B&Q Employee Reviews

Brilliant place to work but impossible to advance
Customer Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Isle of Wight23 April 2018
I loved working here but there just isn't enough chance to advance. Some people are very complacent too.You find that you're having to do more than you're required to an awful lot of the time.
Pros
Friendly environment.
Cons
Bad management at times. No advancements.
day to day challenges
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset23 April 2018
a good group of guys to work for and plenty to learn. everyday was a new challenge and great to help customers with their home improvement projects. days can seem a bit long at times
fast paced multi task environment
gopher (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester21 April 2018
Been Working here for nearly 22 years & yes before you say ask the question why?i can honestly say i just don't know everyday is different you can have a horrible day with customers & the job, go home kick the cat (joke) & swear you will never go back but the next day the alarm goes off you get up & do it all again,and you have a lovely day & customers are great its not for everyone though its really fast paced & sometimes well most times if you havent worked in retail you really are thrown in at the deep end it really is on the job training you will have a couple of modules to do on the computer but then its on the floor would i recommend working here yes if you have worked in a retail environment if not then it might take a liitle bit of time to adjust
Pros
20% staff discount, great staff camaraderie
Cons
a lot of staff not flexible enough for the shifts which results in poor staff deployment
An excellent place to work if you can fit in
Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh21 April 2018
B&Q head office (SSO) is an excellent place to work. However I didn't really fit in and as a result eventually decided to leave when I realised I was doing more harm than good. You need to be up to speed straight away and must know what to do even if you haven't been shown as you will be held responsible when something goes wrong. There's a big blame culture and certain people in certain departments are desperate to trip you up and humiliate you. The systems often don't work correctly though as a supply chain analyst you need to find a way to resolve this. Nevertheless overall B&Q is a great company to work for, provided that you can adapt to the culture, and I have every confidence that the business will eventually get to where it wants to be.
Pros
Onsite gym, decent canteen, progression opportunities
Cons
Blame culture, amount of reporting, unhelpful teams
Enjoyed my time here
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Warrington20 April 2018
Lovely staff, nice customers.
Unfortunately this branch has now closed but I really enjoyed my time here and the people here however short it may have been.
Pros
Fantastic staff
Cons
Could be quiet
People work for people
Trading Manager (Current Employee) –  UK17 April 2018
B&Qs management is as varied as it's customers. From the competent but morally absent to the incompetant but still human. There is no such thing as a typical day as every day brings new challenges both external and internal. Over the many years I have been with the company I have leaned everything you need to do to be successful in retail. The culture is not as advertised. A front is put on for senior management be it regional managers, HR or directors. The hardest part of the job is being told to work quicker but to slow down and make considered decisions. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the camaraderie and banter. Closely fooled by the genuinely loverly customers that do want to make their home somewhere to be proud of.
Pros
Varied, colleagues are amazing, customers can be
Cons
Long unpaid hours, no work life balance, fake culture
Decent for a retail job.
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  North west London17 April 2018
As far as retail goes this is not bad. In all it's a pretty easy job, especially if you can get yourself to the Trade Point section. I was on the till in the main store at first, to my surprise they don't ask you to stack shelves or clean if there aren't many customers, as they have separate teams who do that at night. I was at a major supermarket chain prior to this job and they always had something they wanted you to to do, and they paid over £1.00 less an hour than B&Q while expecting much more. You do often have to do returns (which can be a lot of items) but after a few months I found out you could pretty much either take forever in an attempt to kill time or just dump the items in random places and nobody would find out. If you work in the Trade Point section ( A small corner of the store only for customer's who have signed up for a trade card) it is even easier, as customers were rare compared to the main store and you were often left to just chit chat with your coworker on shift.

Some of the managers (not all, a few were nice people) were very rude to staff, walking around as if being a manager in B&Q means they have achieved something great, but you get that in any store I suppose. Constant drama between the managers also, even going as far as to try and make each other look bad in front of the store manager to gain favour. Store was also extremely understaffed, at times I would leave the safety of the till to do returns and be mobbed by angry customers who could not find anyone to help them on the shop floor. Many of them asking questions that you'll have no
  more... idea how to answer unless you have DIY experience within the area they need help. For example they'll be unable to find anyone in the hardware section as the store is understaffed, which means they will ask you what the best type of drill for doing a certain job is.

