ASDA Employee Reviews for Cashier

Good company to work for. Working in checkouts/services can be a lot of fun if you're eager to learn and move around.
Customer Service Desk Colleague/Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  East Midlands16 August 2018
Having worked for 3 different retail companies since leaving school, alongside studying full-time I would definitely recommend Asda as a company to work for.

I work at a large and busy Superstore in the East Midlands and I'm going to give a pretty detailed and honest review.

I applied for an 8 hour Sunday Checkout Operator job in November as a Seasonal Colleague (for the Christmas period) but ended up being offered a permanent contract.

'Mainbank' Checkout Operator role:
For the first few months as a Checkout Operator my role was solely to sit on a till and serve customers who come through for the entire shift. The till systems that Asda use are very old and literally just a keyboard with a tiny two-line screen, but they work fine and once you've learnt how to use it properly then they are quite efficient.
Asda are really big on giving good customer service and they expect 100% effort at all times when it comes to service. Checkout Operators are trained to follow 'Easy, fast and friendly', 'Greet, Help, Thank' and 'Six Ahead' which are Customer Service ways of working. The ways of working are assessed regularly by mystery shoppers and if a colleague fails a mystery shopper audit then the whole store will lose out on the bonus and it usually leads to some kind of disciplinary hearing. Audits can be failed for something as simple as forgetting to give a warm and friendly parting comment to a customer. Asda make no secret of the fact that they are determined to be distinguishable from competitors such as Aldi and Lidl by giving amazing customer service.

Once you
  more... get the hang of mainback checkouts there are opportunities to work on the Self-scan and Hybrid checkouts where all the same policies apply but the till systems are completely different. Working on self-scan/hybrids tends to feel a bit more fast-paced and less boring than being sat at a till, so it's good for colleagues who prefer being a bit more active at work. The downsides are that the systems are pretty terrible and always crashing, customers don't always know how to use them which can get irritating, customers are a lot ruder and very impatient on the tills, sometimes getting angry.

I realised that if you get the basics right and do your job properly and competently you'll be given more opportunities within the department and I was offered training on the Kiosk and Customer Service Desk which I was really happy with.

At my store there is a huge amount of overtime available for me because I can cover any checkout roles so when I'm not at uni I can work up to 70 hours a week. Most weeks when I'm not at uni I do 50+ hours a week.

Working on the Customer Service Desk:
After being trained to work on the Desk I found that I actually really enjoyed it and time was flying by. Working on the Desk is great for anyone who likes to be busy and active at work. You're given a lot of responsibility including the discretion to give up to £50 goodwill to customers on your own volition, a supervisor override key and code, tannoy announcements, returns and exchanges (makes up the bulk of the work), responsibilities with store evacuations, lost children in store, dealing with complaints, visitors and being a general point of contact/reception for colleagues. Store management were very helpful for the first couple of months and I was always paired with an experienced CSD colleague for the first few weeks but eventually you are expected to resolve things without involving management. The best thing about working on the desk for me is the variety and responsibility of work which you don't really get with other jobs in store, but that's not great for someone who just wants to come to work and get paid to do the bare minimum, which a lot of colleagues want.

Pros of Customer Service Desk:
- Variety of work.
- Time flies by.
- Being able to 'wow' customers with goodwill to keep them happy and coming back when we've got it wrong.
- You are trusted by managers and they will normally support your decisions.
- You generally have a good relationship with all colleagues.
- Being friendly (even though it's forced) all day is good for your mood
- When customers are aggressive or generally being out of order you can ask them to leave the store and ban them for life, if they refuse then security/management will back you up.
- Once you've worked on the desk you can work anywhere in services including being a runner, host, nights etc.
- Puts you in good place for promotion to section leader
- You learn a lot about Asda
- Learn to deal with conflict and how to argue but in a corporate way.
- Learning to be firm with people such as when you need to explain that we won't refund something for whatever reason and your decision is final.
- It's really good for improving your confidence, you learn how to talk to all types of people from all walks of life.

