Autism East Midlands Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Best place not to work
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire12 July 2018
The management are only out for themselves, they don't have a clue how to look after the staff even though all units are dangerously short staffed its scary!

Glad i joined union when starting as thats only good thing about this company! As i have definitely needed GMB within the 2 years of being here.

The no job security at all and the wage you are paid is below average for support roles.
Pros
Free hot drinks
Cons
Poor management, don't get paid enough, lack of staff, no job security
Used to be lovely
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sparkenhill Worksop12 January 2018
It is a company now focused on money. They treat their staff unfairly I.e someone being diagnosed with cancer and they got a warning for having an extra day off. They do not care for their staff. They suspend the wrong people. They do not listen to staff who actually work with the people who need support. Another member of staff went to work and had his leg broke by a service user and they had to have several meetings to discuss if he should be paid whilst he was off work.
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
No support if you are injured
A very person centred service
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Heanor, Derbyshire29 November 2017
I have worked at AEM for many years and have worked in various units including residential, supported living, day services and outreach services. The services I have worked in are friendly and supportive to all and offer fantastic opportunities in gaining experience of Autism. The training department is excellent with every staff able to access a wide variety of training in the health and social care field as well as autism specific training. AEM is a very person centred service with a high demand of parents/carers wishing for their son/daughter to attend. AEM is also highly a highly valued service with social workers and other third party professionals within each of the surrounding counties we provide services for. As with all charities and companies within the health and social care sector there are problems due to lack of government funding however AEM provide an excellent service regardless of this and this is mainly down to the dedicated and professional staff team who are "front line" with the service users. In my opinion an excellent place to work and recommended to anyone else either experienced or wishing to learn more about Autism.
Pros
Training, Person Centred, Caring
Poor communication and bad management
Nottinghamshire (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire17 October 2017
Worked here and absolutely loved the job. Unfortunately this was overshadowed by poor management.
From the minute I started there was always talk of staff in management and below, using money intended for this charity and using it for their own personal gain! And this is within the last six months!
All of this seemed to be common knowledge and yet, nobody did anything about it.
Great place to work.
FDSW (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire14 October 2017
This company is brilliant for improving the lives of people with autism. The day centres provide a massive range if activities that cater to everyone's needs and provide them with a massive range of choice.
It's a very rewarding environment to see people enjoying their lives so much.

Full training is given on induction for 2 weeks and then additional training is given when you're on service.

Every company has it's ups and downs and this one has really turned itself around in the years i have been working for them. Management has had a significant change around and bad managers have left the company. Don't let a few bad reviews of bad managers put you off.
Pros
Massive range of shifts available and flexibility to suit you
Cons
None.
Bad management
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire5 September 2017
Very poor communication and bad management. Have had occasions where work has been cancelled has I've arrived to see the service user, or when it's been a two to one the other staff member hasnt had their calender updated and not turned up! I've been expected to Peg feed a service user without adequate training. Never felt able to express concerns about any of the upper and middle management, has they were all overally friendly with each other and felt that any concerns raised would not be kept confidential.
A real shame
Providing an Excellent Service those affected by autism
Residential Manager (Current Employee) –  Nottinghamshire10 July 2017
Autism East Midlands provides Residential, Day Services, Outreach, Education and Childrens Services. The workforce is motivated and strives to ensure that the service users that they support are given the best possible opportunities
Pros
Excellent training and Career Development
Terrible
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  East Midlands14 November 2016
Awful place to work for! Management is an absolute joke and will step over anyone to get what they. Unqualified staff running shifts and administering medication to service users. I did the company a favour by giving my statement as a witness to some terrible things that had happened in the workplace, took time off my new job to travel to their head office to do this and was met by hostility, rudeness and ignorance by a team which included the MD. The manager of the home where i was based made the rules up as he went along, even my union rep told him he was wring, the company still did nothing. Such a shame when some of the people working for AEM actually care about people with Autism and want to help them. And just to top everything off, they refused to pay me the full amount I was owed for my last month of work. Very dodgy company all round!
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.

Want to know more about Autism East Midlands?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Autism East Midlands. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9