Aster Group

Aster Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom17 reviews
Really enjoyed working with this company, encouraged learning and was a very friendly place to work, the only reason that I left was that the payroll and pensions were relocated to another area which was too far to travel on a daily basis and I was unable to relocate with the job, otherwise I would still be hopefully with the company now
Very up to the minute company offering flexible working and dress down as the norm. Additionally a "take what you need" attitude to holiday entitlement - what's not to love about it.

Sadly a department restructure made me redundant. Looking foranew challenge working from home due to mobility issues.
In the Hampshire Housing team everyone without exception is pulling towards the same goal of providing everyone with a home. It’s awesome.
The culture is very trusting and adult.

You can work the hours you want in the location you want to suit your role and circumstances. Mental health is taken very very seriously. They don’t just pay lip service to it.

I am able to do the very best for my tenants.

The Head of Housing is trying really hard to create a fun, hard working, self managing culture that does the best for our tenants. It’s very refreshing.

I feel like I am making a difference every single day.

I love coming to work and helping provide people with a home.

My team are fantastic. Extremely supportive and friendly.

Digital transformation is happening for the benefit of employees and tenants.

Fantastic employee engagement team.
Work is different each day on repairs never the same and you get a challenge when you get a fault find which then could take a couple of hours or even longer depending on the challenge
And the work is good as always on the go from start to finish each and every day.
My manager was the biggest problem.. she was a menopausal control freak and wouldn't fail to set you up for failure every time. If you fanned her ego you would do okay but otherwise her narcissistic personality and behaviour was completely unbearable. The job was great but not great enough to put up with that level of unprofessional behavior.
innovative and forward thinking, supportive leadership. Good corporate induction day with on-going training and learning opportunities through job shadowing and regular supervisions.
Pros
flexible working and benefits package
Cons
extensive travelling required for some positions
Working here and your experience of it varies wildly depending on management. Some senior management are inept and vindictive. Lower level line managers vary. Claims to be an organisation with staff welfare at its core, but it’s just empty words. Staff encouraged to take laptops on holiday with them. WhatsApp staff groups on personal phones. Very little collaboration between departments.
My experience was ifcinstantly extended fixed term contracts. No job security or appreciation.
Pros
The team was lovely
Cons
This is such a great place to work! From the word go the training was exemplary and so thorough. Management are brilliant, always encouraging and helpful. I never thought I’d do a basic 9-5 Mon-Fri job but it’s been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Every day is varied and I feel like the company is wholly behind you do develop and improve.
Pros
Friendly, positive attitude and atmosphere. Professional development.
Cons
Occasionally stressful but comes with the nature of the job
Terrible management decisions don't make the job easier just more stressful. Vindictive hr department always looking to trip you up at every turn. Said they were aiming to be a three star organisation then changed their mind to be a one star. Equipment provided to do the job not suitable for the task and all to save few pennies.
Cons
The atmosphere was a fun place, and buildings were lovely. My Line manager was very accommodating of my parenting needs and enabled my to work my hours to suit.

Unfortunately senior management are very ruthless at making redundancies and there was an overall feeling of where was the axe next going to fall.
I worked here for 4 years before being made redundant in a finance restructure. Nice modern office, good location, friendly colleagues & managers. In recent years, Aster has moved away from the cosy housing association image and become much more business orientated. The finance department restructure in 2014 was brutal and could have treated people more considerately. A sad way to end what had been a positive experience up to that point. Despite this, I would work there again if the opportunity came up.
Pros
Modern office. Everyone gets on well. Good management.
Cons
Rapid growth & constant restructuring.
I worked at Aster for 7 years on the whole it was a positive experience and gave me a broad understanding of social housing and the repairs service.
Great people to work with but sometimes departments can work against each other

this is a fast changing company and regular restructuring is common place hence the reason i moved on.
Pros
great people good opportunities
Cons
lots of restructures that dont seem to make a difference
A typical day at work in the Contact Centre at Aster is answering phones from tenants ranging across 5 counties. These issues are primarily repairs though occasionally there will be questions regarding tenancy types/issues with neighbours.

I have learned 3 new computer programs that are used within the housing sector quite quickly. I have also learned to how effectively communicate with tenants and contractors over the phone.

The management structure within the Contact Centre is Agents have a Team Leader and they report to the Call Centre and performance Manager who reports to Head of Customer Contact. We have 6 weekly 1-2-1's with our TLs and we fill out a questionnaire prior to this so we can bring things up that we need to. We discuss KPI's and how we feel in the role, as well as things to do with outside of work if necessary.

At the time of writing the culture is changing in the CC to a more corporate atmosphere. It used the to be the not as rigid but, as the CC has grown, the culture has changed.

The hardest part of the job is getting in contact with other departments when there is an angry tenant on the phone and they don't understand that you have done all you can to get in contact with them. Shouty/angry tenants are the hardest part of the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job are the people in the CC. I have made some great friends whilst working here.
Pros
Great team of people
Cons
Constantly changing proceedures
Fantastic and flexible place to work
Friendly colleagues

Strong and clear leadership

Flexible locations

Ethical company with a strong and clear sense of purpose

Cares about its staff and customers

One of the best places Ive ever worked
Pros
Modern offices, flexible working locations
Cons
Aster is a great company to work for, resdidents are all really nice. Good working hours, Nvq available and all training provided. Managers are easy to talk to and will help with any problems you have. Excellent CQC inspection
Working here was at one stage pleasant. My role involved working closely with many agencies and residents to improve quality of community life. In recent years the industry has moved away from having customers at the heart.
A typical day is full on with more work than contracted hours
I learned that Aster had a great can do culture

Good clear direction from managers

Excellent colleagues who all work for each other

Hardest part was the constant change programme

Most enjoyable and rewarding was achieving greta results
Pros
good working environment and support netwoeks