Cons of Customer Service Desk:
- Colleagues aren't always helpful and responsive, sometimes ignoring tannoy callouts and calls to the desk to help customers with enquires on their department.
- Colleagues always tell customers to 'go to the customer service desk' if they don't know the answer to something.
- Can't sit down (but you get used to that)
- When the store is short-staffed or busy you might be working on your own and have queues to manage without support.
- Can be extremely stressful when you're busy and customers won't be understanding. You'll sometimes be surrounded by people who all want your help at the same time. Then when (if) it quietens down you have to remember everything that you need to log.
- If a customer is overcharged because a multi-buy deal didn't come off then you have to do the maths which is sometimes really complicated.
- You're expected to keep the desk looking clean and uncluttered which is impossible when you're busy.
- There is a lot of paperwork for different things, and if you forget to log anything you'll be accountable. There is logging for all refunds over £25, voids/aborts over £20, defective/faulty returns logging which takes a few minutes per item and has to be done on the computer, goodwill logs, cash loan logs, lost property etc etc.
- There are a lot of policies and procedures to know and memorise (but they are available on the computer if you forget)
- Colleagues who have worked on the desk for years can be quite patronising and have different ways of working to you which can cause clashes.
- Asda don't have a system for searching stock availability in your own store or any other store, its all by phone which is time-consuming and irritating for you and the customer.
- Customers (and some colleagues) expect you to know absolutely everything about everything. They will expect you to know where exactly where everything is located in the store.
- Customers do come to the desk who are angry and sometimes aggressive/threatening but this is quite rare and there are procedures for this but it is does happen from time-to-time and can ruin your day.
- Some customers will lie and try to scam you, such as trying to return things fraudulently or making false complaints for goodwill.
- Your customer service skills have to be 100%, all the time. Standards for customer service at the customer service desk are obviously a lot lot higher than for anyone else in the whole store.
- You have to deal with rotten food that's returned which is pretty smelly. People will return dirty underwear/clothes and claim that its faulty and you have to handle it with your bare hands.

Other points about CSD:
Pros
Lenient with hours, work as much as you like and choose your overtime (pretty much unlimited), fast-paced, good opportunities on checkouts, great colleagues, most customers are lovely
Cons
At times the management is pretty poor and things aren't always well organised, management lack attention to detail and don't fix obvious problems, things are often untidy which is easily fixed but ignored
Managers have no clue
Porter/Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 August 2018
The managers have no clue whats going on and don't care about you. All they care about is getting promotions and will use anyone to there. Constantly under staffed and expect the same results and all they go on about is how the wage bill is too expensive. They simply don't have a clue whats going on.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Managers
Good for a springboard job
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Torquay, Devon6 August 2018
Working for ASDA has its ups and downs from rude customers to colleagues who become like a second family.

The pay is good with a great 10% discount benefit which doubles to 20% on special events like Christmas.

A yearly bonus is also a great perk and this depends on how well your store progresses during the year, and super bonuses are achievable.
Pros
10% Discount, Chances of super bonuses and friendly colleagues
Cons
communication issues with management
General Worklife
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Ayr5 August 2018
The benefit payout scheme is good, if you have the funds to put into it. There is overtime available, but usually the same people get the overtime hours before you have a chance. The company used to be family orientated, but with changes and management cut downs, the atmosphere went downhill.
It's a job.
Checkout operator, Greeter (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside1 August 2018
You become apart of customers lives, they think they know you because they are in there every single day. The majority of customers are nice then there are others who aren't nice.
Very good employers
Brighton - Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Hollingbury, UK14 July 2018
My duties included (Not exhaustively) :-

• Operating / supervision at Checkouts, cash handling, resolving customer enquiries.
• Checkout Runner duties, helping Checkout staff with their customer service enquiries.
• Training and advising colleagues, managing staff rotas.
Pros
10% Staff Purchases Discount
A good starter job
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Chorley, Lancashire5 July 2018
ASDA is great as a first point, it can teach you a lot and most management can guide you in the right direction. However, with the amount of competition around ASDA can not afford to keep a good amount of staff employed which can affect its day to day running. Most colleagues are over worked and stressed. Its a different place to work compared to 5 years ago.
Not as expected.
Checkout operator (Former Employee) –  Hayes3 July 2018
Management was poor. There was no recognition at all, they just only care if you get the job done. They also expect too much.
However colleagues are really helpful, very diverse.
Pros
Good Salary and A lot of Overtime offer
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Winsford9 June 2018
Very nice place to work the people who work there were very welcoming and helped me out a lot with the work I needed to do downside was the hours a week we’re going above my contract hours
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Did more hours than what my contract said
i like challenge
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Grangemouth, Falkirk6 June 2018
every shift is a challenge customer needs come first
it is a fun place to work
it does has it up and downs
dealing with the public can be challening
Pros
discount

Want to know more about ASDA?

