ASDA Employee Reviews for Cashier

Productive and enjoyable work environment
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Bromborough, Merseyside12 February 2018
Enjoyable and predictable workload, helped me to develop interpersonal skills and overall confidence in my work. Approachable, helpful and friendly management and a enjoyable workplace culture which whilst sometimes challenging was extremely rewarding.
Pros
Flexible worktimes.
Cons
Long Hours
Friendly and flexible place to work
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Quinton, West Midlands10 February 2018
Asda has wonderful policies on flexible working for families and is very understanding of students requiring study leave or shift swaps around exam season.
Happy collegues, always helpful.
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Shipley6 February 2018
I have been working at Asda for a very long time, and in all my years of experience a typical day for me was, doing an 8 hour shift working on checkouts, serving customers, helping them pack their shopping, filling the gap with a chat and ending with a friendly parting comment.
I learn't that having excellent customer service skills was a key part of the organisations work ethics, and this is what I learn't working at Asda along with many other things such as: dealing with difficult customers, problem solving, supervising and first aid. Management was organised in a structured manner, they were in close contact with several supervisors including me to go on shop floor to help them with: looking after different departments, making sure all collegues were carrying out their duties and that they were given their breaks etc. The culture was that of a warm and friendly nature, everybody was happy and had a smile on their face. Having a drunk customer verbally abuse you is never a nice thing and for me personally I found that a hard part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was to bring joy and happiness to customers after serving them
Pros
delicious food in the cafeteria, good customers, friendly collegues.
Cons
drunk and angry customers.
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Asda, Warrington28 January 2018
Hard work. Long hours.
I learned a lot about shop floor management. Customer services.
Checkout operation. Dealing with difficult customers.
Good workplace culture.
Management was very good.
Pros
I got paid for this job!!!
Cons
My kids were young. Found it difficult to leave them.
Good Environment
Checkout Operator/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Telford25 January 2018
Flexible working hrs.
Built a good communication skills.
Very good management.
Convince & satisfy customer is very big challenge some times.
Good place to work.
Pros
Discount Card
Cons
weekend working
A good place to work
Checkout Operator/Car Park Attendant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen23 January 2018
ASDA is a good work environment with a lot of opportunities for career growth. The culture was very friendly and helpful and the company is very flexible with hours.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
n/a
Decent workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London21 January 2018
Serving customers and operating the cash till

I learned cashing out till checking the money and writing report on daily incidents.

Staff are encouraged to collaborate in team work

Respecting and valuing each and everyone including the customer

To be able to support someone find the right items in store

Hearing in the news that the company has exceeded its target and being part of that team.
Love dealing with the public
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire17 January 2018
I was a checkou operative which I really enjoyed, I have great customer service skills which I love to express. I love working in that atmosphere with a van do attitude
Pros
Customers
Cons
Manager
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tilbury10 January 2018
Asda is a fun but a very demanding work place but enjoyable I have found there is room for learning and gaining skills every were at any time from stocking to running and even training to be manager
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Cut hours
Other Colleagues are great to work with, but the management is terrible.
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire31 December 2017
The other colleagues that you work with on the shop floor are lovely, but the management do not care about the staff at all, they are more concerned about the figures. Working over seasonal periods is the worst because you loose all time with family members and it is impossible to plan anything with family unless you want to do it over a year in advance in order for them to let you have time off. The managers on front end in particular only care about you if you fit in with the rest of the staff there, if not then you spend most of your time having your life made intentionally difficult just because the managers don't like you or they don't want to annoy somebody else on your department because they have worked there longer than you. The shift rotas are also meant to be done 4 weeks in advance but you are generally lucky to have them before the week starts that you need the rota for.
Pros
10% Discount card after 3 months working for them.
Cons
Long hours, seasonal periods are a nightmare, the managers are terrible at managing the people underneath them.

Want to know more about ASDA?

Ask a question
Fun an productive
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Sutton-In-Ashfield31 December 2017
Working g for asda is great and the people are amazing and helpful. There are always opertunities to experience new parts of the store and expand on you skills
Pros
Brill people
Cons
Not enogh hours
Checkout operator
checkout operator (Former Employee) –  Blyth, Northumberland29 December 2017
While working at ASDA I was a checkout operator, the job itself is an easy one however you have to have a strong resilience to some customers. There where times when some of the, would shout at you, give snide comments or just generally being ignorant. Some of the management would also just ignore anything you would tell them, even if it was about a shop lifter. I think it would depend on the store and staff on what the experience of the job would be for Asda but I did honestly make some very good friends working there which are still good friends today.
Pros
after probation you get a discount care of 15% which at a date around Christmas goes up to 25%
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire8 December 2017
Staff are only very friendly and helpful

A good staff ethos and people will help you if they see that you are struggling

Not a fan of the shift patterns
Great Company For People with special needs
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Radford6 December 2017
The company is good in its values for employing peoplewith speacil needs.
Their interveiw process is also unusual in the sense that they test your personality along with other people, to see if your suitable for the position.
Worst place to work for in the world
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire2 December 2017
When i got my job i was so thankful for it but as the years passed by i started hating work so much that i had to go to doctors as i felt depressed. It is so cold dirty and discusting
Managers are very bad and dont care what you think or ask if your ok. Training is a must but they dont provide you with the right training.
Safety is my biggest worry too that the managers dont even care about.
Checkouts is so boring and so cold
You literally have to worship every customer you serve.
And all you do is wait for home time.
Its so boring and time drags to badly
Pros
Nothing at all
Cons
Pay. Work conditions.managers.staff.hours.contracts.breaks.borderm.unfair.
Very poor management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Andover19 November 2017
It was a fantastic place to work at the beginning, but as management changed it turned into a slave pen, Bullying, discrimination, double standards were a common practice.
Best job ever
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Colchester14 November 2017
I currently work on checkouts and selfscan tills where I have lovely colleagues that have always been very helpful and friendly and would recommend applying here.
Pros
Discount card lovely
Cons
None.
Interesting plus fun and active people to work with
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Dunstable, Bedfordshire13 November 2017
All colleges at ASDA give the best service they can, even when they are wrong, they will apologize for their mistake. You are sure to get the best service from all colleagues.
Pros
Friendly people you can work with
friendly workplace
Cash Office Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rawtenstall, Lancashire3 November 2017
Asda has minimal opportunities to develop your career however is a nice place to work. Surrounded with cheery , positive colleagues and you have the pleasure of being able to chat with the public.
Pros
on site canteen
Cons
poor wages
Good working environment
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Blackwood18 October 2017
Friendly and helpful team members and leadership team, excellent place to improve on skills such as communication and social interactions. excellent restaurant/cafe area.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASDA. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K