Balfour Beatty Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Accounts Payable Team Member (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear7 September 2018
This is a great place to work, while it is a busy office it is very laid back the managers want the employees to feel this is a great place to work. You get a sense of ownership in the tasks you do and feel good when tasks you have worked hard on come to fruition.
Pros
They offer benefits to employees and social activities
Fantastic Opportunities
Assistant Quantity Surveyor (Current Employee) –  London18 June 2018
Balfour Beatty has been a great company to work for due to their vast amounts of opportunities for people looking to get into the industry. They offer many benefits including training and other ‘Balfour Beatty Benefits’.
Pros
Travel expenses
Cons
Long hours due to studying
Poor place of work
Connections Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Worsley12 June 2018
A lot is expected of you at Balfour Beatty, with average pay and zero bonuses/benefits in return. Despite a strong and sociable workforce it is still a frustrating place of work
Built my confidence again in an office environment.
Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bickenhill, Solihull9 April 2018
A busy fulfilling day always at Balfour Beatty and employees at all levels worked well as a team. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting people and making them feel welcome and making their day at BB an enjoyable and professional one.
Pros
flexible benefits including buying extra holiday
Good salary, enjoyable to work with your colleagues
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nationwide13 February 2018
Briefing employees on the work requirements. Designated workforce to job roles, communication with site managers & engineers on the production. Learned communication skills & daily running of sites internal & external. Enjoyed working with my peers & colleagues. Hardest part was working away & not seeing your family weeks at a time.
Pros
Salary, investment in employees with continuous training courses. To be able to progress.
Cons
Long periods of working away from your family
enjoyable
Labourer/Handyman (Former Employee) –  Nottingham/Derby26 September 2018
it was enjoyable to go to work you got to meet different people.I learned a lot of thing over 33yrs like cleaning toilets/offices/chainlad/
basic diy .Management that I work with was ok.Workplace culture as change a lot erey body use to heip each other but not now.The must enjoyable part was when the customer happy..
Pros
customer was happy
Cons
when he was not
Like being at school
Assistant Quantity Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon9 April 2018
Firstly I'm not going to write a tonne of negative stuff about Balfour Beatty. They are of course a HUGE company with some many divisions and sub-divisions. I was delighted when I received my offer from Balfour, I had the idea I wanted to work for a massive company and get involved in some amazing projects.

Unfortunately my experience wasn't at all what I was expecting and I found the work culture there to be a bit toxic at times, and felt my line manager had little respect for staff and despite being obviously good at his job had poor team management skills. From day 1 it was like being in school, everyone in silence grinding away. Of course it is a place of work but for me work doesn't have to be like this all the time, try and create a better atmosphere to work in than some 90s style office where no one talks. The work/life balance was horrible. Even coming into work early on a Friday to leave a bit before 5 (to travel back home for the weekend) was not an option. I left 30 minutes early one Friday (despite coming in 1hr 15 early) and it was an issue for my line manager, who was basically just too controlling. I was hired into an assistant role but ended up taking a lot more responsibility, which is fine but I didn't receive any thanks or help from management. A colleague took some time off after his Dad had passed away. He was given no slack with our manager who basically came down on him like a ton of bricks at a progress meeting, it was quite frankly tyrannical and disgusting from a manager.