Ask a question
good place to work
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Stafford6 May 2018
asda has loads of opportunities to advance your career within the retail world, they openly encourage initiative. however from experience ,working checkouts is best forgetting best customer experience
Pros
getting to know ppl
lovely and nice
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Liverpool1 May 2018
You're given guaranteed hours which is great since then you know exactly how much you're receiving when paid.
Paid monthly so have to be able to organize and spread your money over a few weeks.
Staff were lovely and nice but working on tills is sometimes boring and difficult during peak times, e.g. Christmas.
Pros
nice and easy and nice staff
Cons
bit boring
Customer Service Desk & Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Conwy30 April 2018
Asda is an awesome place to work. The team is made up of family and friends that support and encourage each other. The bonus scheme is a great incentive to raise the level of customer service. Excellent opportunity for management progression.
Pros
friendly work environment, good bonus and discount scheme..
Cons
must work 1 day weekends
Worst management ive ever had.
Cashier,part time,permanent (Former Employee) –  South ruislip25 April 2018
No support once you start.management hardly every there.section leaders always finish early.and if your working late you are in charge of everything.never enough staff.u had 4 customer service tills.sometimes struggling for 1 colleague to be there.tills were dirty and toilets were always dirty as cleaners finished early .That's customer and staff toilets.
Short breaks and always doing overtime.couldnt talk to your colleagues as being told u weren't doung your job if you talked to them .unless it near retirement and need a little part timer with basic wage or a students first job then it is such a let down.
If any other dept needs you they put u anywhere forget what your job role is.
Pros
Nice colleaques, staff discount days.
Cons
Short break.poor managers, no support when during your shift.
Productive workplace
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Leckwith23 April 2018
In Asda i learnt how to met nd greet in the correct mannor, i also learnt how to cash handle and till control, checking thriugg shopping, assisting customers enquiries and helping to bag up their shopping and also keeping my check out area clean and tiday.
The easiest part if the job was cash handling.
Pros
Free lunches
Friendly staff environment
Checkout Operator-seasonal work (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset18 April 2018
There is a good level of support for new staff. Supervisors were happy to help and develop skill sets. The role offered a number of opportunities to learn new skills and undertake a number of roles.
Interesting place
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Mitcham, Greater London15 April 2018
A very interesting place to work at, as I have learnt many skills from Asda. for example: keeping up-to-date with time and people, working within a team, handling different personalities within the work place, working under pressure and always keeping a smile on the face as I had the opportunity to work at a check-out operator.

Overall it was a good experience working at Asda.
Enjoyable
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Longwell Green, Bristol7 April 2018
Excellent company to work for, i thoroughly enjoyed working there, the only reason i left was because i got offered a job driving minibuses, but would love to do the 2 jobs
Pros
Enjoyable
Cons
Not enough hours
Workplace
Till Cashier (Current Employee) –  Portadown, County Armagh20 March 2018
Take and handle money from customers, advise them on products. Provide customers with service that keeps them happy and make them want to return to the store.
No social life. No investment in staff and equipment.
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Eastleigh, Hampshire18 March 2018
It can be an okay place to work if you are not stuck on terrible hours. Never use to mind having to work weekends but I currently work Fridays and Saturdays and that is EVERY week unless I can get a day off which is virtually impossible on a Saturday. My hours are such that I can't do anything socially on those days and my social life has been severely affected. I can appreciate the requirement of working weekends but nobody really wants to work Saturdays and I feel that contracts should allow at least one Saturday off a month which I was promised when I joined Asda but it never happened.

As far as the job is concerned there are the usual challenges. The main one being lack of staff. I work on the checkouts and they have refurbished most of the store apart from the checkouts. The checkouts look like they belong in the stone age and hardly anything works. It is frankly quite embarrassing sometimes.

Communication needs to be more organised in relating important information to checkout operators. The staff are generally nice people to work with, no problems with any of my colleagues.
Pros
Salary, Discount Card
Cons
Set hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASDA. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K