Associated British Ports Employee Reviews

Stevedore, driver/lasher
Stevedore (Current Employee) –  Southampton8 April 2019
Management are clueless with no idea what goes on.

Pay is terrible for the hours you do with no social life, nothing extra for unsociable hours either.

When there is an accident you where involved in but didn't cause they will make it seem as its more your fault then the other party involved.

There way of health and safety is giving you toolbox talks to sign, there is nearly one weekly and having to read SSOW every 6 months now as a way of covering themselves in case of an accident and will use it against you if needed which there are 30-40 SSOW and each one has average of 20-30 bulletins in each one, some even have 60-80 bulletins and are expected to remember them all.

No pay rises other then yearly inflation rates. Do get yearly bonus which you can never get full amount due to unrealistic targets set every year.

No progression anywhere people been there 15 years+ on same money as someone who just passes probation after 6 months.

More skills you have the more screwed over you are due to less skilled people getting easy jobs day after day so it pays to be useless in this job pretty much.

annualised hours don't get reset so i don't understand how its called annualised hours? never get into plus hours and when you can get plus hours you can sell them back for basic pay when it should be overtime pay as its over your contracted hours.

Never expect the company to have your back will bend over backwards for customers but wont do anything for employees.

The guys on the ground most of them are really good guys and have a great laugh together and the
  more... job itself can be rewarding at times also. Only thing keeping me here currently is the people i work with. upper management couldn't arrange a night out in brewery.

ABP only cares about there image and not there employees from the outside is looks like an amazing company to work for with career progression etc but couldn't be further from the truth.

So much more i could go on about but i think you will understand my point.
Pros
good people on the ground, job is enjoyable at times.
Cons
More then pros i leave it as that
good place to work
Management Accountant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire5 March 2019
Allowed to work at own speed. good management culture, staff friendly. nice new gleaming offices, great view form top floor. great to see liners come in.
experience
co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Hams Hall Coleshill3 March 2019
new experience every day in a changeable environment no 2 days the same.Fast paced/slow paced extra volumes of work with very little notice and difference of opinons with day to day running of terminal.Favouritism.
Intense, awarding and fun
Marine Fitter (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire21 January 2019
Maintenance of pilot boats and survey boats and navigation marks on the river Hull.
Learned how to maintain, attend breakdowns on pilot vessels on land and offshore.
Experienced specific training on specialised equipment and learn how to rebuild engines right down to component level and rebuild again.
The hardest part of the job was fault finding, but also the most enjoyable when completed as you feel a sense of achievement that you deserve.
Pros
Wide variety
Cons
Tight spaces
Safe, friendly and professional
Front of House Team Member (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire18 January 2019
Safe, friendly and professional. Amazing support network within the workplace and fun events and treats to be earned. I really enjoyed myself at ABP.

The only problem I had was my work/Life balance and being expected to work long days at events, or attend events to represent the company which were high class and required dressing up well etc. I don't dress up much myself, therefore I had pressure to spend money on expensive outfits I wouldn't normally spend or could afford. I felt my happy outlook in life was not understood by management. There was unnecessary pressure which disappointed me. I tried speaking to HR about the issue, as I didn't want to leave, however they didn't attempt to help and said that's just the way management is.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the variation of work involved. There are lots of fantastic opportunities within ABP. I also got treat amazingly on my birthday, it was one of my favourite birthdays I've ever had. There was lady on my team who really helped me grow within my role and supported me a lot. There are some truly amazing and supportive people there.

If there wasn't too much pressure, I would have loved to have stayed within the role.
Very little demonstration of the company values at this time
Port Manager (Current Employee) –  Garston9 January 2019
A good company that has lost its way. Now behind the other port companies in the UK and its recruitment drive of managers out with the business has led to a lack of understanding of the key fundamentals of the industry. Hopefully it will turn around under the new CEO.
Brilliant place for work experience
Shadowed ABP manager Callum Couper (Former Employee) –  Cardiff17 August 2018
I shadowed one of the managers which was really interesting as I learned the importance of the port in facilitating the trade into Cardiff to facilitate the functioning and growth of the city. Brilliant management.
Pros
Lovely place to work in the bay, lovely staff
Cons
Was an unpaid internship
Good to Bad
Engineering Administrator (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire24 May 2018
This used to be a really good company to work for until several changes have made it a very stressful and unpleasant. Management does not show respect anymore and have lost sight of what is important.
Productive and fun place to work
Traffic Office Operative (Current Employee) –  Coleshill, Warwickshire27 January 2018
A typical day would include the booking in and out of containers, screening delivery drivers and assisting to create train services to various ports around the UK.
Cons
Shift Work
Not this best place to work
Port Operator (Current Employee) –  Newport4 December 2017
Average pay for the hours you have to put in, good amount of breaks and colleagues all good to work with. Poor management at times that lack leadership skills
Challenging and rewarding career
Port Manager (Former Employee) –  North West1 December 2017
Opportunities for career advancement.
Knowledgeable workforce.
Varied and interesting day to day.
Good management teams throughout the country
Diverse geographical spread of ports.
Good company benefits
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria30 October 2017
ABP is a good company to work for in respect of its employer benefits.

