Babcock International Employee Reviews

Brilliant
Personal Development Coach (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands17 September 2018
This was a brilliant company to work for. They really invest in their staff development and are keen to ensure staff well being. I would certainly go back to work for them given the chance.

My job was working with apprentices and that certainly came with its challenges. However I felt like management supported me every step of the way when I came across any difficulties. I was not micromanaged but had guidance when needed. I felt like my opinion mattered during staff meetings.

I felt like everyone I worked with was friendly and open. I made many friends within the team.
Archaic upper management holding back progress
IT Department (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire28 August 2018
Babcock as a general day to day job is an ok place to work and the team I work with is made up of some great team players.

However...

Most teams are massively silo'd more than any other company I have known, I've never known a server group so split up and unwilling to work together. This expands past that to other teams such as Networks who literally couldn't be more obstructive when it comes to service delivery.

Sadly the higher management have no interest in rewarding loyal employees and would much rather employee new people at higher salaries which leaves a bad taste in the mouth of those who've been loyal and have gathered a massive amount of key knowledge it would take newcomers years to gain. I would like to add I've not suffered this as I've only been here a year but seen it happen to many who've been here 5 years or more.

I don't see Babcock lasting far past the next decade if they continue to operate like it's still 1990. They need to start valuing the loyal employees and respecting the deep knowledge they hold of the environment.

The ethos here is deliver the projects cheap and then spend twice the original amount botching it up afterwards. Needless to say I'm already looking elsewhere.

I wouldn't recommend a job in the IT departments here unless you're really strapped for cash...
Pros
Nice Campus, some good people
Cons
Poor Project management, archaic upper management holding back progress.
Lots of opportunties
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Plymouth27 August 2018
I have really enjoyed my time working for this company and been grateful for all of the opportunities that they have provided for me. Their attention to safeguarding has particularly impressed me.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Parking
Abiglobal -poorly organised company
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Barking, Greater London10 August 2018
Unorganised

Do not pay the wage advertised

Staff members have attitude problems

Owed suppliers a lot of money ,complaints everyday asking for their money.

Ungrateful manager

No benefits for staff

No opportunity to move forward in that business

Manager asking you to do things whilst on your lunch.

