BAE Systems Employee Reviews in Portsmouth

Found 75 reviews matching the search See all 3,209 reviews
good
Counter balance forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth18 June 2018
Employer can be firm but fair. Workload arrives at a varied pace and can be busy one day and very quiet the next dependant on the attendace of ships. The workforce are friendly and helpful.
Pros
benefit scheme
Cons
promotion prospects
Good steady employers
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire23 May 2018
Spent a long time with this company and as companies go in this day and age they are pretty good. Steady employment and good salaries and benefits. Only left due to wanting a change of work life balance as hours were longer than I wanted to continue with at that time
Pros
Good benefits and prospects
Cons
none really, just wanted less hours
good company to work for
Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire23 April 2018
Every day can be very different, dealing with a number of issues from the fire alarm going off, to booking meeting rooms, greeting and meeting visitors
Good company to work for
Senior Contract Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth Naval Base8 March 2018
No 2 days the same in the job role I have. My role is very interesting and I enjoy it very much. I deal with people of all ranks and grades and have received support and advice over the years which has been beneficial to the progress of my career in the last 10 years. I enjoy working alongside the customers, the suppliers and work colleagues as part of a Team. I’ve had challenging days, amusing days and very stressful days but that’s what makes my job a joy to go to each day, just never knowing what the day is going to bring.
Pros
Free shares, employee incentive bonus
Cons
Lack of support
Fumbling management
PROJECT MANAGER COMPANY (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth Naval Base1 March 2018
Reporting,
BAE do not maintain buildings.
Knee jerk
Relaxed
Keeping up with procedure changes
Completing a Project
?
What more is there to say.
Pros
Non
Cons
Plenty
Structured and focused workplace
Production governance coordinator (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire13 February 2018
BAE systems is an enjoyable place to work with focused individuals who pull together to achieve key targets as a group. The balance between work life and home life is comfortable and I am happy to be a part of this company.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Flexible working
Good work life balance
Engineering Project Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire13 February 2018
BAE promotes a good work life balance I have had the flexibility to work part time around my family life and I also have the benefits of a flexible working pattern.
Not an enjoyable place to work
Project Coordinator - Production Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth15 January 2018
After 5 years of working here I can honestly say that this environments moral was very low and this caused problems with productivity and output. underlying conflicts between shop floor and management.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Poor moral
Variance in products make it very interesting.
Project Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth4 January 2018
Being a large company can make it very interesting for a career in many different skill sets. There's always opportunities for progression. You have also the opportunity to work closely with the various customers & suppliers getting a greater insite to how others see you & how they work, which can improve not only you personally but how you can improve the work ethics & processes.
Pros
Career
Cons
Red tape
A good employer with some drawbacks
Integrated Delivery Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth6 December 2017
A Global Company with a very emphatic ethos towards implementation of its Code of Conduct, but that has a drawback in that at times excessive beurocracy has developed amongst the Management which has a counterproductive effect on what the customer wishes the Company to achieve
Constantly put down
Mechanical Fitter (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire23 October 2017
Not somewhrere id reconmend to anyone.. Wages arent great.. To many management and forever pushed with no incentive.
Only upside is the pension and shares.
Pros
Pension
Cons
No oppertunities
Inspiring place to work
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire9 October 2017
A rewarding career with flexible working and job satisfaction supporting the armed services. An amount of change required to become lean and competitive. I would happily work there again.
Relaxed workplace with good team spirit.
Technical Trainer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire2 October 2017
My present job can be very rewarding. Due to company conduct and its stance within a growing Engineering environment it has the potential to shape a great future for the next generation. My role requires me to draw on my previous experience as a mechanical fitter and deliver course material to apprentices and naval staff. I am also responsible for carrying out regular learning reviews and creating new courses for the changing market. I also have to follow set ou KPIs to meet the companies needs.
Pros
Great benefits, Good salary
Cons
Hours, Stressful environment
Rigid ex-military culture
Contractor (Former Employee) –  HM Naval base, Portsmouth28 September 2017
A difficult job but very interesting and innovative as I was part of a small team that introduced long term upkeep and maintenance periods to the Type 45 Destroyer Support Programme
Pros
Use of my past Naval experience to good effect
Cons
Battle against entrenched practices, delays, interference from external sources
Good Place to work
Senior Appointed Person (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire13 July 2017
6.30am start > 15.50pm finish 37hours a week

Good working environment
very friendly environment
good heath and safety processes
Training and refresher courses was always available
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Working Hours
Stove pipe and bottom line focussed
Customer Solutions Manager (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire27 June 2017
Noting I worked in only one particular part of the company, it was not a well structured organisation with a vision to develop and deliver what the customer needed.
Good place to work, just very unorganised
Mechanical Fitter (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire24 June 2017
I have been working within BAE systems for just shy of 7 years. I have learnt a great deal about not only marine systems but mechanical systems as a whole. The role of mechanical fitter is very diverse and allows you to experience a whole range of systems from sea water systems all the way to gas turbines.

The employees in the dock yard make working there fun and enjoyable and are often very helpful to new employees with limited knowledge.

The management within the dockyard is not very organised which often leads to delays in materials, work permits and other crucial work requirements.
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
Unorganized, low pay, sometimes stressful environment
Wonderful Exposure to Industrial Experience.
IKM Intern (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire20 June 2017
Learned and Developed greater awareness of an IT Industrial Workplace especially how the Software and Business aspects merge within a defence industry
Pros
Discount Lunches; Family Visit Days; Diverse Workforce
Cons
Long Hours; Unbalanced Workforce (minimum age was 30 +)
Productive and enjoyable workplace.
Commissioning Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire14 May 2017
The general day to day life where I work is pretty productive and the balance between work and home life is being fulfilled with a flexi-type scheme

Ive learned everything I know today from this place, being through the apprenticeship to signing my contract to join the refrigeration section within the company. expanding my knowledge everyday as you learn something new everyday which will help you down the line if you progress elsewhere.

The most enjoyable part of my job is you get to meet all different type of people as working on naval ships people are from all parts of the United Kingdom or even around the world. most people are easy to get along with within your working sector.
Good job security
Pipefitter & Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, UK25 April 2017
Enjoyed my time with BAE, Learnt lots and lots of money invested in safety and training their employees.
Noit the highest salary, but other good benefits. Pension, Share schemes etc

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BAE Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K