Bakkavor Employee Reviews

good hard working people.
Machine Minder (Current Employee) –  Dover, Kent20 June 2018
I work as a machine minder. Everyday is not the same day. Basically you will be doing the same chore day in day out but you will meet beautiful souls while working in the factory. management is a total laugh. Factory is loosing money for Layers of Unnecessary management team and denying a decent living wages for harworking people that i consider the backbone of the company.
Pros
Good laugh, fin working
Cons
Bad management, low wages
Just don’t do it
Agency skivvy (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester7 June 2018
When I worked at this company it was called Hitchens. The WORST job I’ve ever had and I worked at Mcdonalds so I know a bad job when I see one. I did nights in potato room, and was one of 3 English speaking people on the entire shift, I lasted 4 nights before I gave up and told the agency that sent me there to put it where the sun doesn’t shine. Other employees are ignorant, rare that shoes are a pair, smells bad, the staff areas are discusting especially the microwaves which usually still have food in them, bins rarely emptied, hand wash and sanitizer rarely filled, hardly any training- you are expected to just know what to do, managers that have double standards towards “favourites” This list would be endless but I’m going to stop now
Pros
Canteen food was apparently good (day shift told me) was above minimum wage
Cons
Long hours, little English spoken, overtime
Productivity and work place
Food Production Operative (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 June 2018
I am working by ajency to last one year in bakkavor. I like to work, beacause place is very big and tidy, wages is very good from another company and also management is very nice.
Not a nice place
Engineering Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bourne, Lincolnshire17 May 2018
To be told by your manager that nervous breakdowns are common on site says it all really.

The benefits package isn’t bad but:
Wages for salaried workers are on the low end
Rights for salaried workers are completely overlooked in favour of looking after the paid by the hour staff.
Unpaid overtime is EXPECTED and often
Work is piled on and piled on until you either quit or break.
Any type of support offered is lip service no matter how you push for it.
Occupational health is rubbish to the point where even basic anatomy is assessed incorrectly
If your face doesn’t fit don’t bother trying
And if you have any sort of personal code about telling the truth, you will be ostracised.
Pros
Good staff shop
Cons
Treated like a bum on a seat, not a person
Fast paced
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Alresford19 April 2018
Accountable for the running of the Production facility on site, Including Goods In , Processing, Dispatch ,Planning and Supply chain. I have 3 Section Managers and 3 Section Leaders reporting directly into me as well as 3 on shift Planners.
Pros
Valued by my manager
Cons
work Load
Over worked, underpaid, lost of europeans
Stores Person (Current Employee) –  Newark-on-Trent7 April 2018
Over worked and underpaid for what we do, hardly ever get a thank you, can’t understand majority of staff.
I can understand why people have left after 1 day and before 1st break.
Only plus is 4 days off
Pros
Free coffee and tea
Cons
Long hours, poor pay
Nice place to work
Food Handler (Former Employee) –  Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire26 March 2018
Worked in newark at Bakkavor and i did enjoy it...a bit too cold for me but the job itself was very nice....very clean and they did respect de procedures directly.
Pros
Free cofee and tea
Cons
Why work in a wet fridge environment for 7.50 when you can work anywhere else for the same money
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire20 February 2018
This company is beyond out of its depth. Trying to progress with machinery that is poorly maintained. And who ever is in charge of finance for this company. Are having a great time blowing money in wrong places. This company is so fixated on saving money where ever they can to the point . It affects them making more money. Due to the unnecessary stress levels within the company. I have never been involved with such a backwards company like this. Unless you like listening to crazy amounts of bull?££; then this would be the place for you. Because there's plenty of that. Even the area manager hasnt got a clue of what's really going on. Which is a little sad really.
Pros
Eat terrible food from staff shop
Cons
There isn't any
A soul sucking place
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Spalding, Lincolnshire14 February 2018
A decent place to work

Managers can be lazy

Warehouse operatives work very hard with little rewards

Decent working hours if you like day shift

Team.work is a must
Great Place to work.
Production Team Manager (Band C) (Current Employee) –  London7 February 2018
Good Working environment. Not many growth opportunities as you reach this position.
Not much DAS on the London sites, but it is improving now. Been with the company for almost 12 years in total.
Worst Place I Have Worked in 40 years
Packer and picker (Former Employee) –  London park royal9 January 2018
Staff do not care unfriendly environment. They have no regard for you as a person only on productivity. If you are ill you are frowned on and no scope for progress. Wages are minimum and team-leaders can hardly speak English. You share footwear with over 400 members of staff it does not matter if the footwear fits your feet is tight or loose you have to wear it.
Hard working company
Section coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester7 January 2018
It's a really big company to work for.Plenty of training if you wish to move up the ladder.
Lots of over time but the job does have a lot of heavy lifting.
Pros
Nice people to work for.
True Summary
Office worker (Former Employee) –  Spalding, Lincolnshire4 January 2018
Good organisation to work for

Everybody is out for themselves, selfish environment

Culture - Factory culture is great, office, not so good.

Most enjoyable part of the role, was constantly meeting new people
Going down
Skilled Worker (Current Employee) –  Wigan2 January 2018
It was a good place for work but not any more . I will sugest anyone to find anothe job . Manager aproche to the workers are horible . They dont even follow the contract wich thay have.
Ok job
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Highbridge, Somerset13 December 2017
Long hours, 12 hour shifts. 4 days on, 4 days. Boring repetitive work. Early starts. People don't really seem to want to do the job properly and are lazy.
Pros
4 days off. Staff shop.
Cons
Long hours. Boring work.
Friendly, relaxed but professional workplace
Hygiene Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Spalding, Lincolnshire11 December 2017
Bakkavör is a worldwide company, a very good company to work for. Lots of opportunities to rise up the ladder, lots of in house training. Opportunities to become such things as First Aiders, union reps, Trainers, Fire Wardens, Health and Safety reps and other positions. Good HR support if required,
Pros
Good rates of pay, holidays, job opportunities, union available, lots of in house training
Cons
Depending on what you prefer long hours
One night of my last job
Operator (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn3 December 2017
One nights begin at 10 pm and ends at 08 am.I learn that the people can be mean and selfish.The management is worst than the people , nobody makes changes even when you complain.The hardest part of the job are the people.The most enjoyable part of the job there isn't.
Cons
Cold, and the supervisors are shouting and don't respect the operators
Company OK, Working environment Terrible
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Park Royal Station, Greater London15 November 2017
Working for Bakkavor is good for someone who likes to be guaranteed work everyday and stay active but the work atmosphere and management is undesirable to say the least as due to the fast pace of work staff are spoken to in a bad manner.
Pros
Guaranteed Work
Cons
Treatment of employees by higher level staff
fast paced enviroment
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire9 November 2017
Overall i felt the the work i was tasked to do was do-able and easy. However i felt that the clothing that was provide could do with some improvement. Whilst working in the assembly area, i would on many occasions get cold hand which in turn would affect how effective and productive i would be through out the day based on just how cold it would get.
Family Orientated!!
Shipping Administrator (Former Employee) –  Spalding, Lincolnshire1 November 2017
If you require any help with hours for family reasons then don't work for this company!

I had 26 years here and asked for a reduction of 2 1/2 hrs a week and was flatly refused this, but they have since let a former colleague reduce her hours by the same in the exact department that refused mine!!
I left early 2017 and felt I had given them everything but was basically thrown back in my face!
Would I recommend ...... NO

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bakkavor. Our community is ready to answer.