Autism Initiatives Employee Reviews

Amazing job but not a competitive salary for the role
Regional Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh2 October 2019
I loved my time here and my job the reality is I couldn't afford to stay.

Typically work in the third sector is lower paid than private or commercial.

In Scotland the management were very supportive and really were so passionate on doing the best for the people they support
Joke company
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside27 September 2019
The first house I worked in was a joke no shadow shifts staff where shocking to the point of one of them showing me a video on there phone of them making fun and abusing the service user I was in shock I'd never worked in this field before there was no senior in the house and I never once saw a manager it was like the house that A.I forgot I really felt for the service user the house was a tip aswell
8 October 2019

Thank you for drawing this matter to our attention.

Concerns regarding the people we support are taken very seriously, as are complaints regarding management style. Following your feedback we would like to investigate this matter further.

If you have further information to share please contact HR@autisminitiatives.org directly.

Additional Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Birchwood, Cheshire9 September 2019
Eye opening
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Blackpool7 August 2019
As a parent I think I had the upper hand as I was prepared to be patient with the service users and listen to them and help them better communicate with staff and people they meet in their every day life, trying to keep life as normal as possible
Pros
Fun days out
Cons
Long hours and mentally and physically draining
19 August 2019

Thank you for your comments. Our team in Blackpool does great work and we’re pleased that you have found the work rewarding.

Totally caring and a fun, rewarding workplace..
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire30 July 2019
The training that is provided by the organisation is brilliant, and very thorough, Following on from the training I find that they do listen to you, and any suggestions you have. For staff new to the care sector, or nervous about joining a new company they will give you a mentor to shadow for as long as you feel is necessary. The manager I work under, i'm not saying her name on here but she is amazing, on point and everything is done for a reason with the service users and staff in mind.

I have had two minor issue's whilst working at AI and I feel that they have been resolved quickly and efficiently by management.

To sum up the company cares, and will go above and beyond for both staff and service users.
19 August 2019

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us some feedback. We have great staff teams and it is lovely to hear that you enjoy working in one of our services.

Good atmosphere, fun place to work...
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lancashire18 July 2019
Worked here for quite a bit in the Lancashire area, and i've got to say, it's one of the best support organisations for both staff and clients that I have come across. They understand staff need a work/life balance, and they also care, if you aren't happy about something then your manager or team leader will listen. The company is one of the best I have come across at matching staff with clients, learning what there staff interest's are then matching a client with them (as best as they can) and this seems to work really well. Great support structure, and mileage paid, even between client's which wasn't the case in any other company I had worked for before. They care, about staff and their clients and they are a registered charity. I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking to work in this sector .
Pros
Caring managers, Mileage paid, decent salary, amazing clients, fun staff
Cons
sometimes the hours can be long, but very occasionally.
19 August 2019

Many thanks for taking the time to leave us some feedback. We’re really pleased that you’ve found your role rewarding and that you’ve enjoyed being part of our great team in Lancashire.

Good work staff
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Blackpool14 July 2019
Enjoyed working for the company .
If you showed promise promotion very easy.
Support staff great .
Pros
Lone working
Cons
Hours could be long if people off sick

Many thanks for your feedback
We’re very pleased that you took the time to tell us that you enjoy working for Autism Initiatives

Avoid working here.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Liverpool30 May 2019
Don't work here!!! Culture of protect the management and no chance of any understanding if you feel that you are being treated unfairly. Won't listen to support staff and very much devoid of encouraging any new ideas. Management think they are right all the time and no one will back you up if any issues arise. Try somewhere else and dont waste your time with this lot!!!
Pros
Cons
Alot
19 August 2019

Thank you for your comments, we are always keen to hear from staff and use their feedback to inform positive change in the organisation. If you would like to contact us to discuss this further, please email hr@autisminitiatives.org - we are always happy to listen and also to act where needed.

Terrible company to work for
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Livingston19 April 2019
Autism Initiatives have no loyalty towards their staff and service users alike, the management structure needs completely re evaluated as they have no idea how to run their services.
They have lost a great amount of amazing support workers who would do anything for their service users through lack of supervision, lack of support, long exhausting hours and the inability to manage a rota properly. Their is almost no management presence in their services, lack of communication and new ideas continuously shot down by management.
Pros
The service users
Cons
Management, lack of support, lack of management presence, lack of supervisions, management not caring and only interested in their own needs
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire3 March 2019
Working with service users is rewarding. Hours can be long but people who I support make it worth it.
I was given training which was interesting and the team are really supportive.
Pros
Training
6 March 2019

Many thanks for taking the time to leave us some feedback. We’re really pleased that you’ve found your role rewarding and that you’ve enjoyed being part of our great team in Blackpool.

Supportive
Not saying (Current Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire3 March 2019
Great place too work support is available when you ask for it... from area management to people at head office. Great staff teams and lots of opportunities to progress.
Pros
Great su and staff
Cons
Got to know how to balance work and homelife

Many thanks for your feedback

We’re very pleased that you took the time to tell us that you enjoyed working for Autism Initiatives.

Supportive workplace
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside1 March 2019
The culture at AI is supportive and you are encouraged to develop. You get what you put in and career progression is encouraged and available.

