B&M Employee Reviews

Found 1,561 reviews matching the search See all 1,607 reviews
Productive and fun workplace.
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winsford15 January 2019
A good place to work. Staff are always friendly. Learnt how to work on the tills, rotate stock. Management are always on hand to help out. The most enjoyable part of the job is working on the till and serving the customers on a daily basis.
Only accept a job here if you can't get anything else
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh14 January 2019
All told, B&M is a pretty abysmal company.

- The floor, till and cash office staff seem to be nothing more than numbers.
- The Company seems to think that it's okay in many cases to provide sub-standard, cheap equipment that is sometimes not fit for purpose, and to expect miracles from this equipment.
- Management can vary wildly but are always reluctant, for some reason, to pull up staff who don't do things they're supposed to, like rotate stock.
- The occasional Manager will roll their sleeves up and get involved; they are few and far between. This is in contrast to the Manager who shows favouritism and encourages cliques, gossip and bullying, which is almost all of them.
- You might be underpaid. It's happened to some of my colleagues more than once.

Once you start, no matter what you do and no matter that you might be the only one on the shop floor, you'll spend a lot of your time walking to the till to either assist a customer, to assist a customer who wants a refund or be asked to 'get a code' for something. Do yourself a favour and remember which number correlates to which aisle; if you're in the middle of something else, you can simply direct the customer instead of taking them there (which, incidentally, is preferred).

Or do yourself an even bigger favour - don't work for B&M.
Pros
The 'banter'; much-deserved 10% discount
Cons
Almost all of it
unprofessional management
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Longton, Staffordshire13 January 2019
If you have a problem, keep it to yourself. Most of the staff are two faced and will grass you up. Management have a favorites group, if you aren’t part of it, you won’t progress further than shop floor. Rotas are changed with no notice. You’re expected to work overtime with no notice. The worst shift is tidying up, there’s always one lazy member of staff and I am expected to do twice the work. You’re expected to change your holidays if a more important member of staff wants the same week. The warehouse is dirty, health and safety is a joke. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve cried on the way home. Most of the staff has depression. No wonder with how management treat you. If you want to be bullied and harassed, the job is perfect for you. If you have self respect, stay away.
Pros
nothing
Cons
lazy staff, bad management
laid back work place
SENIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Brownhills, West Midlands13 January 2019
typical day at work varies can be busy and upbeat or slow and drag but either way working there is a pleasurable experience.
learned to be confident and believe in myself and dip my hands in a variety of things not just my job description.
management are lovely and understanding willing to have a laugh as long as you do your job to the best of your ability.
most enjoyable part of the job is it never being the same thing every day it always varies.
Pros
laid back and flexible shift management
Cons
minimum wage
A fun working place but
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea12 January 2019
B&M is a good company to work for but it isnt what i want to do in life i want to work in Care Work as i dont feel working in retail is rewarding enough. I love looking after people and i find more satisfaction going home knowing that ive helped someone who is dependent and other poeple, Care Work ( Supportive living ) is my dream job.
Awful, disgrace of a company!!!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester12 January 2019
Got taken on for the new store in Ashton, had a 2 day induction was promised the world and told what an amazing company they was... All lies!!! Literally built the new store up from scratch working every hour god sent, none of the old staff from the old store came over to help but finally showed the faces when all the hard work was done and shop was finished. Old supervisors coming over where a disgrace, felt threatened by the new staff so treated everyone like rubbish. All the old staff who hadn't lofted a finger to set the shop up got all the best shifts why the rest of us got what was left. Wages where incorrect from month one, when you complain told it will be in your next wage then month after not only is it not in your wage is down again, don't mind you slugging your guts out but don't want pay you because their over budget and to add insult to injury the week before our 12 week probation was up the sacked us all one by one... Oh except the staff who where related to someone from the old shop. Absolute disgrace of a company. If your desperate for a job and don't mind being treated like rubbish then it's for you. Honestly avoid at all cost, disgusting company, rude supervisors and management in general a shambles.
Pros
None!
Cons
Everything about the company
Poor Executive Management and Culture
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  North West8 January 2019
In all my career I have never experienced such a poor management culture and the Executive Board have absolutely no idea what is happening within their Distribution Centres! Staff leave in droves both Agency and Core staff as well as Managers as they quickly realise that you are a number they are the lucky ones!!
I would avoid this company if you value your sanity and family life as they will grind you down and you receive no support from their HR processes if you feel you have any sort of grievance....please seek work elsewhere or you will regret it.
Pros
Leaving at the end of the shift
Friendly and professional
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belfast6 January 2019
I enjoy working here but I need prospects for potential promotion. My tasks are varied and I am capable of working on my own. I can accept constructive criticism and always get my duties completed. I am honest and reliable
Pros
Near home
Cons
No long term prospects
Worst company I have EVER worked for AVOID!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow3 January 2019
My first day was awful and I just got worse as time went on. Management have a clique with some staff members and if you aren’t in it you get spoke down to and be littled. you don’t even get trained properly just sat at a desk looking over there “rule book”, manager was the most unapproachable person ever & made me feel horrible about myself every shift I worked. I would NOT recommended anyone to work in the store I worked on anyways poorly ran store management let it down. Some of the staff were a laugh but majority of the time it was the total opposite working there so if you want to be underpaid every single month and treated like an imbosele then this could be the job for you.
Pros
home time
Cons
Management, poorly ran, underpaid, hours
Everyone was always rushed, lack of enthusiasm and poor behaviour from certain colleagues
Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire2 January 2019
I partly enjoyed working there, staff were nice and welcoming but deadlines were too close and new comers were rushed to learn. Lack of respect for employers.
Pros
Break times
Cons
Rushed work, items scattered everywhere, poor function
Nice people but boring
TEMPORARY TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria2 January 2019
The shifts are short,usually around 5 hours but restocking the shelves and being on the till is so boring,not necessarily because of this shop but in general.Staff are nice and welcoming but pay isnt good.
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
boring
fun
Replenishment and Recovery Assistant / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Abingdon30 December 2018
typical day is hard and fast I learned good stock replen skills workplace was lively hardest part big pallets best part was banter we shared day in day out
Rubbish management
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Parc tawe Swansea29 December 2018
Wouldn't advise working here. Told it would be a permanent job but a lot of people laid off early on. Only 1 or 2 tills open at a time. Even when store is very very busy
Worst company ever to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashton-in-Makerfield, Greater Manchester21 December 2018
Underpaid every month.
Managers lazy and ignorant
Old staff very lazy got all best hours but never did any work
Once store started failing they sacked all the hard workers as they were last in and all old staff were kept to destroy the shop further.
Health and safety need to visit that warehouse it’s a death trap.
Wouldn’t go back there ever.
Poor culture
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 December 2018
B&M has the potential to be great however, it falls down on many levels .

