Askham Bryan College Employee Reviews

experience depends on class mates
Animal technician (volunteer) (Former Employee) –  York, UK14 June 2017
my experience here is very mixed.
Many of the staff seemed disinterested and did not have enough knowledge or training.
However some lecture were fantastic and so knowledgeable.
With the new build I think the facilitates that were lacking when I went there will be much better now.
My education and facilities did not reflect the cost. I found that it was not to university standards.

Due to the location my only realistic work experience option was on campus.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
over priced, low resources, poor staff, poor job support
staff generally work well together and are supportive of one another
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire8 June 2017
working with students is a rewarding experience especially after they have achieved their work at the end of the year compared to when they first arrive.

skills learnt other than academic are tolerance and patience and being able to be flexible in adversity

immediate line manager very supportive and has good leadership skills
hard part of the job is to get students to focus in the early stages
the best part of the job is to stand back and smile at the students faces when they have completed the course and realised the achievements they have accomplished
Pros
working with a diverse set of people
Cons
travelling
Lovely place to work
Veterinary Nursing Placement Liaison Tutor (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire6 May 2017
I only worked at Askham Bryan College for a year but my time there was enjoyable. I thoroughly enjoyed working in such a beautiful setting and to be around such amazing facilities.
Askham Bryan College
Programme Manager & Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear21 April 2017
My position is very demanding so a typical workday is hectic. I have learned valuable management skills and improved in confidence and interpersonal skills. The management at my campus is excellent. The hardest part of my job is leaving work at work but the response from the students I teach is overwhelmingly positive which makes the job enjoyable even during time of high stress.
Great place for the students, but not for the staff
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire22 February 2017
DONT WORK HERE! It is soul destroying and will make you miserable. Like I say great place for the students but working for the catering department is no good.
Do not listen to their staff.
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Strand, UK19 January 2017
Pressures on staff affect their ability to provide a consistent and quality service to their learners.
Managers choose to ignore staff concerns and often the wrong people overseeing departments are the cause for concern.
Pros
Varied work
Cons
Poor management creates an unhappy culture
Fun workplace
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  York18 May 2016
Brilliant and fun place to work, bar manager is very understanding and flexible. Co workers are easy to get on with.

A typical shift required serving both alcohol and soft drinks, as well as a variety of food items that are on sale at the bar.
Productive and fun working evironment
Volunteer Assistant Technician (Current Employee) –  York, ENG25 November 2015
The working environment is of high quality and the productivity of the lessons has been increased thanks to investment by the college in 3 new workshops, so that each group has it's own section, and disruption is nullified.
Fun work place
Animal Technician (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ENG24 August 2015
i have enjoyed workinf at college through the summer holidays as its given me more experience in working with animals and also given the opportunity to be in charge of the unit whilst others are away.
Pros
being put in charge of the unit
Learning Support Practitioner
Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  York9 July 2015
Very exciting job.

Would be put in different departments daily and get to know pupils and staff and different behavioural and learning difficulties.

I learned how to understand that everyone is different and that everyone will learn and take information in in different ways.

My management was very understand and they were amazing to work with.

My co-workers were absolutely lovely and I really enjoyed our daily conversations.

The hardest part of my job was when a learner would fail or not pass a subject and how upset they would be.

The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing a learner progress through their course and pass.
Pros
Very good pay
Cons
Only temporary
Overall time at Askham Bryan College
Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Student Record/Services27 March 2015
A typical day would be filing, creating posters and answering the phone to students or staff concerned about students.
I learnt how to communicate with my fellow workers and how to give advice to those students that needed it.
The management team their at first were very welcoming but towards the end it was like they got bored of me and I felt like they did not care about the importance of the work experience.
I never got introduced to my co-workers and so didn't want to communicate with them.
The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was looking through the college's archives of past students, as it was my job to file them chronologically.
Pros
Staff were very polite
Cons
Did not get paid
Very good place to work
Payroll / Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  York, ENG5 June 2014
Flexible place to work, large staff base. doing payroll and accounts and also a small amount of personal data base editing I had a large and varied day to day activities
Educational
Student Engineer (Former Employee) –  York, ENG2 August 2013
i learned all the expected aspects of the garage environment and i gained a considerable knowledge concerning fabrication
hands on
college course (Former Employee) –  near york28 March 2013
i learned the basic animal care on how to care and home them i also learned basic maths, english and ITC skills
A challenging work place
Science technician (Former Employee) –  Science and Agriculture18 June 2012
Askham Bryan College is one of the fastest growing land based colleges in the country and is a leader in the feild. No-one who works there comes away with out being challenged and a changed person
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
long hours, lack of communication between departments