B&Q Employee Reviews

fun place to work for
trading manager (Former Employee) –  West Midlands20 October 2018
Really fun and caring place to work for really enjoyed working at B&Q and would recommend to anybody with in the retail sector, Great progression to start off.
Pros
fun
Enjoyable place to work
Replenishment Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sprucefield19 October 2018
I enjoyed my time with the company, very friendly staff and a pleasure to have had the opportunity to work for the company and would recommend it to anyone who was thinking of applying for a role within the company.
Interesting
Agent (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire19 October 2018
B&Q Homefit used to allow for some progression however is now closing down. Nothing more to say about the company - All staff now being made redundant
A fun place to work.
Replenishment Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Luton18 October 2018
B&Q is generally a fun place to work, like most companies it can have it's ups and it's downs, but being a part of night crew, we all got on perfectly well and became a great team, unfortunately like most good things it had to come to an end, if ever there was an opportunity to come back to B&Q on nights, I would gladly take it.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Some management.
B&Q, company in trouble !
Customer Adviser (Former Employee) –  Devon18 October 2018
When I started at B&Q the company benefits were very good.
Kingfisher (B&Q Owners) have stripped there company down for a takeover that never happened.
Multiple reinventions and CEO changes have left B&Q a broken struggling company.
Very busy but very rewarding
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex18 October 2018
Working at B&Q can be tough at times especially if you're new and are at a larger store. But the staff are mostly friendly and help you along the way. In my experience, my manager was hard on my rota and didn't allow me to change my hours or my rota as I worked 2 8 hour shifts on the weekend and then went to college the next day. But my manger did offer me another place within the store which I declined. Working there can be tiring as you're constantly on the move and dealing with customers and you don't often get to complete tasks given to you. And my uniform especially was uncomfortable as it was black and the stitching rubbed on the inside of my leg which isn't helpful for skin if you have sensitive skin. But the pay is much better than in comparison to other places. I was supposed to be on £8.03 an hour as described on the advert. But, I was getting 550 per month for 16 hours a week (£8.70 a WEEK!). I would recommend working there if you can tolerate customers and can balance this type of work with other things such as college.
Pros
Great pay, discounts on phones, cinemas ect., good staff
Cons
management may not be good, tiring, can throw you in the deep end.
Fun place to work
Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Poole17 October 2018
Great company to work for, had lovely work colleagues, we were like one big family, it’s a shame night shifts are no longer applicable.
Night shift management were there for us whenever we needed them.
I learnt how it’s good to be part of a close knit team.
The hardest part was being made redundant
Pros
Fire trained
Cons
Did away with summer and Christmas bonus
Great first job
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster17 October 2018
I enjoyed my time at b and q. The hours were so flexible and suitable for me at the time while I was studying at college.
There was always overtime available too.
Pros
good wage
Cons
some managers not friendly
productive and enjoyale
Replenishment Assistant (Current Employee) –  Royal Tunbridge Wells13 October 2018
working nights can be hard, but when have good team members to work with it helps , sorting the stock and replenishement of the store getting the store ready of trading the next day
Pros
discount card and benfits
Cons
nights and long shifts
Good workplace
Goods In Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire12 October 2018
B&Q have been good to me over the years, but with the way the company is changing I think it’s time for a change myself and to see what’s out there for a new challenge.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Not enough staff

Want to know more about B&Q?

Ask a question
Great company if you want too progress!
Showroom Trading Manager (Current Employee) –  Penryn, Cornwall11 October 2018
Great company if you wish to progress up the ladder, you can start from to bottom and work your way to the top. Great pension and share scheme, and as a manager you are empowered to make the right choices.
Terrible
Warehouse Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire11 October 2018
Dont work here for an agency! You lose hours. Cant pay bills. The management suck. No matter how desperate you are avoid it at all costs! Wincanton may be better. I worked here when dhl had the contract.
Pros
Cons
1 day working week
not fun
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Essex11 October 2018
Work you to the bone for Peanuts. Not really worth it if you ask me but, they could do more in terms of salary and benefits cause the pay is atrocious considering the amount of work done
Pros
Cons
the whole company
Ok
Till Operator, General Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire9 October 2018
They pay well for your work but will never offer a full time contract as they point want to be to tied down to they're staff in the event of illness and i didn't like that it seems un ethical
Enjoyable with good management
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hedge End9 October 2018
an amazing company to work for provided the management are good.

A day would consist of assisting customers, finding barcodes and running back and forth across the store.

the team are usually amazing and provide great support.

the older generation generally wouldnt mix with younger staff.

it becomes difficult when you cannot find a manager and you need authorisation for a discounted item or an item does not have a barcode and you cannot leave your till.

the team was incredibly
Just a number
CPM (Current Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire9 October 2018
B&Q is changing massivley and has lost the family culture and sense of belonging the delivery service is broken and no one seems to care enough to challenge or change it.
Cons
long hours weekends
Poor company
Customer advisor (Former Employee) –  B&q7 October 2018
Poor job security and they have no respect for years of service. But the holidays period they give is 6 weeks a year which is more then some other companys
Pros
Good holidays
Cons
Poor staffing
busy , work with great people, constantl challenging
replen supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester6 October 2018
my job consisted off breaking down and seggrating stock into various depts , then assigning staff to these depts to get the stock put away, any questions or queries regarding stock or other job related activities went through my self and the other supervisors. i learned a great deal whilst i was here i got a bendi license counterbalance , first aid and fire champion certification . i also attended a keys holders course which then permitted me to be left in charge over night to replen the store.the hardest part was being short staffed then having to deal with a large delivery,but it kept us on our toes ,the best part i have to say was the people i worked with we had a laugh which made those hard nights more managable
Pros
staff facilities good, some really nice people
Cons
long hours, not enough staff
Going down hill
Nightshift Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh6 October 2018
Used to be an excellent place to work. It's the employees that make the job good. It's the directors with their cost cutting that are killing the place. Probably haven't worked in a shop in their life.
Pros
20% staff discount
Fine
Front End Team (Former Employee) –  Holywood, County Down5 October 2018
The company itself was fine to work for, but the store had issues with management. I found a lot of grief from management about being a student and not being fully flexible with my hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at B&Q. Our community is ready to answer.