ASDA Employee Reviews

Found 5,262 reviews matching the search See all 5,404 reviews
a good job, just too far for me
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coventry14 August 2018
the time I have to work were fair and what I needed letting me do my freelance but as the work was far away from where I live I couldn't keep to a work time that suited my freelance and my work life.
Pros
good pay for part-time work
Cons
hard to get changed to a different store
Very productive and great team
Baker (Former Employee) –  Lower Earley, Berkshire14 August 2018
Great job to start in working with a range of different individuals who all have different skills. Working very early mornings starting at four and non stop work till twelve. I learnt mainly the work environment how you work rate is really important and how important every member of the team is. I enjoyed working within my team again as there was a range of ages who we all got on and wanted to make the day the best we can. The hardest part was the equipment we had that would help us make the products also with the equipment constantly not working properly or broken.
Pros
Discount
Cons
New challenge
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Motherwell13 August 2018
Asda was a great place to work when i first started then they started to change things like the managment structure they made so many managers redundant and brought in section leaders off the shopfloor if u sucked up to the managers u were definitely in there and when they made the managers redundant they got rid of the good ones and kept all the rubbish and the store i worked in had the worst team ever the personnel manager what can a say there was nothing personel about her everyone knew your business anybody that sucked up to her got to sit in personnel all day swinging there feet dont get me wrong there was 1 or 2 that was nice the only thing i could say i enjoyed about it was all the colleagues i worked with they were great
Pros
Cons
Management, wages
VERY Mundane
Personal Shopper to Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Royal Tunbridge Wells11 August 2018
A typical day at ASDA consists of doing the deliveries for 3 hours until you have to do the "racking" (pulling stuff off of the back stock to see if it will fit on the shelves, a lot of the time it won't) for 5 hours (often there is no more filling to do and you're left to wander around the store searching for work for hours). You will spend all of your time on your feet (except for your 15-30 minute break).
Employees consist of a few people who have worked with Asda for 20+ years, but mostly a lot of new employees who stay for short periods of time before moving on. A majority of employees are aged 18-25 and will constantly talk about how much they have had to drink the night before, how hungover they are and how they wish they could be asleep at that current moment.
Hours are long and frequent early starts are a constant here.
The only enjoyable part of the job is finding someone that you can talk to and share the long hours with.
I learnt that ASDA is very slow to move out new things (such as new electronics to complete home shopping orders, came out 8 months after they were scheduled to roll out) and will leave clock in machines broken for a week or more without fixing.
Management were rarely there and impossible to get a hold of when needed.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Always want you to do overtime, Extremely mundane and repetitive, Very early starts
It's a good company to work for but
Counters Colleague (Former Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire11 August 2018
It's a good company to work for but if you end up on BIBC or counters prepare for a pretty rubbish time as the manager as these departments has the worst attitude of anyone I've work with. I spent 5 months on counters without set hours and got my hours every Thursday/Friday for the following week, sometimes I even got them on a Saturday.

The people you could work with on these departments are great but due to be amazingly short staffed sometimes things can be a bit highly strung.

Other departments don't seem anywhere near as bad but I can only comment on what I knew and looking back now if I would have known what I would have had to put with from that manager I probably wouldn't have even taken the job and I've worked everyday since I left school pretty much and I enjoy working but the short time I spent working under him was the worst experience I've had in work since I've left school (10 years).

So just think carefully if you apply for Havant and get offered a position on one of them departments.
Pros
Good pay, good colleagues
Cons
Uncertaint hours, short notice of shift patterns, poor management at department levels, very negative atmosphere, bullying on different levels
Great staff, hours take a toll on you
Home Shopping picker (Former Employee) –  Nottingham10 August 2018
Working unsocial hours in warehouse picking customers online orders. Easy job awful hours.Management had their favourites. Was no progression, would do job interviews then hire from stores instead.
Pros
Not in a store
Cons
Hours
productive company
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth8 August 2018
great place to work enjoyable atmosphere, with good employers that provide a fun work environment
good rates of pay and plenty of opportunities to progress and earn more income
Poor, avoid
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Kettering7 August 2018
Very bad management. I have never worked with such useless managements.
Unorganized, rota all over the place. Asda stuff treat you badly. For them you are not person, you are just a cleaner. REALLY BAD COMPANY TO WORK FOR -CITY!!!AVOID AVOID AVOID.
Pros
Cons
Not enough hours, bad pay, bad management, rude collegues
Asda
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galashiels, Scottish Borders7 August 2018
While working at Asda I worked in many different departments, learnt lots of different skills, how to make pizzas, baker bread, and mange stock rotation. The management teams were all good to work with and all got on. Enjoyed working for Asda.
Pros
flexable working hours
Cons
Not enough hours
Managers have no clue
Porter/Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 August 2018
The managers have no clue whats going on and don't care about you. All they care about is getting promotions and will use anyone to there. Constantly under staffed and expect the same results and all they go on about is how the wage bill is too expensive. They simply don't have a clue whats going on.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Managers

