ASDA Employee Reviews in Birmingham

Catering Assistant/Cook (Current Employee) –  Birmingham1 January 2018
Asda is a wonderful place to work and shop at. It is ambush store yet customer needs are always dealt with. Colleagues and management are a pleasure to work with.
Pros
A good team
Cons
Zero hours contracts
Fun
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 October 2017
used to work on the shop-floor and was given specific aisles to stock and keep tidy. was pretty much left to get on with it and as long as the aisles were reasonably stock the management were happy. was working there as part time basis during college.
Pros
fun
Cons
draining
Productive yet unsupportive
Permanent/Part Time (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 October 2017
Although it is an amazing workplace environment, the managment are unsupportive and completely disregard respext and understanding, overall a good place to start an everlasting career
Pros
Colleagues and customers
Cons
Managment skills
Decent
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 July 2017
Not an interesting place to work for anyone at university and looking to reach a bit higher. The wage is very good however and it pays for University fees.
Fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham3 July 2017
A happy place and a job I enjoyed. It worked around my family and the colleagues I worked with were very helpful and always available to help if I needed assistance.
Good atmosphere
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 July 2017
The work was laid out and all knew what their tasks for the day were. Learnt a great deal about teamwork and supporting others.

Management wasn't always supportive but took into account personal circumstances when arranging shifts. As there wasn't much scope for progression within the company I chose to move on.

the role was relatively easy and posed no problems except the repetitive movement which caused back pain. The interaction with customers brought a great deal of satisfaction to the role.
Very good
Customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands20 June 2017
I really enjoyed my time here and wouldn't of left but nights didn't suit me after i had a baby. I met some lovely staff and think asda are good to work for.
Well balanced employment. Good work environment.
Porter (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 June 2017
The Really best place to start your working life. Ideally a view to management and step on roles is the best way to achieve your goals. At asda the world's your oyster.
Pros
10 % discount. Flexibility and part time roles. Overtime.
Cons
Minimum wage
Chilled
Section Leader (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 June 2017
Department is always organised and colleagues are hard workers. I learned how to be flexible and to meet targets. I also learned how to work in a team to achieve my goals.
Pros
meet new people
Not my first choice
Chilled Colleague (Former Employee) –  Birmingham1 June 2017
I wouldn't choose to work here again, expected to work ridiculously fast with a lot of pressure. Friendly colleagues but reminds you a bit of being at school with the gossip.
Good company
Shop Floor Worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, UK11 May 2017
Asda is a big super market with friendly staff who are willing to help you at any time with your questions also the atmosphere is one to be part of for good
jobs a job
night shift (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands10 May 2017
this is the worst place you can work i only did this job as i was studying the gsm dont have a clue. questlett store gsm is the worst he never steps on the shop floor
Good working environment
Frozen Colleague (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 May 2017
Not a bad place to work, very helpful colleagues and lots of training offered in various departments.Working in Asda improved my understanding of retail business.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
Management not very cooperative and not helpful
Relentless
eCommerce Trading Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, Coventry, UK22 February 2017
45+ hours and made to feel like you need to do more. Management never given any thanks, and results are never good enough. colleagues are fantastic but under paid.
Great job for students to begin with but get boring and repetitive over time
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands10 February 2017
Great Job and pay to begin with but overtime becomes repetitive and boring, plus management aren't very good with colleagues
Pros
10% Staff Discount
Cons
Poor Management
Unproductive
Sales Assistant / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham8 December 2016
I was instructed to manage the deli counter and ensure sales targets were met. I learnt how to manage people from all backgrounds and to work in stressful situations. Management was poor, favouring others and himself while creating the timetable schedule. Co-workers were ok and I was able to work well with. The hardest part was being left alone at times and not knowing when the manager or co-workers will arrive to switch shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job was clocking out.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Poor Management
Average job, salary and actual work isn't fantastic
Process Colleague (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 December 2016
I'm responsible for finding items that are about to go out of date on the shop floor and marking them down using a telxon gun. I've also been trained as a cashier.
I've learned how to operate a till, use a telxon gun, and how to best help concerned customers (listen to their needs carefully, and clearly provide information when sorting out the problem)

Management are pretty distant. They get on with their things, I get on with mine. My co-workers are quite friendly and were happy to help when I unsure during training.

The most difficult part of the job is making sure it's completed on time. Since I can't control how many items are going out of date on a certain day, some days have a huge number of items from many departments going out of date. I have to make sure that I work quickly and accurately on those days so I finish my work before I'm due to go. I also have to make sure the volume of work I have to do doesn't stop me from being approachable and eager to help customers.
The actual work I do isn't very difficult. I would prefer something more challenging.

The most enjoyable part of my job is helping customers. Successfully helping grateful customers is very satisfying. I've also made a few friends while working at ASDA, so spending my breaks with them is also quite enjoyable.
Pros
Helpful colleagues
Cons
Pay isn't great
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham28 September 2016
I enjoyed my time here but circumstances changed and I needed a new job. so I looked around and found a new job, opportunity here was limited as was hours.
Secure job
Night Colleague (Current Employee) –  Birmingham27 September 2016
Working nights I have learnt that team spirit is very important, it is important to set your own pace to ensure targets are met.
The mindset in which you approach the work is very important, as it can quite often mean the difference between low and high morale.
Management is under pressure and as a result work life and store morale can suffer.
In general co-workers can quite often make you're day, having good working relationships can make the work a lot easier and a lot more enjoyable.
The most enjoyable part of my job is perhaps helping customers. Working nights you are given targets and as a result have the power to determine how to approach and achieve these targets.
No future progression
Section Leader (Former Employee) –  Birmingham22 September 2016
Asda appeared to have made a lot of wrong decisions, there is practically no progression due to taking out most of the management jobs last year.
more pressure on colleagues
Pros
discount card
Cons
longhours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASDA. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K