B&Q Employee Reviews

Found 1,619 reviews matching the search See all 1,678 reviews
Unpleasant working enviroment
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whetstone, London8 December 2018
Managers very unpolite and disrespectful. Useless appraisals were killing employees morale and degrading emotional commitment. Managers provided a hostile environment to the shop floor staff, especially to front-end team.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
long hours on the feet, every week different rota, difficult book holidays.
Great workplace, great people, Lots of redundancies.
Replenishment Staff/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire8 December 2018
My 5 year period with the company has lead to some of the best and most memorable times of my life, its an environment where hard work and dedication brings the rewards. I started with them on an 8 week unpaid work placement and made a career out of it, obtaining my F.L.T license as well as first aid, fire, duty manager training and so on. Management at a store level was fantastic, clear expectations were set and support to achieve these was great. Progression was always encouraged with suitable candidates. I myself was a keyholder, and number two on the replenishment team...………. Before the redundancies. Yet they still take new staff on...………… defies logic.
As I say, I loved my time with the company and don't regret it one bit; but I would wait until the Brexit malarkey has blown over and things settle down economic-wise before applying with them.
Pros
great management at store level, great pay for the sector, good progression system
Cons
Too many redundancies
ok
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Stanmore, Greater London7 December 2018
not a bad place but management not very good to work for only get 45 mins brack not a clean place long houres and dont get paid alot for it people i worked with are ok
A generally good place to work
Replenishment Team Member (Current Employee) –  Canterbury, UK6 December 2018
Working at B & Q offers quite a lot by way of learning and development for people that want to progress in the retail industry. A typical day could see you unloading pallets one minute and mixing paint for a customer the next.
management was the problem
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  redhouse adwick le street4 December 2018
long and stressful day
I learned to drive different trucks
management looked after their selves
too many cultures
working in a freezing warehouse
home
Pros
decent pay
Cons
management
if your face fits your fine
FLT/LACKY (Former Employee) –  DONCASTER3 December 2018
if your in with management you get good jobs or get to do nothing all shift if your not.....you get treat like rubbish jobs spoke to like rubbish...dont go there you get pushed to go faster but when a accident happens because of this YOU get penalised!!!!! JOKE
Pros
Cons
management treat you like scum
Decent at first but then you start to see the truth unfold.
Customer advisor (Current Employee) –  Sutton, Greater London2 December 2018
Started off as a customer advisor and was greeted and welcomed nicely and felt very happy to begin working. Was told I'd be shadowing a co worker and he will be training me. It was all good for the first two days and then after that I was thrown on the shop floor for around 8 hours a day by myself not knowing where anything is or anything about my department. I was expected to learn the knowledge of my co workers of (2 years) in 1 week. (Managers own words). Bearing in mind I applied for a completely different department and got thrown on the one I'm on now so it just makes things more difficult. So then this was going on for around a week or so. The Rota was unorganised and there was literally no point in having a personal life because they would switch the rotas around slyly without telling you even if you ask for a certain day off in a week advance. I was then asked to unload around 7 400kg pallets of tiles while my manager walked around scanning barcodes pretending to be doing something and then deligating me constantly just to put me down that extra bit more. So after I was done, I take a two minute breather to gain back stamina and do another quick job only to then have another manager get in my face and basically threaten to get me sacked for no reason whatsoever. So then I have to compose myself since I was so angry with the whole thing and was on the edge of tears and then the manager comes to apologize to then only have pretty much told my co workers that I had been crying which I didn't. The company is out of order and they don't train you and they do not give a single  more... care about your well being or how much work you do for them. Bearing in mind I'm still there now and I'm on the edge of resigning. The only thing keeping me going was my co workers and the respect I have for them. At this point money is not even my concern. I missed my mum's birthday for the sake of my manager not bothering to care and changing my shifts. To anyone who joins just don't trust anybody because it's a dog eat dog world and people only care for themselves in this workplace. It's pretty much a reinactment of Oliver twist in the scene of the boys eating their slops with the managers eating their roast dinners laughing and watching them.  less
Pros
Decent pay but not enough. Good co workers.
Cons
Demoralizing, Emotionally draining, No personal life, Only noticed for what you do wrong, youre only a number to them.
