BAE Systems Employee Reviews

Found 419 reviews matching the search See all 3,374 reviews
Great work life balance
Naval Ships - Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  London13 May 2017
Day timings are flexible. The office atmosphere is relaxed. Colleagues are helpful and approachable. Training arrangements are lacking for people not on the graduate scheme. Career progression is unclear for those not on the graduate scheme. Compensation is average, particularly for the London area. Hardest part of the job is the variable workload. Most enjoyable part of the job is the work/life balance.
Lovely company to work fo
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warton, Lancashire13 September 2017
Typical day was fun packed with plenty of contact with colleagues who needed support

The culture was very professional but at the same time relaxed.

Most enjoyable part for me was my contact with external visitors who wanted to visit the hangar for tours.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Relocated so had to leave
Decent but stifling
Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Govan4 July 2018
I have worked here for 12 years and have been trying to advance for 5 of these only to be rejected for one reason that another in my situation be accepted in spite of, due to their connections, or be ignored completely. Day to day the job is fine if a little frustrating from lack of information and communication but nothing unmanageable
Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria3 February 2017
A good place to work as the company offer very flexible working conditions. Namely flexible working hours, which are second to none. The company pays generous salaries, particularly for the area as well as offering very good salary contribution schemes such as it's pension scheme and it's share incentive scheme.
A lack of progression opportunity seems to drive out many people and parking around the site isn't sufficient for the huge number of employees.
Pros
Work life balance and Salary
Cons
progression and parking
great place to work
process leader (Current Employee) –  Washington16 October 2017
A good job that offered the chance to learn new skills, Has recently been through a transformation period and moved sites with some big investments made to update outdated technology.
Pros
excellent salary
Cons
unions
My experience here wasn't challenging enough for me.
Engineering Manager (Civil) (Former Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria5 July 2018
BAe systems was not a good place to work. I gained no additional experience and my colleagues were not very helpful. Also they gave me termination of my notice without any reason. Not a good experience.
Pros
Cons
Not a good place to work
a great project and working team
Outfit Draughtsman (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, ENG15 August 2013
worked as part of team and provided support for the main modellers
co operation and supported the immediate manager who seemed impressed with what I was doing and contributing to the squad. New environment for me but quickly learned through comradship and cooperation to fulfil the requirements expected from me.
Typical day start at 7:00am worked producing Output Electrical drawings for production from modelling information using Tribon M3 drawing CAD system. Lunch break half an hour. Starting back again at 1:00pm until 5:00pm or 6:00pm. Over a period of week or longer producing 6 or 20 drawing sheets, depending on Modelling information. The hardest part of the day was getting up in the mornings. The enjoyable part of the job was seeing the final block outfitted and floating out as part of a ship to be assembled.
I believe I could adopt myself to the requirements of the job advertised.
Pros
salary
Cons
early rise
Great experiance
Principal Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria1 May 2018
Great opportunity to learn the many aspects of engineering associated with Submarine Technology. Other engineering aspects such as electrical, structures and dynamics practiced due to the nature of the job.
Pros
Respect for employees
Cons
No career advancement for contract workers
Best place I worked at
receptonist (Former Employee) –  Crewe14 May 2018
Well I went for 3 months contract, ended staying 2 and half years they were the best management to work for people around me were the best I miss working there. They were very welcoming company I would go back any day. The hardest part of the job was leaving.
Good Company, Poor management
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Southern England7 June 2017
Having worked here for several years and TUPE across from another company, they are forcing a reduction in benefits. The company has a strong background in supporting apprentices. Careers are limited and not well advertised as then tend to keep names individuals.

Has a good work life balance.
good place to work
Manufacturing / Commercial Officer (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh2 May 2018
I started working on the shop floor manufacturing products.
I moved onto the reception and learned computer skills. This enabled me to further my career into commercial. Good place to work with opportunities to further your career.
Pros
flexi time working
Cons
Good workplace for develoing staff
SENIOR PROCUREMENT ENGINEER( Contract ) (Former Employee) –  Preston18 July 2017
Enjoyed helping current buyers clear backlog of orders and contracts.
Good health and safety standards with a system for parts accountability. .All parts used in the manufacture of finished items logged for traceability. Good service contracts with Saudi Arabia for plane maintainence that have been suplied
Pros
Good hrs
Cons
reasonable salary
A good place to work for
Senior Project Controller (Current Employee) –  Warton, Lancashire7 September 2017
A good place to work for, very nice people. An excellent salary package and benefits.

