B&Q Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Found 77 reviews matching the search See all 1,708 reviews
Great team but not a lot of opportunities for progression
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Paisley20 February 2018
The working environment is friendly and there is a great sense of teamwork. You are expected to know a lot about the products so it is important to get up to speed with that as quickly as possible. The other staff are always there to help. You are expected to be flexible and work at various different times. The salary is also very basic. A lot of staff are on smaller contracts and only get overtime during busy periods.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Not a lot of opportunities for progression
Strong team and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire5 November 2017
During my time at B&Q I worked as a greeter, welcoming the customers into the store and being the first port of call to help them find what they were looking for. I also worked on the tills, serving customers.
B&Q was an excellent place to work, with many of the staff being friendly and always happy to help where needed.
The best part of this job was the interaction with customers. I gained satisfaction in knowing that I had helped people to find what they needed efficiently and providing service with a smile.
The most difficult part of the job was giving specific knowledge of certain items, due to B&Q having a very large amount of stock.
Pros
Competitive salary
Cons
Long hours standing in once place
good
Sales assistant, Employee No. 467765 (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft4 January 2019
this was a very enjoyable work place with lots of people to talk to and interact with, it was a very hands on job which i really enjoyed, the staff were amazing and the customer service aspect of this i thoroughly enjoyed.
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth7 October 2017
Really good job with loads of benefits. You come out with loads of skills and knowing a lot of good people. This job also stands you in good stead to move on into the world of DIY.
Management in some areas could improve.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Early starts sometimes
fun and fast moving
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halesowen17 July 2018
a typical day at work moves fast and there are lot of different jobs to do, shifts are flexible and it is never boring. Lovely colleagues and well paid
Official response from B&Q
20 July 2018

Thanks for leaving us a great review. We will have this fed back.

Great team atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Haverhill, Suffolk26 June 2017
Friendly place to work, good career and training for the most part but no opportunities to get more permanent contracted hours which is why I am looking for a new job
Pros
Salary
Cons
Overtime, extra hour limitations
funplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashton-Under-Lyne30 June 2017
we were stacking shelf's then we were sorting customers returns and delivery and then cash handling

it was hard to stay on your feet all day but we manage to complete the tasks

the management was a tough cook to build a trust with them and ask for some help

the work places culture is a construction site for people that need anything to fit in your home or garden or maybe bathroom

the most enjoyable part of the job is cash handling because i can go in to depth with it so i can ask next please and the customers are so nice when they are served
Pros
long lunch
Cons
Its a good company to work for
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire5 February 2018
Good company with great managers that are down to earth.staff are always happy help with customers and each other so great team work.they are also very flexible with the hours to be worked on a daily basis.
Pros
Good people
productive
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carmarthen22 December 2017
I have worked for 2 years working around my timetable as a student in high school, then as a student in university. I went to university away in Aberystwyth and the management arranged for me to work an 8 hour contract so that I could fit it around ,my time table so I would only have to work 1 weekend every 2 weeks which was very helpful. however training and management have not been the best recently due to problems within the management structure.
Pros
in town
Cons
odd hours
Staff realy pleasent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  hereford9 January 2014
Staff so nice to work with as well as good company benefits. management can be addressed. overall, place i would recommend
Benefits
Cons
some managers not listerning to colleages needs
Was great now poor
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barnstaple, Devon, UK29 October 2017
Lost great managers because of the store managers inability to allow flexibility to suit worklife balance and agendas from managers who have been here for 20 years not having a clue. No breaks, work all hours with no gratitude. New managers are nowhere near the standard of the ones forced out and all they do is sit in the office and tell the regionals what they want to hear and falsify reviews to look good on reports. Bring back the old managers and let’s be great again!
Pros
Was good
Cons
Store manager politics
Good Team and Fun
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth24 March 2013
Great team, got on well with other members of staff, good benefits.
Pros
summer and winter bounses
Cons
reaching targets and add on sales
Varied role and fairly interesting
Sales Assistant (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire4 July 2017
If you enjoy DIY and know your products this can be a great place to work. Most customers look for advice and you can demonstrate your product knowledge skills. However there are quiet periods with no customers but always something to do.

