Play YouTube video button
BAE Systems
Here to help: Coronavirus update

BAE Systems Employee Reviews

United Kingdom580 reviews
Great place to start a career
I worked with great people and learnt a lot. I had a great work life balance and had excellent mentors. During the graduate program I was exposed to numerous projects and given real responsibilities llx. X
Focused and good people
Great government IT projects to work on with knowledgeable and good people. Great balance of technical and business people to support clients. Relaxed culture.
productive
it was productive and a conducive workplace. a typical day was 6 hours plus. the hardest part of the job was staying focussed for those trying many hours.
Well organised and relaxed
No pressure but strict measures are in place. Depending on which department you are in you will find an immense variation of work experiences. Knowledue of aviation is a definite must.
Pros
Valuable experience
Cons
Lots of problem solving required
Great place to work.
Good work environment, excellent work life balance. Inclusive team members with open welcoming attitude to new employees. If you have a chance to join BAE I recommend you do your best to land a position.
A big machine...
Working at BAE Systems, though paid the average wage for the area and job, is a bit like working on a production line. Non-stop!
The focus seems to be keeping people busy, rather than being productive. So at times work is being carried out without the plans being mature enough to proceed. This time and time again has resulted in going back over previous work to correct errors.

Progression and promotion are difficult to come by, with option being apply for another role, rather than identifying skills and developing people for a role.

If you want a role where you turn up just to pick up a wage, the company is perfect but if you are looking to be recognised for your work and move up the business, its probably not for you.
Questionable
Not great for career progression unless your face fits.
Must have depth of knowledge of environment to be successful as no time for on the job training you are just dropped in the deep end with only online training for help.
Technically advanced, very focussed on finances, tendency to over-commit to clients, resulting in stressful atmosphere.
Full of intelligent people, primarily Oxford, Cambridge & Durham grads with 1st class degrees.
Technically oriented culture but a tendency to be optimistic when estimating client delivery dates on fixed price/time contracts.

The result is a stressful mix of pressure from the client to deliver on time, plus pressure from internal stakeholders to deliver to budget. Familiar situation - but aggressively managed, thus generating (for me) an unhappy work environment.
Good company to work for,
As a contractor I was in a very competitive environment. The work team I was with all worked together and made me part of their team. Contractor rates were good but the threat of IR35 grows ever closer. I would be happy to return to BAE on another contract if requested and shall actively seek further opportunities with them.
Pros
Limited as a contractor
Cons
Had to work away from home area, but that was my choice
BAE Systems is a blue chip company providing high quality professional services to industry.
I worked as a Site Manager / Environmental Engineer with "BAE Systems: Environmental Services" for 17 years. During this time I received extensive training in all aspects of environmental services as part of our goal of achieving accreditation with British and European Standards. We also achieved accreditation for Service Excellence.
Very supportive team
I joined BAE Systems and have found the company to be fully supportive and helpful. My Manager is friendly and approachable and is always on hand to help explain things or to provide support in any way required. BAE Systems is an inclusive workplace where everyone makes you feel welcome and valued. In my experience BAE Systems it is a fantastic place to work!
No career progression opportunities and job security
Would not recommend working here. Yearly redundancies.
Salary not market rate

Promotions not based on merit

Old boys club culture, so no chance of getting promoted when due.
interesting work
always plenty to do,keep your work area clean and tidy,management kept you informed all the time about work targets.Work mates were friendly and helpful.
Excellent company
Worked for them for 14 year, enjoyed every minute. Worked on many platforms aircraft, ships and vehicles enjoyable and challenging working environment.
Avoid at all costs
Stay away from this managerial disaster, think party in a brewery hosted by a screaming alcoholic. A modern day version of the titanic staggering from one disaster to another with more and more layers of mangers added at every opportunity.
Productive.
Gained lots of different skills, and capabilities. Responsible job. Variation of skills, including hazardous packing, inspecting, modification kits, fork lift driving
Toxic
The pay and other employee benefits are excellent, these include: company pension, shares and various discounts. The job security is good at the Barrow site but not so much elsewhere. The Barrow site is rife with bullying and nepotism, the majority of jobs are reserved for family and friends as it is in most big companies. And it is hard to get a transfer or promotion otherwise. If you are lucky enough to get a transfer via the internal vacancy system your current employer can 'hold' you for 'business requirements', effectively blocking the transfer. The workplace culture involves people idling around and not doing much work, those that do work are then bullied for doing so. HR are not very effective either, people tend to get away with murder. And strong health issues and doctors letters tend to be ignored and you are expected to carry on work.
In my opinion the positives do not outweigh the negatives, but the benefits are good if you have a family. Hence the 3 star rating.
Good it was an excellent time up at Rosyth dockyard
Joining up with people at Rosyth working on two aircraft carriers what is there more to say other than thanks for having me at times when other people would have giving there right arm to work at the yard and meet people that you don’t know but got the chance to work with them cheers
Fast paced environment Interesting projects working with good engineers. Long work days and shift patterns can make it difficult to achieve a good work life balance in a challenging environment.
Horrible place
Wish I’d never started working at BAE, there is a culture of bullying that’s rife! They are investigating many instances of bullying from senior management. I put up with it for 5 years and as a result developed anxiety and ending up resigning!
Good company, very progressive
Worked in Shared Services which was being developed at the time but it meant that there was plenty to do! Lots of young people which appears to be the target for talent management. Some concerns over the nature of the industry but if you thought about that 100% you would probably not be employed in most companies. Left due to illness but would go back now as fully recovered.
Pros
Benefits and development.
Cons
Excessive travel