish you the very best of luck for the future.

Forget feeling valued
Carer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cirencester14 July 2018
On the surface the home looks great shame about the poor care.A terrible culture of bullying, staff sickness and no training. Place should be reported to the CQC.
Team leaders are a joke,some nurses should be sacked - such bad attitudes and poor practice - there are only there for the money, no compassion,respect for each other.Food is horrible.
Stay away unless you want to be working with some really awful staff.Clicky horrible place and no support from senior management.Lots of empty promises.
Pros
Paid breaks, meal provided
Cons
Inedible food, expected to work too many hours
16 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our careers. We’re always looking at how we can improve, which is one of the reasons why we run an annual employee survey. The 2017 results show we’re moving in the right direction, with 80% of people telling us they’re happy with our culture and 82% saying they’d recommend us as an employer. However, it’s always disappointing to hear about any negative experiences, and your views will help us to take our improvements even further. Please could you let us know more by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Ok place to work
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, Lancashire10 July 2018
Ok place to work never enough staff to give the care the residents deserve. Every one works well as a team to try and provide the care and to fill in the paper work correctly according to the policies and procedures. The management keeps changing not had a permanent manager since the beginning of the year. Let's hope this changes so we can make it a better place to work
11 July 2018

It’s really disappointing to hear that you’re not having a fully positive experience with us. We’d like to know more, so we can try to put things right. Please get in touch with us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com – we really appreciate your feedback.

ok to work
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Peterborough6 July 2018
I started at 9 and finished at 3 only got a half an hour break
the management was ok
I has a laugh with some of the staff
the hardest part of the job was moving to different units
the most enjoyable part of the job was Christmas
Pros
good money
Cons
not enough hours
9 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. If you'd like to provide any further information please email onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Understaffed and lack of support
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Essex5 July 2018
I don't feel as care staff you can really deliver person-centred care within this company due to having lack of staff therefore not being able to meet residents needs to their expectation. Lack of support from management, they also don't seem to be involved with the dementia unit. I think how much residents pay per week is astonishing when care can't be delivered to the highest standard due to too much pressure and more paperwork being required throughout the day. I found myself in the nurses station more often than not and it's getting worse.
High turn-over of staff and the pay is shocking considering how important each role is in every department. Complaints not being dealt with effectively and staff morale is awful.

Lovely staff and the residents are what make the shifts enjoyable.

I wouldn't recommend to anybody, the only positive is free meals on long shifts and the interior of the home's are lovely. No chance to really progress, avoid at all costs.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Lack of support
6 July 2018

We’re committed to giving you a great experience at Barchester. That’s why we’re so disappointed to hear that you’re experiencing some issues. Please let us know more by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com, and we’ll look into this more thoroughly.

poor management
Domestic Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire28 June 2018
All complaints were taken to the manager, which in turn were placed on her desk, and not dealt with immediately . Staff got away with everything from not answering nurse calls to leaving residents in wheelchairs for a long length of time, sometimes wet through. The Senior members of staff were no better, shouting out orders and not dealing with matters they are paid for.
All in all very poor practice I was glad to leave!!
Staff room was a disgrace no lockers for personal property
Pros
free lunch if available
Cons
some staff
29 June 2018

We’re sorry that you’ve decided to leave us, and that you didn’t have a completely positive experience with Barchester. Your feedback matters a lot, and we’ll definitely look at how we can improve things as we move forward. Please share your thoughts by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Hmm
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ashford, Kent26 June 2018
Enjoyed my work until someone got in the way, I was made to leave and made unhappy in the Work place
No support at all
Not a friendly place. Had to make complaints never looked into.
Pros
Training
28 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're sorry you feel negatively about working at Barchester. We continue to improve the support we offer our employees, so your feedback is important. If you would like to offer further information about your experiences, please email us at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Don't go there
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  London24 June 2018
This is the worse company to work for
The top directors and management are bullies
They treat the residents as objects
Run away as far as you can

They don't care about the residents or staff
All the nice decorations is a show off
It's like an iceberg
Pros
Money is good
Cons
Poor culture, bullies
25 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about Barchester. We’re always looking at how we can improve, which is one of the reasons why we run an annual employee survey. The 2017 results show we’re moving in the right direction, with 80% of people telling us they’re happy with our culture and 82% saying they’d recommend us as an employer. It’s always disappointing to hear about any negative experiences, and your views will help us to take our improvements even further. Please let us know more about the experience you had by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Devalued & overworked
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Drummond grange13 June 2018
The ethos of BHC is a1 however the putting into practice is very very disappointing.
The residents are very well looked after that is however down to the staff who for the most part are amazing.
As an employee though you are undervalued overworked treated like a number if your face doesn't fit. If it does forget about it you can get what you want when you want. Would I recommend BHC as a place to work most definitely absolutely bloody not.
Pros
Paud breaks, good team.
Cons
Devalued, overworked, just a number, disrespected.
15 June 2018

