ASDA Employee Reviews for Shop Assistant

Good security and Fun
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Llandudno14 May 2018
A typical day included stocking shelves and making sure sell by dates were correct and in order. Also helping any customers that required it.

Management were always helpful
Poor Management
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundee City10 May 2018
It went downhill so fast people are still catching up. Managers promise one thing, never deliver, and the length of time for meetings is hellish long.
Pros
Cons
Managers, lack of care for staff, not enough staff
Review for twilight staff work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rayleigh, Essex29 April 2018
i found working for asda quite good. The work was easy and once you were finished you could go home and enjoy your evening without having to think about work after you've left.
Evolving workplace, for better and for worse.
Part Time Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Motherwell, North Lanarkshire25 April 2018
Work is generally split between colleagues fairly enough so that standards are met and enough work is completed.
Depending on the team of managers present at each shift, priorities change from things such as shop floor availability and presentability or checkout support and inventory accuracy.
A culture of both older colleagues and young colleagues is positive but the recent optional contract has driven a stake between the age range in every store with most young people accepting the contract and those who are older refusing.
Section leaders are present in most every department as a colleague with more power than a shop floor assistant but less than a manager and generally deals with more than a manager to help with departmental workloads sometimes to a degree generally agreed as unfair for the "benefits" of being a section leader. This being chief cause of a high turnover of staff working at this level for short amount of times before moving department or stepping down backwards to a colleague level.
The work for most departments is heavily labour based, fitness is generally needed and average 8 hour shifts can really rush a colleague off their feet.
The nature of working with (sometimes unpleasant) shoppers can be taxing and draining but generally the workplace offers friendly faces who are willing to make a shift a little easier.
Pros
Positive colleague space for the most part.
Cons
Shifting priorities week to week.
The people make the job.
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ayr9 April 2018
Working in Asda is ok. At the moment, cuts have made the store run on bare minimum but still expect the same amount of work to be done. People that work there are amazing and come from all kinds of backgrounds. Management at my store is done well but needs some fine tuning in order for it to run smoothly. The hardest part of the job is having to work in several departments in one day to ensure the shop runs smoothly but leaves your own department struggling for the rest of the day. The most enjoyable part of working for Asda is the colleagues that work there. They really make it worth while and I have made friends for life by working there.
Pros
Good people, 10% discount, flexible working
Cons
Low pay grade
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds4 April 2018
If you work hard and are committed to the job, you will be treated well. good bonus scheme.

Hours were unsociable but always plenty of overtime if needed.
Pros
Double Discount days
Cons
unsociable hours
Asda is good to work for
shop assistant (Current Employee) –  Mansfield Woodhouse20 March 2018
i have learnt skills for life that i can take anywhere with me. the most enjoyable part is that you can help customers deal with there problems and help them to find things in store. Asda is a very diverse company.
It's become a very depressing workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Caerphilly12 March 2018
Asda have recently made drastic cuts across all stores and it's clearly showing on it's workforce.

Store managers continue to get paid ridiculous salaries and receive big bonuses for what is a bare minimal input on their behalf, at least that's the case in the store I've worked in.

All new starters are offered a 'NEW' flexible contract paying them £8.50 an hour while long serving employees, some of which have been here for 15-20+years who don't wish to sign the new contract remain at the minimum wage of £7.50.

A good few full timers have recently left due to the company getting rid of ''Full time'' contracts on the home shopping department, where every single employee is being forced into a reduction of hours.

The only progression route within the store is to be a section leader, you will be given a ton of responsibilities and be expected to carry out a managers job for just an extra £1 an hour.
Pros
Cons
Reduced hours, Terrible pay, Overpaid managers, No Staff Canteen
A lot of bullying
Home Shopping Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kendal10 March 2018
I would pick customers shopping and pack it ready for delivery. I learned how to shop well. The management were OK but tended to sweep problems under the carpet rather than solve problems. There was a lot of bullying went on and nothing was done about it.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
4 am starts
Friendly colleagues
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blyth7 March 2018
Regular day at work restocking shelves clearing the floor an assisting customers. Great people to work with always there when you need them.Lots of customers to assist to help the day pass.
nice colleagues to work with
Home Shopping Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canterbury6 March 2018
can be a fun place to work and you can make friends easily. I have learned a lot more about customer service and the management are friendly and helpful.
produce supervisor
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester26 February 2018
Asda was my first full time job. It was a good company to work for and gained me vital experience and skills that I was able to take on into future jobs. Unfortunately staff shortages became more and more common with one college being expected to do the work of 2 or 3. Most of the stores managers were friendly and helpful, a few were the complete opposite.
I am thankful to Asda for the knowledge and experience I gained there. It is a great first job to get your foot on the job ladder. I wouldn't want to work there forever though as the work becomes very tedious after a while
Pros
Friendly work enviroment
Cons
job cuts despite increasing workloads
my time at asda
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket20 February 2018
was placed on a work placement by my college and I really enjoyed my time there the typical day at work as unloading the stock from the lorry and putting the stock out. wheat I learned was how to deal with difficult situations. the management was really helpful.
Very uncertain at the minute.
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Somerset17 February 2018
So many business restructures going on.
Everyone walking on egg shells
No job security anymore.
Struggle to get full time hours.
The colleagues generally are great.
Pros
Good staff, staff discount
Cons
No job security anymore
bad
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear16 February 2018
it is not fun to work for, management is unstructured. It is useful for a part time job but i would not dream of staying there for a prolonged period in a career manner.
Friendly management
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Twickenham, Greater London15 February 2018
Enjoying working with the Company.One of the best company to improve your skills.Learn so many things about retail and still learning.respect each other and work like a family.
Great for Part time whilst studying
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City5 February 2018
This is a great job for students looking to earn money whilst studying. Would not recommend pursuing this as a career path. I learned applicable customer service skills.
Eh, okay i guess
Shop floor assistant (Former Employee) –  Telford5 February 2018
ASDA was my first ever job and I was looking forward to it until my first couple of shifts, I never got that much training, the other workers were really quite rude and nobody really cared.
My line manager kept asking me if he could take me home when I only lived a walking distance from the store..
Ok place to work
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newton Abbot5 February 2018
Used to really enjoy going to work but things change ways of working change.
Putting stock on the shelves there used to be a few colleagues working along side you but as people leave they don’t get replaced, and you are expected and stretched to do more.
Structures change within management not always for the best.
Pros
Early start
Cons
Not respected for your job.
An ok place to work
Shop assistant and cashier (Former Employee) –  Kinmel bay conwy2 February 2018
Always a new day with differnet things happening, always meeting new peopke but then would get your usual customers , enjoyed meeting new people and new challenges
Pros
Discount card after 12 weeks
Cons
Long and hard days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASDA. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K