BAE Systems Employee Reviews

Good Experience
Apprentice Engineer (Former Employee) –  Frimley13 September 2018
The four year apprenticeship was a great experience, many new topics were learnt and I got some experience in different areas of the IT industry. Management was underwhelming unfortunately.
Pros
One of the best pay grades you can get in such a role.
Cons
Management.
Slow
Combat Aerospace (Current Employee) –  Connington, Cambridgeshire31 August 2018
No career progression. Salary increase after 5 years. No senior management roles to strive for. Work enviroment is demoralising. Better opportunities in other companies. Things like coffee, snacks etc arnt even a thing with old buidlings.
Pros
patiotism, flexi
Cons
no progression in role / salary, minimal innovation
Good Company to work for, very little progression
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Brough29 August 2018
A good company to work for with possibility for development, however very little chance of promotion and progression especially if not looking for a management role.
productive, fun and great place to work
Apprentice mechanical fitter for two (Current Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria15 August 2018
worked on all types of valves, pipework, pumps learning all aspects of my trade and gaining new skills and bettering the skills I already had making me work to a high standard and take pride in my work. Management were very informative about any parts of the job, very approachable and understanding easy to talk to. Good and friendly working environment, all one big team always someone to help out if needed. I enjoy all parts of this job as you can still learn new things every day.
A day in the life of Safety & Compliance
Safety & Compliance (Current Employee) –  Coningsby26 July 2018
I work 4 full days and finish at lunch time on Fridays, working hours are normally 40-45hrs per week. Having only worked in this role for 18 months I am still learning daily. My role incorporates various aspects and a ‘Just Culture’ is one of those cultures which we openly like to promote. I have to understand the structure and procedures for operating in both the Error Management System (EMS) and the Quality Management System (QMS). The hardest part of the job is finding owners and resolution to raised issues on a daily basis. I also co-ordinate Safety Health and Environment (SHE) activities within various buildings on site. This includes DSE assessment and accident investigation when required.
The most enjoyable part of the job is my colleagues and the tight bond and working understanding that we all share.
Pros
Good team and work ethic
Cons
Getting the final solution
My experience here wasn't challenging enough for me.
Engineering Manager (Civil) (Former Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria5 July 2018
BAe systems was not a good place to work. I gained no additional experience and my colleagues were not very helpful. Also they gave me termination of my notice without any reason. Not a good experience.
Pros
Cons
Not a good place to work
Good place to work alonside a world class product
Principal Operations Engineer (Current Employee) –  Barrow-in-Furness5 July 2018
Working alongside a large array of stakeholders to make the job more efficient and reducing cost deductions. Culture is still set away from the current climate but personnel trying to improve this going forward.
Decent but stifling
Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Govan4 July 2018
I have worked here for 12 years and have been trying to advance for 5 of these only to be rejected for one reason that another in my situation be accepted in spite of, due to their connections, or be ignored completely. Day to day the job is fine if a little frustrating from lack of information and communication but nothing unmanageable
Exposure to advanced technology
Product Safety Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth25 June 2018
Great being exposed to advanced technology, ability to learn from other departments is fantastic.

Hours are good, however the social aspect is lacking slightly.
Couldn't wait to get out
Office worker (Former Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria19 June 2018
Well what can I say ,this is not for me and not what it says on the tin

This has to be the worst place I have ever worked , As a new starter first week was great then went down hill from there,Couldn't wait to get out
I guess if your a staff person your looked after more and for some people its the only place they've ever worked so they think they know it all,

Working day your just left to get on with it , Send lots of emails and get no responses what's so ever then you go and see the person then they complain to management or they are too busy

Its a bit clicky, some people are jobs worth's some don't speak

Offices I was in dark and smelly office and very hot with no natural daylight , hundreds of people in it , don't know how people worked in here for years can't be good for your health

If you want a long term boring job then this is the place for you
and very low wage for what you do

Its great if your a young apprentices or engineer lots of training and progression
Pros
None at all if your a contractor
Cons
Good Canteen
good
Counter balance forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth18 June 2018
Employer can be firm but fair. Workload arrives at a varied pace and can be busy one day and very quiet the next dependant on the attendace of ships. The workforce are friendly and helpful.
Pros
benefit scheme
Cons
promotion prospects
Productive and interesting to work in
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chatham9 June 2018
Great company to work for and very interesting to work in such as recording into a spreadsheet to designing a website also going to another site to help set up an event for schools.
Productive Workplace
Account Manager / Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, Kent4 June 2018
A great place to work where you are able to progress and help shape the workplace. Training is available and encouraged for everyone to assist in personal development and for business needs.
Management are friendly and approachable and a lot has been done to address work/life balance and also building social as well as professional links between staff.
Pros
Good pay and opportunities. Friendly workforce
exellent
Aviation rescue firefighter (Current Employee) –  Tamworth30 May 2018
excellent place of work and the people are world class I have learned a lot working here and would highly recommend to anyone who ask to take up a position .
Pros
lost
Cons
nil
Good steady employers
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire23 May 2018
Spent a long time with this company and as companies go in this day and age they are pretty good. Steady employment and good salaries and benefits. Only left due to wanting a change of work life balance as hours were longer than I wanted to continue with at that time
Pros
Good benefits and prospects
Cons
none really, just wanted less hours
Best place I worked at
receptonist (Former Employee) –  Crewe14 May 2018
Well I went for 3 months contract, ended staying 2 and half years they were the best management to work for people around me were the best I miss working there. They were very welcoming company I would go back any day. The hardest part of the job was leaving.
ok
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria7 May 2018
was ok to work for i was only on a temporary contract and did not really have any permanent work with the company but enjoyed working there when I did
Bae systems
Planner (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow3 May 2018
Work life balance is very good with the ability to work from home.
For to much internal politics and only progression is down to who you know, not how you perform
good place to work
Manufacturing / Commercial Officer (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh2 May 2018
I started working on the shop floor manufacturing products.
I moved onto the reception and learned computer skills. This enabled me to further my career into commercial. Good place to work with opportunities to further your career.
Pros
flexi time working
Great experiance
Principal Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria1 May 2018
Great opportunity to learn the many aspects of engineering associated with Submarine Technology. Other engineering aspects such as electrical, structures and dynamics practiced due to the nature of the job.
Pros
Respect for employees
Cons
No career advancement for contract workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BAE Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K