Barchester Healthcare Employee Reviews

Caring deputy manager
Bank Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, Tyne and Wear21 October 2018
A caring compassionate deputy manager who cares about the employees and service users... always took the time to listen
Company paid for training and travel to get there one of the most caring deputy manager iv came across in healthcare.. only issue I had was other employees disrespectful uncompassionate individuals three care assistants do not deserve to be in care arguing in front of service users and making a terrible working environment for other caring care assisstant that actually do care like myself.. although I was working as a bank care assistant I would of have been given a full time contract unfortunately I left after doing all most doing all the training...
Pros
Paid training
Cons
Some poor quality staff
Poor company to work for
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  intake, UK18 October 2018
A company who treats you with no respect. The management short staff you all the time. Newer employees with no qualifications and no experience receive more pay than employees with qualifications related to the job. Pay was also below minimum wage until I raised an issue with them. No sick pay. Weekend work nearly every week. Never worked for a company so bad. Home nearly shut down due to the way it operated. Management look down on you.
Pros
free meal
Cons
Hours, pay, horrible managment
19 October 2018

Our focus is always on delivering the very best care to our residents and patients, and we work hard to get our staffing levels right. Sometimes, things might be more pressurised because of circumstances beyond our control (although we try to plan for the unexpected too), but we would never want anyone to feel overworked on a day-to-day basis. We’re really sorry that you felt that way when you worked here. We’d love to know more about what you feel could be improved – please email us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Really bad home management appalling
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Chester18 October 2018
I am former employee of oak grange Chester it’s a terrible place to work manager is awful residents get treated really bad and staff are all leaving and really unhappy do not work there the work load is ridiculous
19 October 2018

We know we can only care and support our residents and patients if we care for our employees. That’s why we’re disappointed to hear your experience wasn’t what you hoped it would be. We’d like to know more so we can look for ways to improve things. Please give us as much detail as possible about your concerns by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

An interesting and caring job
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport15 October 2018
I clean and maintain dishes and service different floors with meals, I also help where it's needed and help to maintain cleanliness I have had fire training health and safety infection control dysphagia and choking..
Pros
Meals are supplied when appropriate
Cons
The hours can be long depends on duty i
16 October 2018

We’re always looking at how we can best support our people, so it’s great to read reviews like this. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Racist, under valued
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London13 October 2018
I have worked for this company for a while now and I used to enjoy my job. I have recently handed in my notice because I see that no matter how hard you work, you will never be appreciated. You have carers who are doing they’re job being treated like dirt by management. Always short of staff, too many relatives working together and god forbid you are of ethnic minority, that’s when they treat you even worse. In the home that I work the racism has become so blatant you cannot hide it. You have qualified nurses being undermined by individuals that haven’t studied a day in they’re life. They pay theyre staff minimum wage, but they have all theyre regional directors park they’re fancy company cars in the car park to show where our pay rises go. Some staff have worked here for 20 years and are still on minimum wage.
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
Poor management
16 October 2018

Our focus is always on delivering the very best care and support to our residents and patients, and we work hard to create a happy environment for our teams. We’re very concerned by your comments and we never want our people to feel uncomfortable or isolated, which is why we invest heavily in training for our managers. Whilst we don’t think your experience is common at Barchester, if it’s happening anywhere, it is unacceptable. If you could get in touch with us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com so we can look into your concerns more closely. Thank you.

not good
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fareham, Hampshire6 October 2018
constant staff shortages,
many many safeguarding issues,
management that say what they think you want to hear and then no results,
serious complaints fall on deaf ears, one rule for one and another rule for others,
residents complaints not listened to,
its an ok place to work i guess but pay is rubbish,
constantly changing the goalposts, a new rule and backtracking on a weekly almost daily basis so you never know where you stand.
a definite 'if your face fits' culture.
for the amount of money the residents pay the food is poor.
home is all top show,
CQC is a total joke, never been any unannounced inspections, senior staff and management are informed in advance.....hence.... the nice food being 'out' that day, full staffing levels that day, extra cleaning etc that day ......then straight back to normal afterwards.
Pros
the residents
Cons
poor management
9 October 2018

