B&Q Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Found 77 reviews matching the search See all 1,665 reviews
fun and fast moving
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halesowen17 July 2018
a typical day at work moves fast and there are lot of different jobs to do, shifts are flexible and it is never boring. Lovely colleagues and well paid
Official response from B&Q
20 July 2018

Thanks for leaving us a great review. We will have this fed back.

Great team but not a lot of opportunities for progression
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Paisley20 February 2018
The working environment is friendly and there is a great sense of teamwork. You are expected to know a lot about the products so it is important to get up to speed with that as quickly as possible. The other staff are always there to help. You are expected to be flexible and work at various different times. The salary is also very basic. A lot of staff are on smaller contracts and only get overtime during busy periods.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Not a lot of opportunities for progression
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport15 February 2018
Standing still while not being busy inst great, I feel as if i should be able to be more productive and should have been able to go back to my original job role.
Pros
Standard shift
Cons
Standing still in one place
Its a good company to work for
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire5 February 2018
Good company with great managers that are down to earth.staff are always happy help with customers and each other so great team work.they are also very flexible with the hours to be worked on a daily basis.
Pros
Good people
Cons
great people to work with
Showroom Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire4 January 2018
b&q is a great place to work and on the showroom department you can earn alot of commission if your successfull and perfect if you only want part time shifts
Pros
comission
Cons
part time contract and very few weekends off
Depressing
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire and Humberside3 January 2018
not flexible company, no chance to develop, you are just a number the management dont care if you are struggling. always force more hours onto you....
productive
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carmarthen22 December 2017
I have worked for 2 years working around my timetable as a student in high school, then as a student in university. I went to university away in Aberystwyth and the management arranged for me to work an 8 hour contract so that I could fit it around ,my time table so I would only have to work 1 weekend every 2 weeks which was very helpful. however training and management have not been the best recently due to problems within the management structure.
Pros
in town
Cons
odd hours
Amazing
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartcliffe, Bristol7 November 2017
Very nice people,very nice place to work,very good with your shifts,good place to work not very far from where I live,massive store and good items to sell
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long
Strong team and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire5 November 2017
During my time at B&Q I worked as a greeter, welcoming the customers into the store and being the first port of call to help them find what they were looking for. I also worked on the tills, serving customers.
B&Q was an excellent place to work, with many of the staff being friendly and always happy to help where needed.
The best part of this job was the interaction with customers. I gained satisfaction in knowing that I had helped people to find what they needed efficiently and providing service with a smile.
The most difficult part of the job was giving specific knowledge of certain items, due to B&Q having a very large amount of stock.
Pros
Competitive salary
Cons
Long hours standing in once place
Was great now poor
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barnstaple, Devon, UK29 October 2017
Lost great managers because of the store managers inability to allow flexibility to suit worklife balance and agendas from managers who have been here for 20 years not having a clue. No breaks, work all hours with no gratitude. New managers are nowhere near the standard of the ones forced out and all they do is sit in the office and tell the regionals what they want to hear and falsify reviews to look good on reports. Bring back the old managers and let’s be great again!
Pros
Was good
Cons
Store manager politics
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk13 October 2017
I gained a lot of self confidence working here. I learned how to work part of a team and by myself. Also had to learn the whereabouts of items in the whole store so I was able to help customers with ease.
Pros
Built confidence
Cons
No cons
Fun & Friendly
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnsley, South Yorkshire12 October 2017
Fun and friendly workplace, learned many skills & how to deal properly with customers. The hardest part of job was the heavy lifting. The management were great and very understanding.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Heavy lifting
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth7 October 2017
Really good job with loads of benefits. You come out with loads of skills and knowing a lot of good people. This job also stands you in good stead to move on into the world of DIY.
Management in some areas could improve.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Early starts sometimes
Awful management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire2 October 2017
A company owned by shareholders only care about the profits not its hard working staff who face customers daily. Terrible work/life balance do not offer flexibility generally awful to work for.
People were kind, productive workplace,great environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Folkestone29 September 2017
I didn’t work there long but everyone was friendly and kind and made sure I understood the job they helped me develop skills that I otherwise wouldn’t be aware of overall I’m grateful for the people that helped me.
Pros
Workplace was always fun and it wasn’t very stressful
Cons
I had to travel a lot and got confused on my first days
bad managment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  barnet19 September 2017
management were awful, made you feel guilty for not doing over time, and would give you a job list of 100 things to do when you were the only member working on your department. working with my colleagues was good.
Pros
good staff
Cons
bad management
No family nd work balance.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newtownabbey, County Antrim29 August 2017
As a part time employee of 24 hours per week I am made to work 5 days a week. This could be anything from 7am to 9pm over 7 days and not on a set Rota. Child care is a nightmare as my days and hours of work change every week. As I have a young family this is no longer suitable for me.
Pros
Store Team bonus
Cons
No set hours or days.
B&Q don't not care for there staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire28 August 2017
I worked for the Slough branch for 19 years but in March 2016 I had a mini stroke 3 months later I got boot out which is unfair but my hospital report did not match the ambulance report was not treat well
If you wanted to move department was a issue
The Mangers never gave you a chance to move you was stuck in department
Cons
No weekends off book holiday 1 year in advance
Fun Place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 August 2017
Fun place to work out. Enjoyed everything except picking orders which was heavy. Too many managers which was annoying. And had targets daily to sign up club cards.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ebbw Vale18 August 2017
Good place to start a career as well as to finish your career. Management spot potential in staff and guide them through a performance programme leading to promotion no matter how old you are.
Pros
Excellent work place with good structure and training.
Cons
Minimum contracted hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at B&Q. Our community is ready to answer.