BAE Systems Employee Reviews in Portsmouth

Good work life balance
Engineering Project Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire13 February 2018
BAE promotes a good work life balance I have had the flexibility to work part time around my family life and I also have the benefits of a flexible working pattern.
Not an enjoyable place to work
Project Coordinator - Production Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth15 January 2018
After 5 years of working here I can honestly say that this environments moral was very low and this caused problems with productivity and output. underlying conflicts between shop floor and management.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Poor moral
Variance in products make it very interesting.
Project Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth4 January 2018
Being a large company can make it very interesting for a career in many different skill sets. There's always opportunities for progression. You have also the opportunity to work closely with the various customers & suppliers getting a greater insite to how others see you & how they work, which can improve not only you personally but how you can improve the work ethics & processes.
Pros
Career
Cons
Red tape
A good employer with some drawbacks
Integrated Delivery Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth6 December 2017
A Global Company with a very emphatic ethos towards implementation of its Code of Conduct, but that has a drawback in that at times excessive beurocracy has developed amongst the Management which has a counterproductive effect on what the customer wishes the Company to achieve
Constantly put down
Mechanical Fitter (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire23 October 2017
Not somewhrere id reconmend to anyone.. Wages arent great.. To many management and forever pushed with no incentive.
Only upside is the pension and shares.
Pros
Pension
Cons
No oppertunities
Inspiring place to work
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire9 October 2017
A rewarding career with flexible working and job satisfaction supporting the armed services. An amount of change required to become lean and competitive. I would happily work there again.
Relaxed workplace with good team spirit.
Technical Trainer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire2 October 2017
My present job can be very rewarding. Due to company conduct and its stance within a growing Engineering environment it has the potential to shape a great future for the next generation. My role requires me to draw on my previous experience as a mechanical fitter and deliver course material to apprentices and naval staff. I am also responsible for carrying out regular learning reviews and creating new courses for the changing market. I also have to follow set ou KPIs to meet the companies needs.
Pros
Great benefits, Good salary
Cons
Hours, Stressful environment
Rigid ex-military culture
Contractor (Former Employee) –  HM Naval base, Portsmouth28 September 2017
A difficult job but very interesting and innovative as I was part of a small team that introduced long term upkeep and maintenance periods to the Type 45 Destroyer Support Programme
Pros
Use of my past Naval experience to good effect
Cons
Battle against entrenched practices, delays, interference from external sources
Good Place to work
Senior Appointed Person (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire13 July 2017
6.30am start > 15.50pm finish 37hours a week

Good working environment
very friendly environment
good heath and safety processes
Training and refresher courses was always available
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Working Hours
Stove pipe and bottom line focussed
Customer Solutions Manager (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire27 June 2017
Noting I worked in only one particular part of the company, it was not a well structured organisation with a vision to develop and deliver what the customer needed.
Good place to work, just very unorganised
Mechanical Fitter (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire24 June 2017
I have been working within BAE systems for just shy of 7 years. I have learnt a great deal about not only marine systems but mechanical systems as a whole. The role of mechanical fitter is very diverse and allows you to experience a whole range of systems from sea water systems all the way to gas turbines.

The employees in the dock yard make working there fun and enjoyable and are often very helpful to new employees with limited knowledge.

The management within the dockyard is not very organised which often leads to delays in materials, work permits and other crucial work requirements.
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
Unorganized, low pay, sometimes stressful environment
Wonderful Exposure to Industrial Experience.
IKM Intern (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire20 June 2017
Learned and Developed greater awareness of an IT Industrial Workplace especially how the Software and Business aspects merge within a defence industry
Pros
Discount Lunches; Family Visit Days; Diverse Workforce
Cons
Long Hours; Unbalanced Workforce (minimum age was 30 +)
Productive and enjoyable workplace.
Commissioning Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire14 May 2017
The general day to day life where I work is pretty productive and the balance between work and home life is being fulfilled with a flexi-type scheme

Ive learned everything I know today from this place, being through the apprenticeship to signing my contract to join the refrigeration section within the company. expanding my knowledge everyday as you learn something new everyday which will help you down the line if you progress elsewhere.

The most enjoyable part of my job is you get to meet all different type of people as working on naval ships people are from all parts of the United Kingdom or even around the world. most people are easy to get along with within your working sector.
Good job security
Pipefitter & Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, UK25 April 2017
Enjoyed my time with BAE, Learnt lots and lots of money invested in safety and training their employees.
Noit the highest salary, but other good benefits. Pension, Share schemes etc
Brilliant
Customer Service Administrator & Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth10 April 2017
Great place to work, unfortunately moved on due to other commitments, but highly recommended and if anyone gets a permanent job with BAE they are very lucky.
Pros
Great team spirit in dockyard
Cons
Tough to get through to permanent contract
Needing change
Commissioning Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire29 March 2017
Operating procedure requires overhaul to improve on the companies poor performance. Friendly staff and customer. Reasonable facilities.
The working environment is very safe however it can be difficult to achieve progress due to people playing the system.
Pros
Wages always correct and on time
Cons
Not enough work, poor and unexperienced management
Good company, sometimes disorganised, otherwise brilliant.
Apprentice Marine Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire29 January 2017
Interested in their employees. Mostly helpful HR department. Most of management are very good, some team leaders are destructive. Colleagues are friendly and their is a generally nice atmosphere.
Good Working Environment
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire24 January 2017
Varied work and cross functional team embed you in very quickly. Various sites support a multitude of customer requirements.
Pros
Nice Canteen
Cons
Multiple reporting lines
great
Commissioning Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire17 January 2017
great time within company currently still employed good work life balance great structure career progression varied work flexible working scheme just introduced
Good long-term employer
Team Manager Unprogrammed Work Tiger Team (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth8 December 2016
I had a varied and interesting career with this organisation and progressed during my years with them.
There was excellent training and job security.
Pros
Good career development and training
Cons
A role that demanded complete committment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BAE Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

41K