Babcock International Employee Reviews

12 good years
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Birmingham27 May 2018
Worked with a great team. Hours were suited to revolve around train travel rather than strict 9-5.
Learned a lot about railway signalling whilst there too
Pros
Good work team
Cons
Commuting to Birmingham
a challenging workplace with a prestigious company
Training Manager (Former Employee) –  North West16 May 2018
Working as Training Manager at Babcock was a challenging role that required many skills and good time management but it was a rewarding job that provided many interesting opportunities.
Some productivity but can be quite slow to get things done
Submarine Nuclear Safety Engineer (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon15 May 2018
Great working environment with good, knowledgeable and approachable people.

Working hours are flexible (for non industrials).

Management culture needs to change however, as there is no accountability.

Silo working approach has many inefficiencies.

Work pace is very slow at times.
Pros
Good working environment.
Cons
No parking on site
HR (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol11 May 2018
I really enjoy working at Babcock.

The people are really friendly and willing to help when needed.

I have worked across a number of sites which has provided me with a lot of knowledge.
Not a company for women
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire10 May 2018
The company itself is ok to work for. Half decent pay which is hard to match. The biggest pitiful is it's Male Buddy enviroment - women within the IT desk are not valued as equals and if you have children expect your application for any further roles within the company to be put at the bottom of the pile. - This is my own opinion.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not progressive
My career job
Electrical Fitter (Former Employee) –  Plymouth10 May 2018
went through as an apprentice was great to work there worked on British navy ships and submarines learnt all i needed to become a electrician, management tried to ruin it though
Professional organisation
Marketing Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MS8 May 2018
Varied job roles, large organisation. Very poor personnel department. Enjoyed working with many different organisations and staff. Good work ethic, good pay and pension
Uncertain
Quality Assurance Engineer, (Current Employee) –  Telford4 May 2018
The day is 7hrs 24min.
have been on a number of causes
demoralized shop floor
the hardest part is trying to encourage
working for Babcock is very uncertain to the future
Interesting Sector & Enjoyable Workplace
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands11 April 2018
Fun & enjoyable place to work. Worked here since my graduation & have learnt so much over 10+ years.

Management is spread a little to thin across the ground. Since the takeover (formally Macniellie) work has increased dramatically, however no real investment has been made back into the business.

Its a real enjoyment to be involved within day to day runnings between customer & babcock. The only downside being to fairly long hours & pay scale substantially low.
Pros
Intersting work carried out.
Cons
Pay Scale not the best, lack of investment within company
Shambles
BMW Group Academy Trainer (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire9 April 2018
Poor management, bad culture, bad for your health. In fairness I speak about the BMW Group Academy contract specifically so don't take that as granted for all business areas.
Pros
Free lunch.
Cons
Having to work there
Disfunctional outfit treats employees like slaves
Contracts Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London13 March 2018
No safety culture leaving employees to work in asbestos without clear notification.
Fail to meet the customers needs time and time again.
Senior management who have no people skills and are outright bullies this includes the HR department so don’t think you are safe to complain!!!!

All in all it is a commercially unaware group of jokers pretending to know what they are doing when they truly have no idea.
They have no idea of work life balance and plague you all hours of the day and night including when you are on leave.
I can strongly recommend to give them a wide birth as it will be the next Carillion
Pros
The stationary was nice
Cons
Long hours, treated like a slave, made to work with asbestos without being told
typical day hardest part workplace culture
Ships rigger (Current Employee) –  devonport naval base devonport10 March 2018
my day was working various hours and times as my job was tidal.im a trained ships rigger with 36 years experience.my job was mooring and letting go ships and moving them into and out of docks.Also i manufactured everything made with rope and wire . The hardest part of job was not knowing when we start or finish as ships break down.i learned in my job people skills as meeting different navies and different people in my job with people from different departments.most enjoyable things were the learning and meeting different people from different countries .workplace culture has changed over time from mod who ran dockyard till 1999 were the dockyard halved its workforce and with that the dockyard became more competitive.
Pros
good wages and pension
Cons
long unsociable hours
As bad as it gets
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh10 March 2018
A truly awful company to work for on a number of fronts. Appalling culture in that management are generally incompetent bullies who have little or no real credentials to be in the role they occupy. Due to this they poorly plan and organise everything they touch which consequently falls apart, so they then bully individuals to try and achieve the impossible. Totally inefficient and ineffective culture with too many meetings and too much focus on non essential work. It is honestly like a bad comedy sketch here demonstrating all the examples of how not to do something from your business text books. Stay away from this place as I could go on all day.
Pros
Cons
Numerous
Nice place to work meet alot of skilled people
Apprenticeship in Marine fabricating (Former Employee) –  Appledore7 March 2018
very nice work place to come from makes it easy to learn new skills sometimes even when you dont realise it.

working as a team is essential there as everyday tasks are usually handled that way.
Pros
good break times
Friendly colleagues and good work/life balance
Senior Oracle DBA (Current Employee) –  Keynsham, Somerset6 March 2018
A typical day consists of arriving at one's desk and checking monitoring systems, help-desk and e-mails for any issues. Communicate as required.

To get on one must be a team player and communicate effectively.

The workspace culture is fairly relaxed and informal when possible otherwise it's all hands to the pump.

The hardest part of the job is decyphering some of the more "corporate" e-mails to ascertain their relevance to your role. This is a big organisation with many divisions and departments so sometimes information over-load can be an issue.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that the IT department work well together and is mostly very good natured.
Pros
Free tea/coffee, staff canteen, staff benefits
Cons
Lousy parking facilities and remote location.
Enjoyable and fair place to work.
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh28 February 2018
Overall working at Babcock is enjoyable. Like most places it has it's challenges. I think the working hours offer a good work / life balance and this is the culture.

Typical day;
The morning has to be started with a quick workout in the gym and followed by a coffee in the onsite café.
Typical business day, liaising with many departments ensuring on time project delivery. Meetings at breakout area's, encouraging personal interaction between departments.

Work Culture;
Work hard and family comes first. There is a lot of come and go, but that works both ways. If you don't work with the laptop or travel in your own time when required don't expect lenient time off.

Management:
My management chain are excellent. Fair and inspiring leaders.

Hardest part of the Job:
None, every challenge welcomed.

Most enjoyable part of the job:
Project delivering.
Pros
Gym, Management, Travel
Cons
Can be too big at times.
Great compny
Leading Hand/Charge Hand (Current Employee) –  Rosyth, Fife28 February 2018
Excellent rates of pay and great holiday allowance, great colleagues to work along side as the company is very good in recruitment. Always putting there workers first
Great people and environment, Shame about the new IDEAL contract
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London7 February 2018
Great In House training and Health and Safety Conscious. You are always busy and therefore your work day passes by quickly.
I enjoy working at the Airport however there are many employees that have been there for years and carry negativity, bringing Babcock down.
Pros
Days Off
Cons
Central Supply Desk Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire7 February 2018
My Line Manager was a great support to me and encouraged all her team to do their best and support their aspirations. The only reason I left was due to relocation from being local to home to working over an hour away. I learned a lot from my fellow colleagues who were all very supportive.
Pros
Free tea, coffee
Cons
Good company, unfair decisions made! bad for security
Group Cashier (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 January 2018
Job started well, nice place, nice people, but soon changed, as entire department was put under threat of redundancy, due to relocation from Nottingham to Birmingham. I took the job in Birmingham, moved house, and then after a year, entire department was made redundant, and moved to Portsmouth! I took redundancy this time!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Babcock International. Our community is ready to answer.