ASDA Employee Reviews

Found 5,456 reviews matching the search See all 5,603 reviews
a good company to work for
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Taunton, UK13 December 2018
job roll involved looking after 3 departments on the shop floor,booking in deliveries,also placing orders for the 3 departments,roll also included helping customers find products
An ok place to work
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Fareham, Hampshire13 December 2018
Asda is an ok place to work for the money that you need but the environment can sometimes be taxing as some people can be quite rude however the manager is very lovely.
Pros
Good manager
Cons
Not a great environment
Challenges
Warehouse Operative picker (Former Employee) –  Whashington Tyne and wear12 December 2018
I had to pick a number of heavy units per day. I enjoyed the challenges they put forth and I always hot my targets. I didn't appreciate being made to work Nightshift
Pros
Breaks were at your own discretion as long as you hit your target
Cons
Nightshift was compulsory
Great place
Section leader (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire11 December 2018
Lots of opportunity to progress if you wish to do so, lots of management support. Great bonus' of discount card and double discount events throughout the year
Good environment and friendly co workers
Home Shopper (Current Employee) –  Horwich, Greater Manchester10 December 2018
The tasks are simple enough to work with and the collegues are friendly to interact with for assistance and friendly social conversations. The only concern personally speaking is when the isles are either blocked from time to time with comps first thing in the morning, but they clear as the day goes on. All in all, a good place to work.
Pros
Good environment
working as robots
Night Time Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hayes, UK10 December 2018
Night shift colleagues normally start at 10pm and are supposed to finish at 6am.. however that is not the case. In fact we normally finish at 8 or 9 am (until the task is finished).
They treat you like a robot as you are often dealing with heavy loads and alot of work in such a short amount of time; which makes you wonder how much work day shift do as night staff do everything.

The pay is good and the discount is okay however it isn't worth the stress and ill treatment.
Management are very ungrateful and believe that your life revolves around ASDA, they have a lot of pressure.
Pros
free tea, discount, good pay
Cons
long shifts, rude management, lack of appreciation
great experience
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham10 December 2018
working for asdas was enjoyable good sociable skills good hours I cleaned floors and swept the floors and wiped all counters down I cleaned the pizza and chicken area
Pros
discount
Terrible company but good pay
Night Replenishment (Current Employee) –  Asda9 December 2018
I started working night shift in asda around 6 months ago and currently only do two shifts.

The pay is great especially for young people.

However the company and management is terrible. They dont care about the colleagues or how much work you have to do during your shift, they tell you to Finnish your delivery by a certain time that they get given called a case rate which has never been accurate in my experience. Usually you can finish your delivery in a night easily and even go on to help others. But sometimes deliveries are too large and just not possible to finish or you get really bad spliter palettes that are given to you near the end of your shift. One of my managers in particular dosent take this into consideration and is often quite rude when you take longer to do something even when it's out of your own control.

I've noticed the day shift management dont pass on information to night management and often can cause problems and confusion and it's just not really good enough. It can sometimes cause problems to your shift as some people call in sick and night management has no idea or your on holiday and they didn't know and this could result in you being disciplined for not turning up to work but in reality its their mistakes. I remember one of my managers thought I had quit but I was only on holiday.

When I first started management phoned me a few times to see if I could come in on a certain night for overtime however I said no each time and they never get phone calls any more. I'm sure if I was to ask if I could do some overtime they would give me some anyway.
  more...

At the end of the day its Asda its a rubbish job and it shows in the people that run it and the state of the stores the only good thing about the place is pay and benifts. Such as 10% off all year and 20% off for about a week a couple times of the year.
Pros
Pay and benifits
Cons
Poorly managed, bad communications
Asda delivery driver
Asda Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands9 December 2018
Bad management culture ,constantly understaffed staff retention level very poor constant problems with equipment and it support bad induction process bad follow up on benfits
Pros
Cons
Unrealistic expectations no ownership by management of problems all blame placed on workers
fun workplace
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Wigan6 December 2018
would be in a large team, always something to do, management was ok, dependant on the manager. heavy lifting sometimes but you could find a happy medium it wasn't one or the other most of the time.
Pros
hours
Cons
made redundant - warehouse closed down

Want to know more about ASDA?

Ask a question
Customer Trading Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset5 December 2018
Whilst working in management in Asda can be very demanding and difficult at times, you work within a team to achieve your store and personal targets and goals.

It is essentially what you make it, it can be stressful and it can be demanding, however if you plan and execute your plans and review on a regular basis you will achieve your results.
Pros
Team Environment
Cons
Long Hours - Weekend Working
Not a good place top work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria4 December 2018
The store I worked in was badly understaffed and poorly managed. Moral there in general is low, as people in general feel overworked, underpaid and treated unfairly and disrespectfully. My personal experience was that when you identified a problem and made management aware of it, they agreed with you but did nothing about it.
Pros
Discount card, bonus.
Cons
Poor management, understaffing.
5 years a slave
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Yorkshire30 November 2018
I worked here for a long time. The new contract is a joke. They are slowing getting rid of old staff and getting everyone on contract 6. This lets them change your hours and job role by only giving you three weeks notice. Its only a step up from a zero hour contract. Its awful.

