Balhousie Care Group Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Home Administrator (Former Employee) –  Balbeggie7 October 2019
It was a smelly and unsafe place to work. Bad atmosphere. The office was boring and shared, with people who had no manners.
Management rude, a bully and low class attitude, often moaning and under huge stress. I was left to just get on with things. Management admitted they weren't there to give support as too busy with other things and taking holidays.
Hh
That's it. Just you may find some good friends among the other employees.
Very positive start
Support function (Current Employee) –  Head Office12 September 2019
I recently commenced employment at BCG and have found the whole process to be positive. The organisation is willing to invest in its facilities and more importantly, it's people, as I have already been approved for a course to enhance my core knowledge. There is a very supportive culture within Head Office, and the message is clear that we are here to offer support to each of the individual homes where the care of our residents is a priority.
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dundee30 June 2019
Great company to work for and always learning new things job has loads of challenges at times working in different care homes .loads of new things to learn
Pros
Looking after elderly
Cons
Nil
Great company with excellent career opportunities
Home Manager (Current Employee) –  Blairgowrie, Perth and Kinross29 May 2019
I started as a care assistant became a senior carer then progressed to senior carer support manager then on to be a deputy manager and i am now a care home manager. Now no one can say there is no career in care when you see what i have achieved since starting with Balhousie 20 years service. Knowing you have a safe secure job and also knowing you are valued by your employer makes all the difference, i don't get the feeling i am just a nu.ber.
Balhousie don't just care about staff they genuinely care about the residents i manage a home in a very old building which comes with its issues these are dealt with in as quick as possible, anything the resident need or most importantly want they get.
Training is second to none and there is always something on offer wither it be online or face to face.
All in all i would recommend Balhousie to anyone looking for good career opportunities
Pros
Great fun.
Cons
Can't think of any
Great Company with Great Values
Hospitality Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Earn House, Perth27 May 2019
I'm 6 months into my role and am very impressed with the companies values and culture.

A company that really is all about caring for their residents and staff.
Every home has its own identity allowing it to be a "home from home" for our residents.
Pros
Leading name in Elderly Care
Cons
Lots of scrutiny due to excellent reputation
Great Induction
Home Manager (Current Employee) –  Kirriemuir, Angus27 May 2019
As a new employee of the company I have had a great induction and made to feel welcome and supported.I have already attended several training days which I really enjoyed and found very useful.
Pros
Good support
Focused on residents and progress
Head Office (Current Employee) –  Perth27 May 2019
I have been with the company for approaching a year now, and honestly can say that it really is an overall positive and progressive organisation.

There are various new leaders in post and lots of exciting projects taking place or planned for the near future; all of which are geared to make the company an even better place to live and work. There is a lot of energy around in terms of sharing best practice and making improvements to ways of working - for the good of everyone from residents, staff and stakeholders.

Pay is highly competitive, and there is fantastic and very realistic scope to progress from within.

Visiting the homes is great as we do have some stunning sites, and excellent facilities and indeed lovely caring staff.

The homes (and therefore residents and staff) are seeing improvements in terms of menus/kitchens, training on offer for staff, new benefits package about to launch etc.

Pay rates have just been increased for many of the roles/homes and other incentives exist to earn rewards.

