BAE Systems Business Intelligence

BAE Systems Business Intelligence Employee Reviews

United Kingdom31 reviews
A really good company that does some amazing work but lacks a little direction and real leadership. The board tend to fail the company by putting in place the behaviours and process that need to happen then completely ignore them themselves.
Pros
Amazing talent
Cons
No real structure or control
The HR team had a high turnover of staff (previously long tenure staff were all leaving) due to the contract HRD who did not interact well with his team. The environment was stressful, unsupportive and as a result there were many contract staff employed - including myself. I had worked here previously and the atmosphere was lovely but I decided not to extend my contract this time.
I loved working here, amongst true specialists and very intelligent people. I was lucky to report to the best manager ever and learned from him a lot. Work life balance perfect.
Gradually dying company characterised by useless sales force and management that blame the workforce and customers for everything and are never accountable themselves whilst still managing to earn fat bonuses they cut everybody else's salaries and perks. Attrition runs at a constant 33%-awful company.
Pros
Free kitkats
Cons
Totally incompetent, sihonest, bullying management have progressively destroyed the company over the last decade
Spent to much time on the bench looking for projects than actually working. Management was unhelpful at finding me work. I learned a lot of new skills.
Enjoyed my time at BAE with good learning experience. However there is no transparency from the management. Got a good project to work on. The workculture is not very impressive and I guess it comes with being a consultant. You are not in touch with your peers on a regular basis because of which you do not get the sense of belonging to the company.
Enjoyable work place with friendly colleagues and a good balance. Lots of changes of management when I was there, which didn't impact the day to day of work, but did confuse some projects
fun place to work, Nice people and good pay. Overall just a good experience. Only two days of work experience but looked like a friendly group of people to work with on a permanent basis.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Travel
Top down run companies are usually quite bad when they get this big. That's not BAE's fault though the fault of a top down run structure as opposed to a horizontal or bottom-up run structure.

They don't listen to their engineers advice. By using cost cutting measures and by not finishing jobs properly it led our engineering dept to quickly switch from a solution creating dept to a fire department. We were non-stop fixing our previous mistakes, even then we couldn't do the job properly as us engineers wanted it. We were pressured to always do it a cheaply as possible with management micromanaging leading to most of our suggested solutions/fixes being cut.

The worst part of it was that the engineers could do nothing about. We didin't have any say, any power over these decisions. So we done the only thing we can. Quit.
Pros
Good engineers
Cons
everything I said in my review.
Underperforming its brand and engineering potential due to lack of strategic insight, unconvincing leaders (below the MD), reduction in meritocracy and a systemic failure to call out and remedy poor performance.
Pros
The engineering skills of individuals and heritage IP
Cons
Management (individuals and process)
Insular social work environment, but interesting work. Offices in Waterside House, Surrey Research Park, Guildford were pleasant; modern, well lit and with aircon.
Pros
Remuneration was good and and good perks
Cons
Working days long and travel to client sites was necessary for every project
loved my work experience at BAE SYSTEMS, learning essential life skills and gaining quality experience of the working world. I would love to do it again!
Pros
learnt essential life skills
Competitive benefits and strong work culture
International opportunities

Broad business portfolio

Good work life balance

Supportive management and career development opportunities
Never actually did the role I applied for (Java Developer). Resourcing will place staff anywhere to fill chargeable roles - even if the role is not even remotely related to the job you applied for and your career goals and aspirations. They will arrange for you to be placed on roles without you knowing until the last minute.

The progression system is pathetic. You have to apply for promotion when the review round comes. Your performance is based on project line managers who you may have never met and a career mentor who has never worked with you. Your performance rating is then moderated by senior management who also have never met you let alone see your involvement and contributions on projects. Colleagues have been rejected promotions due to their being too many people in the next grade up, which is completely irrelevant to a employees' performances and unfair to those who deserve promotions.

The work environment is not the best. The company uses hot desks, where some of the equipment (keyboards, mice, etc) are worn and filthy. Have to bring antibacterial wipes to clean the equipment before use.

Management varies, but most of management staff are awful. Project managers are often paid the most and contribute least to project and have no technical ability to make sensible/reasonable decisions, hence the mass redundancies last year. However this does not solve an overarching hierarchy problem within the company.

My colleagues and I have provided feedback on several occasions, only to find that it does not appear to progress anywhere and the company are either
 - more...
Cons
Forced onto roles, no progression, poor management
This was by far one of my favorite jobs.
Dealing on a day to day basis with on site staff.

Total running of the sports club.

Event days for past veterans was a high light for me.
Pros
Cons
Non
Day to day I work with some really great people in my team. They make me proud. It's what makes it all worth it. Hopefully this is a team which will go on for a long time!
Great company to work for, with great people and strong purpose.
The company is not so good at IT integration but overall a fantastic place to build a career
BAE Systems is a large defence contractor and as such it is a rather rigid company, but well structured and great potential to learn and grow in your role.
Great Place. Good people. Interesting Work. Good culture. Great training. International. Prestigious client base. Global opportunities. Very process rich.
Everyone's experience of a company is different.
I had a rocky start where I was supposed to start in Gloucester but due to clearances or lack of as a graduate I found myself sent to Guildford. I spent a gruelling year and a half travelling there but what kept me going was the work and the team I was working with. I would not change it for the world and eventually moved there to retain the role I found.

That start may have out put people off but you have to remember that it is a consultancy, it's part of the job description (not to mention written into the contract that you may be made to travel).

The culture I have always found to be friendly and considerate of abilities and levels. There are plenty of good quality corporate events and opportunities to socialise.

All round it was a great place to start my career and I have (and currently continue to) thoroughly enjoy my time there.
I have learnt an incredible amount in the last six years. Having started as a fairly junior developer, I am now leading an international team. The environment is challenging and you are surrounded by people that you can learn from.
Pros
Free kitkats and fruit