ABP have a very good safety culture and the training provided for each individual is good.
Good salary and benefits
Regional Management Accountant - Interim contract (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull26 October 2017
The salary and benefits are excellent, but for such a large office I was surprised that there is nowhere to go for lunch except to eat at your desk. There is a Cooplands van which turns up just before lunch time, so it's possible to buy food if you forget your packed lunch, but then there's nowhere to go to eat your nice Cooplands food except at your desk. People will then expect you to continue answering their queries while you're eating your lunch so you never feel like you've had a break.
Pros
Excellent salary and benefits
Cons
A lack of facilites
unloyal no security do not trust
Maintenance Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Southampton16 September 2017
There is no appreciation of anything you do. appalling management totally disconnected from the actual work and workforce, good team spirit from actual workers but management are totally disjointed. very unsociable hours and they can be changed on a managers whim.
Pros
salary holiday varied work training offered
Cons
poor management, no overtime rate, no appreciation of staff or efforts made.
Never take a contract with them
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire31 August 2017
Never take a contract with ABP, if they tell you that it will be perm at the end. It will not be. I learnt that the hard way,

The current Servicedesk manager is great, really friendly and cool, but a complete pushover, and not an experienced manager.

The work is VERY varied, and there is never a dull day, as a contractor, i get out around the port of southampton almost on a daily basis, doing hardware work, but also take calls etc like a normal SD tech.

There are some extremely condescending members of staff, who seek to find your weak spot and exploit it, much like a virus. They are pure scum, however they are contractors too, so will not be there much longer.

The hardest part of the job, is that you are expected to do a LOT more than any other job. they put a lot on your shoulders, but the responsibility is nice sometimes, just not too much of it.
Pros
Freedom and responsibility
Cons
long hours, little pay, and high pressure
Interesting job but management are clueless and don't care about its staff.
Operative (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire21 July 2017
As above says, along with a good set of lads and decent salary. Although half the workers basically work days whereas others work days, nights and every other weekend for the same pay. The shift pattern is a complete joke and don't know what you're working until the day before which gives you no home life, but management don't care whatsoever. Management have not got a clue and haven't got any previous dock experience so don't know how the jobs works. I'd happily take an pay cut for the right job to leave ABP
Pros
Half decent pay, good set of lads, pension is good and health care
Cons
Long hours, no home life, idiots for managers.
Excellent Job
Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Grimsby22 June 2017
Meeting visitors, dealing with deliveries and queries. Interaction throughout the Humber Ports. Dealing with Insurance claims. Minute taking, setting up spreadsheets for transport users.

Management structure initially was excellent, like all big companies, management structure changed, but this is how companies move forward and progress.

Workplace, friendly and accommodating .

Most enjoyable part was working with people working in an industrial area that were all prepared to get their "hands dirty" to get a job done.
Pros
Professional company, good pay and bonus scheme, pension
Cons
n/a
needs major improvement
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Dover, Kent6 June 2017
Not the best company I have worked for in the past always looking to find new employment management never satisfied with results.company has bad organization from top to bottom needed a good top to bottom clear out.
Pros
Cons
pension
Efficient and Professional workplace
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London29 March 2017
At ABP I was welcomed warmly and very quickly felt part of the business. Even though I was there on a temporary basis for a short period of time, I gained a thoroughly positive impression of the company. I was well taken care of and given plenty to do! I would easily take up the opportunity to work again at ABP!
london
Manager (Former Employee) –  london23 February 2017
Lovely people
Good opportunities
The business is undergoing much change, for the better improvement so have a great years ahead
Good training options .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Associated British Ports. Our community is ready to answer.