ASDA Employee Reviews for Cashier

Found 347 reviews matching the search See all 5,572 reviews
Warm, friendly and fun!
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Brierley Hill9 November 2018
I have 3 years experience working for Asda, I have worked most areas in store and always enjoyed going to work. It is a great company to be able to grow, you can do stepping stones up to section leader even manger.
Pros
Great benefits
Unpleasant Bullying Culture,Weak Managerial Standards
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Stand, UK1 November 2018
facefits culture.
inadequate training
substandard management
working with variety of customers and colleagues in different roles very satisfying ,nothing difficult about job,enjoyable when meeting customer needs.
Pros
Satisfaction Meeting Customer Needs
Cons
Substandard Management, Bullying Culture
Productive work
cashier (Former Employee) –  Birmingham21 October 2018
Here I was on the checkouts for a brand new store. We began by filling the shelfs and ensuring everything was in the correct place ready for the 1st opening day.
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn, Norfolk18 October 2018
I enjoyed working seasonally at ASDA King's Lynn the team I worked with were very efficient and friendly. I learned about team work and customer service primarily as well as being able to develop confidence on the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was working somewhere where the team members go on and were there to help and support eachother.
Good place to work with friendly colleagues
Part-time, seasonal checkout operator (Former Employee) –  Hayle9 October 2018
ASDA is a great place to work with friendly staff and good management. Pay is not great (just above minimum wage), but work is easy. Hours are flexible and it is easy to get the holiday you want.
hard working
Checkout operator (Former Employee) –  Colindale, Greater London23 September 2018
the staff are all friendly and hard working. the managers are all very helpful and help to solve any problems that may arise. A very great environment to work in
Great place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sheffield18 September 2018
Really good job, I enjoyed it here, I always kept busy and everyone was so friendly and positive .i would Give anything to go back there as I felt welcome
full of opportunities
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol15 September 2018
This was a type of place to work where working hours flexible; I learned to be more independent and take on challenges where others would consider. A typical day involved me working independently and within a team at certain times to complete tasks around the store, some days it would be challenging and i would have to organize myself into getting prepared and completing my duties.

The culture of the job role was very eventful, for example meeting many different customers on a day to day basis and helping and supporting them throughout their experience through the store.

As for the management at the workplace it was very formal and everything was notified to every member of staff before any changes where to happen. To be honest the hardest part of the job was not having the chance to move up the ladder and try to reach an higher position as sometimes my attributes where not notified and praised. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the change of new knowledge and working within a fun environment which never stayed the same.
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Staff
A Hard place to work
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Torfaen12 September 2018
Very short staffed, few multi-trained colleagues to help and support most areas. As with all places there is favouritism. Overtime is available and better if you can become multi-trained.
Pros
10% Discount
Cons
Stressful
Good but challenging
Checkout Operator and Porter (Former Employee) –  Halifax20 August 2018
all round good job and company to work for can sometimes be hard when manager is stern. cusomers can be demanding and awkward to deal with but security handle them professionally and this helps you with your job.

Want to know more about ASDA?

Ask a question
Good company to work for. Working in checkouts/services can be a lot of fun if you're eager to learn and move around.
Customer Service Desk Colleague/Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  East Midlands16 August 2018
Having worked for 3 different retail companies since leaving school, alongside studying full-time I would definitely recommend Asda as a company to work for.

I work at a large and busy Superstore in the East Midlands and I'm going to give a pretty detailed and honest review.

I applied for an 8 hour Sunday Checkout Operator job in November as a Seasonal Colleague (for the Christmas period) but ended up being offered a permanent contract.