Retention and looking after its people. It talks a great game the reality quite different. Senior management have poor behaviours and expect everyone to follow one line when they do not .

Package is poor , benefits are poor , pay is poor .

Expect to work long hours , zero thanks and expectations that are unachievable .

You have been warned . You are just a number and plenty more will follow .

Do yourself a favour . Go and work for a proper company .
Pros
A small amount of autonomy
Cons
Long hours, poor culture, poor benefits, poor pay, poor excuses of senior management .
Former employee
Guard (Former Employee) –  Glasgow,16 December 2018
Glasgow area worst company I have ever worked for don't value there security staff you are just a number you do a good job for them you don't get the thanks for it supervisor the worst I have ever worked for would urge every one to steer clear of this company don't work for the worst company ever don't work for them
Pros
Cons
Bad company
friendly managers
Picker (Former Employee) –  Middlewich, Cheshire16 December 2018
i was working in B&M Middlewich 6 months. There was really friendly managers. We had a lot of benefits, a lot of overtimes. they paid by pickrate. 146
Draining
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire13 December 2018
Bm is a fast passed business which I loved, I loved the people who work there, they are very loving and are like my second family. However management is awful, don’t know how to treat staff and only care about turning a profit on previous years.
Descrimated on First Day of Work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Runcorn, Cheshire6 December 2018
Worked here for 3 days. Doing 2-10 6-2 via agency

Would not reccomend. Polish Managers are not friendly, Lack of training and Buddies on Picking where unhelpfull due to pressure of Role

told not to return and descrimated by both agency and polish Manager.
Pros
Cons
Long hours management. People bickering on the job
Complete Joke of a Company.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashton-in-Makerfield, Greater Manchester6 December 2018
My time at B&M started off well, decent hours, friendly co-workers, management seemed nice etc. Then week 2 came and my hours were cut down to a mere 8 hours a week despite being told in my interview and induction that although it was a 8 hour contract I was told that it was a standard contract and that I would never be reduced to those hours. The reason I was given was that the store wasn't issued a high enough budget for my usual hours and that this would only be temporary.

6 weeks later I was still only on 8 hours a week and when I'd ask about higher hours I was told to stop asking and was then told that the only reason I was given higher hours for the first 2 weeks was to just break me into the job. During this period I was threatened by management and supervisors on a regular basis that I'd always be monitored by cameras at all times and that if I'm ever caught for a single moment standing still that I would be sacked on the spot, which was the fate of around 5 people to my knowledge in the first month.

On week 4 my first payday arrived, I had worked a total of 56 hours in my first month. and I was shocked to see I had only been paid for 20 hours, with 36 hours missing. Outraged I contacted my manager and I was told that the I.T department exploded. Yes exploded! and that everyone had been underpaid and that my missing wages would be paid next payday in a months time. Turns out they knew about this for 2 weeks prior and didn't bother to mention it to anybody.

Week 8, my final week working at B&M. At the end of my shift I was called to the office and given the
  more... news that due to the store not performing as well as hoped their budget had been cut and that my contract was to be terminated as of that day. I knew it was coming, me and some of my co-workers called the tannoy speakers "the tannoy of doom" anyone that wasn't management that was called to the office was always sacked, so when I heard my name called I knew my time there was done, and I wasn't wrong.

Overall B&M isn't the worst place I've worked at but I have to say I'll never work for the company again. The management needs to learn to be more friendly to the staff and lay off the threats, it doesn;t exactly create a nice working atmosphere . Oh and a side note if you like privacy in a bathroom, this is not the place for you, they have camera's in the toilets pointed straight at the loo, so they can watch you while you go.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, work is very straight forward
Cons
Poor hours, minimum wage, no training, no chance of progression.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at B&M. Our community is ready to answer.