Babcock International Employee Reviews

Sad at impending closure
Assistant Accountant (Current Employee) –  Appledore3 January 2019
The site is on the verge of closing and redundancies are being made. There are some highly talented people at the Shipyard who have been good to work with. There has always been a lot to do, and keeping busy is always a good thing. Colleagues will be missed.
Pros
Good rates of pay
Cons
Periods when work load is very high
A professional Company
Instructor Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth3 January 2019
I worked in a small department called Future Systems designing and delivering military training courses. This was very rewarding and I learnt how a large civilian company operated. The hardest part of the job was being away from my family, which was occasional but did give some variety to the day to day office work. All management were helpful and were keen to advance any member of staff that was interested in progression. All in all a good company to work for.
Life
Deputy Supervisor/Retained Fire (Current Employee) –  Capenhurst, Cheshire31 December 2018
We work not because we have to but because we want to. Babcock looks after all members of staff and the pay is always on time and never wrong. Good colleagues.
good working environment
Health Physics Surveyor (Former Employee) –  various3 December 2018
every day was different due to the nature of the work being carried out. having worked in a small team a basic knowledge of mechanical and electrical was learned in order to aid the work. the management was helpful and very approachable. most enjoyable part was learning new things and travelling to different power stations.
Well Productive and very helpful collegues
Airframe Propulsion Technician (B3T) (Former Employee) –  Anglesey21 November 2018
Day to day work basis is very challenging and adventures. With the help of highly skilled personal whom always willing to teach and guide you makes you feel valuable in the team. I have learned so many things not only about the job but also the priceless experience with the team member. Being wanted and accept me as a part of the team without the prejudice of my background. The work culture very professional and down to the game. Work hard and play hard is our motto at work. Social life also part of our culture and we gather twice a week to play sports and outings. The hardest part of my job is that i'm the only one whom from Scotland and I have travel every weekend to be with my family. I would say that is the hardest part of my job. During my time with them I had really good time and like I said the enjoyable part of my job is learn everyday something new. Not a two day I have done the same job and that's really enjoyable.
Pros
Lovely Management
Cons
Wish it was in Scotland
Plenty of Work
Senior Administrator (Current Employee) –  Wetherby21 November 2018
Plenty of variety of different kinds of administrative jobs.
Teaching others computer skills
Management you have to use your own skills to decide what needs to be done
Having to deal with selfish people who crave attention & not learn after being trained.
All of it when you see what you have achieved in one day.
Ruthless asset stripping company
pipe fitter (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon11 November 2018
Babcock marine are not an engineering company. They are an asset stripping company. They ran my company into the ground taking as much profit as possible while not investing in the work force or the facilities. Once the work was finished they made no attempt to win new work. Feeding the workforce lies until the work was complete and they made everyone redundant. They also built a good reputation off the company i work for and then threw us to the wolves. I would never work for this company again
Solid Employer
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  England10 November 2018
As a remote worker there is a high amount of self-discipline and self-motivation required. I have worked for Babcock for 8 years and they are a strong employer. I enjoy working in my business unit, but it has been challenging. There is a lot of red tape to cut through to do the simplest of things and that impacts the culture and motivation. The company is behind similar sized business in respect of social media and employee wellbeing and as employees crave more than just the salary and security, colleagues are starting to look elsewhere for employment. As there are so many departments and divisions there is a lack of understanding and respect for each other. Offices can often house several departments who treat each other as strangers and rivals, rather than colleagues. I have loved working for Babcock, but unfortunately its is desire to change and become current is too slow and it is losing its talent to companies willing to nurture and value it.
Enjoyable place to work
Specialist Estimating Consultant (Former Employee) –  Rosyth, Fife7 November 2018
varied work scopes , good people, ggod working enviroment, as taken on for 3 month durtion keep on working various departments assisted the overall working of the copany changing over form Mod work to commercial Oil & Gas & offshore wind farms
Old boys club
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Devon29 October 2018
Still very much an old boys club.
Graduates well looked after, everyone else fighst for the scraps of training available.
Inconsistency in approach across sites.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Culture, bias, inconsistency

Want to know more about Babcock International?

