ASDA Employee Reviews

nice staff
Checkout Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grimsby30 August 2018
I like to help people and my postion on checkout gave me ample opportunity to make people smile and cheer them on with their day. I learnt to multitask
Pros
suitable hours
Cons
no prospects
Good environment
Grocery Colleague (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire30 August 2018
Overall good environment to work in. Very organised, friendly staff, and good atmosphere. Clear targets and expectations of the day that should be met.
Management are compulsive story tellers
Nightshift Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Scotland30 August 2018
The management from the GSM down to section leaders have a law upon themselves, as an example a personal manger took upon themselves to change a medical certificate to that off their own accord.
Pros
Pension and other employees
asda
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downpatrick29 August 2018
You are very customer focused, which is brillant have to be very friendly as you may be the only person that some customers speak to that day. Your work colleagues can be amazing make the repetitive day/night go in faster. The hardest part of the job is rude customers, also some colleagues can be harsh. The management works well when it wants to, some SL need to realise that they aren't the boss.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad management
Pays the bills...
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  North East29 August 2018
I used to love my job at asda but slowly things changed as new management came in and my personal circumstances changed. management and section leaders dont seem like they are bothered about their staffs welfare. a lot of the time the store is over on wages so to save on costs you are asked a lot to go home early or feeling pressured into leaving early even if you dont want to. always short staffed so your having to do the job of maybe 2 or 3 people for £7 odd an hour.
Pros
Salary, discount card and other discount benefits.
Cons
poor management, always over on hours, short staffed
My worst job
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex26 August 2018
not a very nice place to work. too many hours expected of you, with little pay or reward. wrongly dismiss colleagues. Upper management choose their favorite colleagues.
planned and structured but very quite in the department
Optical Department Manager (Former Employee) –  London24 August 2018
Because of the low prices of Asda it is quite difficult to make money for the company. The days can be very long. found it difficult to cope because of traveling to UK every week.
Pros
Highest salary and benefit
Cons
Far from home
Janitor
Ex janitor (Former Employee) –  Sutton-In-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire24 August 2018
Asda is a horrible place to work the staff are very disrespectful toward cleaning staff and the mangers are the same looking down on you the only time they speak is when they ask for extra cleaning duty THEY ARE SURPOSED TO CLEAN AS YOU GO BUT THEY DO NOT
Work Experience
Retail Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham23 August 2018
It was amazing getting experience in merchandising, stocking, unloading deliveries, stocking up selves, on the tills as well as self checkouts and socialising with the staff.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Overtime
good and bad
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  feltham22 August 2018
working for asda its a mixed feeling environment. some days are good and others are not, it is also very repetitive so would not be ideal for someone who enjoys change.
A difficult place to enjoy work
SECTION LEADER (Current Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness21 August 2018
I currently work as a Night Replenishment Section Leader and work roughly 12 hours every night I am in work. I oversee the replenishment of the store and whenever I am not the duty manager I am replenishing myself in a certain area for example, soft drinks. I start at 9pm and will have a quick handover with the duty manager on the late shift and they will outline what sort of day they have had and what is expected from our night team, however this never happens and we only get given lists of jobs that are completely unrealistic and unreachable due to the number of colleagues we actually have on a nightly basis. I don't think the managers understand what we do throughout the night and they certainly don't appreciate anything we achieve nor the colleagues efforts. I complete roughly 30,00 steps a night over a 12 hour period and yet we are told we are not doing enough and that the shop should look better than it does, however this cannot be helped when they have next to no colleagues in during the day to replenish, hence why the store is constantly missing sales targets and customer feedback isn't great. The place is not enjoyable to work because morale is so low and the colleagues are very negative despite myself and other section leaders trying to be optimistic, it's very depleting. In my opinion the store needs a complete overhaul of staff and they should make online assessments more challenging to ensure the staff are more up to date and committed, this includes managers and section leaders as the current state of the leadership team is appalling.
Ok place to work.
Night colleague (Former Employee) –  Ferring21 August 2018
It was a great place to work, but as the supermarket climate changed. More undoable demands were made upon the colleagues which led to a very high turn over of colleagues
Pros
Nice colleagues, decent night managers
Cons
High up doable demands, very poor personnel and higher management.
Good but challenging
Checkout Operator and Porter (Former Employee) –  Halifax20 August 2018
all round good job and company to work for can sometimes be hard when manager is stern. cusomers can be demanding and awkward to deal with but security handle them professionally and this helps you with your job.
High School
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Morley, West Yorkshire19 August 2018
There's not really much to say about asda call centre in my opinion. It reminds you of high school in some ways. For example you will always have someone that does nothing wrong yet the mangers are constantly warning them. Then you have the ones who can do no wrong. They can come late to work, get kfc on their lunch and be 40 mins late back but no one cares. they can giggle to each other and go on their phones meanwhile the rest of us if were not friends with these people we get treated normally we get punished if were late. we get warned that if we come late back x amount of times from break were gone.

