B&M Employee Reviews

Best place I have worked!
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire15 October 2018
Clifton Moor B&M - All management easy to talk to and more like your friends than your boss. This is providing you get on with your work and don't mess about to much. There are some members you wouldn't really want to work with but majority of staff are great. Always good banter throughout the shift, more like a B&M family then colleagues. The only thing letting it down it the contracts althrough they can be flexible, your unlikely to get anymore than 16 hours. A good company if you want to progress aslong as you have the skills and potential! You will also have alot of chance to widen your skills in retail e.g Tills, replen, remerchandising.
Pros
Cons
Minimum Wage/Contracts
unpleasant place to work
Till staff (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex14 October 2018
the shop assistants are lovely to work with but the management on the other hand are a bit of a handful. A positive out of this is their are loads of hours to work.
Ok if your one of the managers favourites
General Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Northgate8 October 2018
When we were offered a job at a brand new store that was due to open and we were all told that we would initially start on a 16 hour contract- and then once the store was open the our working hours would be increased provided we worked hard. In reality, this was a complete lie and mostly all of us were treat like dogs with the exception of a selected few of the managers favorites. There is a phenomenal amount of favouritism shown by managent and the rest of us were treat like dogs.
Management are constantly telling you to work faster, faster, faster (they set a ridicously tight timeframe in which to get the stores ready for opening and this is why they recruit far too many staff at the beginning) and constantly remind us that we are all still on our probationary period and that they can get rid of us at any time. Once the new store is open they start cutting peoples hours.
Also, If your a male over the age of 21 expect to be given all of the heavy, backbreaking lifting and carrying work. Another disgrace was the fact that staff have no access to drinking water near the shop floor and have to climb 2 flights of stairs upto the canteen if we wanted a drink. (Not very nice during the summer considering the airconditioning was always on the blink!)
If your after a job in retail, do yourself a favour and go to a proper store such as asda, tesco, sainsburys etc
Pros
Deputy managers and supervisors are great
worst pkace to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wednesbury7 October 2018
managment were unhelpful and condisending nevert took responcibility for their mistakes and blamed them on who ever they didnt like at any given time. told not allowed to book holiday in november and december only to have managment do it and be allowed all in all made to feel worthless
Pros
discount
Cons
everything else
It's alright
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clevedon, Somerset5 October 2018
The hours aren't fixed and they chop and change all the time, management staff aren't around most of the time and you have to wait forever for the till staff to get the card just to void something off, not many of them have rights - staff are always miserable too.
Underpaid and overworked
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Fareham, Hampshire5 October 2018
Working at B&M was good to begin with; nice staff, easy hours and a fair break system. As time went on, I realised that I was being made to do a lot more than what I was being paid for. I disagree with the fact that me, a 16/17 year old, gets paid a lot less than a 30 year old that doesn't even pull their weight in the company. Older staff seem to have an issue with the younger staff, unless they take a shine to you and decide that they want to take you under their wing. I am not happy with the way that I have been spoken to and treated by particular colleagues of mine, even when they have no authority over me. I have made some good friends at this workplace but this is possibly the only positive I will be taking away from this experience.
Pros
10% Discount
Cons
Treatment of staff
good
Cash Office Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hayes4 October 2018
lovely meeting new people and helping them with problems and giving them great customer service and making it easy for cusitmers to buy cheap items and
Don’t do it.
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield3 October 2018
I started here back in June on a contract that I was told would definitely turn permanent we were just all on probation. As time went on 3 months in and they decided our contract was all of a sudden temporary and got rid of us. We were completely lied to and they knew what they were doing from day one. I wasn’t surprised when they did get rid of us. As for the job itself, I didn’t really like it. Most of the staff were great but management were shocking. No communication between management at all! It wasn’t a lot of hours either and it was minimum wage! You hardly ever got breaks. Most of your shifts were 4 hour ones so you didn’t have a break during that time. I didn’t like the shift times either. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone I wouldn’t want anyone to go through what I’m going though now I’ve lost my job without knowing it was on a temporary contract. The worst part is I ditched off a permanent job for this role. I am more angry than anything, I don’t miss the job at all.
Pros
Chances for overtime. Always something to do.
Cons
Everything else
not good
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow3 October 2018
Awful place to work, unless your a favourite you wont get the hours, management are clueless, wages rubbish, you get spoken to like dirt, no staff moral etc
Pros
hometime
Cons
negitive place to work
good yet terrible
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London1 October 2018
Pros:
flexible hours
good training programmes and opportunities
excellent culture
very welcoming