Poor poor management
Showroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midland30 November 2018
Worked there for 4 week management treatment very poor they treated us like children and kept changing the rules they did not follow company procedures either
Pros
Local
Cons
Poor pay and treatment
Productive, Efficient workplace
Customer Aftercare Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bristol, UK29 November 2018
Productive, Efficient workplace. High level of customer service. Chances of progression and puts the customer first. The UK's leading home improvement retailer.
showrooms specialist
Showroom advisor (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset23 November 2018
I worked in showrooms and fairly enjoyed the job as it was full of amazing people all very friendly and easy to work with and always helpful, job was stressful at times at time but every job is like that.
a brilliant workplace.
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chorley22 November 2018
throughout my time here, B+Q have catered for my needs and being supportive throughout. This is a job I have really enjoyed, and i always feel like a well valued member of a team.
Worker's attitude
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Farnborough21 November 2018
As with all things it's down to the individual's attitude towards work that determines how well they'll cope for the long term future. You may not always get out what you think you put in, but the important thing to do is to take negatives onboard but with a pinch of salt. Be honest about what you do and how well you do it, and look at alternatives if you're not happy with your current situation.
Everyone has a choice regarding all matters. So as long as you've got a good group of colleagues around you who can relate to whatever it is you're going through, it can make work a lot easier to come to terms with. Its all about the "give and take" balance, if you can get that right you'll be a lot more positive in general.
Pros
Good group of core workers
Cons
Taken for granted with unreasonable workloads
Customer Advisor in the Replenishment team (Former Employee) –  Birmingham17 November 2018
I enjoyed working at B & Q. I was surrounded by positive people who looked out for each other. Management were great and very accommodating. I enjoyed the flexibility.
Team work, Variety and a different challange everyday
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Handforth16 November 2018
I loved working for b&q, the staff are all welcoming, the customers are brilliant. Always something new to learn.
It does get very busy during the summer months but this made the days go faster and more accomplished of a feeling when jobs are completed.
Enjoyable workforce
customer advisor and forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear15 November 2018
B&Q was an enjoyable place of work. A typical day would be unloading the wagons into the warehouse, stock control and meeting targets. The company was a fair place to work and was able to work around my needs as an employee.
Pros
Good atmosphere to work in
Cons
Removal of shift patterns
Uncoperative
Warehouse Operative and Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Hartcliffe, Bristol13 November 2018
Good job at the end of the day but i was overworked for the pay i was on. Physically very intense work, i enjoyd the work but the management was stressful and unconsiderate.
Pros
Good breaks if u have the time.
Cons
Stressful
Was only temp but great
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough12 November 2018
Was a fun and supportive team, loved the job it's a shame it was closing down. Decent breaks and everyone worked together to give a good working experience
Nightshift/Replenishment Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Poole11 November 2018
For someone who worked as a forklift operator on night shifts it was an good place to work, with good job satisfaction, Jobs would include replenishing heavy stock such as timber, sheet timber, plaster, soil and cement. Bringing down palatised stock to be worked on the shop floor, as well as unloading lorry's with palatised goods. Friendly environment, good management and decent lunchbrakes throughout the night. However the salary was a little low to my satisfactory, and unfortunately our warehouse was one of many that were picked to end the nightshift work due to budget reasons and made myself and many others redundant.
Pros
Supportive friendly atmosphere and a diverse range of jobs to work.
Cons
Low salary.
Great people to work with
B&Q Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rhyl9 November 2018
Fast paced working in the warehouse, tipping lorries and organising paperwork for these lorries. Organising paperwork for home delivery company and making sure stock was ready. Opening shop and doing health and safety walk round the store. Key holder and stock management as well as fire champion. How to do my job to the best of my ability and to support others in the store. I got on well with my manager's and colleagues. All the staff worked well together and supported each other too. The hardest part of my job was having to leave it. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with.
Pros
Enjoyed what I did
Cons
Hated having to leave
amazing to work for !
RETAIL ASSITANT (Former Employee) –  Bridlington9 November 2018
B and Q is my first big company to work for I was very pleased with everything in. my job role as it is a really nice relaxed increment to work ini have made close friendships with the company which I still hold onto today the wage is very good and has a lot of room to progress through the company in a variety of ways.
Pros
friendly chilled and calm environment stress free
Cons
long shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at B&Q. Our community is ready to answer.