maybe I'm just being cynical but this is how i was made to feel at asda. also if you have anything mentally wrong with you or get down one too many times on shift. They start to ask if your really cut out for asda. even when you say its nothing the customer said it's something a co-worker/ that manger themselves said to you because they didn't take into account your feelings and just said what they wanted.

some of the mangers are really nice and look out for you same with my agency i was with they were very nice about everything as well.
Pros
discount at mcdonalds only the one opposite asda
Cons
High School all over again
Good place to work.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 August 2018
Was a enjoyable place to work. The staff and management where both easy going and frendly. Management go above and beyond to keep staff happy. Really good work environment.
If you need the money
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester16 August 2018
Not a good work environment. Management has become terrible. I loved it there 3 years ago now it's just terrible. Cliquey and lots of people in others business
Good company to work for. Working in checkouts/services can be a lot of fun if you're eager to learn and move around.
Customer Service Desk Colleague/Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  East Midlands16 August 2018
Having worked for 3 different retail companies since leaving school, alongside studying full-time I would definitely recommend Asda as a company to work for.

I work at a large and busy Superstore in the East Midlands and I'm going to give a pretty detailed and honest review.

I applied for an 8 hour Sunday Checkout Operator job in November as a Seasonal Colleague (for the Christmas period) but ended up being offered a permanent contract.

'Mainbank' Checkout Operator role:
For the first few months as a Checkout Operator my role was solely to sit on a till and serve customers who come through for the entire shift. The till systems that Asda use are very old and literally just a keyboard with a tiny two-line screen, but they work fine and once you've learnt how to use it properly then they are quite efficient.
Asda are really big on giving good customer service and they expect 100% effort at all times when it comes to service. Checkout Operators are trained to follow 'Easy, fast and friendly', 'Greet, Help, Thank' and 'Six Ahead' which are Customer Service ways of working. The ways of working are assessed regularly by mystery shoppers and if a colleague fails a mystery shopper audit then the whole store will lose out on the bonus and it usually leads to some kind of disciplinary hearing. Audits can be failed for something as simple as forgetting to give a warm and friendly parting comment to a customer. Asda make no secret of the fact that they are determined to be distinguishable from competitors such as Aldi and Lidl by giving amazing customer service.

Once you
  more... get the hang of mainback checkouts there are opportunities to work on the Self-scan and Hybrid checkouts where all the same policies apply but the till systems are completely different. Working on self-scan/hybrids tends to feel a bit more fast-paced and less boring than being sat at a till, so it's good for colleagues who prefer being a bit more active at work. The downsides are that the systems are pretty terrible and always crashing, customers don't always know how to use them which can get irritating, customers are a lot ruder and very impatient on the tills, sometimes getting angry.

I realised that if you get the basics right and do your job properly and competently you'll be given more opportunities within the department and I was offered training on the Kiosk and Customer Service Desk which I was really happy with.

At my store there is a huge amount of overtime available for me because I can cover any checkout roles so when I'm not at uni I can work up to 70 hours a week. Most weeks when I'm not at uni I do 50+ hours a week.

Working on the Customer Service Desk:
After being trained to work on the Desk I found that I actually really enjoyed it and time was flying by. Working on the Desk is great for anyone who likes to be busy and active at work. You're given a lot of responsibility including the discretion to give up to £50 goodwill to customers on your own volition, a supervisor override key and code, tannoy announcements, returns and exchanges (makes up the bulk of the work), responsibilities with store evacuations, lost children in store, dealing with complaints, visitors and being a general point of contact/reception for colleagues. Store management were very helpful for the first couple of months and I was always paired with an experienced CSD colleague for the first few weeks but eventually you are expected to resolve things without involving management. The best thing about working on the desk for me is the variety and responsibility of work which you don't really get with other jobs in store, but that's not great for someone who just wants to come to work and get paid to do the bare minimum, which a lot of colleagues want.

