Bangor University Employee Reviews

Bangor university
Cleaner/ maintenance (Former Employee) –  Bangor10 January 2020
Demanding fast paced job, not to difficult but must keep high standards at all times. Respect and help students who may need guidance or advice about the area
An Absolute Desaster
Catering staff (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd3 December 2019
The worst place I have worked for in my life. I was student at BU and worked part time in the food sector. My partner (also uni student) worked in the cleaning service. What we witnessed was shocking. The low-end staff is treated like servants; bullying and harrassment by management are part of the daily routine. Managers (especcially the women in the middle management) are terrible, terrible bullies. Further, my partner reported terrible standards of the cleaning service: some cleaners would clean kitchens with the same towels as the toilets! When she reported this, she got fired and management seems to have covered it up. Fault here is clearly to be found in the lower and middle management. Something is truly rotten in the state of Denmark.
Data Data, and See you Later
International Education Centre Internship (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd9 November 2019
My time with the INternationa Educational Offices was fascinating. I was responsible for making thousands of outbound calls during my 6 weeks here collecting feedback from current and past international students and visitors and getting their view expressed on data input systems to be utilised to promote and change the university. To this end I managed and took interviews, called a lot, and generally progessed incredibly fast through all the work I could. including helping to design a new International students prospectus area on the site. my time here was great, i learned many new skills and developed more.
Significant institutional problems
Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Bangor23 September 2019
This university has an unfortunate culture of bullying and misogyny. No policy against staff-student relations. No strategies for equality in hiring or promotion.

They have managed themselves badly, resulting in multiple restructures and several rounds of redundancies.
Punitive reductions in Staff
Head of Performance (Former Employee) –  Bangor15 September 2019
I was full-time employed, but recently there have been swinging cuts to all aspects of the University. Despite the allure of the area, I would think twice before applying.
Very worthwhile teaching position
Pre-Sessional Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd18 April 2019
Teaching students from a range of different countries, for example Arabic and Chinese learners enables you to learn much about their varying cultures and lifestyles.
Pros
Developing the academic skills of students
Cons
Courses sometimes not being long enough.
Great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd5 March 2019
Fantastic work environment, well paid, friendly staff and great experience along side of my degree. Would definitely recommend to any potential applicants.
Fun workplace
Bangor Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bangor29 January 2019
Spent many hours weekly interactive with students, which made the role much more fulfilling and enjoyable. The staff in the department were also always willing to help with any problems.
Pros
Very interactive
Cons
N/a
Fun experience, friendly people
Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Bangor24 January 2019
I worked as an Invigilator while studying at the University, as I didn't have any invigilation experience before it was a bit overwhelming at the beginning, but all the staff of the University made it a very fun experience.
Productive and happy workplace
Internship, Hydrodynamics-laboratory (Former Employee) –  Bangor2 January 2019
Good support from senior staff and excellent working environment.

Worked voluntarily on a summer internship project and was made to feel like a full contributing member of the team.
Good University to work for
Centre Manager (Former Employee) –  London27 October 2018
Good University to work for. Work culture and management are excellent. Room for growth and opportunities to develop either career wise or educational.
Fun place
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd8 September 2018
I was a student at Bangor Univeristy hence I can't speak of how they treat employees, however student life there was nothing short of excellent. The Psychology department is excellent.
Good training and support
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Varied18 June 2018
I enjoyed working at Bangor University. I had excellent training and support in my role as a Student Mentor working with students with disabilites. I would recommend working there as part of the Student Support team.
Pros
Training
Cons
Parking
Great atmosphere but lacking Advancement oppertunities
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd12 April 2018
Working here was working closely with a mostly fantastic and friendly team with only a few exceptions.

Im now looking for a career and contracted work which could not be provided so relocation to a new job and a new city was my main viable option.
Pros
Friendly team, relaxed atmostphere
Cons
Zero hour contract, no progression
fun
Representative (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd19 February 2018
this was a job to not only fund my living and education at the university, but keep me into the routine of working. it was also helping me to develop more on
If you're not welsh don't bother
Researcher (Current Employee) –  CNS6 February 2018
Management look after and promote the locals rather than fulfill the needs of the role. Overpaid, under skilled lunatics running the asylum in all departments, this is why they are in financial dire straits and so many good people are jumping ship or becoming part of the cutbacks. No job security unless you're welsh or high up and looking after the welsh. Culture of bullying, ticking boxes and pointless meetings, with no real direction and motivation to succeed.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Time in
Fun surroundings and excellent people to work with
Peer Guide (Former Employee) –  Bangor31 January 2018
Typical day included going to the main hall where we would pick up prospective students and lead them to the school that we worked for, there we would aid the lecturers in showing the students what the school was all about and would speak to the students about our own time in the school to advertise the school. I learnt the key skills of team work and leadership as well as boosted my public speaking skills. The lecturers are fun to work with and welcoming to all.
Pros
free lunch, time to mingle with prospective students.
Repetitive
Operational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd22 January 2018
Although it was a good secure job and all the staff were very professional the job wasn't very challenging and i had to repeat the same duties every day
Enjoyable workplace
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Bangor17 January 2018
Beautiful location and university spread across city. Very much enjoyed working here, highly regarded academics in respective fields but central management leaves somewhat to be desired, shown through recent financial struggles.
Soul Destroying
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd28 September 2017
Bangor University used to be a great place to work but the new management structure has robbed the University of its history.
Lack of resource to do basic jobs puts pressure on all staff to deliver when most of the time its an impossible ask.
Staff morale across the University is on an all time low
Pros
Holiday Alloowance
Cons
Long hours No respect