Babcock International Employee Reviews

Enjoyable place to work
Specialist Estimating Consultant (Former Employee) –  Rosyth, Fife7 November 2018
varied work scopes , good people, ggod working enviroment, as taken on for 3 month durtion keep on working various departments assisted the overall working of the copany changing over form Mod work to commercial Oil & Gas & offshore wind farms
Old boys club
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Devon29 October 2018
Still very much an old boys club.
Graduates well looked after, everyone else fighst for the scraps of training available.
Inconsistency in approach across sites.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Culture, bias, inconsistency
Productive place to work
Fleet Programmes Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Faslane Port, Argyll and Bute29 October 2018
A well know company thriving in the industry they are in.
I have went from Project Engineer to Project Manager in quite a short space of time.
My line manager was great as he had been in the position of Project Manager previously. Providing support and encouragement when required.
The hardest part of the job was juggling resource from other platforms.
Overall it is an enjoyable place to work. I work with an abundance of good people.
Pros
Half day Friday
Cons
Intense working environment
Amazing Experience
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Rainhill22 October 2018
Such a good training course for anyone who is looking to further themselves in their chosen career path ! Babcock looks after its apprentices / interns and makes sure that they achieve the best to their full potential.
Pros
Workplace placement
Cons
Website failures
Lovely staff and focus to work.
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire21 October 2018
Good company, Continue to respect staff.flexible hours, good career progression opportunities. Friendly environment. Some very knowledgeable.
Unfortunately my contract was over with Babcock and hope to come back again.
Underpaid, overworked
Regional Trainer (Former Employee) –  North West16 October 2018
Great team to work with but higher management had no drive to lead the business and create new opportunities.
This lead the business in to redundancy situations.
Managed focused on numbers and had no skills to motivate, lead or inspire a team.
Management had no idea of what the job consisted of and where led by spreadsheets and a bury the head in the sand culture,.
Pros
Good mileage rates
Cons
NI work-life balance, over worked, underpaid, impossible to achieve bonus.
Company / site Overview
Project Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Leicester13 October 2018
Predetermined tasks, internal audits, supplier assessments, joint customer audits.
New methodologies and work practices.
A flattish structure
Open and informative
Steep learning curve.
Working with other departments and colleagues.
Pros
A friendly atmosphere, and a good boss.
Cons
A very short assignment and long weekend commute
chilled
chem clean operative (Former Employee) –  Bovington, Dorset11 October 2018
easy chilled place to work, never work for such a laid back company before. they offer free tea and coffee. flexible hours as long as you do your contracted hours you could go in an hour late and leave a hour later.
Pros
flexi time, free hot drinks
Cons
unorganised at times
The business like to tick all the boxes but don’t live and breathe their “so called” cultures
Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  UK7 October 2018
Worked for the company for several years and found the early years a good place to be.
Sadly this deteriorated.
They are Keen on graduates which is fine but treat them like royalty and sends the wrong signals to the rest of work force as they receive special treatment. Sadly many of the Grad’s are smart but severely lack management experience and people skills.
People who work hard are not recognised and if you are in with the management and your face fits you certainly get places - even when you do very little And demonstrate little in terms of achievement. The less you do the more people think of you it appears.
I regret giving the additional hours, travelling to meetings up and down the country for little purpose to satisfy personal ego’s.
Siloed company that has a lot to improve on
Senior Operations Manager, Critical Services (Current Employee) –  London,UK6 October 2018
Enjoyed my time at Babcock, but lack of diversity and reticence in embracing new technology is holding it back.