Pros of Customer Service Desk:
- Variety of work.
- Time flies by.
- Being able to 'wow' customers with goodwill to keep them happy and coming back when we've got it wrong.
- You are trusted by managers and they will normally support your decisions.
- You generally have a good relationship with all colleagues.
- Being friendly (even though it's forced) all day is good for your mood
- When customers are aggressive or generally being out of order you can ask them to leave the store and ban them for life, if they refuse then security/management will back you up.
- Once you've worked on the desk you can work anywhere in services including being a runner, host, nights etc.
- Puts you in good place for promotion to section leader
- You learn a lot about Asda
- Learn to deal with conflict and how to argue but in a corporate way.
- Learning to be firm with people such as when you need to explain that we won't refund something for whatever reason and your decision is final.
- It's really good for improving your confidence, you learn how to talk to all types of people from all walks of life.

Cons of Customer Service Desk:
- Colleagues aren't always helpful and responsive, sometimes ignoring tannoy callouts and calls to the desk to help customers with enquires on their department.
- Colleagues always tell customers to 'go to the customer service desk' if they don't know the answer to something.
- Can't sit down (but you get used to that)
- When the store is short-staffed or busy you might be working on your own and have queues to manage without support.
- Can be extremely stressful when you're busy and customers won't be understanding. You'll sometimes be surrounded by people who all want your help at the same time. Then when (if) it quietens down you have to remember everything that you need to log.
- If a customer is overcharged because a multi-buy deal didn't come off then you have to do the maths which is sometimes really complicated.
- You're expected to keep the desk looking clean and uncluttered which is impossible when you're busy.
- There is a lot of paperwork for different things, and if you forget to log anything you'll be accountable. There is logging for all refunds over £25, voids/aborts over £20, defective/faulty returns logging which takes a few minutes per item and has to be done on the computer, goodwill logs, cash loan logs, lost property etc etc.
- There are a lot of policies and procedures to know and memorise (but they are available on the computer if you forget)
- Colleagues who have worked on the desk for years can be quite patronising and have different ways of working to you which can cause clashes.
- Asda don't have a system for searching stock availability in your own store or any other store, its all by phone which is time-consuming and irritating for you and the customer.
- Customers (and some colleagues) expect you to know absolutely everything about everything. They will expect you to know where exactly where everything is located in the store.
- Customers do come to the desk who are angry and sometimes aggressive/threatening but this is quite rare and there are procedures for this but it is does happen from time-to-time and can ruin your day.
- Some customers will lie and try to scam you, such as trying to return things fraudulently or making false complaints for goodwill.
- Your customer service skills have to be 100%, all the time. Standards for customer service at the customer service desk are obviously a lot lot higher than for anyone else in the whole store.
- You have to deal with rotten food that's returned which is pretty smelly. People will return dirty underwear/clothes and claim that its faulty and you have to handle it with your bare hands.

Other points about CSD:
Pros
Lenient with hours, work as much as you like and choose your overtime (pretty much unlimited), fast-paced, good opportunities on checkouts, great colleagues, most customers are lovely
Cons
At times the management is pretty poor and things aren't always well organised, management lack attention to detail and don't fix obvious problems, things are often untidy which is easily fixed but ignored
Bad place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Erith16 August 2018
They dont care about the drivers,if your face fits ur ok,the do a thing care for kids and peopke are taking the micky out of it and when you complain, they don't care
Pros
Discount
Cons
Asda
fun workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester16 August 2018
it was fun having a work experience at ASDA . i had to start at 9:30 and finish at 4:30. the colleagues there were really nice and friendly and if i wanted any help they would always be there to help. the hardest part of the job was the fast paced working and i really struggled to stay in pace of the work.
Just don't
Colleague (Current Employee) –  Wales16 August 2018
Minimum wage, over stretched everywhere, not enough people with the amount of work. The best part of the job are the other colleagues. They are what customers come back for but this is never recognised.
Pros
Colleague discount
Cons
Poor management, eroding of benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASDA. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K