Avon and Somerset Constabulary Employee Reviews

Disappointed with Organisation and let down
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Bristol16 August 2018
Would not recommend working for A&S, treated terrible when i was ill and not supported, Bullies in the organisation that get away with it and a blind eye turned, pressurised and left with an illness for my troubles.
Pros
Working and helping the public
Cons
Long hours, terrible shift patterns, working 3 weekends out of 4 no family life.
Extremely Professional work environment
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Mendip, Somerset1 August 2018
Hard work but an extremely rewarding place to work. Management were very supportive during my wife's illness and subsequent bereavement. Marvelous team spirit that still remains to this day as I regularly keep in contact with former work colleagues.
Pros
Workplace Camaraderie and extremely professional environment
Cons
Shift work and operating in all weathers.
Protect and Serve the Public
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  North Somerset20 March 2018
Front Line Response Officer

Learnt so much within my 13 years service.

Worked on the largest deprived council estate in 2003 in western Europe for 7 years.

City centre, Town Centre and Rural policing experience

Hardest part - fighting against the government

Most enjoyable - protecting and serving, team bonding prior to all the cuts obviously
Pros
Providing a service
Cons
Government destroying the police service, changing things when they work
Skilled and enjoyable
Detective Constable (Former Employee) –  Bristol3 March 2018
I performed many rolls within my job title as a detective constable ranging from murder investigations, surveillance operations to full criminal investigations of criminal offences leading to file preparation and giving evidence at Court
Pros
Job satisfaction for victims of crime
Cons
Can be long hours
making a positive difference in your community
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  BANES10 July 2017
the organisation is going through many changes and if these are completed quickly and without budget constraints we could make a massive difference to reducing crime in our communities.
It is rewarding to make a positive difference in the community and generally my supervisor allows me to develop and create my own working day.
Good pension and holiday package that comes with the job
Police
Critical Incident manager (Current Employee) –  Somerset29 June 2017
Police service covering Avon and Somerset, providing the best service the funding allows with some of the best people.
The staff are some of the hardest working officers I have had the privilege to work with.
Enjoyable/ progression
Detainee Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Based from Keynsham Custody unit, Bristol19 May 2017
Although I do enjoy my current role as a detention officer/ prisoner transport officer at Avon and Somerset Constabulary, I am not able to progress in the current role. I feel I now need to challenge myself more by being busier and more productive whilst putting skills and knowledge to the test with chance of improvement.
Pros
Good currently salary for hours worked.
Cons
Difficult hours and not always busy with no other roles to do.
Rewarding work, with passionate employees.
Continuous Improvement Officer (Current Employee) –  Bristol6 April 2017
Large organisation that is keen to use progressive data and change management tools to provide an efficient and effective working environment, in order to achieve challenging public sector aims. Open and welcoming environment with good opportunities for progression.
Pros
High level of job satisfaction
Cons
Lower pay than similar roles elsewhere
Detective
Detective Constable (Former Employee) –  Bath and North East Somerset, UK27 March 2017
Supportive and professional management. Great camaraderie through the profession. Target focused but with support to achieve results. Progression encouraged and supported. Successes were highlighted and your participation always openly appreciated
Take time to think
Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol12 March 2017
As with any job I would take time and get the thoughts of people already working in the area you wish to work in. It will prove invaluble in the end for sure
Work
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset7 February 2017
I enjoyed my role because it gives me the opportunity to work within and with the community in order to provide an excellent service.
Pros
Provides good flexible working hours
Cons
Can be a very stressful job a times
demanding but rewarding job
Communications operator (Current Employee) –  Portishead, UK24 January 2017
A typical day would consist of answering up to 200 calls and speaking to members of the public, other agencies and staff.

I learned how to remain professional in stressful situations and to multitask to a high quality.
Pros
rewarding and encourages personal initiative
Cons
relentless workload
Challenging and worthwhile work
Response Sgt (Current Employee) –  Bath, Somerset15 January 2017
Best job in the world. The police service gives you an opportunity to serve, to protect and to push yourself beyond your limits. An organisation that now faces its toughest challenge to deliver policing in a time of even greater austerity.
Pros
Public service
Cons
Public service
great role
Response Officer (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol16 December 2016
ill fill this in later as I don't know what to write. Great job but not so good if you want a normal mon-fri lifestyle. each day is different and the experiences set you up for life
Negative Working Environment
Clerical Officer (Former Employee) –  Bristol21 November 2016
I worked as a clerical officer for 18 months and couldn't wait to get out. The management style is poor at best and the treatment of over worked staff is sometimes laughable. Do not apply if you have a soul as it will be broken.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
The Job, The People
badly managed, seriously understaffed
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Somerset31 October 2016
not a good place to be a police officer. higher ranks seem determined to ignore the severe lack of front line staff, and the associated risks that carries with it for both the officers, and public.
A very diverse organisation with lots of opportunities.
Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Bristol28 October 2016
Dealing with many types of police records, reviewing and carrying out risk assessments to ascertain if records should be retained or deleted.

Staff within the team are passionate about their work and want to ensure the general publics data is managed safely and securely.
Pros
Working in a diverse organisation/opportunities to make a difference.
Cons
Travel to work.
Unpleasant place to work
Clerical Officer (Former Employee) –  Bristol, ENG12 January 2016
Unfortunately one of the worst places I've ever worked. There was an atmosphere of bullying and intimidation by Management. Management on the whole was very poor. Work load was very high and badly managed. The heirarchical nature of the Police Force is very difficult to navigate as an employee with civilian staff often mistreated.
Pros
Good benefits and flexible working hours
Cons
Bullying environment
Local Government
Senior Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Portishead, ENG9 November 2015
A large employer in the area with relatively low staff turnover and good benefits as you'd expect from Public Sector employers.
Interesting, full of surprises
INCIDENT ASSESSOR (Current Employee) –  Portishead, ENG16 October 2015
Interesting work place, where ever day is different from the previous and to the next. There is so much experience to be gathered and expand any knowledge and skill set one person has already. There is so much opportunity for people to move forward with their career. The people that work there are supportive in any way possible.