Excellent opportunities for graduates.

Many opportunities to improve your skills.
Pros
Excellent salary package
Exposure to advanced technology
Product Safety Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth25 June 2018
Great being exposed to advanced technology, ability to learn from other departments is fantastic.

Hours are good, however the social aspect is lacking slightly.
Productive and fun environment with Gym facilities
Rigger and Slinger (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, ENG20 June 2014
I get in have a briefing with my work colleagues as to what is expected of me for the day. After the briefing we head on up to the ship to see visually what work still needs to be done. Then I load on the slinging gear onto crane to carry out the job successfully. Rigs can and will be changed accordingly to the lift. Communication skills between co workers is vital for this position as its a matter of a serious accident or possibly death if we secure the load incorrectly. My hardest part of the job is working with work colleagues that are not team players that makes it difficult for me to do my job effectively. What I enjoy about this job is that its physically and mentally challenging also flexible in regards to not doing the same thing every day. Every day is different and every ship and job is different.
Pros
Mace shop, gym, shower rooms, wasing facilities, half day Fridays, overtime
Cons
Salary could be better for the responsibilities and type of work that I do on a day to day basis.
Career Starting
Supply Chain Advisor (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth22 June 2013
I enjoy the job itself I am doing at BAE, the problem is the location is too far away (100 mile round-trip) which is costly and takes around 2.5 hours per day of my personal time.
I raise orders, request quotations, interact with suppliers daily.
High workload, due to fast paced re-active support contract.
Currently doubled workload due to covering for a colleague who is on maternity leave.
Pros
Free Secure Parking, Good Bonus and Benefits
Cons
Location, lack of opportunity to progress career
Healthy and Fun Environment
ASSISTING FINALIZATION OF SHIPS (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Scotstoun30 March 2017
BAE Systems was my main job for 35 years, they set me up for life with a great pension plan and shares within the company from when I first started in 1980. Even after 35 years of working there they still provided great benefits and was treated like a member of a big family.
Pros
job security, great benefits, pension, shares
Cons
sometimes given really long shifts
Work place is very demanding but is also rewarding.
Supervisor / Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, ENG4 August 2014
Having worked for this comany since 2001 I have worked on the shop floor as a fabricator of units which make up sections of the ship under construction. In 3yrs I was asked to be a leading hand within the area I was working which my requirements was to attend daily meetings and also be first point of contact if any issues with the workscope from other employees on the shop floor. I also worked closely with the area teamleader and report to him of any issues that was raiseded from the shop floor. This position I held for 4yrs and during those 4yrs I enjoyed being part of a trusted management team. In 2008 I applied for a team leaders role within the same area and was successful and am still currently doing this role. I take safety as my main object of every day that I work and always make sure that the workforce that I'm controlling follow all H&S rules also making sure that if they find something unsafe that they do not complete task until its safe to do so. All projects that I have worked on have always been completed to the best of our abillity and was all on time and to budget which was always our focus on completing the work.
Pros
Seeing and end product of work completed.
Cons
Very demanding and physical work
Mechanical Design Engineer – Type 26 Anti-Submarine Frigate Auxiliary Systems Design
Mechanical Design Engineer - (Current Employee) –  Glasgow5 September 2013
• Lead Design Engineer for Wholeship Fixed Firefighting systems
• 2D schematics produced on FORAN/AutoCAD for internal & external design reviews.
• Development of system performance calculations on MathCAD
• Working to Defence Standards and Lloyds Rules to ensure system approval
• Stakeholder engagement & co-ordination to produce an accurate Bill of Materials & 3D model
• Working to simplify operations of systems due to reduced crew levels
Pros
Flexi-time
Cons
Salary
Ok for the day to day - not for those who want more
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria4 April 2018
Not a great deal going on
Easily get bored with same old silly mistakes being made

More of a challenge needed

Could be a higher input from the lower ranks to improve the business as a whole

Time management 2 / 10
Pros
Money
Cons
Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BAE Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K