Full time shifts are typically 9 hours, as they make you take a 1 hour unpaid break if you are working 8 hours. So you'll come in at 6 in the morning and leave at 3, or start at 12 and leave at 9. This is a bit of a pain but not too awful. If you have a part time contract they may still ask you to come in for 4/5 days but work only for 5/6 hours. For me this was a bit of an inconvenience but I was able to change this after a few months working there.
Pros
Easy compared to other retail jobs, and decent pay
Cons
Extremely rude/arrogant managers and understaffed
Good work place and people
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon16 April 2018
This job gave me loads of opportunity to inprove and progress, did loads here, phones, Admins and complaints etc. Also did selling and helping others.
Pros
Bonus and commission
Cons
No weekends off
decent job and advantages
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  London13 April 2018
fast paced environment , you are constantly faced with new scenarios and learning new things everyday , useful as you learn alot about DIY and DIY related products
Physical heavy lifting
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford12 April 2018
being young and fit, I was given the heavy lifting to do on the larger items. Spent most of the time in the garden centre with a fork lift driver. the management at the time were great, working night shifts. The pay was not too bad but could be better for the amount of work being done.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Haverhill, Suffolk12 April 2018
It has lots of friendly staff who are always willing to help out, but progression is limited. H. H
Pros
Flexible hours
great place to work
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran, Monmouthshire11 April 2018
great employer ,but not a great work life balance. Would be fantastic if this was addressed.

sometimes companies outgrow their grass root ethos and this can lead to unhappiness in the workplace
if you want to be undermimed then this is the job for you
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Essex9 April 2018
if you want to be treated like dirt, B&Q is the place for you!
management sit in the cafe all day and do not respond to call outs or thieves/threatening behaviour from customers.
no stock gets sent in, as Screwfix are taking a priority.
revolving door staff.
only way to advance to "supervisor" or "manager" is to sit in the cafe and brown nose the store manager, while also throwing your own department staff under a bus.
Pros
we got paid
Cons
"managers"
Disgusting environment
Night Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Belvedere, Greater London9 April 2018
A string of constant bad management decisions from inflexible staff who won't listen to what you have to say, because their way is the only way, no matter how bad it is.

Unhygienic environment, expect to pick up stock and not know whether it's just dirty water, or worse yet, rat urine. Would never work there again.
Pros
Great coworkers, despite the terrible managers.
Cons
Everything else.
Under staffed and awful management
Decorative Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne6 April 2018
I was "trained" wrong for the first month which is a great start.

Some team members are nice but a lot of the staff are really lazy and rude to customers behind their backs.

Management is laughable. First day I had another team member said the management was awful. I probably should have listened.

I got let go for being genuinely ill and unable to work three times in 7 months.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Management, pay, terrible training, lazy co workers
Would not recommend
Replenishment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haverhill6 April 2018
Working for this company was hard work, mostly down to attitude with the management team. Were not friendly toward other staff but otherwise wanted to get the job done.
Warehouseman (Current Employee) –  Swindon5 April 2018
Goods in and goods out which includes me using the forklift to unload and load the stock from trailers. Overall it's a good place to work for but at the same time have to work in a Health and safety manner.
Pros
Business learning
Cons
Manual picking
Official response from B&Q
6 April 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review, we're glad that you enjoyed your time with us.

Shortage of team members.
Work on replen nights getting stock out. (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire1 April 2018
Great place to work , very good management and team members.prospects are good for all team members.I love this job , and allways give it 100 % of my time at work.A few more hours would be nice , but are often limited . Decent wages and holiday entitlement. It's the kind of job you feel in a relaxed atmosphere, allways leaving with a smile on your face . If you are a motovated person then this is the job for you.
Pros
Decent hours and lunch breaks chance of promotion.
Cons
Shortage of staff
Fun and productive workplace with very bad management.
Showroom Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire29 March 2018
The job was enjoyable in a sense that i love selling and everything around it including meeting new people and building new relationships with customers however the only thing that held me back was the management as it was unbelievably unorganised and majority of the 'managers' don't even do there job let alone do it correctly.
Pros
My fellow colleagues were really nice people apart from the management team.
Cons
The managers literally never did there job properly or always blamed someone else.
Shocking
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East Midlands27 March 2018
If you like to be belittled and made to feel useless then why not work at b&q were you are made to do 3 people jobs at once and then they wonder why none of the jobs are done. I was made to feel stupid and unhappy while working here. If you value your personal life and sanity dont work here.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Management are terrible think there above everyone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at B&Q. Our community is ready to answer.