'Mainbank' Checkout Operator role:
For the first few months as a Checkout Operator my role was solely to sit on a till and serve customers who come through for the entire shift. The till systems that Asda use are very old and literally just a keyboard with a tiny two-line screen, but they work fine and once you've learnt how to use it properly then they are quite efficient.
Asda are really big on giving good customer service and they expect 100% effort at all times when it comes to service. Checkout Operators are trained to follow 'Easy, fast and friendly', 'Greet, Help, Thank' and 'Six Ahead' which are Customer Service ways of working. The ways of working are assessed regularly by mystery shoppers and if a colleague fails a mystery shopper audit then the whole store will lose out on the bonus and it usually leads to some kind of disciplinary hearing. Audits can be failed for something as simple as forgetting to give a warm and friendly parting comment to a customer. Asda make no secret of the fact that they are determined to be distinguishable from competitors such as Aldi and Lidl by giving amazing customer service.

Once you
  more... get the hang of mainback checkouts there are opportunities to work on the Self-scan and Hybrid checkouts where all the same policies apply but the till systems are completely different. Working on self-scan/hybrids tends to feel a bit more fast-paced and less boring than being sat at a till, so it's good for colleagues who prefer being a bit more active at work. The downsides are that the systems are pretty terrible and always crashing, customers don't always know how to use them which can get irritating, customers are a lot ruder and very impatient on the tills, sometimes getting angry.

I realised that if you get the basics right and do your job properly and competently you'll be given more opportunities within the department and I was offered training on the Kiosk and Customer Service Desk which I was really happy with.

At my store there is a huge amount of overtime available for me because I can cover any checkout roles so when I'm not at uni I can work up to 70 hours a week. Most weeks when I'm not at uni I do 50+ hours a week.

Working on the Customer Service Desk:
After being trained to work on the Desk I found that I actually really enjoyed it and time was flying by. Working on the Desk is great for anyone who likes to be busy and active at work. You're given a lot of responsibility including the discretion to give up to £50 goodwill to customers on your own volition, a supervisor override key and code, tannoy announcements, returns and exchanges (makes up the bulk of the work), responsibilities with store evacuations, lost children in store, dealing with complaints, visitors and being a general point of contact/reception for colleagues. Store management were very helpful for the first couple of months and I was always paired with an experienced CSD colleague for the first few weeks but eventually you are expected to resolve things without involving management. The best thing about working on the desk for me is the variety and responsibility of work which you don't really get with other jobs in store, but that's not great for someone who just wants to come to work and get paid to do the bare minimum, which a lot of colleagues want.

Pros of Customer Service Desk:
- Variety of work.
- Time flies by.
- Being able to 'wow' customers with goodwill to keep them happy and coming back when we've got it wrong.
- You are trusted by managers and they will normally support your decisions.
- You generally have a good relationship with all colleagues.
- Being friendly (even though it's forced) all day is good for your mood
- When customers are aggressive or generally being out of order you can ask them to leave the store and ban them for life, if they refuse then security/management will back you up.
- Once you've worked on the desk you can work anywhere in services including being a runner, host, nights etc.
- Puts you in good place for promotion to section leader
- You learn a lot about Asda
- Learn to deal with conflict and how to argue but in a corporate way.
- Learning to be firm with people such as when you need to explain that we won't refund something for whatever reason and your decision is final.
- It's really good for improving your confidence, you learn how to talk to all types of people from all walks of life.