Delivering exceptional person-centred care and support is always our focus – and always will be. We do need to make a profit, otherwise we wouldn’t be able to invest in our services and staff, but we’re certainly not an organisation that puts profit over people. We’d really appreciate getting more details about your concerns over the levels of care and support where you were working. We’ll then review things thoroughly – please email us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Management only out for themself and how much money they can make at any cost
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Isle of Wight6 October 2018
What a horrible place to work. The blame culture is unreal, residents left in awful states. Management have no idea what it is like for staff working on a day to day basis, and will not listen when it is repeatedly brought to attention. They expect the earth with no support and they will work you to the bone for minimum wage. Staff don't actually get to spend any time with residents as a result they paying £1500 a week to be bored and lonely. The home manager is a joke a alot of staff leave as a result so as a result each shift is under staffed. At one point some staff had to work 24hr in one go just so residents would be safe.
Pros
Staff support for each other
Cons
Management just after more money.
9 October 2018

Giving our residents and patients quality one-to-one time is one of our biggest priorities – and nothing should ever get in the way of that. If you felt you weren’t being supported in delivering on that priority, please let us know as this is something we absolutely want to put right. Please email us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Very happy place to work
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea5 October 2018
Recently returned to working to Barchester 18 months ago after previously working for them for 8 years. Its a great company to work for where i feel valued and supported. Great team working in the home which makes us achieve high standards of care for our residents.
Pros
Great benefits such as profit share, golden hello, employee of the month
9 October 2018

We’re delighted that you feel our rewards and benefits are fair, and that you’re getting the most out of our bonus scheme. It’s something we’ve been working hard to get right – in fact, our annual employee survey shows that 65% of our people now believe they’re being rewarded fairly, compared to 31% in 2015. That’s a big step in the right direction.

Avoid !
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cubbington mill4 October 2018
I worked as an admin assistant with Barchester for a few months. It is the worse place I have ever worked. The manager only cares about money not the people who pay over £1500 pw just to sit around bored. And the administrator I worked alongside was a horrible bully she expected you to be able to complete tasks without being shown and was extremely rude to both myself staff and visitors! This job role actually drove me to be signed off sick with depression. The carers are all lovely girls but avoid this place like the plague. I now have a new job where my colleagues are all lovely people who know how to treat others :)
Pros
None !!
5 October 2018

We’re sorry you felt this way about your time at Barchester. We would like to hear further details on your experiences with us. If you could please email us at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Night Staff needs recognition
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Marple, Greater Manchester4 October 2018
Staff were very friendly and for most of it it was a very fun place to work. Being a care assistant is a very challenging but also a very rewarding job role. I work nights, however, I feel like the night staff don't get as much recognition nor do we get involved in decision makings compared to day staff. Night staff are just as important as the day staff.
5 October 2018

Exceptional patient care and support starts and ends with you. If you’re not fully happy, then we’re not going to be at our best either. We’d really like to know more about the issues you’re experiencing so we can look into them in more depth. Please get in touch with us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Unique and Caring Workplace
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire2 October 2018
I have worked for Barchester for many years and have had the ability to progress from a activities co-ordinator to a carer, a nurse, a nurse manager and now a deputy manager. In this time I have also managed to marry and raise two children. I cannot praise Barchester enough for the support or my managers for making it possible to have a work life balance. I have had the opportunity to progress in my career and also be there for my children. The benefits are great with offering a good holiday package and childcare vouchers.
Pros
Job security and advancement
3 October 2018

We’re really pleased to hear that you’re having such a positive experience with us – especially in terms of our training, support and development. Training underpins everything we do and our latest employee survey shows that training satisfaction levels have increased from 72% in 2015 to 85% today. We hope you continue to learn, develop and thrive at Barchester.

Treat you like animals
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff1 October 2018
Suspect you to come to work in a Coma. Very institutional at times. No respect given by management. Negative environment everywhere you go. Each for there own.
2 October 2018

We’re sorry that you’ve decided to leave us, and that you didn’t have a completely positive experience with Barchester. Your feedback matters a lot, and we’ll definitely look at how we can improve things as we move forward. Please share your thoughts by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Horrible! all employees are bullies!
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Fontwell, West Sussex26 September 2018
•Every single staff member is a complete bully!
•The staff have no respect for any of the residents.
•Unless you smoke and have a gossip (not in the click) in the smoking area 800 times a day staff will turn their nose up at you.
•You’ll never get a payrise or be praised.
•Overworked,underpaid and most certainly unappreciated.
28 September 2018

Providing the highest levels of care and support is what our success has been built on, so it’s incredibly disappointing to hear that you felt this was lacking when you worked here. We never want our people to feel uncomfortable or isolated, and we invest heavily in training for our managers. Whilst we don’t think your experience is common at Barchester, if it’s happening anywhere, it is unacceptable. We’d really appreciate it if you could please give us more details by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Bad Management Rude Staff
Carer (Former Employee) –  Salisbury18 September 2018
The management of this Care Home was dreadful. No support where needed.

