Babcock International Employee Reviews

Poorly managed
Loader/Driver (Former Employee) –  Warminster, Wiltshire12 July 2018
Having spent the last 4 years working for Babcock in Warminster I can honestly say that this is ,without doubt the worst company I have had the disspleasure of working for.
The management are very weak and set themselves low standards and targets that they fail to achieve!!
The workforce are great and try very hard to carry out day to day taskings as required. With little to no management support it became tiresome and laborious.
Staff numbers are steadily falling as employees seak alternative work to get away from a morale sapping work environment.
It is a great shame that a prestigious company like Babcock don’t invest in the workforce to try and rescue a rapidly declineing situation.
Pros
Flexi time..Great bunch of guys.
Cons
Management inability to lead
Forward Thinking and Prepared to Invest
Driver Trainer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London10 July 2018
Having been Tupee'd across I was pleasantly surprised by their can-do attitude and willingness to invest in people and infrastructure. While work pressures born out of a pioneering contract can be immense and middle management can be inconsistent, overall it has been a very positive experience and I would happily recommend Babcock as a place to work.
Pros
Good salaray and opportunity to advance
Cons
Pressure to deliver with available resources
Worst Company I have ever worked for
HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lakeside, Portsmouth1 July 2018
No training, too much work for staff to do it correctly and efficiently, high staff turn around, constantly being 'told off' for things not being done despite lack of staff and trainng. Expected to work overtime to get the work done. More and more is dumped on HR despite the lack of staff. Incredibly high stress levels amongst the department. Lack of support from management. Poorly paid
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Everything mentioned
good
Metropolitan Police Service, Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  Camberwell, Greater London20 June 2018
Normal not as challenging as I would like it to be. lot of warranty repairs. very little training available. I enjoyed my time but I feel that I need more of challenge to further my career.
Pros
Very close to home
Cons
very short luch break
Good working hours - not good communication
Functional Skills Tutor (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire18 June 2018
Great team, and good working hours/conditions. Communication not great from higher management. But overall not a bad company to work for, I've worked for worse.
Pros
Free tea/coffee
Cons
Some long distance driving at times
12 good years
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Birmingham27 May 2018
Worked with a great team. Hours were suited to revolve around train travel rather than strict 9-5.
Learned a lot about railway signalling whilst there too
Pros
Good work team
Cons
Commuting to Birmingham
a challenging workplace with a prestigious company
Training Manager (Former Employee) –  North West16 May 2018
Working as Training Manager at Babcock was a challenging role that required many skills and good time management but it was a rewarding job that provided many interesting opportunities.
Some productivity but can be quite slow to get things done
Submarine Nuclear Safety Engineer (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon15 May 2018
Great working environment with good, knowledgeable and approachable people.

Working hours are flexible (for non industrials).

Management culture needs to change however, as there is no accountability.

Silo working approach has many inefficiencies.

Work pace is very slow at times.
Pros
Good working environment.
Cons
No parking on site
HR (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol11 May 2018
I really enjoy working at Babcock.

The people are really friendly and willing to help when needed.

I have worked across a number of sites which has provided me with a lot of knowledge.
Not a company for women
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire10 May 2018
The company itself is ok to work for. Half decent pay which is hard to match. The biggest pitiful is it's Male Buddy enviroment - women within the IT desk are not valued as equals and if you have children expect your application for any further roles within the company to be put at the bottom of the pile. - This is my own opinion.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not progressive
My career job
Electrical Fitter (Former Employee) –  Plymouth10 May 2018
went through as an apprentice was great to work there worked on British navy ships and submarines learnt all i needed to become a electrician, management tried to ruin it though
Professional organisation
Marketing Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MS8 May 2018
Varied job roles, large organisation. Very poor personnel department. Enjoyed working with many different organisations and staff. Good work ethic, good pay and pension
Uncertain
Quality Assurance Engineer, (Current Employee) –  Telford4 May 2018
The day is 7hrs 24min.
have been on a number of causes
demoralized shop floor
the hardest part is trying to encourage
working for Babcock is very uncertain to the future
Interesting Sector & Enjoyable Workplace
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands11 April 2018
Fun & enjoyable place to work. Worked here since my graduation & have learnt so much over 10+ years.

Management is spread a little to thin across the ground. Since the takeover (formally Macniellie) work has increased dramatically, however no real investment has been made back into the business.

Its a real enjoyment to be involved within day to day runnings between customer & babcock. The only downside being to fairly long hours & pay scale substantially low.
Pros
Intersting work carried out.
Cons
Pay Scale not the best, lack of investment within company
Shambles
BMW Group Academy Trainer (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire9 April 2018
Poor management, bad culture, bad for your health. In fairness I speak about the BMW Group Academy contract specifically so don't take that as granted for all business areas.
Pros
Free lunch.
Cons
Having to work there
Disfunctional outfit treats employees like slaves
Contracts Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London13 March 2018
No safety culture leaving employees to work in asbestos without clear notification.
Fail to meet the customers needs time and time again.
Senior management who have no people skills and are outright bullies this includes the HR department so don’t think you are safe to complain!!!!

All in all it is a commercially unaware group of jokers pretending to know what they are doing when they truly have no idea.
They have no idea of work life balance and plague you all hours of the day and night including when you are on leave.
I can strongly recommend to give them a wide birth as it will be the next Carillion
Pros
The stationary was nice
Cons
Long hours, treated like a slave, made to work with asbestos without being told
typical day hardest part workplace culture
Ships rigger (Current Employee) –  devonport naval base devonport10 March 2018
my day was working various hours and times as my job was tidal.im a trained ships rigger with 36 years experience.my job was mooring and letting go ships and moving them into and out of docks.Also i manufactured everything made with rope and wire . The hardest part of job was not knowing when we start or finish as ships break down.i learned in my job people skills as meeting different navies and different people in my job with people from different departments.most enjoyable things were the learning and meeting different people from different countries .workplace culture has changed over time from mod who ran dockyard till 1999 were the dockyard halved its workforce and with that the dockyard became more competitive.
Pros
good wages and pension
Cons
long unsociable hours
As bad as it gets
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh10 March 2018
A truly awful company to work for on a number of fronts. Appalling culture in that management are generally incompetent bullies who have little or no real credentials to be in the role they occupy. Due to this they poorly plan and organise everything they touch which consequently falls apart, so they then bully individuals to try and achieve the impossible. Totally inefficient and ineffective culture with too many meetings and too much focus on non essential work. It is honestly like a bad comedy sketch here demonstrating all the examples of how not to do something from your business text books. Stay away from this place as I could go on all day.
Pros
Cons
Numerous
Nice place to work meet alot of skilled people
Apprenticeship in Marine fabricating (Former Employee) –  Appledore7 March 2018
very nice work place to come from makes it easy to learn new skills sometimes even when you dont realise it.

working as a team is essential there as everyday tasks are usually handled that way.
Pros
good break times
Friendly colleagues and good work/life balance
Senior Oracle DBA (Current Employee) –  Keynsham, Somerset6 March 2018
A typical day consists of arriving at one's desk and checking monitoring systems, help-desk and e-mails for any issues. Communicate as required.

To get on one must be a team player and communicate effectively.

The workspace culture is fairly relaxed and informal when possible otherwise it's all hands to the pump.

The hardest part of the job is decyphering some of the more "corporate" e-mails to ascertain their relevance to your role. This is a big organisation with many divisions and departments so sometimes information over-load can be an issue.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that the IT department work well together and is mostly very good natured.
Pros
Free tea/coffee, staff canteen, staff benefits
Cons
Lousy parking facilities and remote location.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Babcock International. Our community is ready to answer.