BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Employee Reviews

Depends which part of the business you are in but overall disappointing
Business Area Manager (Former Employee) –  London, United Kingdom12 October 2018
Underperforming its brand and engineering potential due to lack of strategic insight, unconvincing leaders (below the MD), reduction in meritocracy and a systemic failure to call out and remedy poor performance.
Pros
The engineering skills of individuals and heritage IP
Cons
Management (individuals and process)
great place friendly environment
learner (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex6 June 2018
loved my work experience at BAE SYSTEMS, learning essential life skills and gaining quality experience of the working world. I would love to do it again!
Pros
learnt essential life skills
Interesting business portfolio
Management Consultant Internship (Former Employee) –  UK2 May 2018
Competitive benefits and strong work culture
International opportunities
Broad business portfolio
Good work life balance
Supportive management and career development opportunities
Big Mistake
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Southwark, Greater London2 April 2018
Never actually did the role I applied for (Java Developer). Resourcing will place staff anywhere to fill chargeable roles - even if the role is not even remotely related to the job you applied for and your career goals and aspirations. They will arrange for you to be placed on roles without you knowing until the last minute.

The progression system is pathetic. You have to apply for promotion when the review round comes. Your performance is based on project line managers who you may have never met and a career mentor who has never worked with you. Your performance rating is then moderated by senior management who also have never met you let alone see your involvement and contributions on projects. Colleagues have been rejected promotions due to their being too many people in the next grade up, which is completely irrelevant to a employees' performances and unfair to those who deserve promotions.

The work environment is not the best. The company uses hot desks, where some of the equipment (keyboards, mice, etc) are worn and filthy. Have to bring antibacterial wipes to clean the equipment before use.

Management varies, but most of management staff are awful. Project managers are often paid the most and contribute least to project and have no technical ability to make sensible/reasonable decisions, hence the mass redundancies last year. However this does not solve an overarching hierarchy problem within the company.

My colleagues and I have provided feedback on several occasions, only to find that it does not appear to progress anywhere and the company are either
  more... oblivious or deliberately ignorant.  less
Cons
Forced onto roles, no progression, poor management
A relaxing fun place to work
Sports and Leisure Manager (Former Employee) –  Stanmore, Greater London14 November 2017
This was by far one of my favorite jobs.
Dealing on a day to day basis with on site staff.
Total running of the sports club.
Event days for past veterans was a high light for me.
Pros
Cons
Non
Good people
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey4 October 2017
Day to day I work with some really great people in my team. They make me proud. It's what makes it all worth it. Hopefully this is a team which will go on for a long time!
Great platform to build a career
HR Advisor (Current Employee) –  London1 August 2017
Great company to work for, with great people and strong purpose.
The company is not so good at IT integration but overall a fantastic place to build a career
Typical large company workplace culture
REGIONAL DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Guildford26 June 2017
BAE Systems is a large defence contractor and as such it is a rather rigid company, but well structured and great potential to learn and grow in your role.
Great
Sr. Vice President Software Engineering (Current Employee) –  London, UK27 May 2017
Great Place. Good people. Interesting Work. Good culture. Great training. International. Prestigious client base. Global opportunities. Very process rich.
Excellent company and work
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey17 January 2017
Everyone's experience of a company is different.
I had a rocky start where I was supposed to start in Gloucester but due to clearances or lack of as a graduate I found myself sent to Guildford. I spent a gruelling year and a half travelling there but what kept me going was the work and the team I was working with. I would not change it for the world and eventually moved there to retain the role I found.

That start may have out put people off but you have to remember that it is a consultancy, it's part of the job description (not to mention written into the contract that you may be made to travel).

The culture I have always found to be friendly and considerate of abilities and levels. There are plenty of good quality corporate events and opportunities to socialise.

All round it was a great place to start my career and I have (and currently continue to) thoroughly enjoy my time there.
Flexible and encouraging workplace
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  London and Guildford14 October 2016
I have learnt an incredible amount in the last six years. Having started as a fairly junior developer, I am now leading an international team. The environment is challenging and you are surrounded by people that you can learn from.
Pros
Free kitkats and fruit
Challenging.
JAVA Developer (Former Employee) –  Leeds20 July 2016
Taken on as a Java Developer and learnt lots of good procedures such as formal code reviews, Agile and unittesting.

Following that many developers got moved through into a new support department. The training on what we were supporting was not really sufficient to do the role effectively, it was difficult to find effective help within the company, making the role hard.

If you like challenges and working harder than is probably good, you may like this place.
Pros
Air conditioning & good coffee
Great work place, Great People, Great Culture
Procurement Manager (Current Employee) –  London England16 June 2016
At BAE, my colleagues are amongst the most intelligent people I have worked with throughout my career in consulting. BAE is a dynamic company and having the flexibility to work from home, at times, is a good benefit.
Terrible Senior Management
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  London22 March 2016
My time at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence was good during the early years when it was Detica, however over time it has become more bureaucratic and penny pinching.

Strict rules have been enforced to cheat people out of bonuses even if they are performing very well (just not exceeding expectations) and you cannot trust anything a senior manager tells you unless it is in writing.

Also you cannot be promoted unless you brown nose the required individuals, it's not enough to just do your job well and carry out tasks required of the level above.
Pros
Good salary and usually good social life
Cons
Bureaucratic, distrustful senior management, brown nosing required for promotion
Summary
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  London21 March 2016
Good company with a good work/life balance.

If course this depends on the role, and the clients you may be working with.

The people at the company are generally likeable and smart
Fantastic company to work for
Front of House Receptionist (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station26 November 2015
BAE was a great company to work for, it had good working ethics and believed in their employees.
I had a fantastic working background with my co-workers, this also included building friendship's outside of work.
Pros
free lunches, great people to work with and a very nice working enviroment
Cons
La gente es estupenda y los proyectos interesantes
Consultor (Current Employee) –  London, ENG4 September 2015
No hay un dia tipico - es bueno. Últimamente ha habido un cambio de enfoque en el negocio de productos de seguridad cibernética, y menos de un énfasis en la consultoría.
Pros
Trabajo interesante
Cons
La paga es por debajo del estándar de la industria
not that great
Senior Creative Recruiter (Former Employee) –  London24 February 2015
brought in to work on specific roles then once they dried up given a poisoned challis to look after that was totally out of my extensive network and expected to hire directly without any tools.
Pros
most of the people in the specialist team are awesome
Cons
management
Fun and Aspiring Company
Global Site Operations Administrator (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey, UK13 January 2015
I really enjoyed working for BAE i worked as part of a team that pulled together to make our day to day working day run smoothly and any problems we encounted we all helped to overcome.

The work ethic was great we worked hard and i felt passionate that we worked for a company that does so many good things to protect the world from threat.

I socialised with my team outside of work and we had a very strong work ethic but also enjoyed taking part in company social activities.
Pros
Staff Reward Schemes and the working enviroment and company culture
Exciting projects and dedicated team
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Leeds, ENG29 March 2014
The UKDC is an excellent place to work with a variety of interesting projects and roles. The people around you are highly talented and work as a team to overcome challenges to deliver innovative solutions.
During my time the delivery centre has moved forward greatly, this is down to the teams drive.
You will go a long way if you have the passion and the willingness to go the extra mile and move forward with the company. The difference I made was recognised throughout and rewarded as part of the Thank you awards the company runs every month.
Pros
Great people, exciting work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Our community is ready to answer.

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Reviews by Location