Atkins

Atkins Employee Reviews

United Kingdom169 reviews
good place to work
overall a good place to work. good progression. although started to feel like a number after snc purached atkins. If youre in a good team youll do ok.
Bullying culture, male dominated, lack of opportunities to progress as a woman
My manager was a bully. He was great as a technical project manager but should never have been made a people manager. He bullied me and other staff. He also was very backward about women's rights to maternity leave and flexible working etc. Senior management heard about this and left him in role but supposedly improved his skills. He continued to bully his team and people left over time. People are a company's most important asset - I strongly believe they should be supported and encouraged to flourish rather than bullied, undermined, not trusted to get on with their job and supported to develop their role. Since leaving I have taken control of my career, achieved success, and achieved a good work life balance working from home. Unless Atkins have changed I would not recommend them as an employer. They had an initiative to improve things for female employees - good intentions, but they were actually very behind. It felt like a tickbox exercise and when you looked around there were very few female managers which is surprising when women take up the majority of environmental roles. The Environment Agency has much better opportunities for women to progress - many more female managers.
Busy interesting work
Results driven very busy IT project management department delivering medium to large IT in construction projects, with flexible work ethic. Good people both professional and personal.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Regulation
productive and funplace
General document controller, managing the in and out flow of documents that come in for the project, downloading and uploading of document on the EDMS,create and distributing document to my project manager and clients.quality check documents against the transmittal making sure they pass document controll procedure before i accept and workflow documents to my project manager.
Good company
Throughout support from management,
Very good organisation.

On going training opportunities for everyone. Lots of hr help and the opportunity for promotion are great
Had grown to quickly, their main business was not consultancy, but construction management.
This only reflects the Consulting arm of Atkins, which I left because the couldn't generate enough work and the core management team didn't seem to know how to fix this..
Pros
salary
Cons
work life balance, (too much time in hotels)
Professional, caring, committed
I would recommend working for Atkins to anyone that is serious about their career and cares about doing an excellent job with passionate, committed and hardworking colleagues.
Horrible place to work
Horrible office culture and bad management, a lot of people left with mental health issues. No support from the company, no progression, lacks diversity.
Pros
Cons
long hours, bullying culture, no / slow progression/ lacks diversity
busy environment
I did my work experience here to see what it would be like to be an accountant. Much to busy and fast-paced for my liking but the job for you if you love maths and an engaging environment.
Challenging Environment
Massive cost pressures and a huge (downward) shift in culture since their acquisition by SNC-Lavalin. Haemorrhaging staff at senior levels as a consequence, but still a very positive and engaging experience for new graduates. Positive on diversity and in a constrained environment, still trying to do the right thing.
I was only there for work experience but even during my short time there I felt as though I was apart of the team and like I was learning progressively.
Interesting workplace
There was a variety of projects / roles.
It is a big company so you will feel like a small fish in a big pond.

I've had good and bad managers there.

They have offices all over the place, including India.
Good place for a solid grounding in many different professional disciplines
Interesting work with plenty of opportunity to learn on the job. Chaotic approach which is not as agile as it could or should be. Great clients and great projects.
Somewhat productive
The management was not very nice, would bring their mood to work and picked on the staff, moody, rude, talked about staff when they could be bothered to turn up for work themselves.

Some of the immediate staff that I worked with were lovely people though.

If your not a frIend of the management, they don't care about you.
Pros
It was a job!!
Cons
The management
Looks after its people
I enjoyed my time there, though the aerospace consulting market collapsed and so the dept reduced significantly in size with redundancies.

There is a management clique which is hard to break in to.
Productive and fun
It was a nice place to work, plenty of support from manager and colleagues. Had a really good graduate intake, great socials and events. The work was challenging and I had plenty of responsibilities.
Nice place to work
I did a year in industry there and it was generally great! Colleagues are great, friendly and always really willing to help out with training and development on projects. As a consequence of being a consultancy it has periods of great projects and not so fun projects, but that is more luck of the draw! Generally speaking the quality of the work is good and better I hear than some of their competitors in the same space.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
N/a
Good company
Good company. Company has just commissioned a new Computer based interlocking in two locations and a third is happening next year. Has some very skilled people
A great team a good company
I worked in the tunnel ventilation, fire and life safety team, the leadership was outstanding, and the team was close knit and supportive. I would always recommend working in this team, and the company was good too.
Excellent company
Brilliant company to work for, good members of staff. Excellent health and safety on site. Overall a company that goes above and beyond to get the job done safely.
Good learning experience
This was my first job and learned quite a lot but in a large time scale. The period when I joined Atkins (railway) wasn't very stable (number of projects and financial wise) so I had a lot of down time or doing menial jobs for the seniors (scanning and printing).

Times has changed now though and there's plenty of projects now in the railway design business within Atkins.

One thing though remains constant; all the roles up to engineer role are being paid very poorly. Seniors, managers and above are being paid very well though so I would suggest joining Atkins only when you're at that level...then you can even stay there all the way to retirement.
Pros
Good specialised work support / good IT support
Cons
Poor pay for beginner roles