ASDA Employee Reviews

Found 5,498 reviews matching the search See all 5,650 reviews
Colleagues are great, GSM not people persons
GROCERY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Essex30 October 2018
Working at ASDA was a great life experience of working within a large corporate entity but that's where it ends.

GSM's seem to be trained to be verbally aggressive behind closed doors but nice people on the shop floor, they are very much wolves in sheep's clothing

many times I would make a decision for the best interest of my team only to find it over turned when I arrived back on shift the next day, your opinion counts for nothing. you are not the manager of your department but merely a puppet being controlled by your gsm who will not back you up when it comes to the crunch.

Colleagues however were fantastic and for that it has to be one of my favourite places to work by far.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
long hours, not much thanks, un-forgiving job
Customer Trading Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset5 December 2018
Whilst working in management in Asda can be very demanding and difficult at times, you work within a team to achieve your store and personal targets and goals.

It is essentially what you make it, it can be stressful and it can be demanding, however if you plan and execute your plans and review on a regular basis you will achieve your results.
Pros
Team Environment
Cons
Long Hours - Weekend Working
Good team but management seriously lacking
Night Team Member (Former Employee) –  Peterborough26 September 2018
Spent over 10 years there and was offered training and advancement that never happened. Little or no communication from management to the workforce so everyone was on a different page all the time. The colleagues morale is low and being cut to the bear minimum isn't helping as you are still expected to do the same job at the same pace with less people and expected to run around like a blue arsed fly to get everything done.
Pros
Nice team to work with
Cons
Section leaders are not experience enough to take on the role. No communication from management
Not very good place to work
Section Leader (Former Employee) –  York11 June 2018
Management don't care about their colleagues, expect everything for very little salary they hate people booking time off and try guilt trip you into doing overtime.
would avoid working here.
Pros
leaving
Cons
the whole place
just a number
Section Leader/ Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Oldham10 May 2018
up until the last few CEOs the job was great well looked after felt like you belong.
in the last 3 years...
viewed as disposable.
most benefits removed.
no matter how much you do its never enough.
continuously cut hours so have to hope your staff that's left will do extra hours and push them to breaking point.
Security is being removed so expect even more threatening customers and thieves.
Pros
10% discount
Good
Customer Service/Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlisle16 July 2018
Good place to work with friendly atmosphere. Flexible hours and central to the town. Good salary and training included. Modern up to date environment with ergonomic furniture.
Head of Marketing (Former Employee) –  Head Office, Leeds11 June 2018
Great culture, great benefits. Asda have a real desire to meet and exceed customer's expectations. Hard working and dedicated colleagues. Would recommend as a place to work.
Benefits
Cons
Mixed work / Life baance
Fantastic enviroment,
Home Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  York11 November 2018
I have worked for some large companies, that have terrible conditions and management.
Here at ASDA, I found it very different from the moment I started. Managers Section Leaders very friendly and helpful / supportive.
Other drivers are friendly and helpful,
I get to drive to places all over the county. From inner city to the coast. I see some outstanding country side.
Customers are fantastic very friendly I even get gifts from some.
Every day is a different run. Loads can vary to a few drops to a full van.
I enjoy working for ASDA, this job will see me to my retirement.
If you enjoy driving, meeting people and not affraid of a bit of manual graft then this job is for you.
There are times you need to think on your feet and
Adapt to the occassion. If this sounds like you
Then you will fit in,
Pros
Flexability. Staff Discounts. No two days are the same.
Cons
Wages could be better
working as robots
Night Time Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hayes, UK10 December 2018
Night shift colleagues normally start at 10pm and are supposed to finish at 6am.. however that is not the case. In fact we normally finish at 8 or 9 am (until the task is finished).
They treat you like a robot as you are often dealing with heavy loads and alot of work in such a short amount of time; which makes you wonder how much work day shift do as night staff do everything.

The pay is good and the discount is okay however it isn't worth the stress and ill treatment.
Management are very ungrateful and believe that your life revolves around ASDA, they have a lot of pressure.
Pros
free tea, discount, good pay
Cons
long shifts, rude management, lack of appreciation
Lutterworth Cdc! Management childish!!!!
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Lutterworth, Leicestershire13 January 2018
Pay is good!!
Working hours are good don’t get asked to stay over very often.
Benefits are good but you don’t get a uniform at all, working in a chill you would expect at least a coat.
Pick rates are in excess of 2000 cases a day no matter how heavy the stock is.
Management very childish and if your face don’t fit you won’t get on in this place. My face didn’t fit because I spoke up about how unfair the managers were, I was here 6 months and no second skill was offered to me and I know people who had been there 4 months were being trained on second skills.
Fellow colleagues were ok some really friendly and helpful.
No canteen only vending machines so no hot food offered in a chilled warehouse??
Can’t wait to get out of the place worst place I have ever worked.
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Management, the place needs more down to earth people to run it
Just go for it
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol7 February 2018
Dont let good or bad reviews cloud your judgement. As with any job there are processes. With this particular job you learn these processes. There are pros and cons with any job. Tip avoid drama and do the best you can, at the end of the day it is a job.

The warehouse can be a dangerous place and repetitive motion can be a strain on the body and morals. And yes there is a headset that tells you what to do. For every system there are checks and balances. And you as a worker can naviagate these duties whilst mitigating the damage of careless injuries by following protocols provided. People working together can accomplish much.