Ask a question
Productive place to work
Fleet Programmes Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Faslane Port, Argyll and Bute29 October 2018
A well know company thriving in the industry they are in.
I have went from Project Engineer to Project Manager in quite a short space of time.
My line manager was great as he had been in the position of Project Manager previously. Providing support and encouragement when required.
The hardest part of the job was juggling resource from other platforms.
Overall it is an enjoyable place to work. I work with an abundance of good people.
Pros
Half day Friday
Cons
Intense working environment
Amazing Experience
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Rainhill22 October 2018
Such a good training course for anyone who is looking to further themselves in their chosen career path ! Babcock looks after its apprentices / interns and makes sure that they achieve the best to their full potential.
Pros
Workplace placement
Cons
Website failures
Lovely staff and focus to work.
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire21 October 2018
Good company, Continue to respect staff.flexible hours, good career progression opportunities. Friendly environment. Some very knowledgeable.
Unfortunately my contract was over with Babcock and hope to come back again.
Underpaid, overworked
Regional Trainer (Former Employee) –  North West16 October 2018
Great team to work with but higher management had no drive to lead the business and create new opportunities.
This lead the business in to redundancy situations.
Managed focused on numbers and had no skills to motivate, lead or inspire a team.
Management had no idea of what the job consisted of and where led by spreadsheets and a bury the head in the sand culture,.
Pros
Good mileage rates
Cons
NI work-life balance, over worked, underpaid, impossible to achieve bonus.
Company / site Overview
Project Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Leicester13 October 2018
Predetermined tasks, internal audits, supplier assessments, joint customer audits.
New methodologies and work practices.
A flattish structure
Open and informative
Steep learning curve.
Working with other departments and colleagues.
Pros
A friendly atmosphere, and a good boss.
Cons
A very short assignment and long weekend commute
chilled
chem clean operative (Former Employee) –  Bovington, Dorset11 October 2018
easy chilled place to work, never work for such a laid back company before. they offer free tea and coffee. flexible hours as long as you do your contracted hours you could go in an hour late and leave a hour later.
Pros
flexi time, free hot drinks
Cons
unorganised at times
The business like to tick all the boxes but don’t live and breathe their “so called” cultures
Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  UK7 October 2018
Worked for the company for several years and found the early years a good place to be.
Sadly this deteriorated.
They are Keen on graduates which is fine but treat them like royalty and sends the wrong signals to the rest of work force as they receive special treatment. Sadly many of the Grad’s are smart but severely lack management experience and people skills.
People who work hard are not recognised and if you are in with the management and your face fits you certainly get places - even when you do very little And demonstrate little in terms of achievement. The less you do the more people think of you it appears.
I regret giving the additional hours, travelling to meetings up and down the country for little purpose to satisfy personal ego’s.
Siloed company that has a lot to improve on
Senior Operations Manager, Critical Services (Current Employee) –  London,UK6 October 2018
Enjoyed my time at Babcock, but lack of diversity and reticence in embracing new technology is holding it back.

Great people work at this company but are not valued enough.
A great place to work.
(Rank Watch Manager) - Lead Trainer / Instructor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 October 2018
Babcock was in the early stage of a new contract when I joined them. They always supported there and listened to there staff. Team work was essential in the role as a trainer, this was definitely the case.
Pros
Team work and support
Challenging and Rewarding
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  South of England1 October 2018
The job at Babcock involved much time planning and driving all over the South of England.
This involved meeting my tem and also employers and learners completing Apprenticeship programs.
As the job was dictated by the Government changes happened quickly an needed to be communicated to my team effectively and fast.
A very KPI focused job that meant keeping my team motivate and individually on top of their targets
I
Pros
Fexible Hours
Cons
Driving long distances

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Babcock International. Our community is ready to answer.