B&Q Employee Reviews

Great wage
Cashier/Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  England14 August 2018
Poor management and no clear vision for the future. This is a stop gap job, no one stays long term.

Management do not help, several customer complaints daily.
Pros
good wage for retail, employees are great
Cons
bad mangement, no vision, high turnover
Fantastic company to work for
Showroom Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kent13 August 2018
Great company to work for. Higher level management team are fantastic.
Fun workplace
Love going to work, brilliant team around me!
Overall brilliant
Customer adviser burton on trent
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire12 August 2018
Shocking place to work don't care about the staff and please never be ill they'll crucify you. Management are incompetent. Lazy staff get looked after the hard workers are just expected to work even harder. And never complain they will make your life a misery.
Cons
Do not apply yoy will regret it
Night Replenishment Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London10 August 2018
As. New starter you would Thi k all the help and support would be given to you wrong...no one actually sits down to help you learn there system. They show things once and expect you to know it after that...when you have issues you would like to discuss they ignore you... Everyone especially management think that they are better than everyone else your loooked down on and they are not as professional as they seem rules apply when it suits them...if you want a job do not come here I made that mistake... I was suppose to be a night reopen manager first month I worked days, then had three days off out on night after spending a while three weeks before that changing my sleep and waking times to suit night's..
Pros
Wages but as i can see they have dropped the wage for the role of night replen supervisor
Cons
Management and training ...
Productive and busy workplace
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Galashiels, Scottish Borders10 August 2018
There is always something extra you have to do, the staff really do make or break the place. Working with customers can be enjoyable especially on a Wednesday where all the older people come in for a chat.
Pros
Variety of shift lengths
Cons
Very Understaffed
Very pressurised
design consultant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex8 August 2018
managers varied so inconsistent an pushing sales. however good a job you did you could not rely on the process not to make mistakes. very unprofessional.
Struggling to adapt to the modern world
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire2 August 2018
This company is one of many struggling to keep up to date with how the modern world of retail is heading. With competition like Amazon wiping sales away meaning a lack of funds and staffing has become a major issue.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
No worklife balance
One of The Worst
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Reading2 August 2018
I was successful in completing an application quiz, and got an invite to an interview. During this interview one of the managers asked if I had any holiday booked, I said yes, at the end of July. The manager confirmed that they will honour my holiday and as soon as I book it on the system they will approve it.

Long story short, they have a problem of laziness when it comes to checking holiday applications, it took them a month to check mine and in the end they rejected it. Needless to say I took it anyway and got told off for this when I returned, rather than admit their own faults and slack.

I applied for the role of customer advisor, the job is riddled with loopholes that give management the power to make any member of staff do any job role in the store. I was lumbered with the building department and they set me up to use the timber cutting service which involves the use of a large mounted saw to cut all kinds of shapes for customers, this did not sit well with me as I applied for customer advisor not a carpenter, otherwise I would have stayed in trade work.

The managers are absolutely useless, passing their work load and pritorties onto other managers and members of staff in order to leave early and have an easier day. So useless are the managers that the bulk of management work is carried out by the customer advisors, giving them a false sense of power and giving them the ability to do what they want.

Working with B&Q requires a few simple things, such as having little to no social life and no self respect or worth, perfect if you want to be a loner. They
  more... do what they want with the rotas and expect everyone to revolve their life around their plans, sometimes putting you on 6 days in a row while others are enjoying weekends off.

On the first few days of the job you will be led into a false sense of security, believing that you will be trained and accompanied throughout your beginning weeks in order to learn the ropes and how to do the job properly, instead you are dropped in the deep end and scolded when you don't understand something you have not yet been taught.

