Bank of England Employee Reviews

Bank of England
Experience (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 September 2018
Pros
Cons
being stuck in a role you have accepted for can be very difficult before you can change role........
Bank of England
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 September 2018
Great Place and great mix of people.

Like hogwarts for grownups. Opportunities for advancement and very dynamic projects which provide plenty of valuable experience.

Departments very different and very much a place of sub-cultures
Like being part of a family
PA to the Head of Department & Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  England15 February 2018
Have moved around within the Bank so I've experienced many different management styles. Some departments are more organised and disciplined than others, but overall there are certain guidelines, which are carefully followed (for specific roles). Unfortunately you can be limited to those tasks.

Not much scope for rapid growth. Comfortable to work here.

People are very friendly and inclusive. I couldn't go permanent though, the pay is not great, however, the benefits are great! So in summary, if you want to settle down and become furniture you should apply for a permanent position.
Disclaimer: This is my experience and its within the field of office support roles (Admin/PA)
Pros
Great benifits for permanent staff; heavily subsidised perks, flexi working oportunities, family oriented, kind and friendly overall
Cons
Salaries are not so great, stuck in a role you have accepted for 2 years before you can apply internally for another role
Good working environment
System Controller (Current Employee) –  England14 May 2018
There is a good working environment at the Bank of England.
There are a number of benefits including flexible working and 38 days leave (conditionally).
Overall, great company to work for
Pros
Flexi Working
Cons
Early Morning working
A great start
Senior Bank Officer (Former Employee) –  London29 May 2018
A fabulous beginning to a career in financial markets. It'll never make you rich but will provide a stimulating and secure career path. Lots of social and sports opportunities too, with a sports club at Roehampton and even a Bank yacht back then.
Pros
Free shoe polish
Cons
Public sector pay
Only a work experience
Sales (Former Employee) –  Bank Station12 October 2018
Please bare in mind it was just a one week work experience and it was so long ago i barely remmeber how it was. From what i can remember it was a great location, the people were warm and the work seemed easy. what do i know considering it was only a work experience role.
If your face fits
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  PRA9 December 2016
Having worked in the PRA and I found it to be of a bullying culture where your face had to fit.

The PRA staff are constantly referring to the fact that they were better on their own before they joined forces with the BOE which creates bad feeling.

it is the most uncomfortable place I have ever worked in and I could not wait to hand my notice in.

Good luck, you would need it.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Long hours, bullying culture in the PRA senior team
Good work environment
Banker (Former Employee) –  London4 June 2018
The work day was fast paced and had me on my toes. It was interesting and every day was different. I enjoyed the lifestyle and community that was created from being located there.
Pros
New friends
Cons
Long travel
Great place to work and learn
Bank Regulatory Capital Assessment Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, UK3 February 2017
Great place to learn and work, good work life balance and good benefits. Compensation and advancement are however not at par with the wider industry.
Pros
Intellectually stimulating, cutting edge policy making, work life balance
Cons
Compensation, lack of transparency around advancement
Good working atmosphere, flexible
Team Administrator (Current Employee) –  Moorgate Station24 August 2017
• Provide full diary and inbox management for my manager
• Produce papers, agenda’s and minute take when needed
• Arrange meetings and conference calls for my manager and team
• Organise international travel and produce full detailed travel packs
• Complete travel expenses
• Meet and greet high end clients that visit the Bank for my manager
• Comply with the Bank’s compliance policies and processes, ensuring all new joiners in my area are fully trained and on board
• Organise team and departmental events such as away days and training days
• Assist with recruitment rounds
• Provide cover across the department for other administrators and PA’s when needed
Pros
Very flexible and friendly place
Cons
Need more up to date technology
Excellent place to work
Bought Ledger Clerk (Former Employee) –  London15 February 2018
Would have still been here if i hadnt been made redundant, vast variety daily, loads of great people and a beautiful building to work in. I actually worked for the banks in house catering service, and when the bank tendered the contract out, we lost and granada took over so we all lost our jobs as granada only took on 26 people out of the 300+ that worked for B.E services.
Pros
Free uniform, free lunch, subsidised travel
A good place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  London7 March 2016
A supportive environment offering good training opportunities and career progression.

