Here to help: Coronavirus update

B&Q Employee Reviews

United Kingdom2,083 reviews
Found 2,083 reviews matching the search
Featured review
B&Q selected this as a representative review
Fast, furious, but Fun
Without doubt B&Q was the best company I ever worked for. It grew my talent, encouraged my personal development, and at times pushed to my limit and beyond. I loved the couture and met and worked with some wonderful people. It wasn't always plain sailing, every career has its ups and downs, but the ups were fabulous. I worked there almost 20yrs in various management positions, it was a big part of my life, that I never regretted.
27 January 2020
Thanks for your lovely, well balanced and honest review. So good to read that you enjoyed your 20 years with B&Q and experienced so much postivity. We truly wish you all the best for your next adventure!
Wouldn't recommend working there
The work culture is very strict they dont like you having your own thoughts and opinions. Very high turn over of students that dont have a good work ethic.
Friendly colleagues, lazy managers.
managers have no interest in you, other than the till ringing. They say they're busy, but are lazy. They only seem to do anything when the area manager is around.
Pros
Close to home. Made some good friends.
Cons
Poor management skills!
a culture of bullying, intimdation, personal presicution, political.
B&Q is quite possibly the worst retailer I have ever had the misfortune to work for. they are a business that has no Morales at all. have no thought of fairness, or care for the wellbeing of there employees. there expectations are off the scale of impossible to achieve. Once the business has ground you into the dirt, and impacted on your health and wellbeing, they will discard you like the number they treat you as.
Pros
Cons
Health risk, impact on your mental health, destory your confidence.
Helicopter style management
advancement is rubbish unless your face fits, also a very lads environment and rarely any acknowledgement for work done well . The work is easy enough
My time at B&Q gave me the best start in the retail trade, i could have asked for.
All in all it was a great experience, in two years I was promoted twice, I had excellent management and the best training at NVQ level . The working environment was excellent.
Pros
Staff treated very well in store and socially
Cons
Having to stay after hours for price changes.
Very flexible
Job security and good working environment is B&Q strong strength. Learnt customer service, Team work. Availability of tools for your job. No recognition and no review on wage.
B&Q Warehouse Worksop
Spent 13 plus years working there, great place to work.Paid well for the job and there’s plenty of opportunities to develop your skills in another roll etc.Regret leaving and hopefully will return one day
Excellence required for slightly over minimum wage.
Very demanding standards which isn’t reflected in the pay and management loves to throw its weight around. Staff discount card is a big plus but only after 3 months working.
OK Management self orientated
If your face fits then your ok .not allowed to use your own ideas etc .Long hours and no flex in days off silly shift pattern no week the same for a work home life balance..
5 May 2020
Thanks for sharing your feedback and sorry to hear that you're not having the best experience. Please do share your views with your line manager so that they can work together with you to make improvements in your specific store.
you can achieve promotion if you are willing to work hard, interesting job
I enjoyed my time with this company although I did find that the harder you worked the more they expected and the opposite also applied so you were constantly carrying poor performers, overall I had no regrets working for B and Q
5 May 2020
Thanks for your review and for the 4 stars. All the best for your next role.
they dont care about you
most, not all, but most managers only care about the company and couldnt care less about you. They say they are flexible but they are only flexible when it works for them. if you need to reduce your hours for some reason. they would rather fire you.
5 May 2020
Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience in your specific store, all the best for your next role.
Stressful
Worst place to ever work in. Bullying occurs, no support from management, poor work ethics, sometimes they ask way too much of you for what they pay. The company has let me down time and time again although i worked there for 5 years
Pros
no pros
Cons
Rubbish hours, no work life balance, no support, no training, no equipment necessary to do your job
5 May 2020
Thanks for sharing your veiws about your experience in your store, we'll be sure to share these with the store management team so that improvements can be made.
Poorly managed and no scope for progression
Not overall a particularly bad company to work for on a individual store basis, however as a company they are very poorly managed.
There is absolutely zero scope for progression, no recognition of hard working employees and you are taken advantage of daily. Lazy store managers, incompetent advice from regional and a general feeling of being completely worthless will eventually grind your mental and physical well-being to the ground. In light of recent world events, B&Q were very quick to make publicly known that they wished to support and protect their staff, this however was completely false - campaigning in the background to remain open. There is a complete disregard for staff and public safety. They purely seek to capitalise on a global health crisis. Encouraging people to leave their homes and queue in their thousands to purchase non essential items, putting staff at risk. We don't want to be there, we would rather be safe at home.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
No progression, Capitalising on a global health crisis, Management don't care
5 May 2020
Thanks for your review and for sharing your own, personal opinions and experience. Sorry to read that you didn't feel able to take advantage of the many progression routes open to you via apprenticeships and L&D courses, which will be up and running again in the near future. We're not able to share your comments with your specific store or region as you haven't stated a location in your review, but we hope that you do share your feedback with your line manager as they can't make changes or support you if they don't know that you need support. Also, please do discuss your feelings around B&Q's response to Covid-19, as there's plenty of FAQ's and information available on Yammer and our intranet to explain what we're doing to support our colleagues, as a government mandated essential retailer (safe trading, PPE in stores, wellbeing and financial advice, furlough scheme etc.). We hope this helps, please do talk to your colleagues - they are there to support you.
great atmosphere
would do it again great atmosphere would also recommend to others
the staff there were a great help while i worked there got lost a couple times but found my way round eventually after an hour or so
Pros
cheap tea and coffee which was good for me
Cons
long hours but worth it
5 May 2020
Thanks for your comments - we hope you return to us in the future. All the best for your next role.
Good company
Love working for B&Q, there is a family environment that I have not come across in any other retailer. UM treats all of his managers with respect which is rear in this day and age.
5 May 2020
Thanks for the 5 stars and the great review! We'll share these with your Unit Manager.
Peterborough - Customer Service Adviser
Working in B&Q was stressful and management was ridiculous. Management never spoke to customer service advisors, and we were left to our own devices.
The pay was really good, and the shifts weren't too bad, Just be prepared to work a full day Sunday and most of a full day Saturday. Uniform is provided and there are lockers available.

Staff is all ages and we all got on really well.

Training was stupid. I had 2 hours doing online stuff than shadowed a colleague for half an hour before being put on a checkout by myself.

If management was different and I was provided with better training, I would consider working back there,
5 May 2020
Thanks for your review, glad to read that you approved of the pay and shift patterns. Sorry to read that you didn't get the right training. There's a 12 week induction programme that you should have been put on, sounds like you didn't get to experience induction as you should have done. Thanks again, all the best.
It’s a fairly good place to work
Having worked there for 4 years on the building department it’s a stable place to work. However the management can be rude and unpleasant at times if you stick with it you’ll end up being left to do what you need to do without them breathing down your neck
5 May 2020
Thanks for sharing, we'll make sure that your feedback is seen by the relevant management team so that improvements can be made.
fun workplace
It was a good place to work with good colleagues and good managers. High turnover of staff, helpful colleagues. Easy to get to. Offered flexible hours
5 May 2020
Thanks for the 4 stars and the great review! All the best in your next job.
Good employment team working environment
Good place to work , good team , friendly , easy for progress if approaching with correct attitude Good rate of pay , depends of exprence level Long time contract after probation
5 May 2020
Thanks for your review and for the 4 stars! Good to read that you enjoyed your time at B&Q.
B&q
Good but limited most of the time to 20hours per week but they will try and accommodate you. They do try various extra work activities such as bowling etc.