B&Q Employee Reviews for Client Advisor

Found 332 reviews matching the search See all 1,706 reviews
Once in a lifetime
Seasonal Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Redditch13 July 2018
I have worked at B&Q for a year and a half know and would never leave I love it. Isis look for another job with more hours but found myself not wanting to leave.
My felleow colleagues make the job though and the section I'm on - gardening. Managers listen too you and also help when needed or asked.
There is that drive to sell but I focus on customer satisfaction.
Give to B&Q and B&Q will give back, just don't give them too much, the company won't think any more of you.

If you stand up for yourself and make yourself heard you can-

You are given the chance to better yourself and me being only a Customer Advisor, in 17months I'm now head of teaching my section about new ranges. I have been given the chance to do any training I like, so for me, tills, timbersaw, paint desk, tradepoint, pump truck, MEWP and returns etc, etc.
Pros
Salary, colleagues, hours, permanency.
Cons
Facing up stock and managers going about sales.
15 July 2018

Hi there, thank you so much for leaving us this review! We're happy to hear that you enjoy working with us and are making progress in your role. Hopefully this remains the same going forward!

B&Q, company in trouble !
Customer Adviser (Former Employee) –  Devon18 October 2018
When I started at B&Q the company benefits were very good.
Kingfisher (B&Q Owners) have stripped there company down for a takeover that never happened.
Multiple reinventions and CEO changes have left B&Q a broken struggling company.
Interesting place to work.
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Coventry14 June 2018
I would talk to customers and let them know about different offers and products, stock shelves, carry heavy products for customers, complete orders and wrap them up ready for delivery, get customers to sign up for club cards, cut carpet, clean up section of the store, set up new displays and be in charge of one specific aisle.
I learned a lot about working in retail in this store as well as people skills and being professional.
The hardest part of the job was having to do so many things at once, often times on my own.
The most enjoyable part was learning about the products so I could be better at my job.
Pros
Decent salary with 20% discount in store
Cons
Too many jobs for one person to do
27 June 2018

Hi there, thank you for your time leaving this review. We'll take these comments on board and try to work on this going forward.

27 June 2018

Hi there, we're glad you found B&Q an interesting place to work. Thanks for leaving this review!

not fun
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Essex11 October 2018
Work you to the bone for Peanuts. Not really worth it if you ask me but, they could do more in terms of salary and benefits cause the pay is atrocious considering the amount of work done
Pros
Cons
the whole company
Awkward Transition Time
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex29 September 2018
Trying to keep up to date with technology and new policies/pricing, but have only irritated customers in the process and adding more stress to an already underemployed staffing situation.

Though i enjoy working with the majority of my colleagues. some get away with murder for being managements favorites while others are treated like hindrance despite doing job to best of their ability and insulted regularly. staffing also leads to days where there is no one to serve customers on shop floor or tils so good if you like overtime (when they can afford it) bad for stress levels and overall store morale.

no time to plan around rota either, given to you less then 3 days before start of a new month and changes regularly from then til the end of said month.
Pros
Holiday, Pay, Breaks, Discount
Cons
Management, Rota, Staff Care
Worker's attitude
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Farnborough21 November 2018
As with all things it's down to the individual's attitude towards work that determines how well they'll cope for the long term future. You may not always get out what you think you put in, but the important thing to do is to take negatives onboard but with a pinch of salt. Be honest about what you do and how well you do it, and look at alternatives if you're not happy with your current situation.
Everyone has a choice regarding all matters. So as long as you've got a good group of colleagues around you who can relate to whatever it is you're going through, it can make work a lot easier to come to terms with. Its all about the "give and take" balance, if you can get that right you'll be a lot more positive in general.
Pros
Good group of core workers
Cons
Taken for granted with unreasonable workloads
Friendly and helpful collegues poor management.
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Dunfermline, Fife21 March 2018
The knowledge that staff are expected to know would equate to a professional person in some areas.

For the salary the staff are given (less than the living wage)does not match the knowledge and experince that staff are expected to learn.
Cons
Poor work life balance
Very busy but very rewarding
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex18 October 2018
Working at B&Q can be tough at times especially if you're new and are at a larger store. But the staff are mostly friendly and help you along the way. In my experience, my manager was hard on my rota and didn't allow me to change my hours or my rota as I worked 2 8 hour shifts on the weekend and then went to college the next day. But my manger did offer me another place within the store which I declined. Working there can be tiring as you're constantly on the move and dealing with customers and you don't often get to complete tasks given to you. And my uniform especially was uncomfortable as it was black and the stitching rubbed on the inside of my leg which isn't helpful for skin if you have sensitive skin. But the pay is much better than in comparison to other places. I was supposed to be on £8.03 an hour as described on the advert. But, I was getting 550 per month for 16 hours a week (£8.70 a WEEK!). I would recommend working there if you can tolerate customers and can balance this type of work with other things such as college.
Pros
Great pay, discounts on phones, cinemas ect., good staff
Cons
management may not be good, tiring, can throw you in the deep end.
Pointless place to work
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lancashire2 November 2018
Cannot wait to leave. The only thing that matters is how much you suck up to managers then you will get more hours and a permanent contract.
All managers do is stand around and talk, and speak to you as if you’re dirt.
Clearly a false sense of power just because they are a manager.
Non-managerial staff are great well those ones who don’t follow the managers around.
Holidays didn’t update right so I now have 8 weeks in order to take 3.5 weeks holiday.
No full time hours available, supposed to be part time but the hours are so awkward you can’t fit anything else in that day.
Worst decision I ever made.
Rotes never done right, not enough weeks notice.
Avoid!
Pros
Rest of staff are great
Cons
Poor and self entitled managers, no progression, poor rota and scheduled hours.
Appauling company
Customer advisor (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull11 January 2019
They make you very welcome when you first start, but it doesn't take long before the hounding starts! There is nothing they wont have a go at you for! I am talking from 12yrs of experience working there. They dont care about any member of staff. You are just a number. Rotas are awful and frequently changed without them telling you. They watch you on security cameras constantly.
Pros
Wages ok
Cons

Want to know more about B&Q?

