Baker McKenzie

Baker McKenzie Employee Reviews

United Kingdom14 reviews
Great company to work for with good pay and benefits.

Ongoing soft skills training. Advocate for all minority groups and inclusive of diversity.

Highly recommended.
Significant management and cultural problems due to a structure that prioritises partner satisfaction at the expense of associate growth, training and welfare. Whether an associate advances or even stays employed depends extensively on whether a partner decides to "invest" in an associate. If you are not that associate the outlook is bleak.
Very friendly place to work but a little micro managed at times although that may just be down to the team I was in

It is extremely hierarchical . If you're not a senior member of staff then be prepared to feel very junior and at the bottom of the totem pole
Culture of young employees all vying to be in top management which leads to tensions within the office.

Payroll was very much stand alone and I was given the opportunity to develop skills such as global mobility.

Long hours were expected with no extra pay.
Pros
Approachable management
Cons
Pitted legal interns against one another. Not a friendly environment to deal with. Very elitist. Would not recommend unless you actively wish to work in such an environment.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Lose your soul
It was an amazing experience, truly was blessed that I got a placement there. It is a fun place to work at, plus the staff members are very friendly. Overall great place.
Pros
Free lunches
I went for work placement at Baker & Mckenzie provided by my college at the time called Redbridge. I honestly learnt a lot for this work placement and would recommend.
Very forward thinking organisation based on culture of friendship. Environment supports staff in achieving their objectives and ensures they have appropriate support.
Very productive. Worked well within the team. My skills was used to the max and learnt new skills. Team leader very approachable.
Extensive diary management was a typical day in the office.
Baker & McKenzie is a good place to work. It is filled with staff who embody the culture of friendship. There are a lot of extra-curricular activities and generally a good work-life balance.
Colleagues were a joy to work with. Worked 9.30-5.30 with an hour lunch. Quite flexible working times. Dress Down Friday. Monthly department and firm drinks.
High impact office environment. Multiple diary management, meetings, heavy document production, worldwide job prospects but staff orientated.
Pros
Puts staff first.
Cons
High expectations
• Assisted in Windows 7 roll out through remote desktop and the use of Citrix – Exchange management console/Active directory users and computers.
• Data analysis through Excel such as constructing spread sheets through data from log reports.

• Co-ordinate communications between teams

• Disk space monitoring different servers/gathering data from reports on back up planning

• Communicating with overseas offices to assign out of hours workload

• Auditing remote servers access through ILO and standardising username and password access

Pros
excellent training
Cons
don't offer many permanent roles
A typical day:

Spend 10 minutes gathering my thoughts and prioritising the day on my way in to work.

Early start answering emails from my colleagues in our international offices.

Checking in with the Manila team who assist with administration.

Assisting employees with their tax returns due by the end of the month.

Liaising with the HMRC compliance manager as the firm is introducing new benefits on a salary sacrifice basis. Ensuring it meets the HMRC terms and conditions.

Preparing manual journals where the payroll automated system did not post correctly.

Meeting with finance management to go over budgets.

Meeting with partners to discuss global mobility and the newest secondments.

Assisting the HR officers and advising on employment law.

Preparing data input to submit to the various payroll bureaus.

The most difficult part of the job is keeping abreast of the global mobility in and out of the country. I often only hear through the grape vine that someone has been posted internationally and then it is often catch up on the tax implications. Often I have to learn about the tax laws of the particular country. Even the EU have certain legislation that differs from country to country. There is always something new to learn which makes my job so interesting.

My co-workers in the HR team are all professional and look to me for guidance as the majority are straight out of university. I enjoy people and love working in such a large team (32) and busy environment.

The best time of the day is taking half an hour break at lunch time and walking in the Temple gardens or participating
 - more...
Pros
comeraderie
Cons
long hours and long commute