B&Q Employee Reviews for Client Advisor

Found 327 reviews matching the search See all 1,661 reviews
Was sweet but turned sour
Reading, Customer advisor (Current Employee) –  Reading6 November 2018
When i first started working at B&Q it was a joy and most people enjoyed being there. As time went on things changed, money went down and also job satisfaction and now being redundant.
Pros
4 day week working nights
Cons
redundancy
Pointless place to work
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lancashire2 November 2018
Cannot wait to leave. The only thing that matters is how much you suck up to managers then you will get more hours and a permanent contract.
All managers do is stand around and talk, and speak to you as if you’re dirt.
Clearly a false sense of power just because they are a manager.
Non-managerial staff are great well those ones who don’t follow the managers around.
Holidays didn’t update right so I now have 8 weeks in order to take 3.5 weeks holiday.
No full time hours available, supposed to be part time but the hours are so awkward you can’t fit anything else in that day.
Worst decision I ever made.
Rotes never done right, not enough weeks notice.
Avoid!
Pros
Rest of staff are great
Cons
Poor and self entitled managers, no progression, poor rota and scheduled hours.
CUSTOMER ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Wigan27 October 2018
I started working here on a part-time basis on front-end (tills), the staff are all amazing, very friendly. The managers/supervisors on front-end are fantastic, very accommodating and even when I decided to go back to university, they tried to help me where they could. I can't comment on the department managers because I didn't work on a department. The store managers were not as good, too wrapped up in the business side of things and not attentive enough / didn't look after their staff well-enough.
Unsure future
Customer Advisor/Sales (Current Employee) –  Bristol26 October 2018
Lots of changes, working hours, pay, working practices. No longer the caring company it was. Wonderful people to work with but increasing management pressure does make it a stressful work environment.
Pros
Good holiday entitlement and B&Q discount.
Cons
Only 1 non working day per year.
Better than working at Amazon.
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes20 October 2018
Management are dismal, with no staff supervision or accountability it's like a playground but with mice and rats under all the shelves.

The last government increase in minimum wage was a pay-cut for staff as they took away some of the location allowance. Next year will be the same.
Pros
You can use the toilets.
Cons
Everything's filthy.
B&Q, company in trouble !
Customer Adviser (Former Employee) –  Devon18 October 2018
When I started at B&Q the company benefits were very good.
Kingfisher (B&Q Owners) have stripped there company down for a takeover that never happened.
Multiple reinventions and CEO changes have left B&Q a broken struggling company.
Very busy but very rewarding
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex18 October 2018
Working at B&Q can be tough at times especially if you're new and are at a larger store. But the staff are mostly friendly and help you along the way. In my experience, my manager was hard on my rota and didn't allow me to change my hours or my rota as I worked 2 8 hour shifts on the weekend and then went to college the next day. But my manger did offer me another place within the store which I declined. Working there can be tiring as you're constantly on the move and dealing with customers and you don't often get to complete tasks given to you. And my uniform especially was uncomfortable as it was black and the stitching rubbed on the inside of my leg which isn't helpful for skin if you have sensitive skin. But the pay is much better than in comparison to other places. I was supposed to be on £8.03 an hour as described on the advert. But, I was getting 550 per month for 16 hours a week (£8.70 a WEEK!). I would recommend working there if you can tolerate customers and can balance this type of work with other things such as college.
Pros
Great pay, discounts on phones, cinemas ect., good staff
Cons
management may not be good, tiring, can throw you in the deep end.
not fun
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Essex11 October 2018
Work you to the bone for Peanuts. Not really worth it if you ask me but, they could do more in terms of salary and benefits cause the pay is atrocious considering the amount of work done
Pros
Cons
the whole company
Poor company
Customer advisor (Former Employee) –  B&q7 October 2018
Poor job security and they have no respect for years of service. But the holidays period they give is 6 weeks a year which is more then some other companys
Pros
Good holidays
Cons
Poor staffing
Awkward Transition Time
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex29 September 2018
Trying to keep up to date with technology and new policies/pricing, but have only irritated customers in the process and adding more stress to an already underemployed staffing situation.

Though i enjoy working with the majority of my colleagues. some get away with murder for being managements favorites while others are treated like hindrance despite doing job to best of their ability and insulted regularly. staffing also leads to days where there is no one to serve customers on shop floor or tils so good if you like overtime (when they can afford it) bad for stress levels and overall store morale.

no time to plan around rota either, given to you less then 3 days before start of a new month and changes regularly from then til the end of said month.
Pros
Holiday, Pay, Breaks, Discount
Cons
Management, Rota, Staff Care
Okay ish
Replenishment customer advisor (Current Employee) –  Swindon27 September 2018
Okay place to work if you have no social life. I would recommend B&Q to anyone who has just left school and wants a first job but please bare in mind that you are only allowed 3 occasions off sick during your first 18 month trial period.
Fun workplace
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester13 September 2018
One of the best workplace I have worked in.
My customer service skills were improving day by day, as you get a number of customers from different ages.
One of my best days were Wednesdays, the OAP day.
A lonely stressful job
Trade point Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Redditch13 September 2018
Working at B&Q is a test of your own mental strength. You will regularly find that you are the only member of staff on hand to deal with customer enquiries, with little to no managerial support.