Ask a question
Better than working at Amazon.
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes20 October 2018
Management are dismal, with no staff supervision or accountability it's like a playground but with mice and rats under all the shelves.

The last government increase in minimum wage was a pay-cut for staff as they took away some of the location allowance. Next year will be the same.
Pros
You can use the toilets.
Cons
Everything's filthy.
Good temporary work however not much chance of progression.
Replenishment Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Stroud23 August 2018
I enjoy the people I work with and typically the work I do also. However management is not of the highest standard in my opinion. Good pay rate per hour and genuinely a good atmosphere to work in.
Pros
Good colleagues to work with, good rate of pay
Cons
Unpaid lunches, little decision in what hours you work, management can be uncaring and misunderstanding.
Poor company
Customer advisor (Former Employee) –  B&q7 October 2018
Poor job security and they have no respect for years of service. But the holidays period they give is 6 weeks a year which is more then some other companys
Pros
Good holidays
Cons
Poor staffing
Unsure future
Customer Advisor/Sales (Current Employee) –  Bristol26 October 2018
Lots of changes, working hours, pay, working practices. No longer the caring company it was. Wonderful people to work with but increasing management pressure does make it a stressful work environment.
Pros
Good holiday entitlement and B&Q discount.
Cons
Only 1 non working day per year.
CUSTOMER ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Wigan27 October 2018
I started working here on a part-time basis on front-end (tills), the staff are all amazing, very friendly. The managers/supervisors on front-end are fantastic, very accommodating and even when I decided to go back to university, they tried to help me where they could. I can't comment on the department managers because I didn't work on a department. The store managers were not as good, too wrapped up in the business side of things and not attentive enough / didn't look after their staff well-enough.
friendly and with good job security
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth5 January 2019
B&Q is a very busy workplace with high standards of customer care and look after their employees . Staff are friendly and very approachable as are the management.
Pros
free christmas dinner and dance
Cons
emplyee equipment not always of good working order
Hard bullet to bear
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Dunfermline, Fife14 January 2018
Most definitely changes to be made. The colleagues make it worth while. Scheduling and acceptance for surprise life events could be better. There are definitely worse places to work and this job does heave it's benefits but you really have to like helping people.
Pros
A decent level of autonomy
Cons
Difficult to do your job when you aren't left to do your job
Great floor staff
CUSTOMER ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Stevenage14 January 2019
This is the best and worst place I've worked.
The lower level staff all look out for each other really well. But unfortunately the management and supervisors were bullies and completely incapable of their jobs.
A lonely stressful job
Trade point Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Redditch13 September 2018
Working at B&Q is a test of your own mental strength. You will regularly find that you are the only member of staff on hand to deal with customer enquiries, with little to no managerial support.

A typical day of work at B&Q will involve coming into work and then having the various members of staff whom you are supposed to be working with leave and go off towards the back end of the store. This leaves you by yourself to deal with the customers, be that selling on till, dealing with enquiries, taking phone calls, taking customer orders etc. You'll be left to do it all by yourself.

On top of this as you will have access to the stores computer system and the staff on the main tills don't, you get their customers directed at you too, adding more to your already stretched workload. Don't think you can call for help either. There is an intercom system, but don't bother as the most you can expect from management is a phone call with a half hearted suggestion that gets you nowhere.

You will work long hours, mostly until the store closes at 9pm at night. But at that time there are usually no customers as they are all at home, so you can look forward to standing there with your own thoughts as you are not permitted to leave your till and there are no other staff members around to talk too.

Looking at the reviews for both B&Q and Tradepoint on Trustpilot, they are mostly negative with both companies receiving an overall rating of 1 star. A common thread running through the reviews is unmotivated and miserable staff and after having worked there I can see why.
Pros
A 20% discount card and an extra £1 on wages after 6 months.
Cons
Long hours, little to do, no support from colleagues, working until 9pm most days.
Average retail Job. Progression scarce.
Building customer advisor (Current Employee) –  Northamptonshire25 March 2018
Great for younger employees, especially alongside education. Knowledge is gained, although training can be a little inadequate at times, but enough to perform your required duties. Very fast paced, and often a little overwhelming. Depending on which manager, support can either be excellent, or non existent. That being said, Overall my impression of management isn't a bad one. Home life, and work life balance isn't fantastic. Don't expect regular weekends off. This isn't solely just B&Q, but retail as a whole, and that is to be expected on their busiest days, so you need to be aware of what you are signing up for. Overall, it is not a bad place to work at all. Great staff discount, and some of the nicest people you could meet. Would recommend, only if you are looking for work in the retail sector. However, progression is rarely seen. Don't expect to see full time hour contracts, as they are rarely given out. They are earned, but you will have to prove you are worth the money spent on additional hours.
Pros
great staff discount
Cons
Erratic shift patterns, often less than 11 hours between shifts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at B&Q. Our community is ready to answer.