BAE Systems Employee Reviews for Pipefitter

Not forward thinking
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  govan/scotston1 February 2018
I believe the style of management is behind the times and feel they should review this asap. I also think they should invest in upgrading the yard technology
Cons
very short breaks
Good job security
Pipefitter & Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, UK25 April 2017
Enjoyed my time with BAE, Learnt lots and lots of money invested in safety and training their employees.
Noit the highest salary, but other good benefits. Pension, Share schemes etc
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Rosyth, SCT29 June 2015
BAE Systems provide a great apprenticeship scheme which involves working with different roles which come under the heading of a Pipefitter i.e.. Fabrication, Installation and welding.
great place to work
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  glasgow3 March 2015
type 45 and the aircraft carrier but the works coming to an end been working with bae for 11 years and its time to move in to the oil and gas side of pipefitting
Work day
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Barrow in Furness30 August 2014
Job handed out first thing.
Go onboard vessel and work on the job on my own.
Co workers a pleasure to work with.Good lads/lasses who were willing to help out.
Hardest part of the job was working on own on some jobs that were a 2 man job.
Pros
Work in home town
Cons
not a secure place to work
Intence And Hostile environment
Marine Pipe Fitter/ Pipe welder (Current Employee) –  Glasgow1 August 2014
Typical days work includes been given daily targets to meet and excel to your best ability. The management could be done better, seems to be a 'us against them' approach at times, like to make things difficult, creating a divide.
co-workers are all very helpful with one another.
The job however is very enjoyable and satisfying as its good to see your hard work pay off.
Pros
Free Share Insentive plan and also annual bonus
Cons
Underpaid
Productive, enjoyable work atmosphere
Marine pipefitter / CNC machine (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth26 March 2014
A typical day involves communicating with managers to recieve jobs, which could come in the form of an engineering drawing or via verbal instructions. Working on your own or as part of a team to complete these jobs in safest quickest manner, using the relavant skills gained through my experience. Overall I've enjoyed my time working for the company.
good work colleages
Marine engineer pipefitter/fabricator (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, ENG14 February 2014
a good and interesting industry to be in, a variety of different work.
treated like a robot
pipefitter/welder (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT4 February 2014
bell to bell working with unreasonable demands,
i was treated like an outcast because i attended a football match even though i never talked about it or bragged about it like my supervisors did.
there was also a case when jimmy johnson passed away that during the toolbox talk we all had to stand for a minutes silence as this deep underlying religious divide still remained in this day and age.
i feel this was brushed under the carpet by the management leaving me and other guys with nowhere to turn for help with bullying.
Pros
early finish friday
Cons
most supervisors will discriminate depending on your religion
Good Job Good Mates
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT8 January 2014
before I worked in the yards I was a travelling man going from job to job ,after I started in Govan I was surprised how soon I took root and as I was being encouraged stay by the wife I sort of drifted into it three days before I started I came back from Paris where I had been working for Howdens it was November and I told myself this will do me till the new year but I was still there in march and was admitted into the pension scheme this was the clincher I had a steady job I had made good friends the wife was happy the work was interesting the gaffers were friendly the days went by . Just over 24 years later I have taken voluntary redundancy and although I am content with the deal part of me wants my routine my friends my Job back
Pros
Workmates, steady employment
Cons
like most working people our wages are falling in real terms year on year
Worked on various M.O.D ships
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, ENG6 January 2014
Worked on various Ministry of Defence vessels New Build and Ship repair work generally fabricating and fitting pipework from small bore Cuni, copper and stainless steel to Large bore Steel.

I spent most of my time in Portsmouth working on Oman 2 from the beginning when the ship was in Fabrication hall in sections right up to Hand over to Oman navy.

I really enjoyed my time in Portsmouth and the only reason I left was down to the announcement of the yard closure. I worked in Portsmouth for almost four years and I really enjoyed being part of a great team.
Pros
Long Term, lots of overtime available, and I was lucky enough to work for a great management team.
Cons
48 hour rule, (no working over 48 hours per week)
productive and fun work place
Pipe Fitter (Current Employee) –  Govan9 October 2013
in the pipefitting plumbing trade u can learn everyday,all u should want to do is get your work done and get on well with your co workers.
Professional Workplace
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Govan,Glasgow21 March 2013
Early start to the day with health and safety briefing before carring out any pipefitting tasks.

I enjoyed this experience on shipbuilding site which added to my experience other than bio-chemical and oil pipefitting.

Enjoyable part of the jod was being part of massive ships being built in Glasgow which i am proud of.
Pros
job satisfaction, near home
Cons
temp contracts