Here to help

bp Employee Reviews for Cashier

Cashier29 reviews
United Kingdom29 reviews
Featured review
bp selected this as a representative review
I enjoyed my time at BP immensely.

The culture puts people first and the learning experiences were excellent.

I had the pleasure of working for very forward thinking and progressive management team in terms of enterprise IT and particularly enjoyed the last 4 years getting hands on exposure migrating BP's on premise databases to the Amazon and Azure clouds.
Pros
progressive IT vision
Cons
none of any real conseqence
Responsible for collecting payments. Other duties listed on Gas Station Cashiers resume examples are offering information to customers, selling groceries and car-related items, and keeping the front area clean and organized.
upfront retail work, customer engagement a lot of the time. paper work including stock checking refilling items and general cleaning where available.
I enjoyed working a bp sometimes it would be stressful but it keeps you on your toes. I enjoyed meeting new people every day and also making friends with all the regulars and always having a friendly ear if they ever needed someone to talk to
Friendly staff and customers

Easy job to do

Can get really busy but everyone works as a team and help each other out when needed
I like the experience and it was the first time I ever work in a shop.
The skills I learned:

Confident working with vulnerable people

Interpersonal skills
The job was great fit for me but the pay was not enough compared to the amount of work I was doing. I have learnt how to manage it all by myself, this includes managing the fuel system, managing the till alongside lottery and paypoint and serving customers of course and stacking shelves.
Having retired from full time employment secured this position on a part time basis. Fully experienced in a sales enviroment for over 30 plus years the position applied for was totally suitable. Customer based in a very busy environment involving fuel sales along with mini supermarket style shopping under the Spa banner.
Required to carry out regular health and safety, first aid, and fire and security sessions duly certified...
Pros
Cons
Eight hour shifts
it was good place to work people were fantastic and cutomers as well. i met there a lot of people. i had a lot of customers every day. i was sad when that job ended.
this role was very good i liked it a lot i loved the staff members and i can't deny that the salary was very good too, shame i had to leave really but oh well.
Working in the petrol station I found good , as I made a lot of friends , regular customers who came to look out for me as I worked alone , it was hard work but enjoyable at the same time
Pros
Meeting different people
Cons
Bad managerment
Working the night shifts usually involved serving customers through the hatch where as a cashier you would have to do the running around and retrieve the products for the customers.
There was not much communication with the customers, so that was the only downside to the job, as by the time customers were allowed to come inside the shop my shift would usually finish.

Night shifts involved, serving, stocking, cleaning, stock room duties, basically I would get the shop ready for the morning rush and repeat duties the next day which were probably the hardest parts of the job but were obligatory and had to be done.

When i began the job, I think within a month I had learned quite a lot in terms of paper work, taking fuel delivery etc, which were mostly a managerial roles job, and within a year I am able to complete most manager tasks and have been approached by the manager for a partnership role on a different site.

The only downside to the job is that when there is a drive off (Bilking) or any mistakes made with paperwork you have to cover the costs of what ever has been stolen or what has been fined, which I think is not acceptable and against the law (workers rights).

but overall it is a friendly environment and if you do as told, mix in and communicate with other work colleagues it is quite enjoyable.
Pros
free food
Cons
pay fr drive offs
Great job and company to work for. The problem is the work life balance, this is due to the lack of staff. Current management working on limited staff.
Management genuinely cares about the advancement of it's employees. Free lunches and open PTO make it for a excellent place of employment. Salary is quite low though. Will be finding other employment if salary does not increase with the cost of living in Manchester,
Pros
Free lunch and accommodation
Cons
Great opportunity to learn the ropes of the retail industry and help train others in the system. Flexible hours and friendly staff makes working here a joy.
Pros
Lunch break
Cons
Work as anything other than a cashier and you will be fine. Most of the retailers do not know the legislation well enough to do this. I work on a one man site run by MRH, you do not get breaks, it's kind of a run out back and stuff your face between customers kind of thing. holidays are only if there are enough staff to cover you.

The shifts can go from anywhere to 7hrs to 20 depending on the management. I worked 30 days in a row once with shifts varying from 6hrs to 14. With no breaks.

The head office will demand you work solidly the entire time, the work itself is not that bad, ignoring the violent customers that are inevitable (keep in mind you work on your own in some places).

Worst is the higher ups care greatly about appearances and customer service, however, not so much about the cashiers.

Oh, in most sites and I cannot speak for all, losses from some drive offs, tills, lottery and paypoint, are deducted from your minimum wages.

As I said, I cannot speak for all sites, my experience is with MRH retail which really should be investigated properly but hey, what do I know?
Pros
Simple work
Manager passed away and wife gave up the business I worked on the till taking petroleum money and completely businesses accounts for companies who conducted their petrol monies on account, I also served customers with shop products
Excellent company to work for . Good hours, met some good people, enjoyed interacting with the people, was gutted I had to leave.
Typical day of work is when we have less cashier on busy day.I learned how to behaive with customer and let them know any promotion.staffs were very good.
Pros
ponus
Cons
8hours
fun working enviroment, face to face customer service, staff are perfect to work with, learned to organise work, serving people with fuel and confectionery, stacking shelves and taking fuel deliveries
Pros
meeting new people everyday
good company to work for, decent pay and working conditions. rotas were prepared in advance so we could make plans. training was provided in all aspects.