Avon Fire & Rescue Service

Avon Fire & Rescue Service Employee Reviews

United Kingdom2 reviews
A great place to work with people who really care about serving and reducing risk to the local community. Wonderful staff who support each other through tough times. There have been some cultural challenges but these are being addressed. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that my small contribution makes a difference.
Pros
Flexi time and pension
Cons
There was no such thing as a typical day at work - I might arrive to a quiet shift of false alarms and training, or a city-centre fire with fifteen appliances in attendance, my role was to answer 999 calls and co-ordinate a suitable response. I had to learn multiple directional protocols, use of radio equipment, management of incidents and resources, to elicit vital information and apply it appropriately... the role was so incredibly varied it is difficult to describe accurately to anyone who has not worked in a similar environment. It was a very highly-pressured atmosphere at times, but equally at four o'clock in the morning, mid-week, with nothing much going on, I'd have been sat in the control room with a group of people who had become almost as close as family, drinking coffee and testing each other on officer call-signs.
Pros
Variety and high adrenaline work, good pay, life-friendly rota system
Cons
Second-guessing myself on any call that could have gone better - but that's just part of the job