Barbour

Barbour Employee Reviews

United Kingdom48 reviews
A well established company but no real vision and no strong decision makers quick turnover of staff. Lots of money wasted through inefficiency New ideas are rarely embraced
Pros
Good discount on product
Cons
Non decisive management. Lots of swapping/changing
As I joined Barbour during COVID-19, I had two interviews conducted over Teams, discussing a task I'd worked on at home, as opposed to a group interview. The recruitment process was informative throughout due to strong communication, taking away any anxiety surrounding finding a placement.

I was provided with support and guidance, and a handover period with the previous student, allowing me to settle into the role. Brand values and tone were discussed to understand the company better.

All employees were welcoming, friendly and willing to help, creating a very supportive environment. It has been good to have a real role within the team, as opposed to completing internship errands.
Pros
Great support, Friendly and helpful team
Cons
Balancing WFH aswell as office hours, busy days
The recruitment process was very professional and personal, they had very open communication throughout. All questions or queries were answered very quickly. The interview struck the right balance between personal and professional based questions. I was provided with all the information i could want before my first day which allowed me to feel at ease and excited. Everyone is so lovely and it is such a supportive environment to learn and develop.
I previously worked for Barbour for three years, and have just returned as an Account Manager after three years at a sports brand. The benefit of leaving and coming back is that I have been able to objectively see the value of the brand; their worth as an employer, the brand's reputation and the quality of product.

I am comforted by what has remained the same and what has progressed. The majority of the sales and HO team has remained the same, as has the esteemed product and rich family values. What has progressed is the resources, management structure, processes and systems, and the induction process - which has been really thorough and comprehensive.

After gaining more industry experience I am now fully aware there aren't many brands like Barbour, who have a worldwide reputation whilst retaining a family feel.
I joined Barbour during the COVID-19 crisis and despite the uncertainty in the world, I was recruited and on-boarded smoothly in what was the most comprehensive and professional interview process I have experienced.

The role is challenging and rewarding with daily opportunities to learn and gain further skills.

The culture and management style is open, honest and friendly with the business values clearly communicated and a real sense of pride, heritage and quality is seen throughout.

The hardest part of the job has been settling in while WFH but with a welcoming and friendly team, I have been able to find my way without any issues.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working for such an amazing employer, brand and team of colleagues across all areas, departments and locations of the business and the values they represent.
Pros
Staff discount, career progression, job satisfaction, winning team
I started my year long placement in 2019, the team/management were great and really supported me throughout the year. Would highly recommend to any students looking for a placement in the North East! Easy to follow application process and they keep you fully informed throughout. Fab benefits and discount. I’ve learnt lots to contribute to my studies and future career.
Pros
Great support from managers, friendly environment, good opportunity to learn
I only worked here for one day, seeing how the behind the scenes work, it was interesting to see how each team member had an input in the outcome of the photoshoots.
A great brand to work for with extensive history behind it. My time at Barbour helped me climb the retail ladder and provided exposure to key stake holders in the business. However, the salary was not competitive for the area and was less than the previous Store Manager even though we had the same level of retail experience. And the DTC function of the business lacks progression. You HAVE to be a self motivator because there isn’t much support or guidance for retail managers.
Enjoyed working there. Management caring and understanding, everyone is working as a team. There is no hardest or easiest part - you enjoy working with people and providing Excellent Customer Service or not. And I did. Every minute of it.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Barbour?
Many failed managers, even one who ended up in jail!
Relaxed nice atmosphere with a good boss but stressful during peak seasons and under strict management
Typical day at work is slow paced after christmas, as are most retailers. Friendly customers most of the time and a great team to work with.

Cons; the pay could be higher to meet living standards and staff on the same job title should be paid the same. I don't really understand why staff who have the same job title and perform the same tasks are paid differently by such a big company. Living expenses are the same for everyone. Also having a unpaid half hour break while doing a 8 hour shift doesn't seem fair either. Getting food and eating and getting back to work can be very rushed and stressful. Should be able to relax on your break if your going to be on your feet for 8 hours.

Feel like the company should do more towards duty of care towards staff, It will give everyone a lot more motivation.
I have found working at Barbour extremely stressful and the supervisors very unhelpful and the work colleagues very clicky I would not recommend working for this company.
I feel the place has gone downhill since new management have taken over ,the pressure you are put under to achieve targets is way too much for the just above minimum wage you earn
Very well kept work environment, great experience for anyone who likes a busy atmosphere and love meeting new faces.
Brilliant for youth and and adults looking to build their CV.
Great company to work for, great incentives. Always trying to improve and help employers gain more invaluable skills.
Downside is that the management is not so good. Other than that great to work for.
Signed up through agency little or no chance of permanent work. Job its self is easy enough following hand held PDI picking the correct items and the correct quantity.
friendly staff
good on the job training

management happy to explain protocol in detail

busy location

easy to commute

no commission based sale

Christmas party paid for
Good workplace as a part time role whilst at university. Workplace culture was positive, flexible shifts with extra to work if wanted. A little bit boring as retail tends to be and cold when standing around in the winter with the doors open but in general good.
Nice place to work, staff really friendly also, this company always aims to look after their staff and offer them a chance to progress if said chances come up.
I loved my time at Barbour, the manger was lovely and the team very welcoming. Unfortunately for me I realized that retail clothing was not my passion
Pros
Team
Cons
Clothing store
This is a great company to work for as the wage and benefits are excellent. Every member of staff who works in Barbour is helpful and a good individual to work alongside with.
A typical day would be working with customers to find their perfect jacket or other garments.

I learned a lot about the company itself and all of its products.

All management that I came across in my time there were amazing and very helpful.

The hardest part of the job was learning everything that customers would need to know but the most enjoyable part was when customers really enjoyed their purchases and told us so.