As I have said my bad experience is probably uncommon and I am sure that
  more... the majority of employees would give great feedback. The pay/benefits are great and that was the only thing keeping me going past 1 month.  less
Pros
Pay/benefit, staff are very good and professional
Cons
Poor work/life balance, horrible work culture, management.
Overall a good company to work for
General Operative (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon28 February 2018
We're an excellent company to work for
Unfortunately the lost the southwest water contract looked after their staff and the pay wasn't too bad
Plenty of overtime to make up salary
Pros
Good company staff looked after
Cons
Very long hrs
Trainee Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sellafield21 June 2018
Good company to work for always help to benefit your career and help to influence your career path. Always available, lots of different jobs available
Pros
Good progress available
Poor place to work
Maintenance and installation operative (Current Employee) –  Wellingborough, Northamptonshire12 December 2017
Organisation is very poor. No training. No benefits very low wage for the job that you are doing. Managers/supervisors are not approachable to discuss about your problems and needs. Cannot wait to find a new job with a happier environment!
Cons
No training. Bad management. Low salary
Great company
Site Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol4 January 2018
This was a temporary position. The company were great to work for and fully supportive of their staff. The salary was good and reflected the job role. I was given great training and enjoyed the role very much.. I am now looking to find a care role however as I missed the contact with patients.
great company to work for
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 September 2018
you were trusted to complete your daily tasks with very little interference from senior management which made you feel trusted and a respected member of the team
Pros
good training regime and bonus system for good performance
Cons
possibility of working away from home
Lovely place to work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kings Heath, West Midlands5 December 2018
It has to be one of my best temping jobs ever. All the staff were friendly, and made me feel more than welcome from the day I had the interview.

I was kind of just left to do my own thing with no one checking up on me, but the good thing is that everything would be done, and when I wanted more to do there was nothing, just to sit and wait for the phone to ring.
Pros
The trust factor
Cons
nothing I can think of
great first experiance
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Hayes11 October 2017
overall my time with balfour beatty was work experience therefore there are specific point I can't comment on such as salary. this was my first time on a workplace therefore it was overall a great experience where I learnt various different skills such working as part of a team, communication on site, safety on site and many others. working with multiple members of staff overall made the workplace culture a lot better and more enjoyable.
Pros
experiance
Friendly and fun place.
Technical Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sale, Greater Manchester26 April 2017
A typical day's work could include anything - it would depend on what was required to be done. If a contract was close to being submitted, then that could mean working late into the evening. But management were always concerned that you got home safely if this affected you. I learned most about computer use while I was there and the company paid for courses to help, they were interested in getting the best from you. Workplace culture as OK as I remember.

Hardest part of the job - probably things outside my 'comfort zone' e.g. organising a conference, although this later involved other people too.

Most enjoyable part of the job - the people.
Pros
Salary, company was interested in your advancement
Cons
Could be long hours if necessary, but usually got time off in lieu.
Never know if your job is safe
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne12 September 2018
Recently was made permanent and was achieving what the job role asked me to do to be told within 4 weeks that I’m been made redundant. Waste of my time and also the company.
I’ve worked there twice and on this occasion I’ve noticed how clicky staff are, if your face don’t fit then that’s it. The team will make it clear.
Pros
Met some nice people there
Cons
Clicky teams, poor wages for expectations.
Fitter (Former Employee) –  Essex21 December 2017
Good place to work. Good money. Good benefits. Big company. Good training team. Short working week. Good work life balance. Good earning potential. Very happy to work here.
Enjoyed my time there
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Worsley, Greater Manchester12 October 2018
There is a shortage of skilled and qualified subcontractors in the market place. Competing for these resources was very costly and sometimes it was necessary to employ subcontractors who were not as experienced as we would have liked. Hardest part of the job was retaining the better teams.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Not bad
Continuous Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester31 July 2018
Good people but the place isn't that great. Poor processes and no confidence in the senior management team. Lack of training and personal development and pay is lower than industry pay.
Very healthy and safety conscious with a massive workforce
General Operative (Former Employee) –  All over uk25 March 2017
Balfour Beatty are a huge worldwide company who first and foremost put health and safety at top of their list of priorities for their employees and the general public . It was a very physical job at times but highly enjoyable . Workplace banter is paramount during the working day especially during the winter months . You need to very diverse in your ability to communicate with all walks of life due to many different people you had to deal with . Your on going training is continual throughout your time there. The downside to working for BB was the amount of time spent away from my family out of 10 years I spent at least 7 away sometimes only seeing my family for 1 day out of 14 . My favourite part of the job was the banter at work and the wages which were good .
Pros
Good salary, different places of work
Cons
Long hours, very early starts, time away from home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Balfour Beatty. Our community is ready to answer.