Bakkavor Employee Reviews

Featured review
Bakkavor selected this as a representative review
Great place
Factory worker (Former Employee) –  Spalding18 January 2019
Really enjoyable and a fun environment to work in . Your work under pressure but once you get used to the work its fine and really good. I have tried to work here and its really good place to work with
Line Servicer (Current Employee) –  Caledonian22 April 2019
Some people will not do certain tasks for health and safety, but then expect other departments to do the same thing - why are we safer than they? Really like working here and you have lots of free conversations
Pros
Free Drinks
Cons
Agency
Fast place to work but enjoyable
Machine Minder (Former Employee) –  Kentish Town, Greater London22 April 2019
The job is hard work in a fast enviroment and my job is manual. Because I am always busy the time flys, there is enough to do and lots of varity in the role so you dont get bored.
Cons
physically demanding
Welcoming place and fun to work
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Highbridge, Somerset20 April 2019
A very good place to be working at Bakkavor Desserts as the people are friendly and are welcoming with you no matter what nationality you are as they will accept you no matter who you are.
Best part of the job is you can see how the production is made and the cakes are actually made by people and how complicated it can be and how hard work it looks.
The most hardest work at the place is working long nights as you get tired after shift or overtime. The only trouble with work is the sleeping routine is bad because you work nights and sleep all day but there are always some advantages working nights.
low pay
Despatch Operative (Former Employee) –  Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire18 April 2019
worse place I have ever worked given unrealistic targets Only 2breaks in ,12 hours Ad a accident at work fell over pallet , hurt leg Was made to walk to sick bay Then made to walk back to see manager In a pot of pain Told to go home 2mile didn't even ask how I was getting there Didn't even offer to make a phone call for me, came to the conclusion that management more interested in accident records, than there work staff .
Pros
good plase to learn a polish
Work, Work and Work!
Development Technologist (Current Employee) –  London9 April 2019
Bakkavor are the biggest food manufacturer in the UK, and have the worst work/life balance i have ever experienced in a job. Not sure if this is due to certain management staff, or its just the companies culture, don't work here unless you can push, push and push.
Poor treatment, evidence of workplace bullying
Line Operative (Former Employee) –  Crewe2 April 2019
The entire job was physically demanding and despite having some personal issues that meant I wasn't able to work efficiently the management did nothing to get other employees to treat me fairly, because the work environment was full of contract workers and non-english speakers it was difficult to be heard and there were even times when I messed up that they called thing in Polish which I couldn't understand and heard from English-speaking multilingual staff that they use the advantage to bully and insult English speakers making the work environment very toxic.
Pros
Excercise from physical work
Cons
Abusive staff
Worst employer ever
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Bo'ness30 March 2019
i worked there for a year.it was 1 year wasted out off my life i will never get back..older members off staff bullied younger members off staff and management brushed it under the carpet they wasnt interested..very high turnover off staff..foreign workers treated better scottish workers treated like second class citizens..i didnt learn anything..the hardest part off the job was just being there..the most enjoyable part off the job was actually going home at the end off the day
Pros
non
Cons
long hour poor pay bad management
productive workplace
QA Auditor (Current Employee) –  Old Leake28 March 2019
My routine day starts with tasks:
● Non-conformance,Concession & Hold on procedures;
● GMP & CCP standards audits;
● Products/Samples check, managing micro testing and product life;
● PH calibration;
● Plastic check, Hard Glass & Plastic check;
● Post Hygiene , hand swabs , samples & raw materials booking via LIMS group;
● Customer investigations;
● Traceability investigation via Marco app;
● Gluten Free products positive release a.s.o.