Great people work at this company but are not valued enough.
A great place to work.
(Rank Watch Manager) - Lead Trainer / Instructor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 October 2018
Babcock was in the early stage of a new contract when I joined them. They always supported there and listened to there staff. Team work was essential in the role as a trainer, this was definitely the case.
Pros
Team work and support
Challenging and Rewarding
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  South of England1 October 2018
The job at Babcock involved much time planning and driving all over the South of England.
This involved meeting my tem and also employers and learners completing Apprenticeship programs.
As the job was dictated by the Government changes happened quickly an needed to be communicated to my team effectively and fast.
A very KPI focused job that meant keeping my team motivate and individually on top of their targets
I
Pros
Fexible Hours
Cons
Driving long distances
Enjoyable but with limitations...
Regional Trainer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester1 October 2018
I worked here for over ten years and only left due to redundancy. I always found it to be an enjoyable company to work for although opportunities to progress seemed to be along the "it's not what you know it's who you know" basis.
Fire fighting was common place and whilst I never had any issues with management it is difficult to name a manager that I really respected and admired.
Pros
Good work life balance. Transparent and honest dealings.
Cons
Poor progression opportunities
Vocational Learning Advisor
Vocational Learning Advisor (Former Employee) –  West Yorkshire27 September 2018
Initially a good company to work for. Full training and support.
Then.......more and more work pushed onto me (Equivalent of half another employees caseload or in real time another two week's work per month, however there's typically only four to five in any one month).
I was penalised for then not meeting targets 😀 Hilarious on all accounts. Middle manager petrified of losing her job. Higher management appear to think they are untouchable (Turns out they weren't)
Not something I'd like to experience again.
Not worth the agro, cash, effort, time, conflict.
Would strongly advise against
Pros
Training good if your face fits on a 'yes sir, no sir' basis.
Cons
All of the below
Brilliant
Personal Development Coach (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands17 September 2018
This was a brilliant company to work for. They really invest in their staff development and are keen to ensure staff well being. I would certainly go back to work for them given the chance.

My job was working with apprentices and that certainly came with its challenges. However I felt like management supported me every step of the way when I came across any difficulties. I was not micromanaged but had guidance when needed. I felt like my opinion mattered during staff meetings.

I felt like everyone I worked with was friendly and open. I made many friends within the team.
Archaic upper management holding back progress
IT Department (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire28 August 2018
Babcock as a general day to day job is an ok place to work and the team I work with is made up of some great team players.

However...

Most teams are massively silo'd more than any other company I have known, I've never known a server group so split up and unwilling to work together. This expands past that to other teams such as Networks who literally couldn't be more obstructive when it comes to service delivery.

Sadly the higher management have no interest in rewarding loyal employees and would much rather employee new people at higher salaries which leaves a bad taste in the mouth of those who've been loyal and have gathered a massive amount of key knowledge it would take newcomers years to gain. I would like to add I've not suffered this as I've only been here a year but seen it happen to many who've been here 5 years or more.

I don't see Babcock lasting far past the next decade if they continue to operate like it's still 1990. They need to start valuing the loyal employees and respecting the deep knowledge they hold of the environment.

The ethos here is deliver the projects cheap and then spend twice the original amount botching it up afterwards. Needless to say I'm already looking elsewhere.

I wouldn't recommend a job in the IT departments here unless you're really strapped for cash...
Pros
Nice Campus, some good people
Cons
Poor Project management, archaic upper management holding back progress.
Lots of opportunties
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Plymouth27 August 2018
I have really enjoyed my time working for this company and been grateful for all of the opportunities that they have provided for me. Their attention to safeguarding has particularly impressed me.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Parking
Need to be a self-starter
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol25 August 2018
As with many jobs, your success in the role can be very dependent on your manager and your willingness to learn and adapt. I really enjoyed working at Babcock, was provided with many learning and developmental opportunities. However, I know this was not the case for everyone and there's a sense of having to prove yourself multiple times over.
Abiglobal -poorly organised company
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Barking, Greater London10 August 2018
Unorganised

Do not pay the wage advertised

Staff members have attitude problems

Owed suppliers a lot of money ,complaints everyday asking for their money.

Ungrateful manager

No benefits for staff

No opportunity to move forward in that business

Manager asking you to do things whilst on your lunch.

Manager never there , taking apparent “business holidays” very often.
Pros
Cons
As listed
Excellent range of Social Activities
Account Manager - Equipment Management (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol2 August 2018
Friendly but professional environment.
Always high pressure working with the MOD as a customer but this helps keep focus. There is a lot of financial reporting to senior management.
Pros
Sports
Cons
Lots of Reporting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Babcock International. Our community is ready to answer.