ASDA Employee Reviews

Hard
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester4 February 2018
It is a very hard place to work at but is easy to maintain.i enjoyed meeting new people but I hated stacking the shelves. Directing customers to what they need was the best because that would mean taking a break from cleaning and tidying the shelves.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Poor Management leads to an easy job made difficult
Customer Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire3 February 2018
The management seems to depend on where you work in the country (after looking at other reviews) but, here, its poor due to a lack of care for both employees and jobs itself. They refuse to consolidate loads resulting in 70-80 totes of ambient that drivers will have to do themselves. The area from where home shopping is picked is about 80 metres away from where the vans are. Not a huge distance but the walkway is uneven and very difficult to navigate by both new and experienced drivers. Runs are often ill planned and result in you doing complete circles several times a day. They will ring you whenever they need someone, which is ALL THE TIME! Incredibly short staffed and have no respect for your life or commitments. There seems to be some kind of rebellion happening by drivers and pickers, as poor treatment has resulted in sticking to contracted hours, no matter if deliveries are finished. Pickers leaving whenever they like or sticking to hours they were given that are now unsuitable to the store (Other drivers have said this has started to happen). This place is slowly imploding on itself. DO NOT WORK IN THIS BRANCH! If there is another store slightly further away from you but has a vacancy go there. Or, better yet, you can get a job at Tesco, Ocado or Waitrose. Asda have also opened a base in Heston that is closing these departments in the surrounding stores. Job security therefore is poor, as we had no idea what was going on and whether the department would close or not (talking to the drivers still there, this is still the case). Not just poor management of day to day but  more... also by the higher brass. I'll repeat, DO NOT WORK FOR THIS BRANCH.  less
Pros
Drivers are welcoming
Cons
everything else
Enjoyable place to work
Till Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset3 February 2018
Only worked as a Christmas temp but throughly enjoyed working there. Easy to work on tills and you meet lots of new people. Very clean and tidy and staff are friendly
Pros
Paid breaks
my review
General Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk2 February 2018
enjoyed my time at asda as learnt many skills and meet many good people.

done this job whilst at college learning for IT.

best job was pushing trollies
Uncomfortable
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Llanelli2 February 2018
I Did not like working here one bit! No training was provided on my first shift therefore was unsure on what I had to do. Sometimes I was even left covering the department myself with no experience. Not one of the managers offered to help or provide any guidance however they enjoyed their time up in the canteen watching the chase or pointless. Once they completed watching the television they would come down and frown upon me for not completing the unattainable tasks. However if they spent a minority of their time training me then I would have succeeded and completed all of my tasks. The only part I enjoyed about working here was a handful of people who I liked, we had lovely chats and got on really well. Finally the hardest part about the job was when the middle aged women would gossip about you to other members of staff. One piece of advice I would give to people who are considering applying for a job at ASDA is to keep your mouth shut.
Hard work
Home Shopping Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Corby2 February 2018
Hark working enviroment and challenging at times,very time comsuming and sallary isnt the best for the job and hours you can put into the job at times of year.
An ok place to work
Shop assistant and cashier (Former Employee) –  Kinmel bay conwy2 February 2018
Always a new day with differnet things happening, always meeting new peopke but then would get your usual customers , enjoyed meeting new people and new challenges
Pros
Discount card after 12 weeks
Cons
Long and hard days
productive when left unsupervised.
sales asssisstant (Former Employee) –  North East2 February 2018
More often than not it felt like the management would interrupt the daily tasks to carry out something superfluous that would then have a knock on effect on the daily work. When allowed to work alone on my department the work went well and everything that needed doing, got done.
Pros
friendly work force
Cons
often being interrupted without clear explanations of objectives.
Not the Best Company to Work for!
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire2 February 2018
The management is very poor and confrontational. They did let me have two weeks off unpaid study leave when I had exams that was good of them. The biggest problem I had with Asda is that I was contracted to work 2-10 on a Saturday and management always expected me to work overtime so I would usually do 40 hours a week but they would never give me a bigger contract than 8 hours a week so I couldn't have proper holidays because I would lose a lot of money.
Pros
You're more than a number.
Cons
Poor Management, expect you to do overtime consistently but never give you a fulltime contract!
Generally Okay
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire1 February 2018
The job itself was okay however the hours are short so the money is not great. And the hours I had were all evenings as all the day shift were taken. You get to go home when you have finished your route and unloading so you can either be early or late. So don't be set to finish at the time schedule.
Pros
You get to finish when you finish
Cons
If you are delayed you have to finish your route so you are home late
great work
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire1 February 2018
great working place but was not for me as it was just cleaning
learned how to clean the bakery
meeting new people
great hours
helping people with there task
Pros
canteen
Cons
transport
Enjoyed my time here
ASDA WAL-MART COLLEAGUE (Former Employee) –  WAL-MART SUPER CENTRE ASDA MILTON KEYNES1 February 2018
Great places to work training given on aspects of jobs you do.
Salary could be better
Management need more training on how to deal with colleagues
Brilliant job culture
Pros
Salary needs to higher
Cons
Not enough colleagues to do certain jobs
Bad Management,
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kettering31 January 2018
I was working for ASDA for 7 years.
It does not matter how long you have been working for them
Asda pays minimum wages £7.50 an hour.
No motivation, no benefits apart from Once a year bonus which is very small. Then Asda kick staff out just before Bonus date to save money.
Every theft, all wastage are taken OUT of our Bonus.
Asda management made mistakes about my break entitlement so I got underpaid for 6 months !!!
Very strict system which takes OUT of your payment if you clock in 1 minute late but Asda does not pay if you finish your work later that contracted sift.
VERY COLD in store, MUSIC is broken most of the time, NO WINDOWS looks more like a PRISON really...
NO one is happy in Asda apart from Management who earns decent salary and carry ZERO responsibility for their mistakes !!
Ordinary workers are just numbers, if you are on long sick note...Asda will make sure they will get rid of you so that Asda do not pay you any MONEY for sickness.
Company strategy is too reduce the amount of employees and make the remain staff work twice as much for MINIMUM wage.
NOT RECOMMENDED.
Pros
Pay bills
Cons
Cold invironment, bad management, very strick rules
Great Place to work!
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southport31 January 2018
Maybe not the best pay and of late they've gotten pretty tight on giving out of a decent contract. Aside from this i thoroughly enjoyed working here, felt valued and enjoyed many years of employment.