Spend to much time and money decorating and making the place look 'Pretty'. When money could be spent on better things for the residents.

The attitude of SOME activity staff was appalling. They will refuse to have certain residents in the activities. They will not have any residents from upstairs a lot of the time, they will send them back up as there isn't enough room.

Very good at making excuses to cover themselves.
Cons
Long Shifts Short Breaks No free lunches

PCB personal review
Learning & Dvelopment Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moorgate16 September 2018
- A typical day at work is to provide telephone and email support.
- I have learnt to co-ordinate and schedule the daily training schedule using the in-house database.
- The layers of management is typical of most businesses with structured departments within an organisation.
- The workplace culture encourages on-going personal and job statutory development.
- The hardest part of the job is to negotiate the return of signed attendance sheets.
- The most enjoyable part of the job is to manage the complete record for each training courses.
Pros
Cross cover and shared knowledge within the immediate team.
19 September 2018

Thank you for your feedback – we value all responses and appreciate you taking the time to leave yours.

Internal training
Operational Trainer (Current Employee) –  Inverness15 September 2018
All new staff are trained internally over a five day period and complete their induction within three months. Current staff are re-trained annually known as refresher training. In addition the heads of departments are trained in Basic life Skills and the role of a fire marshall.
Pros
work your own diary
Cons
can be tiring but fun

Hardwork, yet rewarding
Full-time Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cornwall7 September 2018
I worked 12 hour night-shifts which were difficult at times, and was offered alternative shift patterns when this was problematic due to personal problems for a time. A tight-knit community of colleagues in providing quality care to our residents. The hardest part of the job was the emotional and physical demands. It is at times draining to have some many dependent upon you and I think at times resources are stretched - that being said I enjoyed my time working with Barchester. There were also opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Understanding management
Cons
Long Hours
11 September 2018

Thank you for your message. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review – we're sad to lose you, but wish you luck in your future career.

Good friends made
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom5 September 2018
I have worked here for 2 years and 10 months and the staff are kind and families are all very appreciative and caring, staff support each other. Working for Barchester I understand the importance of life and to not take things and people for granted
Pros
My Best friends work here
7 September 2018

Words can’t describe.
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire2 September 2018
What can I say, the management is a joke and has absolutely no respect for the staff, nor the residents. Staff are over worked, and there is never enough staff on the floor so residents get poor care due to staffing levels. Staff are always rushed off their feet and very rare do you get to take your legal time allocated breaks, when management were told they said it was the staffs fault!
Shifts get changed, so if your on shift the next day they will change it and not tell you so you will come to work without knowing your not suppose to be there!
Some of the staff are rude and arrogant, and act like petulant school children.
If you want to be a carer for the rest of your life, this is the place to work, but if you want to progress and do qualifications within care then I do not recommend this company, they will tell you that they will sort it and then never will! Absolutely no support whatsoever!
When applying for the job, the hourly rate offered on the job ad was £9.50 this was not the actual hourly rate, false advertising.
The attitude of the whole place is disgusting, I would not recommend working here ever!
The residents are absolutely lovely, it’s a shame the cooperate company taking over the home has damaged it so much it’s almost beyond repair.
Pros
Residents, free lunch
Cons
All of above
4 September 2018

We’re sorry you’ve left Barchester feeling negative. We continue to improve the support and guidance we offer our employees. Happiness within the business is vital, so your feedback is important. If you would like to give us further information regarding your experiences at Barchester, please email us at onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Hard work but geel valued and suppieted
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire29 August 2018
My home strikes for the best for it's residents. It's hard, demanding and at times our best isn't what residents feel is the best, but we work to the best to make the best for everyone living at tge home. Housekeeping are brilliant, kitchen make superb meals, admin welcome everyone with a friendly face, nurses are committed and competent, maintainance woek hard to make the grounds beautiful and fix any faults, activity team help all round, care staff are the true heros. I wish we could pay them more. Myself I'm supported by a brilliant manager who sees my skills and utilises them. I'm moving on up in the company and am 100% happy.
Pros
Pay, support, training
Cons
Training can be a 2 hour drive away
31 August 2018

It’s always good to hear that our people love their work. Happy employees make for happy residents and patients, so we genuinely appreciate all that you do. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experiences.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barchester Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9