BP Retail Employee Reviews

Poor place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chippenham, Wiltshire14 August 2017
Poor management.. staff turn over was crazy and still is! Regularly worked lone shifts 8 hours stood still on a till. Breaks where often cut short. Signed off for health reasons management where not helpful in returning to work when recovering. Manger often watched cctv to find anyway to fire staff. Management pick on weaker staff and use their weakness against them to push them out the business. Area manager no better! If you want to get treated and spoken to like a piece of dog mess this is the job for you!
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything about working here
Hated it
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Michaelwood10 August 2017
Would not recommend and would never work here again. Absolutely no work-life balance, shockingly-poor management and the staff have to people skills whatsoever. Gave me bad depression working here and had to be signed off work for months before finally leaving
Pros
non
Cons
Hard work, but satisfying and fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lewes, East Sussex9 August 2017
Shift work, usually 8-10 hours. You would be involved with orders, deliveries, training, office paperwork, customers and tills, Wild Bean Cafe. You would be responsible for audits, HSSE, HR issues and rotas, external reps. I enjoyed all aspects, the hardest part was the extensive paperwork, the most enjoyable was the people and team spirit.
Pros
Pay, bonus, discounts, staff fuel card
Cons
Hard to get any extra days worked, back.
Awful
Customer Service Assistant Wild Bean Cafe (Current Employee) –  Kent26 July 2017
Never get 2 days off in a row. Pay is minimum wage. Expected to do at least 2.5 hours of unpaid overtime a week. On your feet all day with only one 30 minute break allowed. Managment are clueless when it comes to planning rotas fairly. Staff are nice and friendly. Lack of opportunity to progress. Too many petty rules and regulations to abide. Feels like being back at school. Hours are 5.30 am to 10.30pm. 7 days a week.
Pros
50% off lunch
Cons
Everything else
Good management and good staff
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ripley, Surrey21 July 2017
Had fun while I worked there, great management, most of the staff members had great characters. I was sad to leave (Had to leave because I moved to Southampton).
Great place to work highly recommended.
Csa (Former Employee) –  Strensham services,m5 south j8/9, worcs, wr9 9dy27 June 2017
Work in no retail for nearly 9 years. Was such a great place to work. I learned many things in my time there and it's a really friendly environment. Would happily go back and work there again.
Pros
50% staff discount
Our store is rubbish
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chippenham12 June 2017
Store manager can't seem to run the place. Illegal shifts, and her attitude has made 4 people leave in 4 months. If things are not done then she will have a go at you even in front of customers even if you have been working on your own. Some night staff turn up as and when they feel like it but nothing seems to be done about it.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Illegal shifts
Good pay, bad hours, lazy staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon7 June 2017
The management was never seen, the staff were incredibly lazy when no one was watching them, I would get given all the jobs no one else wanted to do. If you're new they take advantage of that. You only get a 30 min break out of 8 hours on shift.
Pros
50% off on break
Poor management
CSA (Former Employee) –  Popham, Hampshire23 May 2017
Management to keen to watch all staff on cctv than train them. They spend too much time sat on their backsides in the office when your on the floor struggling to get the deliveries out...yet they reap all the bonuses and you get nothing !! poor standards, poor training, poor service, poor wages.
Pros
There isnt any !
Oh dear
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lower Earley, Berkshire17 May 2017
This was a franchise of BP, owned by the Fraser group.
The management were no good at their job. I wouldn't work here again. Ever. I no longer patronise the site either.
Pros
Cons
Being bullief
i enjoy working
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bagshot, Surrey14 May 2017
well i really like doing new things.i i am working in this field from 3 years.i got good experince as a customer assiatant.i do night shifty and its very peaceful shift for me.i work with new people sp i really love to work.its been 2 years i am working in bp.
If your face doesn't fit, don't apply
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  UK26 April 2017
I don't mind the anti-social hours. I don't mind the minimum wage.