The list of issues I had while working here goes on and on and it isn't unusual, many of my friends and ex collegues have fortunately left B&Q with great relief, working there is a prison sentence and the only goal you will make there is to leave as soon as possible, unless you have a screw lose and wish to remain. If you are unfortunate enough to work there for a long period of time you will be consumed by the place and soon turn into a shell of your former self, giving up all your hopes and dreams of ever leading a satisfying and fulfilling life.
Cons
Long shifts with no set lunch time, little support and minimal training, terrible management, unless you're a manager you're a servant for every other member of staff
Fun place to work
Tadepoint Customer Advisor And warehouse admin (Former Employee) –  Sutton31 July 2018
Serving trade customers ensuring they have the products they need for there day to day work life.
Ensuring that the work enviroment is kept clean and tidy
Pros
Always hadd a good laugh with staff and customers
Lovely collegues and management
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dover31 July 2018
Great place to work, You can learn a lot, not just from the company but from customers too. Full training is given, and bonuses if targets are hit.
If you are not happy in the section/department you are in there are opportunities to move sections.
Plenty of chances to further your career into management.
Pros
High standard work ethics
Cons
Promotes growth and progression within the company
Admin mansger (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton29 July 2018
Have worked with the company for nearly 19 years in total.
Very accommodating and looks after their staff members.
They promote progression and training within each sector tif the company thus creating a positive workforce.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Long process
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Swindon27 July 2018
Was a long process to be able to make it as manager agnecy work so they can lay you off it was a when we need you job wasnt reliable pay was shocking.
29 July 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave this review. We'll make sure your comments are fed back accordingly.

Great place to work but limited opportunities as the retail squeeze bites
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln27 July 2018
Great place to work but limited opportunities as the retail squeeze bites and advancement and training chances lessen. Still a good place to work, especially if you only want a minimal contract commitment.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Lack of staff
29 July 2018

Hi there, I'm glad to hear that overall you're enjoying working with us. Thanks for leaving this review!

A Rapidly Changing Company
Showroom Advisor (Current Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees25 July 2018
Recent restructures have dramatically changed the company. There's a sense that the people in charge are reacting rather than planning ahead, and every change seems to be at the expense of the people on the shop floor.
Pros
Good people, very team oriented.
Cons
Inconsistent leadership and constant change.
26 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We appreciate your comments and will make sure to feed them back!

Customer Advisor
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tamworth, Staffordshire22 July 2018
I collected the trolleys on a weekend and helped any customers find what they needed.

They company as a whole is good, but I had a particular manager that was extremely tough
23 July 2018

Thanks for leaving us this review! We're glad that overall you enjoyed your time with us, we'll take your comments on board.

Standard retail workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham20 July 2018
Was physically challenging and training was more on ethos of company/sustainability than customer service approaches or knowledge depth of products etc. meaning new staff struggled to adjust/assist customers independently
Pros
Consistent breaks
Cons
Lack of training
23 July 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave us this review. We'll have your comments regarding the training structure fed back accordingly, as we do look to have an emphasis on our customer journey to ensure the best possible experience.

Act dumb and u will be ok
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea19 July 2018
managers change departments and know NOTHING about the dept they are running , Dont speak your mind or you are sat in an office and given an official warning 😂😂
All the trade are Clicky and if ur face dont fit LOOK OUT ,
I recently saw an awesome qualified trader who knew everything there is to know about DIY leave because he was promised so many times Supervisor role and in TYPICAL B&Q Fashion “ NOT GOING TO HAPPEN “
Also Managers spend their life in the canteen And really have all the gear No idea , Hours are rubbish and they change daily , The Supervisors seriously treat people like idiots and think they own the place ,
Job security is ok just do as your told ,
Pros
Job is for life if you bite your lip and act dumb
Cons
B&Q mngers, Hours, Supvsrs, Clicky staff, etc etc etc
20 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We want every colleague to have a great
experience working with us and your feedback will be passed to the relevant team.

Fun
Cafe Worker (Former Employee) –  Nottingham19 July 2018
Was a good job, easy to get as I already had experience in a cafe, easy to learn as most things were the same as in previous cafe jobs. I enjoyed it..
20 July 2018

experience working with us.

Excellent company
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 July 2018
Excellent company to work for and support staff development. The workplace culture is great and the most enjoyable part of the job is the wonderful people who work there and the delightful customers
20 July 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to write a review, it’s great to hear you enjoyed your time with us!

fun and fast moving
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halesowen17 July 2018
a typical day at work moves fast and there are lot of different jobs to do, shifts are flexible and it is never boring. Lovely colleagues and well paid
20 July 2018

Thanks for leaving us a great review. We will have this fed back.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at B&Q. Our community is ready to answer.