The pay is excellent, the rates (for the most part) are achievable. You dont get hounded for this unless you are continually unproductive. Anyone says that as a blanket statement are not being honest.
Pros
Pay excellent, benefits great
Cons
Repetitive tasks and motion
Left to do want you want to do
Counters Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape hill27 October 2018
Absolutely not good
Rude customers
Rude staff
Rude management
No prospects
Work Long hours
Cover lazy staff
Talk about you behind your back
Critazian among staff
Staff aloud to do want they want getting paid to socialise what a joke
Wouldn't recommend working there
Pros
Do want you want
Cons
Left to cope on your own stressful
No social life. No investment in staff and equipment.
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Eastleigh, Hampshire18 March 2018
It can be an okay place to work if you are not stuck on terrible hours. Never use to mind having to work weekends but I currently work Fridays and Saturdays and that is EVERY week unless I can get a day off which is virtually impossible on a Saturday. My hours are such that I can't do anything socially on those days and my social life has been severely affected. I can appreciate the requirement of working weekends but nobody really wants to work Saturdays and I feel that contracts should allow at least one Saturday off a month which I was promised when I joined Asda but it never happened.

As far as the job is concerned there are the usual challenges. The main one being lack of staff. I work on the checkouts and they have refurbished most of the store apart from the checkouts. The checkouts look like they belong in the stone age and hardly anything works. It is frankly quite embarrassing sometimes.

Communication needs to be more organised in relating important information to checkout operators. The staff are generally nice people to work with, no problems with any of my colleagues.
Pros
Salary, Discount Card
Cons
Set hours
Treat you like dirt
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow23 October 2018
Worked there for eight years. Had so many problems with not being supported by management. Always wanting more shifts out of you at short notice but ask for one night off five months in advance and noooooo!! When customers are abusive and I am professional, the customer is still always right! Managers so unsupportive. We train hard for years for the qualifications and are still treated like dirt. The pay rates are not a reflection of the work that is expected and done by ‘most’ . Don’t bother complaining, you will get nowhere!
Pros
Discount card. Training courses paid; if you can get on them!
Cons
Managers treat you like dirt always siding with customers even when in the wrong
Unhelpful management very nice colleagues
Counter Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halesowen3 January 2019
since the beginning the management was extremely unhelpful and unbothered all they wanted to get the work done thats it. they use cheap tactics and blackmail u to give u extra shifts and always cry about the expenses. They kept on threatening me to sack me when i was on a sick leave for my operation. Finally i got so depressed that i left the job and now they are sending me letters to recover the holiday money they paid. THE HOLIDAY WHICH I NEVER TOOK CAUSE I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL!!!
Pros
discount card
Cons
long hrs, worst contracts, unhelpful management
Fun for work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Asda IDC in Lutterworth magna park14 January 2019
I work as night shift colleague, I. Have a lot have been learned at that company’s picking the right quantity driving ppt and llop and counter balance fork lift , scanning and consolidation of the product for every store, they teaching as some in the computer about the product. The work place culture is alright because we a lot of different religions different countries that are working there so different culture wich you have to adopt.the hardest part of the job is to fulfill the duty and responsibility of your work. The enjoyable part is that we are all like a family we have a team brotherhood work and caring to each other to fulfill our task.
Pros
We have 1 hrs brake to have our lunch or dinner
Cons
We have overtime work#
Absolute shambles now
Checkout Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northamptonshire1 April 2018
Up until 3 years ago Asda was a brilliant place to work where respect was a core value. Any bullying or disrespect was stamped on immediately, colleague benefits were plentiful.

3 years on the benefits have gone, all respect has gone, bullying is a daily occurrence.

Staff levels have been cut to the bone,there are not enough colleagues to operate the store effectively or safely. Look around my store on a typical Saturday and you will see one person in the kiosk struggling to cope with a queue of 15 customers whilst the 2 other colleagues that should be serving are working a checkout.

Spillages on the shop floor go unattended for up to an hour because the cleaning team has been reduced to one!

The ageing checkouts and self service tills breakdown daily, customers who have already queued once have to be moved and start all over again.
“Card only”, “cash only”, “basket only”, “ out of order”, signs adorn the 20 year old tills that run on Windows XP. Colleagues in High Viz jackets rush around rebooting ancient equipment.

When colleagues eventually get a break they get to sit for 15 minutes in a stripped bare canteen where the only facility remaining is a drinks vending machine.

This is Asda 2018
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Too many to list
Good place to gain experience but not a worthwhile career.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Leonards-on-Sea15 November 2018
Good for part time work if you are studying, however, would not recommend as a career. I believe the company is moved closer and closer towards e-commerce and stores are slowly reducing the amount of staff.
Pros
10% discount all year with some 20% discount days.
Cons
Poor management.
productive and friendly
Baker (Former Employee) –  Redditch6 January 2018
I work nights so that in itself is a challenge. The job is always made harder are particularly busy times of the year such as Christmas. However, working alongside a hard working and friendly team, that are always willing to help you out, makes the job a lot easier.

Management are always there to offer advice with any queries that you may have. They are very knowledgeable so are able to aid you with any advice you may need.

The most enjoyable part of the job is ending the shift tired, but knowing you've done a good job and you can walk away proud of the work you've done.
Pros
a wide range of colleague benefits are on offer
Cons
working bank holidays
fun workplace
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire30 November 2018
very nice staff a good environment to work in. it has been very fun and competitive I loved working there it it is the best job ever.i would want to go back again.
Pros
free lunch
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASDA. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K