I do mind the constant abuse we have to take from customers with no support from management, the favouritism, the daily breaches of basic food laws and the constant battle to get the job done whilst understaffed at best and surrounded by idle 'favourites' at worst.

Nobody is reprimanded or named if they do something wrong and they are one of the favourites, but if you're not... you'll have to take the blame for anything that goes wrong on your shift even with CCTV to prove you are blameless.

No wonder so many staff walk out without serving their notice, it really is that bad.
Pros
Some great regular customers who care more for you than your managers do
Cons
A degrading place to work
Busy but boring
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midlands14 April 2017
Despite being told that shifts would vary and I would be working all areas of store I was left on the cafe on late shifts working most weekends. Staff were fab on the whole and made the job bearable but the management was poor (apart from the ones doing late shifts) and had very obvious favourites. Staff were sworn at and some treated badly while others had a blind eye turned when mistakes made. Customers on the whole were nice. Late shift on cafe was mostly cleaning and prep for am shift, became monotonous. Training was exciting and I wish I was working at some of the training branches.
Pros
Free coffee discount on M&S food
Cons
Poor manager with lack of respect.
Decent job, rubbish hours
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  South East10 April 2017
A typical shift is either 6-2 or 2-10 with a half hour paid lunch break, for lunch you get 50% off (maximum of £6). 5am-1pm if you're on Wild Bean Cafe and some 10-6 shifts. Getting up at five is not something I enjoy. Management is fair and I couldn't be working with a nicer group of people. The hardest part of the job is trying not to shout at the obnoxious customers you face on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job is putting a smile on the faces of the elderly dears who come in as well as the regulars. Many of my colleagues are from different places around the world which has been really interesting as it gives me an insight into where I'd like to go travelling if I ever get round to handing my notice in.
Pros
50% of your lunch, amazing bant with colleagues
Cons
Long hours, especially in winter
fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London1 April 2017
typically in the day is very busy, but I had a great team to help out if any situation was to occur. I learned to improve and build my customer service skills
Pros
discount in store
Cons
normal hours
fun workplace
Petrol Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  Chippenham29 March 2017
the colleagues there are a great laugh and will always be open to help which is great to have in a work environment. can get some rude customers but you will always have a smile on your face.
Pros
good staff
Cons
managment
Full on
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hungerford23 March 2017
Loved the poeple I worked with, just did not like the amount of pay as I did work nights, and I was also doing more then anyone else and still was paid the same
Pros
Great people
Cons
Pay
management could improve
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pontefract, West Yorkshire20 March 2017
My time at BP hasn't been the worst but also hasn't been the best. I was off sick for a few months with a mental illness and received little to no support on return.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no personal support
Same thing day in and day out, boring!!!!!
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peterborough15 March 2017
If you like a job where you go in and do the same thing every day with no change then BP is for you, you will do tills, cafe, stock, you will not have a full break most days as yo will get called to help on tills during breaks.

you will be lumbered with mundane jobs unless your face fits then you can pretty much do as you please.

culture is that someone else is always to blame, no one ever owns up to errors or problems.

abuse from customers when asked for i.d

left to work with no management on site, pretty much most days.

no chance of progression unless again your face fits an you brown nose.

if you want a job your going to be happy in and advance in then look elsewhere

favouritism says it all in the workplace
Pros
discount for food purchased for breaks
Cons
low wage for job, unsociable hours, no chance of progression, lack of variety
worse company to work.
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Farnham, Surrey12 March 2017
I was recruited as a Deputy store manager. They did not given me proper training and demands quite a lots. The management bullied and harassed me all the time. My stress level was high at work place. The area manager Scott was so mean and love his own people. He was after his own bonus and promotion and did not care about the business.Store manager was sitting in office and smoking out side and having laugh. Once I have been enforced come to working during my high temperatures threating to thrown out of job, if i don,t come to work. I can advice to every one don,t work for this company please. There is no justice and fairness.
Pros
Cons
unsoicial hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BP Retail. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9