Avon and Somerset Constabulary

Avon and Somerset Constabulary Employee Reviews

United Kingdom47 reviews
Stressful but rewarding
The job is not for the faint of heart. Taking 999 calls and dealing with a very high workload is demanding and really takes it out of you. But on the occasion when things run smoothly it's very rewarding.
Law enforcement
Busy, shift work, large organisation, often understaffed and under resourced, dealing with a variety of people from all cultures and backgrounds, Uniform provided
Don’t deliver what they promise
Personal experience of poor line managers, atrocious decision making, lack of support, management fail to support staff with illness or suffering from mental health/well being issues, lip service paid to polices, lack of staff and the list could go on. Shocking organisation to work for, especially if in uniform and working frontline. Staff at HQ totally removed from the reality of the real issues of policing.
Ok place to work
Ok place to work but little job progression

Work is the same and gets a bit boring

management is a bit poor at times

Small budget means less training and work gets a bit stale
Not a nice place to work
Very slow and burecratic. People working there have been there many years, very clicky working relationships. Management are terrible managers, and staff are bullied. Couldn't wait to leave. No development in role.
poor employer
Lots of discrimination and glass ceiling if not part of the in crowd.

Will be disciplined for basic mistakes.

Morale is very low.

Expected to work 60 hrs a week on salary.
Challenging and fulfilling role.
There is no typical day doing this job. You have to respond to various incidents often under a great deal of pressure.
You need to think on your feet and stay calm and proportionate in your actions whilst often under a great deal of provocation.

However you will generally work with some of the best, most compassionate and bravest people you will meet in your life.

It will often be difficult work but also at times very rewarding.

You can help people when they at there lowest and also ensure people who need arresting are removed from causing harm to others.

The shift work is tiring so you have to be resilient .

However you will see and do things many people never will. If this seems like a challenge and a motivation this may be for you.
Pros
Great Team Spirit
Cons
Shift work
Policjant
Zakres moich obowiazkow:

Policjant/Dzielnicowy (POLICE COMMUNITY SUPPORT OFFICER) – Avon and Somerset Police (2008 – obecnie)

· tłumaczenie zeznań ofiar i podejrzanych,

· szeroka współpraca z różnymi departamentami Policji w celu pomocy Polakom w Wielkiej Brytanii,

· współpracuję z polskimi przedstawicielami organizacji polonijnych,

· budowanie dobrych relacji miedzy polska mniejszością a lokalnymi mieszkańcami.
Challenging and demanding working enviroment with numerous oppurtunities to develop and grow
Not relevant as I retired over 3 years ago and the Police Service changes very quickly so my experiences and observations are already out of date and irrelevant.
Worst Job
Long shifts no good work life balance bad management unsupervised lazy colleagues beware if your face doest fit as you will suffer! bullying not addressed no support during illness even if it's actually caused by them!
Pros
Cons
Working for an unappreciative organisation bullied and left to suffer
Police Force
Police work, if it is for you will love it, if any doubts, it will not be easy and will grind you down.
I personally loved it an will be sad to leave when I do come to retire.
Great team working environment.
A typical day at work, there isn't one! All I know is that my next call is coming, i don't know whether it will be a call about a car blocking a driveway, or someone threatening to jump off a bridge, to updating crime reports.

Working for the emergency services, in a customer service role has taught me that I can adapt quickly to any situation; such as dealing with extremely abusive members of public, to reassuring someone who has just been attacked. I absolutely love dealing with any situation members of public throw at me.

The management are very supportive, as this is very demanding role, and the managers have targets to think about, but they are very supportive if you need assistance.

The hardest part, is leaving work thinking about some of the horrendous things I had dealt with during the shift, however it is vital not to take the work home with you.

I absolutely enjoy helping people; it doesn't matter how rude they have been to me, the customer is clearly (not always!) upset and angry for a reason, and it gives me great job satisfaction knowing that i've done all i can to help, and solve their issue if I can.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Long commute to work
Interesting work
Learnt a lot in terms of dealing with confrontational situations.
Hardest part of voluntary role was the hatred some people have for the police. Most enjoyable part of job was giving something back to the community.
Pros
Keeping community safe
Cons
Hatred from public
Challenging work environment but could be rewarding.
An increasingly challenging environment to work in due to budget reductions and demand management. A variety of interesting roles to work within. Within front line police officer roles, work pressure is an issue and incidents encountered are often highly stressful.
No shift is the same
Working in the Enquiry Office, you meet and deal with a wide variety of members of the public and have to determine the most appropriate response to achieve the best outcome.
Un buen ambiente.
Trabajo con juveniles que tuvieren detenidos y quien tuvieron que presentarse enfrente del juez.
Siempre un trabajo interesante.
Pros
Trabajaba en equipo con la policia y los juzgados
Cons
Que hubieron tantos casos de jovenes que necesitaban ayuda.
Disappointed with Organisation and let down
Would not recommend working for A&S, treated terrible when i was ill and not supported, Bullies in the organisation that get away with it and a blind eye turned, pressurised and left with an illness for my troubles.
Pros
Working and helping the public
Cons
Long hours, terrible shift patterns, working 3 weekends out of 4 no family life.
Extremely Professional work environment
Hard work but an extremely rewarding place to work. Management were very supportive during my wife's illness and subsequent bereavement. Marvelous team spirit that still remains to this day as I regularly keep in contact with former work colleagues.
Pros
Workplace Camaraderie and extremely professional environment
Cons
Shift work and operating in all weathers.
Protect and Serve the Public
Front Line Response Officer

Learnt so much within my 13 years service.

Worked on the largest deprived council estate in 2003 in western Europe for 7 years.

City centre, Town Centre and Rural policing experience

Hardest part - fighting against the government

Most enjoyable - protecting and serving, team bonding prior to all the cuts obviously
Pros
Providing a service
Cons
Government destroying the police service, changing things when they work
Skilled and enjoyable
I performed many rolls within my job title as a detective constable ranging from murder investigations, surveillance operations to full criminal investigations of criminal offences leading to file preparation and giving evidence at Court
Pros
Job satisfaction for victims of crime
Cons
Can be long hours
making a positive difference in your community
the organisation is going through many changes and if these are completed quickly and without budget constraints we could make a massive difference to reducing crime in our communities.
It is rewarding to make a positive difference in the community and generally my supervisor allows me to develop and create my own working day.

Good pension and holiday package that comes with the job