Bannatyne Employee Reviews

Exciting Company to Work For!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands3 January 2019
I have worked for Bannatynes since they bought out Livingwell in 2006 and thoroughly enjoy going to work. The team are like family.

You get lots of support and there are many progression opportunities throughout the group. I myself started as part time Receptionist, then moved to Club Administrator and now General Manager.

There are lots of staff benefits included and an achievable bonus structure in place and you get recognition for your work too.

The only negatives are the shifts can be tiring, pay could be better for some roles and there is no sick pay.

I would definitely recommend working for Bannatynes as they are leading the way in the Fitness Industry. It’s an exciting time to be an employee!
Pros
Career Progression & Gym Membership
Cons
Shifts & no sick pay
Disappointing
Domestic Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire5 February 2019
My experience working here wasn't the best. But meeting new People every day bought a smile to my face. However, staff changed my Rota without consulting me. I turned up to start my shift only to be faced with someone else working my shift so i was told i wasn't needed. I felt let down by this team. Very clicky group and I felt pushed out. I worked 5 and of 7. I enjoyed the work as it was busy and forfilling but felt under pressure even when taking my lunch break because the gym/spa towels needed putting in/ taking out of machines . Someone new started and i was insulted by her on most days, all she did was boast and belittle me and went on about being a better cleaner ,even though I had high standards ! I raised my concerns but the manager wasn't supportive at all. I ended up walking out of this employment and I would never work here again.
Pros
Free use of equipment.staff discount on food/drink.
Cons
Unsupportive team. Pay
worst management ever
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Colchester5 October 2018
This job was awful, we were always understaffed we barely have any benefits while working there, yes we do get gym membership BUT who wants to go gym when you were busy working on your feet the whole day/evening.

They took the bank details themselves and they paid me late and did not even apologise for their own mistake.

Bad management, i had to deal with rude customers and instead of my manager telling them i am doing my job just fine since its over 200 people and there were only 3 waitresses, and 1 person behind doing all the drinks.
She told me to leave, so i did and when i left later on i received and email telling me i left without letting a manager know? When they were the ones that told me to leave. Anyway would not work here.
Very poor company to work for
Fitness manager (Former Employee) –  Kent8 November 2018
Apply for the job
Get offered a contract
3 days before your due to start they’ll phone you up and lower your salary by over £1000!
Leaving you with no option but to turn the job down,

Rubbish management , rubbish head office , rubbish management salary’s

Bannatynes , over the next 2 years your company will loose 1000’s of members and employees, watch it happen!
Pros
There isn’t any
Cons
Rubbish pay
Official response from Bannatyne
13 November 2018

Bannatyne Group Response 13 Nov 2018 – HR Coordinator

First of all, thank you for your open and honest feedback. As we look to become an employer of choice it is essential we listen and act on all feedback particularly areas we can improve on. It is disappointing to hear that in this instance we have failed to provide you with a great new employee experience we would really appreciate it if you would contact our HR team on 01325 356677 to discuss with us and enable us to fully understand your situation. That way, lessons can be learned and shared to ensure we avoid making the same mistakes and ensure other new employees do not experience anything similar to you in the future.

demanding but rewarding job role
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Kent18 December 2018
Huge variety of day to day activities keeps the job role interesting and forever changing. The demands on the job are hgh, but can be rewarding both financially and personally.
Pros
benefits - membership and 3rd party - flexible working patterns
Cons
occasional long hours - expectations from job role
Fun workplace
Beauty Therapist and Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London1 November 2018
I started there the first time fresh out of college and really enjoyed all the courses they sent me on. I also found it a fun working environment with great benefits of free gym passes and beauty treatments
Pros
free membership
Cons
anti social hours
Brilliant company to work for
Call Centre Administrator (Former Employee) –  Head Office, Darlington27 April 2018
I have worked for Bannatyne for just over 2 years and have had a great time. I originally went for this position as a stop gap and actually ended up enjoying it so much I stayed, and even applied for higher positions.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, supervisors and management are a great support and they really do help you to get the best work/home balance.

I left due to ill health, but if this ever changed in the future, I would have no hesitation but to reapply.
Pros
Great staff benefits, support and training, friendly staff and environment.
Cons
Shifts can be up to 8pm, and weekend work, which doesn't suit some people, however never an issue for me.
fun,interesting and friendly
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire25 August 2018
Working at bannatynes has given the confidence and self confidence i need to better myself for future career opportunities and day the day life the staff are all friendly and encouraging when completing tasks for the company. Being at bannatynes I have learnt how to work efficiently as a team during busy shifts and express my opinion in the workplace without fear of judgment. The management at bannatynes are friendly and listen and take in all requests for holidays and shift queries. They review my work progress to help me improve in my workplace and become a more efficient worker.The hardest part of my job is the different hours that are provided and some hours could be difficult to work my everyday life around.The shifts can get very busy and although the staff who are available are hardworking, there is not enough staff to provide all the services we needed to give customers.The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people who make me want to work harder and who push me to be better people who you can consider friends even outside of work there is not one person i wouldn't recommend this job to i have loved every minute of it!
Pros
good people, Great working experiance
Cons
minimum wage, varied hours
Avoid at all costs
Fitness Advisor/Receptionist/Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester22 August 2018
They were underpaying me and refused to pay minimum wage until i got HMRC involved to force payments.

Awful management, they change shifts with no notice and expect your life to revolve around your less than minimum wage job.

