Autotech Recruit Employee Reviews

A good career move
Tester/tech (Current Employee) –  South london/surrey24 April 2019
Been with autotech for just over a year now, it was the best career move I ever made, dealing with the crew at Autotech is really easy. If there's ever a problem(not often), there's always someone just a phone call away to help.
Pros
Nice rate of pay
Cons
A bit of travelling
Best work so far
Technician / MOT tester (Current Employee) –  Kent11 April 2019
Can't call it a job - as a contractor I feel the team at Autotech have been there to support me and find me the best placements over the last couple of years. I left an averagely well paid management position at a national chain to join Autotech on a part-time basis while growing my own mobile repair business. My health has improved due to the comparative lack of stress. Yes, there is some admin to be done, take some the whole of 10mins a week (umbrella not LTD), and yes, they do take a cut... But I feel it's only fair. This is not for you if you're the average technician - keep your full time job; leave the temp cover to us. We're used to turning up at different places each week (sometimes each day), after over an hour driving (sometime 3h or even more), trying to avoid the usual traffic, along routes sometimes we've never driven. Not knowing what the workload will be. How the workshop is run. If we'll have to waste an hour of our day on lunch, instead of doing what we're there for - work and get paid.
Like all companies, depends who you deal with, but we are mostly that special cut above the rest - granted we can never be more specialist than the guy that has 30 years on that specific brand, but we'll turn up with eyes wide open, and relieve the work load of the tired teams, even if by just doing some of the basic grunt work - MOTs, services, brakes.
Pros
Flexibility, pay rate
Cons
Not 100% guaranteed
Great Company to work for
Contract vehicle tech (Current Employee) –  Barnwell, Northamptonshire10 April 2019
I'm really enjoying my time at Autotech Recruit as a contract mot tester/ technician. They treated and paid me well and I was barely ever out of work. They're a great team!
11 April 2019

We're pleased to hear it! Thank you for the great review. We try really hard on our Customer Care and it pays off when we have happy contractors like yourself!

It's not work it's a lifestyle.
Tech/Tester (Current Employee) –  North East14 February 2019
I have been an Autotech tech/tester for over 4 years now and my only regret is why didn't i do it sooner. You can decide to work as much as you want or as little as you can. I have been to numerous garages all over the UK met so many people and still keep in touch with them. The financial benefits are fantastic and paid on the dot every week. I was able to change my job path whilst working for Autotech giving me a steady income whilst forging a path in an uncertain environment. There are no assurances of work but i have never been so busy. I really can't see any downsides so get out there and enjoy your working life.
Pros
New experiences
Cons
Staying away from home.
11 April 2019

It is indeed a lifestyle choice and it works for many, and doesn't work for others. Thank you for your 5 star review. The financial benefits are great aren't they- we are very proud to be able to pay our contractors way above the standard hourly rate for technicians and MOT testers.
Thanks again and I wish you continued happiness at Autotech!
Admin Faye

Opportunity to make extra £ doing what your used to in different places
Mechanic Mot tester (Current Employee) –  South West21 January 2019
Ok, get to meet new people, work in new places, ultimately doing the same thing just in a changing environment, pay is fair for the inconvenience of travelling miles out of your way but the work is never guaranteed. Management seems at times incompetent but are always friendly enough unless you turn down a contract for them, then don’t expect to hear from them for a while. They also give very short notice so don’t ever plan to far ahead. I don’t get the feeling they care about contractors as only ever concerned with how the employer rated you, never ask you how the site was even when places you have to go to are at times total chaos. Expect deductions on pay aswel as tax.
Overall if you want to earn a little more money in the week at the cost of more travelling give it a go, if you don’t, don’t bother.
Pros
Better pay per hour than most independent or franchised garages, claim expenses, meet new people
Cons
Travel, not guaranteed work, fees on pay, don’t trust agency is doing the best they can for you
11 April 2019

Thank you for your honest review. We welcome all comments as contracting is for everyone. We want people to understand how it works in reality rather than what they read on our website, so reviews are an important part of what we do. We will always try our hardest to keep people happy and get you on board and will always be truthful upfront- its not for everyone!
We cannot book everyone in for longer term work and that's the nature of the business. Our contractors must be prepared to trust us that we will book them in, no matter how last minute it is. That is the nature of contracting but also enables you to have the flexibility.
Pay deductions are inevitable, but we can talk about that upfront and we always advise our contractors to open their own limited business to enable them to take home 80-90% of their wage.
Admin Faye.

Autotech is a foward thinking company. Very Professional and Friendly
Controller/Heavy + Light Vehicle Tech/ Mot tester (Current Employee) –  North West18 June 2018
Having been contracting for Autotech for over 2 years now. Its been a good experiance.

You get so much more appreciated than working permanently and that motivates me to even better.

Work life balance is controllable and most important thing is i can spend time with my family more and not miss my child growing up.

Dont get me wrong it does have cons but because due to my circumstances the pros out way the cons.