Cons
inexperienced management
bad pay
limited in store progression
Friendly
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 October 2018
I half enjoyed my time there. The problems there were more to do so with the actual building, like there was no air conditioning, than the staff members.
Staff good company
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Speke, Liverpool1 October 2018
My CV details a typical day. Probably 90% of the time was spent on the telephone dealing with customer complaints which was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was resolving queries from customers and the staff I worked with.
Pros
Part time hours
Cons
Dealing with some rude, bad mannered customersPart time
I had a great team to work with.
Barnstaple General Replenishment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnstaple30 September 2018
The contracted hours were secure and fixed, but overtime was offered and taken on many occasions.
A typical day at work would be to assess the conditions of the warehouse, and determine what needed to be worked from either FMCG or Brown Box. Once we determined what needed working for that particular day, we would either work from cages or pallets and continue working from cages or pallets until a couple of hours before the shift was due to end. A couple of hours before the shift was due to end, we would tidy up the shop floor, the warehouse, and face up; ready for the morning after when the shop was due to open.
I learned how to assist customers with prices, manual handling if the products they were looking to purchase were out of reach, look for products that the customer wanted to purchase either on the shop floor or in the warehouse. I also learnt how to be an active member of a team and solve any problems that we faced regarding how to get stock on the shop floor. The hardest part of the job was the manual handling (especially for heavy or out of reach items), sometimes worked long hours that required a steady pace to be able to keep working, as well as the demand of stock that needed to be moved from the warehouse onto the shop floor. I really enjoyed working with my Replenishment Team, especially during the All-Night Shifts when we would work for 12 hours or more because of the energy we all had when we were able to work together. It was great for Team Morale and being able to look at how much stock we had worked at the end of the shift was most rewarding.
Pros
Being able to listen to music after the shop had shut while working boosted team morale.
Cons
No organisation or communication between other teams or management.
Productive and friendly workplace environment
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Featherstone28 September 2018
B&M stores is a productive and friendly workplace environment. The work is great and my job hours are currently satisfactory. However, I am a person that does not accept that a persons age should dictate their pay, especially for the same job role.
Pros
good hours, friendly staff, productive environment
Cons
low pay
Fast paced business with great people!
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  England26 September 2018
I have worked in B&M for over 10 years... it’s a wonderful place to start your career and the progression prospects are endless.

The store teams do have the autonomy to retail, it’s hard work and no two days are the same, but the people are amazing!
Pros
10% staff discount, pension, childcare vouchers, company car, phone, Laptop
Cons
Long hours, work to do at home
Stress free
Replenishment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Strood, Kent23 September 2018
The money you are paid reflects in the business really. My branch was very relaxed with nice managers. I enjoyed my time there and performed well. My supervisor asked me to stay longer so I felt valued.
Pros
Nice People, Unstressful
Cons
Nmw, You're less important than they are
Terrible
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liskeard22 September 2018
Management was sexist, picking on me because I was male, no chance to advance because it was given to people from other stores. Bad contract with bad pay
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Management, lack of hours, low wage
No free
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Middlewich20 September 2018
I was working in b&m that was i like it
Because we have to picking 200 an hours that easy for us than listen the music enjoy with picking we can’t get tired i leave that job because i live in crewe that job is in middlewich i have no transport to work
I has have drive with my mate
But he’s go back home to holiday but doesn’t come back anymore.
Ok
Warehouse supervisor (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire20 September 2018
Its ok sometimes, the customers are great and its great to meet new people. The wage is basic and you only have two clear holidays off out of the year which is Christmas day and Easter Sunday
Nice and friendly experience
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newtownards, County Down18 September 2018
Do like who I work with if you can't find something your colleagues help you if you don't know how to work the till they assist you and if you make a mistake they just shrug it off and say you're doing a good job for trying to really positive experience. It is 16 hours but overtime is usually available.
Pros
Staff discount, friendly staff, good support by management
Cons
16 hours max and min wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at B&M. Our community is ready to answer.