Arup Employee Reviews

Great work environment
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  London29 September 2017
Ambiance is conducive to productivity. Support is abundant when required. Staff are genial and helpful. Facilities are exquisite ranging from a well stocked library to printing and binding services.
Great company to work for
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Fitzroy Street, London25 June 2017
I started my training at Arup, they are a great company to work for as they help and support further education while you work. I started here after leaving college and completed numerous higher education diplomas and courses while working.

I was a CAD technican and would use marked up drawings and create 2D and 3D layouts using autocad/microstation/inroads.

The staff here were always friendly and willing to help if i had questions. A big bonus was every week a lunchtime talk would be held to teach us about various jobs that were going on within the company. Lunch would also be provided.
Pros
free lunches at talks, work parties, bonus's
Cons
long hours sometimes
Huge company and exciting projects
Technician (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear20 April 2017
Great company and every day you're doing something new. Lots of exciting projects across offices and an excellent networking company who are only growing in size.
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
Less competitive salary
Positive working enviroment
IT Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Tottenham Court Road Station29 March 2017
I was only there for a two week work placement so fill I am unable to fully comment on ARUP. However, from my time there the staff were friendly and welcoming, I dealt with company Directors who were pleasant to speak to.
Fantastic business.
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London13 February 2017
One of the best consultancies to work with. Extremely professional and genuine experts in their field of work. With projects spanning the globe, there are opportunities for everyone.
Pros
Professional culture.
Cons
none.
Very Experienced company
Industrial Trainee (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 January 2017
Arup is a good structured company with the tools to develop your career. Employees are offered training programs to continue development.
The work is very interesting always new project.
The company has many social groups to join.
Great place to work. Good team spirit
Project Planner (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 December 2016
Great place to work. Good team spirit. Good location and management. good opportunity to move higher in career path.
The managers was really cooperative and good working spirit
Great atmosphere, driven and intelligent coworkers
Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Winchester14 August 2016
A typical day will consist of desk work, looking through architects drawings, modelling in 3D computer packages to determine the suitability of structural designs and hand calculations.

Management are very friendly, knowledgeable and approachable.

The hardest part of my work is the number of new things that need to be learned, however, this is likely to slow as I progress through my career.
Friendly Environment
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Blythe Valley8 June 2016
Duties:
● CAD work
● Meeting deadlines
● Completing tasks within budget
● Helping colleagues

Very easy to get along with colleagues and team work.
Great place to work, innovative projects.
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  London, ENG31 May 2015
3D drawings
Mechanical design
Concept design

Young environment
Good responsibility from very first days.
Arup is an exceptional employer
Global Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ENG23 February 2015
Arup is one of those employers that people stay with for life. It is not unusual for people to have been with the company for 40 or 50 years. I, like many people, left Arup expecting the grass to be greener and went back within a year because it is such a lovely place to work.

It is a big organisation, with 10,000+ employees so it has all of the downfalls you would expect to go with that, but the benefits hugely outweigh the challenges.

The focus on doing good work and innovation rather than extracting money out of clients is a breath or fresh air in this very competitive industry. Profits are shared among all employees, so the company's success is each employee's success.

If I hadn't moved away from London, I would be working for them still. I would recommend them both as an employer and for anyone in need of engineering or consulting services.
Pros
Innovation, Global opportunities, Profit sharing
Cons
Central services located in London
UK DEPUTY TEAM LEAADER (Former Employee) –  newcastle upon tyne12 May 2014
No clear policies set out. Management does not like challenges or introduce new methods.
Pros
cnetral Location in Newcastle
Cons
Long hours no clear policies
Arup
Structural CAD Technician (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Scotland2 July 2012
I've undertaken several training courses to improve my knowledge and current skill set provided by Arup and would recommend this company to any graduate or trainee looking to apply. The types of work are various, from the standard to the unique,ideal for broadening horizons for those looking to experience different and interesting projects.
Pros
flexible benefits, excellant for training
Cons
limited advancement oppurtunities
Excellent work experiance
junior designer, CAD/BIM techcnician (Current Employee) –  Cardiff2 July 2012
Summer 2011 I have done my first summer work placement with ARUP. I have been working 5 days a week, 7,5h day with an hour lunch break. I have been working on various engineering projects,
using different software. Mainly worked on REVIT, SketchUP, and AutoCAD and ocsasionally on 3d max or Microstation.
I have learned about producing issue drawings, creating visuals, and BIM models, but also 2D AutoCAD drawings and a little bit or structural detailing. I had a great team to work with.
Everyone was friendly and helpful, which helped me to addapt very quickly. The hardest part of the job was the fact, that I couldn't stay on working on a permanent basis. I could not specify what was most enjoyable part as I did enjoy every part of the job and never felt frustrated or upset when going to work.
Pros
free hot drinks, water, flexibility in hours when needed.