There are long hours involved- but staff team are helpful and fun to work with.
Pros
Knowledgeable staff
Cons
Hours of work
6 March 2019

Thank you for your comments.

Our team in Liverpool does great work and we’re delighted that you have found the work rewarding.

Horrendous company to work for dont do it!
Senior/ support worker (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire21 February 2019
I started working for Ai in 2015 and have left the company recently the only reason i stayed so long is because of the service users!
The company managment is shocking and do not provide staff with any support. Both area managers in blackpool are rude and only think of themself/ making more money. The company are opening too many houses and dont have enough staff to cater meaning services users are getting terrible support and their needs are not being met.
Staff get treated like you are something they have walked in if u dont agree with everything they say.
I know atleast 6 people this year who have walked out due to house management.
Blackpool needs a serious change! Dont work for this company or you will regret it!.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Everything else
Supporting adults with autism
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Livingston10 February 2019
I support individuals in an Outreach service.
I learned more about using PISP's to reduce challenging behaviour.
Management often absent on Fridays.
Pros
Cons
Sporadic formal supervision
Former support staff warrington
Support Worker/Carer (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire1 February 2019
Do not work for this company service users and some staff were lovely but management are horrendous as you have no back up from them and it is a very challenging job
Management lie about things a drain you to work everyday no consistency with staff for service users
Very bad place to work
Keep clear
Pros
Service userd lovely
Cons
Management rubbish
6 March 2019

Thank you for drawing this matter to our attention, we are sorry that you felt unsupported – this is not how we wish anyone who works for us to feel. Complaints are taken very seriously and if you have further information to share please contact HR@autisminitiatives.org directly.

Worker
Staf (Former Employee) –  Liverpool21 January 2019
I worked here for under 1 year an it was the worst year. At first staff appear really friendly however there is no work life balance. Instead of getting more staff they increase workloads. They have no interest in staff or their wellbeing but drive them till they break. Salary doesnt reflect actual hours worked and when challenged you are supposed to be happy to be helping out
Pros
Some support staff
Cons
Long hours. Culture. Treatment
Helps people to learn and develop every day
Senior Support Worker/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside7 January 2019
Supporting Autism Specific on a daily basis was about maintaining personal routines and discussing as a team how best to support an individuals ability to learn more everyday. Documenting weekly monthly consultations to do with support plans, future goals and achievements so as to monitor development. The house keeping, Admin work, finance checks, staff meetings, communication all kept on top of to a time table and staff rota.

I learned how to manage a team to the best of my ability as a senior when management were absent from duties.

Management had monthly managers meetings to communicate to services a language which covered A.I's updated policies and procedures.

The services in A.I are generally a friendly home like warm environment with an up beat attitude from staff. Presenting professional mannerisms at all times.

Challenging behavior was the hardest part of the job, staying professional yet being emotionally understanding when dealing with verbal or physical interventions.

Seeing little subtle developments with the structures the team had put in place by having a step by step method, showing results of success to begin an other task.
Pros
A fullfilment to help both staff and vulnerable adults
Cons
Salary
6 March 2019

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us some feedback.

We have great staff teams in Liverpool and it is lovely to hear that you enjoyed working in one of our services.

Fun workplace
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  North West6 January 2019
Great place to work although sometimes feel undervalued and not appreciated by area manager. Great to see making a difference to the people supported lives.
Pros
Good progression. Great staff team!!
Cons
Long hours, undervalued
Don't Work Here
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Antrim, County Antrim11 December 2018
This is not a good place to work. Employees have zero value and that is made perfectly clear as soon as you question anything. They place untrained staff in situations that are potentially dangerous, the rules and policies only apply when the manager wants them to and there is zero work/life balance.
Managers all look out for each other so despite the whistle blowing spiel that you are shown literally nothing will be done - we went to two separate area managers and the only response we got despite a truly horrifying (to any other company) list of issues was "there is a lack of communication" and that's it. there is no improvement plan, no review and no investigation.
It is an incredibly demoralising place to work and despite what you are told there are no/ very little promotion prospects. Your voice will go unheard to all but your fellow colleagues (those who have yet to gain other employment), who are all trying to make the best of it as they have given up hope of anything getting better.

I want to make it perfectly clear that while I was employed here that there was no abuse etc... to the service users, they were perfectly safe and happy as the issues extended to management and how they treated employees, I am also fully aware that not all managers are like this, just the ones I had experience with.
Pros
free tea/coffee
Cons
You are made to feel insignificant
Support worker
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Liverpool23 October 2018
Never work here ....if your face dont fit you will be slowly but surely removed,also if your opinionated you will not be liked either because from what i have witnessed if your a puppet "yes sir no sir" you will get promoted very quicky. I have worked in this line of work for 25 years and never came across a manager like what i have now, unbelievable!!!!!! Makes you wonder how they get these roles when they blatantly dont have a clue big problem is No PEOPLE SKILLS WHATSOEVER ????????? I believe in respect and treat people the way you would like to be treated. Does not happen here only pro is the service users are lovely and such a shame they loose great staff due to lack of good management. MASSIVE PROBLEM
LOTS OF JOB OPPORTUNITIES OUT THERE !!!WORK FOR A COMPANY WHO VALUE YOU!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Service users are lovely
Cons
Really bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Autism Initiatives. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8