We’re dedicated to putting people first – both our patients and our teams. If you’re experiencing any issues, it’s important to us that we try to resolve them. Please tell us more by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

14 June 2018

Horrible
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire6 June 2018
When i first started it was such a pleasent friendly home. Staff worked well together and thr skill mix was brilliant. After my first manager left and a new one came in the home just started to go down hill. Everything was changed including the skill mix. All nvq 3s were placed downstairs with none being upstairs meaning alot of staff were re-arranged between the two floors. This left alot of the residents confused and a few angry as theyd grown close to their key workers and gained trust in them. That manager left within a few months and we got another one which changed everything again. Things got a little better there was a couple more managers but staff were leaving and alot were un reliable so we were constantly running short staffed qith no help of the managee just the nurses. The last manager i worked with there was the main reason i left. She came in and basically upset every member of staff within a week (other than the obvious brown noses) she moved staff around again brought in new uncapaple staff, training was horrendous, holidays were messed up and shifts patterns were all changed including how the rota worked. (There was nothing wrong with it to start with). Then she had the idea of getting the home refurbished. All of the money was spent on the downstairs department, yes it looks incredible but upstairs hadnt been touched for at least 10 years! After downstairs was re decorated she had decided that residents who were private paid would be placed downstairs and council/Dementia wpuld be upstairs. To me and alot of the other carers it was like the residents on council  more... were being segrigated because they couldnt afford to pay £1000 a week. That was the first kick for me to leave. After a couple of weeks i was off sick for personal reasons for a month. When i came back the staff i had worked with for over 6 years were stood talking about me in the corridor clearly in ear shot of where i was stood. I was then told that the majority of staff had been talking about me whilst i was off. I realised then how clicky and b**chy the place had got and left with immediate affect for my own health. Since then 4 of my co-workers, all amazing, caring staff have left as its got worse. 18 residents to two members of staff and a nurse. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone who wants a job in care.  less
Pros
Nurses
Cons
Everything but nurses
8 June 2018

Providing the highest levels of care and support is what our success has been built on, so it’s incredibly disappointing to hear that you felt this was lacking when you worked here. We never want our people to feel uncomfortable or isolated, and we invest heavily in training for our managers. Whilst we don’t think your experience is common at Barchester, if it’s happening anywhere, it is unacceptable. We’d really appreciate it if you could please give us more details by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Hard and challenging environment to work in
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chalfont Saint Peter, Buckinghamshire6 June 2018
The company seems to having a big management problem. Focused more on getting money then providing excellent care for their clients. Underpaid care, kitchen, cleaning and auxiliary staff.

The only plus is that people who work there and clients are nice and company pays on time although omissions in worked hours and inaccuracy happen relatively often.
Pros
Pay on time
Cons
Low rates of pay and lots of management issues
7 June 2018

Delivering exceptional person-centred care and support is always our focus – and always will be. We do need to make a profit, otherwise we wouldn’t be able to invest in our services and staff, but we’re certainly not an organisation that puts profit over people. We’d really appreciate getting more details about your concerns over the levels of care and support where you were working. We’ll then review things thoroughly – please email us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Terrible place to work
Activities Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom5 June 2018
This is one of the worst places I have worked. I only stayed so long because the residents were lovely.
Toxic working environment, poorly managed from the top down, treat staff like they are replaceable and dirt on your shoe
Huge turnover of staff. People calling in sick all the time and having to cover other roles are expected daily.
Bullying was allowed to continue even after being reported to area management. If you have any respect for yourself don't work here.
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Everything else.

not what it seems,
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  South West4 June 2018
i worked in a care home in the south, the residents are amazing, the home was a nice environment, was always on the go you would have to be doing a task on top of a task, the management wasn't all they good you raise problems to the manager and she would just sweep it under the rug and forget about it, it felt that you never had a social life even if you had a day off they would always ring you to do extra shifts, the hardest part of the job was not being able to sit down and talk with the residents as if you did this then the manager would come up to you and tell you off for speaking to a resident!! the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all the lovely residents.

but as working there i wouldnt recommend it, pay is ok if you do extra hours, when new people join and seem to think they have the priority to run the shift when they have been at the home a month i do not agree on because in a month you cant not get to know over 40 residents and there needs, also some care assistants got paid breaks and others who have been there 5 or more years never get their breaks paid for
Pros
free lunches if you worked 12 h our shifts
Cons
sometimes you dont get a break
7 June 2018

We really appreciate your feedback, but it’s always disappointing to hear that someone wasn’t able to get the most out of their role with us. Please let us know more about your concerns by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Gardener/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  London4 June 2018
Not appreciated by Manager. Work moral within staff very low. Unable to finish one job before being ordered by manager of the home to do something else.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barchester Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9