The staff in our branch are great to work with and the management are level headed to.

The pay is just above minimum wage and this is set for all age groups. Contract hours can be low but generally there are no zero hours contracts. Overtime is given frequently however this all depends on sales figures and can be withdrawn at short notice.
Pros
20% discount and occassional special offers, ability to move to other departments
Cons
Badly planned rotas, understaffed at times
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport15 February 2018
Standing still while not being busy inst great, I feel as if i should be able to be more productive and should have been able to go back to my original job role.
Pros
Standard shift
Cons
Standing still in one place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ebbw Vale18 August 2017
Good place to start a career as well as to finish your career. Management spot potential in staff and guide them through a performance programme leading to promotion no matter how old you are.
Pros
Excellent work place with good structure and training.
Cons
Minimum contracted hours
careful your not sacked for pumping
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Penrith, ENG25 August 2015
where do i start. was really excited to start the new store at b&q penrith, although the interview process was a little strange. i felt like iwas trying to compete for a place ona game show. i had to sell products in front of other applicants and b&q staff, a team building exercise and then a final intervew. just to find out everyone on the day got the job anyway...

50+ new staff. i worked there 10 months. and in that time more i seen over 25 people sacked and 10 leave. all for ridiculous things. one person forgot to put hes high vis jacket on to enter the warehouse and go fired. very poor management. i had over 3 different managers over the 10 months. 3 hour shifts commuting from a different town 20 miles away. never fully trained. the best part of job was learning from customers, i worked on flooring and never received any training at all. the worse part was all the staff stealing stock from the store and selling it on ebay
Pros
easy to pinch, long long breaks
Cons
no training, no staff, no one to talk to because they were sacked, awful discount, hence why i nicked it
Depressing
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire and Humberside3 January 2018
not flexible company, no chance to develop, you are just a number the management dont care if you are struggling. always force more hours onto you....
great people to work with
Showroom Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire4 January 2018
b&q is a great place to work and on the showroom department you can earn alot of commission if your successfull and perfect if you only want part time shifts
Pros
comission
Cons
part time contract and very few weekends off
Awful management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire2 October 2017
A company owned by shareholders only care about the profits not its hard working staff who face customers daily. Terrible work/life balance do not offer flexibility generally awful to work for.
Poor management
Showroom Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cornwall29 March 2016
When I first started at B&Q I loved my job. I work on the showroom so that involves selling kitchen, bedroom and bathrooms. Our store is one of the ones that will be closing this year, we were told that it would be business as usual until the last few months. Anyway our store manager left and got replaced with another. The new manager is horrible, he is patronising, he contradicts everything that he says, he puts immense pressure on the other managers, doesn't allow you to have the holiday that you want (even if no one else has booked that week) and tries to force you to do over time. From reading other people's reviews it seems that a lot of the store managers are the same. The one that was there when I first started was so lovely, really supportive and didn't act as if he was above you.

Trading managers can be a bit hit and miss. One once accused me of leaving 10 minutes before the end of my shift (they checked the CCTV and I hadn't), they were lazy and unsupportive. Others can be great, they can help you with any little thing!

As far as the job goes, it is boring. On Saturdays, Sundays, Wednesdays and Bank Holidays you can't do anything between the hours of 10-4 but talk to customers, if there is no customers all you can do is walk around the store to 'proactively approach your customers'. You then get moaned at for not completing tasks. On the showroom department you are forced to read stupid scripts out over the tannoy and made to ring customers when you know that they don't want to buy their kitchen from us.

Other members of staff I worked with were fantastic,
  more... we had such a great team! Just a shame about our store manager situation.

Benefits and pay are changing so if you have worked there for 5 years you will be paid the same hourly rate as someone that has just started!

B&Q are making lots of changes as a company so until those changes are complete, avoid it like the plague!
Pros
Other staff (store specific)
Cons
Store manager (store specific), staff from other stores can be rude over the phone, customers are rude (to be expected), some customers are sexist, boring service hours, pressure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at B&Q. Our community is ready to answer.