The management are clueless. The team leaders and graduate managers are mostly under 25. This allows ASDA to pay them less. The team leaders and graduate managers are normally jumped up kids who run around trying to stand out to those who can give them a leg up the management ladder. To do this they will pick any fault with what you do just so they can be seen to be managing you. Customer complains about you, you are screwed. Team leader is having a bad day they are gonna 'write you up' and put it on your file. You can not avoid it. If you like being managed by snot nosed kids with no social skills and are only there to do the bare minimum while making your life a misery, then step right up!

The pay is terrible. You will be constantly hounded to work extra hours. ASDA never has enough staff, you will be working three peoples jobs while that snot nosed kid is picking fault with your every move. You can not win and that is how they want you. Over a barrel squeeling like a pig. You are never part of a team as people are constantly leaving, so if you stay you will very quickly become the most experienced person on your section. This means nothing as those snot nosed kids will expect you to train the constant wave of students that come to work with you and then leave after a couple
  more... of shifts because they too realise what a slave farm ASDA really is.

So to recap. If you like working for snot nosed tyrants, earn minimum wage and be treated no better than a slave then this place might be what you are looking for. The running joke with ASDA staff is the company is known as Auschwitz.

Good luck, your gonna need it. Make sure you get a lobotomy before you start work.
Pros
Nothing.
fun workplace
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire30 November 2018
very nice staff a good environment to work in. it has been very fun and competitive I loved working there it it is the best job ever.i would want to go back again.
Pros
free lunch
Enjoyable and well-run
Home shopping picker (Former Employee) –  Aberdeenshire29 November 2018
Management was lovely, very helpful. My job as a home shopping picker began at 5am which led to a very poor work-life balance and eventually my resignation. There is hands on, on-the-job training which proved very useful and you soon find yourself doing tasks with ease and not requiring much thought.

The culture at ASDA was very pleasant although some training was a little over the top regarding customer service, as basic friendliness and knowledge were all you needed with most positions.

Overall very enjoyable and reasonably well paid job, would recommend to anyone.
Feel like a slave!
Night shift collegue, (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire29 November 2018
This has been one off the worst work experiences that i have had in my working life. The contract i am supposed to sign give all my right away. As long as you are given three weeks notice youhave to do as they say. From change of hours to change of shift
Pros
nothing
Cons
Everything else
Nice place to work if careful with the customers
Shelf stacker (Former Employee) –  Gravesend, UK29 November 2018
Talked to section area staff say hi and what needs doing. go through the work. At Bought In Baked Cakes section, I went through and found the gaps in the whole aisle and wrote them down then went through the delivery and got what we had that would go out and put them out date rotating as I went. Then did the small speciality bread stacks then the bulk bread stacks then go through for the markdowns for the day to take off the cake and bread aisle and marked them down four times in the day. went through the cream cakes aisle and took off markdowns then brought the new delivery and worked it with what could go out that day. Sometimes I went into the bakery section and helped with the packing of the rolls and bread and trying up the uncooked and scraping off the cooked cookies into the designated bag and labelling them.
When I went to counters in Dundee I took orders for curry and dished out the meat and sauce of the flavour wanted. the tricolour or pilau rice and the small snack in the meal deal. Did this till the curry was gone and got a new bowl and new supply to the counter from the back fridges. Towards the end of the day, we changed all the bowls and cleaned them and cleaned the counter.
I sometimes did pizza counter and Hot chicken counter. Took customer orders and cleaned the area as a when needed.
Back in Gravesend, I worked In Worked in BIBC again then changed to Produce and went through the delivery of the fruit and veg. Took markdowns and cleaned as an when needed.
The colleges were for the most part hard working and sensible.
good people to work with in store.
Customer Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sittingbourne, UK29 November 2018
asda don't know how to deal with there staff on a managerial level and they don't know how to deal with people with disabilities or health problem through lack of understanding.
lack of customer service all they care about is £££££
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Morley, West Yorkshire29 November 2018
Asda (LHSC) do not care about its customers or workers, the management are more than happy to send dirty totes out to customers (which I complained about on numorous occations, If a product the customer whats is not on the shelf but in the warehouse the management just tell you to sub the product, If you want a job where the company values its customers please stay away
Pros
The people who work there
Cons
too many
Great place to work.
Chilled Colleague (Current Employee) –  Beckton, Greater London28 November 2018
I am currently working for Asda Beckton and I really love it, I was taken care of for the first month. The managers ensure that I am happy and if not they are 100% willing to listen, even though it can get very busy, the atmosphere is still great. A typical day at work consists of making sure the shop floor is tidy and answering any queries that customers may have. The hardest part of the job is when it very busy and you must pull a heavy cage around trying to not bump into people, but most of the time they just move out of the way. Overall my experience at Asda has been amazing, I would definitely recommend getting a job here.
Pros
Excellent pay, good environment
Cons
Sometimes very busy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASDA. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K