It really is a good place to come and do a rewarding role, with good career opportunities.
Pros
Good atmosphere, tea and coffee on tap!
Cons
Very busy environment (not really a Con)
The Best Private Care Company By Far!
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dundee, Dundee City26 May 2019
I am an RGN and although I have only been with the company for a few weeks I feel like I have hit the ground running.
I could say it was down to the excellent induction provided, I could say it was down to the cleanliness of the facility I am part of or I could say it is down to the welcome and support I have received from the staff but mostly it is the warmth and support on offer from the management. Due to personal reasons I initially found it hard to travel into work and the management went over and above what I would expect any company to do to make sure I was able to attend my post. Although the long hours can be hard going, the camaraderie of the team offset that. I feel needed and wanted in my workplace and look forward to going to work for the first time since I qualified in 2016.
Pros
Good Teamwork. Excellant Manegement.
Cons
Long Hours
Excellent training, progressive company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross22 May 2019
Love being part of such a progressive, innovative company. They take care of their employees with excellent training and benefits and really invest in training. Lovely people too!
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arbroath19 March 2019
Great place some of the staff where good and learned new skills and health care, management were good! All in all not a bad company to work for and would recommend
Pros
Learning
Cons
Long days
Friendly staff
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Current Employee) –  Coupar Angus, Perth and Kinross10 January 2019
I require to assist residents to bed , make food and drinks, ensure they are safe within the environment , staff are friendly , I enjoy seeing the residents feel safe and happy within my care.
Avoid like the plague
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crieff, Perth and Kinross6 January 2019
Absolutely shocking place to work, residents treat poorly by staff, favouritism is rife and managers completely unbothered. Long hours, rubbish pay. AVOID.
Awful
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tarland21 December 2018
Don’t touch this company with a barge pole, management that’s a laugh haven’t got a clue what goes on on the floor & bullying seems to be part of the course by some members of staff, really is a horrible horrible company to work for & has put me off Caring. Only good thing was the residents
Pros
Residents
Cons
To many to mention
Not great.
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kirriemuir, Angus20 December 2018
I didnt enjoy working here. As my husband works shift patterns and i have young children i could only work certains days etc. I (i would give them the dats of availability) i was wasy put on days i couldnt work and i was told if i cant work them it would go on my record as being off sick and i wouldnt be given any other shift. As this was my first job as a care assistant i had no clue about what i was doing. I got no help. I was just expected to know.
Pros
Lovely residents.
enjoyabe place too work
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crieff, Perth and Kinross2 October 2018
a typical day at work would be a 12 hour shift either 8-8 during the day or 8-8 in the morning on nightshift.
in my time with Balhousie I learned a lot of training online and that has carried on with me through out my journey.
I would say management was a bit of a issue sometimes with the care home being understaffed.
the most enjoyable part of the job would be to come into work and make my residents smile.
Pros
Lunch free. Money off at places.
Cons
Long Hours
hellish place to work
Carer Assistant (Former Employee) –  perthshire20 September 2018
seriously poorly run establishment. I saw and heard things that should have closed the place but its all very well covered up by the management. Put what you like on paperwork to make it look good. If your not a rogue you wont fit in here. Shocking as its elderly frail people we are working with. Didnt see a whole lot of actual care going on. Far from a professional outfit, real uncomfortable place to work.
Pros
the food was good
Cons
management acted like teenagers
Good job
Care assistant (Former Employee) –  Bonnybridge6 February 2018
Balhousie are a good company to work for. Balhousie are fair and are quiet an accomadating company when it comes to children and are very good at giving training.
Pros
Flexible hours
oh goodness!
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundee City29 December 2017
I worked here for only a month and a bit and as soon as I got a new job that was when the attitude of management showed its dark side!

I was accused of not reading my contract and that I was failing to give them the adequate notice.However as I had my contract to hand and showed that I had followed my contact, which stated that it was only a week as I had only been there for three weeks at that point. Management not supportive at all, but had the nerve to ask for an exit interview of my opinion of the company of the job itself. However at this interview, they did not like my responses, was over after 15 minutes.

As for the place itself, seriously understaffed that it isn't safe! Care assistants are left to do just about everything while management sit in the office and wonder why there isn't anyone available to get something from the kitchen for them. The nurses meanwhile are in the nursing station where they have spent most of the morning "working".

Two weeks worth of training was provided however when it came to actually being able to use this training in practice, that was a completely different story. Was told to let the individual decide when they wanted to get up, however when the building opened it was very regimental, that the individuals had to be up before 8am as that was when breakfast was. Never mind the whole person centered approach, that didn't appear to be passed over to management and the nurses.

Seriously! Short staffed, long days, management not sticking with the training they had provided, little respect. Hardly got to spend much time with the
  more... residents due to the massive time constraints due to being short staffed.

The pay does not match what is expected of the worker!
Cons
Management, short staff, wages
great
Team Leader I (Current Employee) –  Angus9 December 2017
very good place to work, very friendly and work really good as a team. They will take you under their wing and help you any way they can. Really enjoy working here
Pros
the residents
Cons
long shifts
care job
Healthcare Assistant (Nightshift) (Former Employee) –  leven26 September 2017
this is a private care company and as such you are pretty much a number, the care job is self explanatory, just the same as any other care job out there.
Pros
real community feel in the job
Cons
minimum wage