BAE Systems Management reviews

Found 134 reviews matching the search See all 3,406 reviews
Good
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farnborough28 January 2019
First 17 years were excellent.

It was clearly dependent on the quality of the boss. Once he retired, things went downhill.

It was local so not too much travelling.

My boss was outstanding. A gentleman and a pleasure to work for. Clearly working together for so long helped.
Pros
local
Cons
some of the senior management
treat employees like dirt
designer (Former Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria3 October 2018
treat employees like dirt, very backwards in their management structure and processes, they have no regard for their employees mental well being and there is a massive bullying culture aimed at apprentices and lower down staff
Don't go near the place
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Scotland1 October 2018
Terrible place to work if your face doesn't fit.
Bullying is rife and people are cut throat to progress their own careers.
Not recommended for the faint hearted and one day you are in but the next you are not
Pros
Salary and benefits are great
Cons
People are awful to work for and your job is never safe
Great people, Poor Management
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire21 September 2018
BAE is a brilliant company to work for unless you require any semblance of ability from middle to upper management to do with organisation or dealing with issues. This is a shame because the large majority of employees there are brilliant and deserve better.
Pros
Great Working Atmosphere, Good Pay
Cons
Terrible Management
Interesting work - flexible hours
Senior Electrical Designer (Current Employee) –  Cumbria14 September 2018
Interesting work, but there are a lot of processes to follow which can be very time consuming - it is very frustrating at times, There are pluses though, one is flexible working hours and contractors can with their managements permission finish on a Thursday night for the weekend.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Tedius processes
Good Experience
Apprentice Engineer (Former Employee) –  Frimley13 September 2018
The four year apprenticeship was a great experience, many new topics were learnt and I got some experience in different areas of the IT industry. Management was underwhelming unfortunately.
Pros
One of the best pay grades you can get in such a role.
Cons
Management.
Slow
Combat Aerospace (Current Employee) –  Connington, Cambridgeshire31 August 2018
No career progression. Salary increase after 5 years. No senior management roles to strive for. Work enviroment is demoralising. Better opportunities in other companies. Things like coffee, snacks etc arnt even a thing with old buidlings.
Pros
patiotism, flexi
Cons
no progression in role / salary, minimal innovation
Good Company to work for, very little progression
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Brough29 August 2018
A good company to work for with possibility for development, however very little chance of promotion and progression especially if not looking for a management role.
productive, fun and great place to work
Apprentice mechanical fitter for two (Current Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria15 August 2018
worked on all types of valves, pipework, pumps learning all aspects of my trade and gaining new skills and bettering the skills I already had making me work to a high standard and take pride in my work. Management were very informative about any parts of the job, very approachable and understanding easy to talk to. Good and friendly working environment, all one big team always someone to help out if needed. I enjoy all parts of this job as you can still learn new things every day.
A day in the life of Safety & Compliance
Safety & Compliance (Current Employee) –  Coningsby26 July 2018
I work 4 full days and finish at lunch time on Fridays, working hours are normally 40-45hrs per week. Having only worked in this role for 18 months I am still learning daily. My role incorporates various aspects and a ‘Just Culture’ is one of those cultures which we openly like to promote. I have to understand the structure and procedures for operating in both the Error Management System (EMS) and the Quality Management System (QMS). The hardest part of the job is finding owners and resolution to raised issues on a daily basis. I also co-ordinate Safety Health and Environment (SHE) activities within various buildings on site. This includes DSE assessment and accident investigation when required.
The most enjoyable part of the job is my colleagues and the tight bond and working understanding that we all share.
Pros
Good team and work ethic
Cons
Getting the final solution
Decent but stifling
Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Govan4 July 2018
I have worked here for 12 years and have been trying to advance for 5 of these only to be rejected for one reason that another in my situation be accepted in spite of, due to their connections, or be ignored completely. Day to day the job is fine if a little frustrating from lack of information and communication but nothing unmanageable
Couldn't wait to get out
Office worker (Former Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria19 June 2018
Well what can I say ,this is not for me and not what it says on the tin

This has to be the worst place I have ever worked , As a new starter first week was great then went down hill from there,Couldn't wait to get out
I guess if your a staff person your looked after more and for some people its the only place they've ever worked so they think they know it all,

Working day your just left to get on with it , Send lots of emails and get no responses what's so ever then you go and see the person then they complain to management or they are too busy

Its a bit clicky, some people are jobs worth's some don't speak

Offices I was in dark and smelly office and very hot with no natural daylight , hundreds of people in it , don't know how people worked in here for years can't be good for your health

If you want a long term boring job then this is the place for you
and very low wage for what you do

Its great if your a young apprentices or engineer lots of training and progression
Pros
None at all if your a contractor
Cons
Good Canteen
Productive Workplace
Account Manager / Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, Kent4 June 2018
A great place to work where you are able to progress and help shape the workplace. Training is available and encouraged for everyone to assist in personal development and for business needs.
Management are friendly and approachable and a lot has been done to address work/life balance and also building social as well as professional links between staff.
Pros
Good pay and opportunities. Friendly workforce
Best place I worked at
receptonist (Former Employee) –  Crewe14 May 2018
Well I went for 3 months contract, ended staying 2 and half years they were the best management to work for people around me were the best I miss working there. They were very welcoming company I would go back any day. The hardest part of the job was leaving.
Worst place I have ever worked
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria4 April 2018
Management is basically none existent, I worked there for 2 years and when you have an issue and you raise it to management, they pass you off to the next person, then the next, then the next. You will never get any problems sorted. If you have any issues with the job you are doing, you might aswell just sit down for 3 years, thats how long it will take for someone to realise that you have a problem.
Pros
Cons
everything that has ever existed
IT Services
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London4 April 2018
The company is obsessed with outsourcing IT for a perceived lower cost with worse service and no technology advances. key skills are being lost all the time and not replaced, and lack of investment.
Pros
Still some good people
Cons
Very poor directors making bad decisions
Ok for the day to day - not for those who want more
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria4 April 2018
Not a great deal going on
Easily get bored with same old silly mistakes being made

More of a challenge needed

Could be a higher input from the lower ranks to improve the business as a whole

Time management 2 / 10
Pros
Money
Cons
Hours
Good Workplace
Project Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rosyth6 February 2018
I was only here for my work experience for a week and enjoyed it very much, nice staff and good management. I learned about the Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier aswell has more experince using Microsoft Office.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Distance
Not forward thinking
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  govan/scotston1 February 2018
I believe the style of management is behind the times and feel they should review this asap. I also think they should invest in upgrading the yard technology
Cons
very short breaks
Not an enjoyable place to work
Project Coordinator - Production Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth15 January 2018
After 5 years of working here I can honestly say that this environments moral was very low and this caused problems with productivity and output. underlying conflicts between shop floor and management.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Poor moral

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BAE Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K