If the wages and contract's had been better i probably would have tried to make a career in retail.
Pros
Discount, Hours Flexibility
Cons
Poor wages, Low contract hours
it was productive and happy team to work with
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol31 January 2018
working for asda is great doing a variation of jobs within the stores
all team players work together to get stores in shape for customers every day, great customer satifaction
Pros
dont think anything free now
Cons
working full or part time hours were avaialble
Relaxed and fun
Porter (Former Employee) –  Brierley Hill31 January 2018
Asda is the best place I've worked for as a seasonal temp, I really enjoy working with co-workers and the shift times was nothing to complain about. I would recommend a lot of people to work for this company.
Pros
Discounts, great pay and good shift paturns
Cons
Rude customers
Great team experience
Home Shopper (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire30 January 2018
Home shopping at the ASDA i work at is one of the best teams i have ever had the pleasure of working with. The whole team works well together from the drivers, to the the pickers, to the mangers. The hardest part of the job varies from day to day and is largely dependent on the colleagues alongside you. The most enjoyable part of the job is team building. On a slightly negative note, i feel the top managers and section leaders are very elitist and alot of jobs seem to go to friends and family members of those at the top of the store.
Pros
Great team, lots of opportunities
asda
Customer Services Manager/Departmental Manager (Former Employee) –  Dunstable, Bedfordshire30 January 2018
worked long hours in many departments before progressing to the management team. The workplace was a fun enviroment with many characters. One of many challenges faced was working alongside the the management team.
Pros
customer focused
Cons
no direction from peers
Liked the people
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire30 January 2018
At Asda, the job can be very repetitive but the staff makes the job a lot more bearable. It's an amazing place for a student as you can become seasonal.
Enjoyable workforce
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  South West30 January 2018
The job is well paid for what Asda requires of you, however it is the same repetitive jobs and it becomes boring and doesn't ask much of your brain to function the responsibilities they want you to take on. But the workforce of Asda gets you through the shifts and the majority of the managers are laid back providing you're always working and not stopping to chat to other colleagues.
Pros
People
Cons
Same, repetitive jobs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASDA. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K