Pros
free meal by taste panel
Cons
Extremely demanding physically and mentally
Skilled operative (Former Employee) –  Spalding, Lincolnshire26 March 2019
The job in itself was ok but the cold, damp and low lighting has a toll on you. The management do what they wish and follow there own rules and not company procedures. They only follow rules and procedures when it suits them. Management do not listen to the staff and donot and will not engage with any of your needs or problems. Nobody cares here avoid at all costs unless u can deal with this for reasonably good hourly rate
Pros
good pay
Cons
Worst management ive ever had
Not that bad if you like to do repetitive work all day
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Wigan21 March 2019
Firstly you'll get offered the world, slowly you'll end up like everyone else. Stood on a production line all day weighing and spooning ingredients into an empty pot. Once one person takes a dislike to you others follow suit and you slowly end up resenting the place. Progression is poor, always make an excuse not to train you. Working with so many people there is a lot of 'he said, she said' and the language barrier is often an issue. With so many different nationalities and languages being spoken its hard to communicate and find common ground with colleuges. Working conditions can be extremely cold making your wear many pairs of gloves to keep warm. Some many managers are okay but they a few and far between. If your not a favourite your life will be made quite hard. *READ YOUR CONTRACT CAREFULLY* - if you sign your contract and it contains flexi time it will get thrown in your face that you have to work overtime even if it doesn't suit your life at home. Canteen is great, nice selection of food and fairly cheap and staff shop is a bonus if its open. Oh, and make sure you don't need the toilet as the toilet police count how many minutes you have been away. If needs be bypass HR and go straight to the newspaper. They seem to take notice of the issues if it gets out how awfully managed the place is.
Pros
Staff shop
Cons
Poor pay, repetitive, cold working conditions, different languages being spoken
Produktive workplace
Line Operative (Former Employee) –  Spalding20 March 2019
Pros, knowledge of what is doing and how to do it. Fallow the procedures. Help the ordinary man, so that he could feel exceptionally. They make people Happy and count with their opinion.
Work experience
multi skilled operative (Current Employee) –  Spalding, Lincolnshire20 March 2019
This is multinational company so it means you can get a good mixture of people and a fun,exciting place to work.
Personally I've had a good time so far working here. Opportunities for personal development are there but is lacking in efficient communication.
Work allocation can be frustrating at times. Shifts are a good balance between personal life and work. Most of the times is a relaxing place to work with others.
Pros
Multinational stuff, diversity at work
Cons
Long hours on your feet, low pay, stressful at times.
Horrible place to work
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Newark upon Trent, Nottinghamshire10 March 2019
Managers have no people management skills, they get the jobs based on who they're friends with not what they can actually do. Rules and regs are not the same across the board, if your face fits you can do as you want, if it doesn't you get treated like dirt. Have witnessed a female being shoved by a manager, nothing was done about it. Managers get away with treating people badly and if you speak up, you're in the firing line. Customers visit and everywhere is cleaned, otherwise it's a grotty mess. Send workers home mid shift without pay and what's saved goes towards managers bonus, no thought for the fact that people are getting short wages and might be struggling financially. And all the positive feedbacks are done by office staff to make the company look good.
Pros
Handing in notice
Cons
Ever working there.
Ok
Production line worker (Current Employee) –  Nantwich, Cheshire8 March 2019
I feel like we can be open and honest with the managers. Although its so very busy, they are not always there and we have team leaders we can talk too.
Pros
free beverages
Stressfull fast job
Production Operative (Current Employee) –  Crewe, Cheshire8 March 2019
The machinery is always running to maximum capacity of time in which makes the job stressful. Also the management here are very rude to their employees that makes it also more stressful
Pros
Okay pay
Cons
Long time on your feet
Lazy people no helping
Line Operative (Current Employee) –  Crewe, Cheshire8 March 2019
Hard work seems to be rewarded and recognzesed me, there are quite a few people who are lazy to do things and make the job difficult but the team is nice.
Pros
Overtime
Very fast
Line Operative (Former Employee) –  Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire8 March 2019
The machines are running very fast and those who don’t give it their full effort make the committed our jobs harder. We need team players in the role and if not we suffer because some people are not interested.
Took me a while to get used to but enjoying it now
Skilled Operative (Current Employee) –  Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire8 March 2019
When I started working here, my area seemed very negative but everyone is very busy. Its a fast paced enviroment which takes a few weeks to get used to.
I would like more feedback
Operative (Former Employee) –  Holbeach, Lincolnshire8 March 2019
Everyone overall seems happy and supported in their ambitions. Would like some more feedback on how we are getting on but all in all really happy on this job.
Cons
awkward work schedule
 I really want to have a career here and develop.
Production (Current Employee) –  Holbeach, Lincolnshire8 March 2019
I  have some kind of regular conversations about how I am doing and how I can progress. I really want to have a career here and develop. This career would help me grow in the future
Pros
Good pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bakkavor. Our community is ready to answer.