Manager never there , taking apparent “business holidays” very often.
Pros
Cons
As listed
Excellent range of Social Activities
Account Manager - Equipment Management (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol2 August 2018
Friendly but professional environment.
Always high pressure working with the MOD as a customer but this helps keep focus. There is a lot of financial reporting to senior management.
Pros
Sports
Cons
Lots of Reporting
Fantastic Team of People
Customer Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol21 July 2018
Poor investment in people, no desire to promote, manage or train.
However, interesting work, good work life balance, flexible working, good locations.
Poorly managed
Loader/Driver (Former Employee) –  Warminster, Wiltshire12 July 2018
Having spent the last 4 years working for Babcock in Warminster I can honestly say that this is ,without doubt the worst company I have had the disspleasure of working for.
The management are very weak and set themselves low standards and targets that they fail to achieve!!
The workforce are great and try very hard to carry out day to day taskings as required. With little to no management support it became tiresome and laborious.
Staff numbers are steadily falling as employees seak alternative work to get away from a morale sapping work environment.
It is a great shame that a prestigious company like Babcock don’t invest in the workforce to try and rescue a rapidly declineing situation.
Pros
Flexi time..Great bunch of guys.
Cons
Management inability to lead
Babcock
Procurement Officer (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire12 July 2018
Babcock was a clean and presentable open plan office. There were some outdated bookkeeping techniques and competency tests being used. The I.T and H.R system were particularly slow at arranging access for new starters. In my opinion there was a particularly cliquey attitude in the office which did not make for a welcoming environment. The leaking of sensitive personal information amongst the staff was in particularly disturbing for myself. Especially given the nature of the business and the security vetting required to work there.
Pros
Good kitchen and bathroom facilities
Cons
Clique office/ lack of privacy in open plan
Forward Thinking and Prepared to Invest
Driver Trainer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London10 July 2018
Having been Tupee'd across I was pleasantly surprised by their can-do attitude and willingness to invest in people and infrastructure. While work pressures born out of a pioneering contract can be immense and middle management can be inconsistent, overall it has been a very positive experience and I would happily recommend Babcock as a place to work.
Pros
Good salaray and opportunity to advance
Cons
Pressure to deliver with available resources
Worst Company I have ever worked for
HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lakeside, Portsmouth1 July 2018
No training, too much work for staff to do it correctly and efficiently, high staff turn around, constantly being 'told off' for things not being done despite lack of staff and trainng. Expected to work overtime to get the work done. More and more is dumped on HR despite the lack of staff. Incredibly high stress levels amongst the department. Lack of support from management. Poorly paid
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Everything mentioned
Excellent policies and procedures although not always followed by management
Internal Verification (Former Employee) –  North East29 June 2018
Very good induction programme and support on appointment. Very high pressured and policies and procedures not always followed.
Very little room for advancement within the company.
Reasonable salary and package.
Great team spirit
SENIOR PAYROLL ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth25 June 2018
Worked within a 26-strong payroll department for 3 out of a 6 month contract. My time was spent transferring information from one system to another within a smaller 5 person team. Work colleagues generally were so obliging and extremely helpful and couldn't do enough to help.
I learned 3 new systems that I'd never used before which is something that will aid me in my future endeavours.
The hardest part of the job was sometimes there was a lack of communication between managers leaving me not knowing what I was supposed to be doing.
The easiest part of the job was working with the people in the payroll team.
Disappointed that I was released from what was originally promised as a 6 month contract with a fairly unsatisfactory explanation.
Pros
Work colleagues
Cons
Poor communication
good
Metropolitan Police Service, Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  Camberwell, Greater London20 June 2018
Normal not as challenging as I would like it to be. lot of warranty repairs. very little training available. I enjoyed my time but I feel that I need more of challenge to further my career.
Pros
Very close to home
Cons
very short luch break
Good working hours - not good communication
Functional Skills Tutor (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire18 June 2018
Great team, and good working hours/conditions. Communication not great from higher management. But overall not a bad company to work for, I've worked for worse.
Pros
Free tea/coffee
Cons
Some long distance driving at times
12 good years
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Birmingham27 May 2018
Worked with a great team. Hours were suited to revolve around train travel rather than strict 9-5.
Learned a lot about railway signalling whilst there too
Pros
Good work team
Cons
Commuting to Birmingham
a challenging workplace with a prestigious company
Training Manager (Former Employee) –  North West16 May 2018
Working as Training Manager at Babcock was a challenging role that required many skills and good time management but it was a rewarding job that provided many interesting opportunities.
Some productivity but can be quite slow to get things done
Submarine Nuclear Safety Engineer (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon15 May 2018
Great working environment with good, knowledgeable and approachable people.

Working hours are flexible (for non industrials).

Management culture needs to change however, as there is no accountability.

Silo working approach has many inefficiencies.

Work pace is very slow at times.
Pros
Good working environment.
Cons
No parking on site
HR (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol11 May 2018
I really enjoy working at Babcock.

The people are really friendly and willing to help when needed.

I have worked across a number of sites which has provided me with a lot of knowledge.
Not a company for women
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire10 May 2018
The company itself is ok to work for. Half decent pay which is hard to match. The biggest pitiful is it's Male Buddy enviroment - women within the IT desk are not valued as equals and if you have children expect your application for any further roles within the company to be put at the bottom of the pile. - This is my own opinion.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not progressive
My career job
Electrical Fitter (Former Employee) –  Plymouth10 May 2018
went through as an apprentice was great to work there worked on British navy ships and submarines learnt all i needed to become a electrician, management tried to ruin it though

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Babcock International. Our community is ready to answer.