I would recommend if you was going to commit to contracting do it on a limited basis as using a umbrella company has a lot of outgoings from your earnings.
Also it will impove your chances of getting work if you an active mot tester as some clients request this.

I would say its not for everyone as its not like a routine job. You will have to fast track yourself in learning new protocols as not every client do things the same and you will have to get used to unfamiliar sutrounding.

It can also be very high pressure as you been contracting to cover staffing shortages and large volume work loads.

Take that with long hours due to travelling and unfortunately somtimes traffic jams.

On the plus side you get to meet some intreasting people and you can develope your own skills futher.
Everytime i go into a new assingnment i got a fresh head and a postive attude as you see the best in people.
Just like you starting a new job.

Is also very rewarding when a prevous clients request you to come back to help them out as you go in knowing how they work and get to catch up with them.

I find Autotech are very great in what they do they will
  more... always try there best to suit your needs if possible.

A big thank you to all the team at Autotech.
Pros
Meeting new people. Enhancing your own abiltes .Work life balance
Cons
Zero hours. Travelling during the long winter nights and getting stuck in traffic.
11 April 2019

Thank you for your fabulous review. This is the exact things we need potential contractors to read. Truthful and honest.
I wish you continued success at Autotech!
Admin Faye

I'm glad that finish with them
Tester tech (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire25 May 2018
I used to work with them but I'm so glad that finish with them.
Lots of headaches with them , different payments for the same job which 2 people from the agency are doing ,and come out with some big bullish excuse.
Constant lies that they can't send you just as an MOT tester,but for other people they can ?!?!.
They didn't told you that if you are working as a technician you can't claim expenses on the travel,but if you are a tester you can .
I wouldn't recommend it to no one.
They have a standart charge of £1a day for insurance ;). The actual company which you are employed is Epay me which is a rip off and doesn't matter how hard you want to work and make more cash you can't ,but hey this is life :).
Pros
No company politics at the place where they are sending you.
Cons
Not equal pay
11 April 2019

I'm sorry you feel like this. Unfortunately, contracting isn't for everyone and it sounds like it wasn't for you. If you had called us and talked it through, we would have tried to explain all of these points with you. We have over 300 active contractors at any one point, and it seems to work ok for all of them- so I'm sure we could have helped!
Admin Faye

They take a lot of reductions
MOT Tester/Technician (Former Employee) –  Kent and South East17 May 2018
The work is OK in the fact you can be at different places and not have to deal with too much of the politics of the contractor you are working for.

However there are still many negatives, the travel is or can be long, the company you will be going to will overload you with work (as they are paying Autotech Recruit a high hourly rate), lunch breaks are rare.

Also the paper work is unbelievable, both during and after work.

The worse thing though is the amount of pay they take away from you, you will find after an £18 per hour rate you will still take home less than £100 per day, which for the hours you are doing with the travel is very poor. Don't forget you won't always be getting jobs either.

Overall not impressed and gave up with them after about 4 months, will never go back.
Pros
No company politics to deal with the contractor
Cons
Travel, not always regular work and very poor take home pay after their big reductions
21 May 2018

Thank you for your feedback and we apologise for the negative experience you had with us. Unfortunately, all contractors do see deductions via payroll and we advise most of our contractors to go Limited to avoid these completely.
Its a shame you left us before we could work with you to change the situation.
If you ever change your mind and do decide to come back, please give us a call directly so we can talk you all through it properly.

Professional and friendly
Manager (Current Employee) –  Buckinghamshire24 May 2016
Still fairly young and small, but at the same time a very professional, motor trade savvy agency. Offers a great chance to make good money for both internal team and the network of contractors.
Great working atmosphere too and it definitely has a positive impact on the whole team as well as on the service provided for prospective candidates and clients they serve.
19 June 2018

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear that people are having a positive experience with Autotech Recruit. Long may it continue!

Great opportunities
Contract MOT Tester/Technician (Current Employee) –  Everywhere24 May 2016
Staff are excellent - informative and helpful, right through from the initial sign up with the resourcing team to regular contact with my consultant offering me work.They listen to my needs and match the jobs they offer me to suit me. Rates of pay are really good and make it worth while! Contracting offers me a good work/life balance.
Pros
Expenses, high rates of pay, flexibility
19 June 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Rates of pay seems to be the main reason many people come over to Autotech Recruit, so I'm glad to hear it has lived up to your expectations!

good all round work ethics
Floating MOT tester Nationally (Current Employee) –  nationally uk30 December 2014
Followed my passion for car’s, which has allowed me to use my skills and knowledge of becoming a qualified Vehicle Technician with the hands on experience working with a variety of high powered performance cars and later becoming a qualified MOT Tester which I feel has provided a solid base to also develop from.

Working nationally as a MOT tester on either the ATL lane or the standard test 2 man test lane, advising customer on defects if any are found, repair if required, tyre fitting, exhausts, steering component's, assist in the day to day work loads in workshop.
Pros
Expenses paid
Cons
Travel
11 April 2019

Thank you for your review! We are glad you got to follow your passion via Autotech.
Admin Faye

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Autotech Recruit. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3