Cons of Customer Service Desk:
- Colleagues aren't always helpful and responsive, sometimes ignoring tannoy callouts and calls to the desk to help customers with enquires on their department.
- Colleagues always tell customers to 'go to the customer service desk' if they don't know the answer to something.
- Can't sit down (but you get used to that)
- When the store is short-staffed or busy you might be working on your own and have queues to manage without support.
- Can be extremely stressful when you're busy and customers won't be understanding. You'll sometimes be surrounded by people who all want your help at the same time. Then when (if) it quietens down you have to remember everything that you need to log.
- If a customer is overcharged because a multi-buy deal didn't come off then you have to do the maths which is sometimes really complicated.
- You're expected to keep the desk looking clean and uncluttered which is impossible when you're busy.
- There is a lot of paperwork for different things, and if you forget to log anything you'll be accountable. There is logging for all refunds over £25, voids/aborts over £20, defective/faulty returns logging which takes a few minutes per item and has to be done on the computer, goodwill logs, cash loan logs, lost property etc etc.
- There are a lot of policies and procedures to know and memorise (but they are available on the computer if you forget)
- Colleagues who have worked on the desk for years can be quite patronising and have different ways of working to you which can cause clashes.
- Asda don't have a system for searching stock availability in your own store or any other store, its all by phone which is time-consuming and irritating for you and the customer.
- Customers (and some colleagues) expect you to know absolutely everything about everything. They will expect you to know where exactly where everything is located in the store.
- Customers do come to the desk who are angry and sometimes aggressive/threatening but this is quite rare and there are procedures for this but it is does happen from time-to-time and can ruin your day.
- Some customers will lie and try to scam you, such as trying to return things fraudulently or making false complaints for goodwill.
- Your customer service skills have to be 100%, all the time. Standards for customer service at the customer service desk are obviously a lot lot higher than for anyone else in the whole store.
- You have to deal with rotten food that's returned which is pretty smelly. People will return dirty underwear/clothes and claim that its faulty and you have to handle it with your bare hands.

Other points about CSD:
Pros
Lenient with hours, work as much as you like and choose your overtime (pretty much unlimited), fast-paced, good opportunities on checkouts, great colleagues, most customers are lovely
Cons
At times the management is pretty poor and things aren't always well organised, management lack attention to detail and don't fix obvious problems, things are often untidy which is easily fixed but ignored
a good job, just too far for me
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coventry14 August 2018
the time I have to work were fair and what I needed letting me do my freelance but as the work was far away from where I live I couldn't keep to a work time that suited my freelance and my work life.
Pros
good pay for part-time work
Cons
hard to get changed to a different store
Managers have no clue
Porter/Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 August 2018
The managers have no clue whats going on and don't care about you. All they care about is getting promotions and will use anyone to there. Constantly under staffed and expect the same results and all they go on about is how the wage bill is too expensive. They simply don't have a clue whats going on.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Managers
Good for a springboard job
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Torquay, Devon6 August 2018
Working for ASDA has its ups and downs from rude customers to colleagues who become like a second family.

The pay is good with a great 10% discount benefit which doubles to 20% on special events like Christmas.

A yearly bonus is also a great perk and this depends on how well your store progresses during the year, and super bonuses are achievable.
Pros
10% Discount, Chances of super bonuses and friendly colleagues
Cons
communication issues with management
General Worklife
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Ayr5 August 2018
The benefit payout scheme is good, if you have the funds to put into it. There is overtime available, but usually the same people get the overtime hours before you have a chance. The company used to be family orientated, but with changes and management cut downs, the atmosphere went downhill.
It's a job.
Checkout operator, Greeter (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside1 August 2018
You become apart of customers lives, they think they know you because they are in there every single day. The majority of customers are nice then there are others who aren't nice.
Very good employers
Brighton - Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Hollingbury, UK14 July 2018
My duties included (Not exhaustively) :-

• Operating / supervision at Checkouts, cash handling, resolving customer enquiries.
• Checkout Runner duties, helping Checkout staff with their customer service enquiries.
• Training and advising colleagues, managing staff rotas.
Pros
10% Staff Purchases Discount
A good starter job
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Chorley, Lancashire5 July 2018
ASDA is great as a first point, it can teach you a lot and most management can guide you in the right direction. However, with the amount of competition around ASDA can not afford to keep a good amount of staff employed which can affect its day to day running. Most colleagues are over worked and stressed. Its a different place to work compared to 5 years ago.
Not as expected.
Checkout operator (Former Employee) –  Hayes3 July 2018
Management was poor. There was no recognition at all, they just only care if you get the job done. They also expect too much.
However colleagues are really helpful, very diverse.
Pros
Good Salary and A lot of Overtime offer
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Winsford9 June 2018
Very nice place to work the people who work there were very welcoming and helped me out a lot with the work I needed to do downside was the hours a week we’re going above my contract hours
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Did more hours than what my contract said

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASDA. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K