Want to know more about ASDA?

Ask a question
Overall nice first job
Asda Colleague (Current Employee) –  Ballyclare6 August 2018
Lovely staff and an easy workplace, would find it hard to get fired. Have had a great time here, I mostly work unsociable hours 5-9 Friday and Saturdays but the store is ran by under 25s at these times so you can have a great laugh
Good for a springboard job
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Torquay, Devon6 August 2018
Working for ASDA has its ups and downs from rude customers to colleagues who become like a second family.

The pay is good with a great 10% discount benefit which doubles to 20% on special events like Christmas.

A yearly bonus is also a great perk and this depends on how well your store progresses during the year, and super bonuses are achievable.
Pros
10% Discount, Chances of super bonuses and friendly colleagues
Cons
communication issues with management
Customer service job
Customer service assistant & Inventory control (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire6 August 2018
Deal with everything - enquiries - refunds, broken items, checking out stock, filling up stock

Asda had two shift for the day staff - early morning - 06.00am-14.00, 10.00 - 20.00.
Then night shift at 22.00pm- 06.00am - this was at a higher pay rate
Pros
Discount card
Overall good
Section Leader (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth6 August 2018
As a section leader, the service is a tough however rewarding environment. Having the capability to work under pressure is essential and must be willing to do so
shocking managemnet
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire6 August 2018
you do not get enough hours to support the family and housing costs.
a child could manage a shop better. Tesco is a much better firm to work for in this industry
Sunderland sh**
Section Leader (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear6 August 2018
Bullies that’s all they are. Make you feel worthless and nothing you do is ever enough. Do not work for them. Make you feel guilty for having a family or having days off. Pigs the lot of them
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, everything
A good place to work and to go forward from.
Home Shopping Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  London5 August 2018
I found this company very good to work for, they give you the chance you need and the training then its up to you. I feel that Asda are a good company who try to do right by their employees.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Management need to be more transparent
Boring
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oadby, Leicestershire5 August 2018
Did work experience at Asda and i regretted it very much. None of the staff enjoyed their job and would complain about the manager 24/7. Hardly get any breaks.
Pros
20min break
General Worklife
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Ayr5 August 2018
The benefit payout scheme is good, if you have the funds to put into it. There is overtime available, but usually the same people get the overtime hours before you have a chance. The company used to be family orientated, but with changes and management cut downs, the atmosphere went downhill.
Steer well clear
Service crew home shopping (Former Employee) –  Barking, Greater London5 August 2018
I started as a driver delivering home shopping. Knocked that on the head after a couple of days. Never enough time to complete the deliveries and very stressful.Became part of the service crew instead. loading vehicles, click and collect and putting items back on shelf that had been rejected. I'm 54 but fairly fit. Hard work but I enjoy a challenge and enjoyed the work. Pay wasn't great but I'm in a position where I don't have dependents anymore and mortgage free. Middle management were a nightmare always pushing for more effort because of understaffing issues.I was on the NEW contract that takes an hours pay if you work a nine hour shift. Never ever got an hours break..lucky to get 15 minutes. Middle management were always on my case to do more. I worked hard when I was there. Lost half a stone in weight from my efforts, which was one of the only advantages to working there. Worked with some really good colleagues and made some good friends. To summarise, poor management are never going to keep good staff.
Pros
Worked alongside some good colleagues
Cons
Wages. Management. Overworked. Unpaid breaktimes that one never gets.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASDA. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K