A typical day of work at B&Q will involve coming into work and then having the various members of staff whom you are supposed to be working with leave and go off towards the back end of the store. This leaves you by yourself to deal with the customers, be that selling on till, dealing with enquiries, taking phone calls, taking customer orders etc. You'll be left to do it all by yourself.

On top of this as you will have access to the stores computer system and the staff on the main tills don't, you get their customers directed at you too, adding more to your already stretched workload. Don't think you can call for help either. There is an intercom system, but don't bother as the most you can expect from management is a phone call with a half hearted suggestion that gets you nowhere.

You will work long hours, mostly until the store closes at 9pm at night. But at that time there are usually no customers as they are all at home, so you can look forward to standing there with your own thoughts as you are not permitted to leave your till and there are no other staff members around to talk too.

Looking at the reviews for both B&Q and Tradepoint on Trustpilot, they are mostly negative with both companies receiving an overall rating of 1 star. A common thread running through the reviews is unmotivated and miserable staff and after having worked there I can see why.
Pros
A 20% discount card and an extra £1 on wages after 6 months.
Cons
Long hours, little to do, no support from colleagues, working until 9pm most days.
Funny and Relaxed Place to Work
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  New Malden6 September 2018
Nice laid back and relaxed place to work. Colleagues and seniors mix very well and everyone is very friendly. Would definitely recommend to any students who need a relaxed job that offers good pay
Like a big family
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham4 September 2018
B&Q are a massive company which seem to thrive on customers but not so much the staff. The management within store care for you but above them you are just a number unfortunately. Every weekend working can get annoying.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Unfair hours
Good Company to work for
Customer Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff31 August 2018
The time I spent at B&Q was a pleasant one learning about customer service.Typical day at work would be checking paint levels in the mixing machines,,re-stocking shelves and fronting up goods.Helping customers to choose correc products for their needs.
Pros
full work clothes
Cons
distance to work
Good temporary work however not much chance of progression.
Replenishment Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Stroud23 August 2018
I enjoy the people I work with and typically the work I do also. However management is not of the highest standard in my opinion. Good pay rate per hour and genuinely a good atmosphere to work in.
Pros
Good colleagues to work with, good rate of pay
Cons
Unpaid lunches, little decision in what hours you work, management can be uncaring and misunderstanding.
High turnover of staff
Customer advisor (Former Employee) –  Yate21 August 2018
Not a bad company and wages reflect their status in the business.
Very high turnover of staff
Treated as a number and not a colleague
No give and take just lots of pressure based around performance
Left the company as didn't like the lack of customer service and the don't care attitude from managers.
Great for till based youngsters
Pros
Short shifts for students
Cons
No direction, very little positive feedback
One of The Worst
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Reading2 August 2018
I was successful in completing an application quiz, and got an invite to an interview. During this interview one of the managers asked if I had any holiday booked, I said yes, at the end of July. The manager confirmed that they will honour my holiday and as soon as I book it on the system they will approve it.

Long story short, they have a problem of laziness when it comes to checking holiday applications, it took them a month to check mine and in the end they rejected it. Needless to say I took it anyway and got told off for this when I returned, rather than admit their own faults and slack.

I applied for the role of customer advisor, the job is riddled with loopholes that give management the power to make any member of staff do any job role in the store. I was lumbered with the building department and they set me up to use the timber cutting service which involves the use of a large mounted saw to cut all kinds of shapes for customers, this did not sit well with me as I applied for customer advisor not a carpenter, otherwise I would have stayed in trade work.

The managers are absolutely useless, passing their work load and pritorties onto other managers and members of staff in order to leave early and have an easier day. So useless are the managers that the bulk of management work is carried out by the customer advisors, giving them a false sense of power and giving them the ability to do what they want.

Working with B&Q requires a few simple things, such as having little to no social life and no self respect or worth, perfect if you want to be a loner. They
  more... do what they want with the rotas and expect everyone to revolve their life around their plans, sometimes putting you on 6 days in a row while others are enjoying weekends off.

On the first few days of the job you will be led into a false sense of security, believing that you will be trained and accompanied throughout your beginning weeks in order to learn the ropes and how to do the job properly, instead you are dropped in the deep end and scolded when you don't understand something you have not yet been taught.

The list of issues I had while working here goes on and on and it isn't unusual, many of my friends and ex collegues have fortunately left B&Q with great relief, working there is a prison sentence and the only goal you will make there is to leave as soon as possible, unless you have a screw lose and wish to remain. If you are unfortunate enough to work there for a long period of time you will be consumed by the place and soon turn into a shell of your former self, giving up all your hopes and dreams of ever leading a satisfying and fulfilling life.
Cons
Long shifts with no set lunch time, little support and minimal training, terrible management, unless you're a manager you're a servant for every other member of staff
Fun place to work
Tadepoint Customer Advisor And warehouse admin (Former Employee) –  Sutton31 July 2018
Serving trade customers ensuring they have the products they need for there day to day work life.
Ensuring that the work enviroment is kept clean and tidy
Pros
Always hadd a good laugh with staff and customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at B&Q. Our community is ready to answer.