Associated British Ports

Associated British Ports Management reviews

Featured review
Associated British Ports selected this as a representative review
Associate British Ports is a very mature yet progressive company, it is absolutely dedicated to personal safety, promotes a good work/life balance and endeavours being open, honest and fair to all it's employees. A great company to work for
When management say they want to support you, what they really mean is you are on a slippery road to being managed out of the business if you don't improve.
Pros
Wages, time off
Cons
Poor management
Management unprofessional and not interested. The girl who did the HR for the north west was unprofessional and leaked private conversations from employees.
Cons
No management.
Long hours and the new humber contract is terrible dont expect to have anymore than 1 weekend a month home You need to complete 192 hours a month to achieve you basic salary. Management at our department where reasonable and help full but high management that live in port offices are bat s...t crazy and have mo respect for there underlings
This place here in Ipswich is rubbish with poor pay and unsafe conditions with idiots who run and work here. Be careful working at Ipswich port as it's dangerous with the sickos that work for them. The only way to get in at suffolk is through FAL agency which is run by an alcoholic wife and a adulterous husband. That says it all! They will mess you about on the days you are in and days you are not. One min your in the next your not! Very unsafe and dangerous practises go on here with the HSE knowledge. Poor pay and no value for life.
A typical day at work would start at 9:00 and would finish around 18:00 or more. The Project management wasn´t the best. The most enjoyable part of the job was making contact with users match business requirement with SAP solution.
20 planners and still couldn’t plan a days work. Management disconnected from workers. Job is fine, if you are happy to do the same thing week. I hoped this would be my forever job but was so disappointed.
Pros
Pay, benefits, good team
Cons
Management, repetitive, management, management, management
I work on a contract called the humber contract it's the worst thing ever no roter to work on no bonus scheme anymore you only get 2 guaranteed days off a month never know when your working until the day before between 14.30 and 1900 the job isnt bad but could be better and management haven't got a clue especially on the container terminal in hull
Poor terms and conditions. Bad work life balance. New contract laughable. I felt undermined, not valued and is the reason i am leaving. I had enough of not getting anywhere.
I worked for only a few months, but in that short time I noticed how poor the IT management was. At times I felt that no one had a clue of what they were doing, there was no organisation or direction, there was deffinately no formal training or guidence from other employees or managemnt to help you. You were thrown into the deep end and told to get on with it, the atmosphere was tense most of the time and I looked forward to getting out of the building at the end of the day. This is a word of caution regarding this company, it could be a great company however management seems to be very dated and old fashioned in their views and need to diversify. In terms of diversity there were hardly any female employees in their IT teams only one or two. Very male dominated. If you want a permanent position, job security and a company who are more with the times in terms of diversity, look elsewhere.
Worked with some great people and some absolute scum. And, unfortunately, the scum were what tipped it for me. Saw too many great people leave or get sacked, but the scum remained. If they could get rid of the scum, of which management will not, will mean, what could be a great place to work, turns out to be a horrendous experience. Also, due to the lack of management support, you'd be lucky to progress...unless you're one of those that has no problems lying through your teeth. Shame really. However, if you're a contractor then you will probably have better opportunities here in terms of gaining the experience you need and want to charge the company a higher day rate...so yeah, definitely recommend it for you guys. If you want permanent, look elsewhere.
ABP king's Lynn is a great place work, but with no chance of progressing, with a toxic management culture. The staff at ground level are a good bunch of people
Pros
Overtime is often available
Cons
No appreciation
Their reputation does not rise up to the reality. Understaffing, poor out dated cargo management software that crashes often, complicated and lenghty recruitment and purchasing processes, all lead to poor work place quality and no job satisfaction. Poor work/personal life balance. You never know when you are going to be back to work and when you are going to be free.
Pros
Good benefits, optional private pension, private healthcare at reduced rates
Cons
Long 12 hours shift, no fixed shift pattern, you never know when you will be free or at work, no pay for night workers, lots of nights and weekends worked
Management are clueless with no idea what goes on. Pay is terrible for the hours you do with no social life, nothing extra for unsociable hours either. When there is an accident you where involved in but didn't cause they will make it seem as its more your fault then the other party involved. There way of health and safety is giving you toolbox talks to sign, there is nearly one weekly and having to read SSOW every 6 months now as a way of covering themselves in case of an accident and will use it against you if needed which there are 30-40 SSOW and each one has average of 20-30 bulletins in each one, some even have 60-80 bulletins and are expected to remember them all. No pay rises other then yearly inflation rates. Do get yearly bonus which you can never get full amount due to unrealistic targets set every year. No progression anywhere people been there 15 years+ on same money as someone who just passes probation after 6 months. More skills you have the more screwed over you are due to less skilled people getting easy jobs day after day so it pays to be useless in this job pretty much. annualised hours don't get reset so i don't understand how its called annualised hours? never get into plus hours and when you can get plus hours you can sell them back for basic pay when it should be overtime pay as its over your contracted hours. Never expect the company to have your back will bend over backwards for customers but wont do anything for employees. The guys on the ground most of them are really good guys and have a great laugh together and the - more...
Pros
good people on the ground, job is enjoyable at times.
Cons
More then pros i leave it as that
Allowed to work at own speed. good management culture, staff friendly. nice new gleaming offices, great view form top floor. great to see liners come in.
Safe, friendly and professional. Amazing support network within the workplace and fun events and treats to be earned. I really enjoyed myself at ABP. The only problem I had was my work/Life balance and being expected to work long days at events, or attend events to represent the company which were high class and required dressing up well etc. I don't dress up much myself, therefore I had pressure to spend money on expensive outfits I wouldn't normally spend or could afford. I felt my happy outlook in life was not understood by management. There was unnecessary pressure which disappointed me. I tried speaking to HR about the issue, as I didn't want to leave, however they didn't attempt to help and said that's just the way management is. The most enjoyable part of the job was the variation of work involved. There are lots of fantastic opportunities within ABP. I also got treat amazingly on my birthday, it was one of my favourite birthdays I've ever had. There was lady on my team who really helped me grow within my role and supported me a lot. There are some truly amazing and supportive people there. If there wasn't too much pressure, I would have loved to have stayed within the role.
Resigned last year after new management initiated unsociable shift work pattern. Took new position with Southern Water in their clean water supply section as electrical Technician.
I shadowed one of the managers which was really interesting as I learned the importance of the port in facilitating the trade into Cardiff to facilitate the functioning and growth of the city. Brilliant management.
Pros
Lovely place to work in the bay, lovely staff
Cons
Was an unpaid internship
This used to be a really good company to work for until several changes have made it a very stressful and unpleasant. Management does not show respect anymore and have lost sight of what is important.
Average pay for the hours you have to put in, good amount of breaks and colleagues all good to work with. Poor management at times that lack leadership skills
Opportunities for career advancement. Knowledgeable workforce. Varied and interesting day to day. Good management teams throughout the country Diverse geographical spread of ports.