Awful pay, overworked for a fitness job, you get paid the same as cleaners and reception staff despite having to pay for your qualifications.
Pros
Decent class timetable
Cons
Long hours, low pay, terrible management
Worse place I've ever worked!!!
Spa Therapist (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester23 January 2019
I Worked at bannatyne spa chepstow street and its the worse place to work!!! The staff i worked with are lovely and the personal trainers the manger thinks he's something special and he doesn't care about staff just pleasing clients and gym members. I worked in spa and it was always back to back with treatments sometimes we would not have dinner as treatments would run over and no body was bothered the Manager of the spa was horrible and rude could say a bit of a bully she did nothing and put all her clients in to other peoples collums. the spa staff always worked there butts off but no recognition for nothing the place needs a good lick of paint and they was always work above us being done which would lead to noisy treatment rooms. I would never work for this company again its disgusting. You need to look out and look after your employees better for somebody that loves working in spa environment and healing people it has honestly put me off working in a spa again !!!!
Pros
you could use gym spa when ever for free
Cons
long hours 30 min dinner that's only break allowed
Great opportunity for career growth
Manager (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria18 December 2018
During my time working with Bannatyne I have always been given the opportunity to grow my career with training initiatives offered to me and my colleagues.
I am currently working through a Diploma in Leadership and Management which not only directly assists me with my daily work but allows me to help grow my team and their success.
Pros
Career Progression
Hard work but very rewarding
Spa manager (Current Employee) –  Barnsley11 December 2018
A typical day in the spa at Bannatynes consists of performing a variety of treatments to both club members and spa day guests. Treatments can range from massage and facials to waxing and nail treatments. Although the hardest part of the job is how busy we can be I do feel that client interaction and making someone feel good about themselves makes the day worthwhile.

During my career at Bannatynes I have learned a huge amount! Progressing from Spa Therapist to Spa Manager and then taking on the extra task of regional trainer there is a huge opertunity for career progression and climbing up the ladder.
Pros
Internal progression
Great Place to work
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire15 January 2019
I have worked at Bannatynes for the last 7 years. Within this 7 years I have been on many courses and have progressed to a Regional Role. It is a great place to work as there is always a great atmosphere and a buzz in the club where I am based. There are a few things I would change (sick pay for genuine sickness and the salaries could be a little higher.

I would recommend it for a place of work as there are opportunities if you want to work at progression.
Pros
Great Work Life Balance
Cons
Sick Pay / Higher Pay
Bannatyne Spa
Spa therapist (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire26 June 2018
Bannatyne Spa is a lovely place to work, all the team are friendly and helpful. Staff benefits and discounts are very good, they offer lots of training to help you develop and achieve targets set for you.
Working for Bannatyne sucks the happiness out of you.
Front of House Assistant (Former Employee) –  South East10 October 2018
When applying for the job, I expected a warm, welcoming environment full of happy people to work for the premium brand and use the facilities.

I applied for the job to fill a stop-gap and did so for the simple, easy job, with little responsibility and stress - I knew from the outset the pay was terrible, however I didn't apply for the money, I applied for a nice place to work.

The reality:

Weak club management, high staff turnover, low morale, unhappy members, facilities beginning to show age. Bills not paid, and deliveries not made.

The club GM doesn't employ enough staff to cover the minimum duties, some departments are either understaffed or unstaffed - other departments are forced to cover this without any merit or recognition.
Pros
Free use of the facilities
Cons
Everything else
great at first... went dowhill rapidly!
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Darlington13 October 2018
Really don't get enough pay for what is expected of you. You have to be jack of all trades. Staff all up their own. Trust no-one! Minute your back is turned they're talking about you. Keep head down and mouth shut. Because the moment you say something your words are twisted by another. Two faced ego power boosting attention seeking drama loving idiots.. If you are not in the "click" you're singled out. They try bringing you down and belittleing you in front of other staff members. Bullying. Bad management... stood talking in corridors slagging people off when they should be doing their job. Sat in office having a supposed "meeting" when they're really getting drunk. Favouritism with the clicky staff. Rest get the naff shifts. No thanks for flogging your guts out. The last year I was there... 19 staff had left in total. No life, little pay. Constant drama. Bringing private life to work. Place is a dump. Outdated rooms. Sticking torn wallpaper back up with superglue.
Do yourself a favour.. look elsewhere!
Pros
Cons
everything
Awful management and career progression, basic wage, no gratitude for work done. Nice colleagues as 'we are all in it together'
Fitness/Domestic/Sales/Receptionist/Cafe/Admin (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport27 September 2018
Awful management and career progression, basic wage, no gratitude for work done, rude clientele, expectation to do things which manager would not like put ourselves into hazardous situations. Nice colleagues though as 'we are all in it together'.
Great Place to work
Glasgow Stepps - General Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow23 April 2018
The company allow you to manage your own clubs and get the benefit through a good salary.
Great investment and good opportunties to develop strong teams
Pros
Good salary, Investment
Cons
work life balance
Enjoyable place to work but many deeply rooted problems
FOH Team Member (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire22 January 2019
The health club environment at Bannatyne is really enjoyable: there is plenty of opportunity interact with a huge range of staff and customers. Unfortunately there are some deeply set issues within the company at times make it an infuriating place to work. Whether it is lack of training and support, ability or resources I am not 100% sure but there is a huge issue with basic HR policies and procedures not being enacted in clubs. There is also almost no support for staff progression within the clubs. Given the investors in people award received recently I imagine it is a different situation at head office.
Great place to work with really nice people who work hard and play hard
management (Current Employee) –  Head Office11 February 2019
Bannatyne is a great place to work and the people are really friendly, I have enjoyed my many years here and look forward to many more. There is a great training and development initiative available with in house training being accredited by professional external bodies so if I do choose to move on I can know my training is recognised nationwide.
Pros
Great training and development opportunities
Cons
feel compelled to exercise

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bannatyne. Our community is ready to answer.