An okay salary with good benefits. Very supportive off work life balance.
Lively working environment
Risk Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  London17 March 2018
For a first job to be in such a big organisation, it was fast-paced with lots of work to do.
The managers I worked with in both departments, even though it was a long time ago, were very friendly and approachable.
productive
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bank Station12 December 2016
I believe that working at the Bank of England was an enjoyable time for me as it taught me to enhance my skills on areas that I have not previously worked in. Every day I will receive a new task meaning i tried something new each day.
the management team were great and a pleasure to work with as they made me feel comfortable in an environment that i was not used to.
the most enjoyable part of the job was learning new skills. These include: filing, archiving, managing emails, shadowing and note taking and organising financial paperwork. one of the key skills i have developed from this experience was organisation.
Great work/life balance. Rewarding work.
Economist (Current Employee) –  London28 August 2017
The Bank is a great place to learn, influence policy, and has ample opportunity for interesting work across a variety of functions.

Downsides are that it can be bureaucratic, hierarchical and advancement can be slow.
Very interesting place to work, if frustrating
Continuous Improvement Manager (Current Employee) –  London19 January 2015
It is a unique place to work, the level of responsibility is enormous. The rate of change is very slow

people can't make a decision without atseeing at least four drafts of a paper to position your thoughts.

The people are good at what they do and are commited

Management can't make decisions

People are never on time for meetings
Pros
Good value cantee, cheap on-site gym, working hours are good
Cons
Making change is a lot harder and slower than anywhere else I've worked
Change Analyst (Former Employee) –  Technology17 June 2016
Good place to work, very nice working environment. Provides a good work/Life balance. People are very friendly and make you feel welcome.
Pros
Subsidised Gym membership, Dentist, Doctor
Cons
Pay not competitive
A relaxed and professional working environment
PMO Analyst (Current Employee) –  London7 November 2016
Days are rarely the same as it can range between really relaxed to absolutely busy.
There is a lot to take on board derived from the need for change and improvement. Management allows a great deal of initiative and ownership of projects with flexibility to accommodate personal circumstances.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Meetings in distanced locations
Interesting work but backward culture
Analyst (Former Employee) –  London14 August 2017
Change in an organisation is led from the top and followed by the bottom. However there is a senior contingent at the Bank of England that does not do this and so every revamp and new strategy ultimately falls short.

If this was truly followed then more satisfaction and value could be derived from the work - which can be varied and intellectually demanding depending on the area.
Productive, fun and great work/life balance with fitness facilities
Executive Assistant to Chief Counsel (Former Employee) –  London, United Kingdom22 May 2014
A typical day at work consists of a variety of the following:
- Complex diary and inbox management.
- Arranging and coordinating internal/external meetings and conference calls, greeting visitors.
- Administrative support duties (including post, training colleagues for Legal Intervention Case Management Database).
- Preparing and collating agendas, briefings, meeting papers and legal documents.
- Assisting the Divisional Chief Operating Officer with recruitment.
- Updating the PLF pages on the Bank intranet.
- Point of contact for general enquiries.
- Administration of the Chief Counsel, Managers and respective Team’s remote access including RA3 tokens, laptops, mobile phones and Blackberry devices.
- Administration of Regulatory Action Division events.
- Travel arrangements and expenses for the Chief Counsel and respective team.

What I learnt from working in The Bank of England is that the Legal Directorate takes great pride in making sure their staff have a good work life balance and that the workplace is a pleasant environment. The Directorate is effective and efficient in the legal advice provided.

From my experience, management at the Bank of England was excellent. The Chief Counsel I worked for was easy going, always fair and impartial at all times.

My co-workers were genuinely friendly, always helpful and it was an immense pleasure to work within such a wonderful team.

The hardest part of the job was to please everyone within the team and all had different opinions in what needed prioritising.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working
  more... one to one with the Chief Counsel as he was so adaptable and concerned that all members of his team were satisfied with their working conditions and remained happy.  less
Pros
Excellent Chief Counsel and friendly team
Cons
No Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of England. Our community is ready to answer.

Bank of England Reviews by Location