Arup Employee Reviews

United Kingdom49 reviews
An honest company that has great values. You can progress at your own pace in any direction. I started out fixing kit and ended up working on huge projects and help combine teams together. Acoustics and ecology now work closely together. I really enjoyed my time there and am very sad to leave.
Pros
great staff, great wages and great work.
Cons
Never enough hours in the day.
Arup has a long history in engineering and design. You can find a great resources and internal forums for training and learning.
No equal opportunities for all and less diverse comparing to other international companies in the UK.

Low salary and stressful workplace. inexperienced PMs in some areas.

Financial issues of projects.

Pros
Good resources to learn
Cons
No equal opportunities for all, low salary, stressful
Arup trades on its reputation not on how creative its designers and consultants are.
They talk the talk but don’t walk it as being predominantly a white Middle aged male management team, as previous reviewer states unless you are an engineer you have no value as part of the project delivery team. Engineers have very little site experience if any . Therefor struggle with construction concepts.

conceptschallenges
Pros
Good cafe, nice people
Cons
Poor safety culture, Hr
Pleasant people to work with, and stress free environment (large business park). Good training opportunities to progress further within.Excellent communication cascaded to all staff regarding upcoming events.
Pros
Great surroundings
Cons
Difficult to travel to
Arup is a nice place to work with nice people, but they are resting on their laurels.

They have a great reputation in the industry as one of the top consultancies in the world, but in my experience they rely on this to win work, rather than letting consistency and quality of work doing the talking.

If they do not move with the times and embrace change, the cracks will show more, and they will fall behind in the Industry.

When I worked there everything was reactionary and last minute. They did not learn from their mistakes. Although the directors recognised the issues, they were not prepared to take the steps to improve this. People were expected to work late to make up for this, rather than update working behaviour and culture.

Generally people are nice, but the professionalism I witnessed was outdated and tired. The directors said they had to improve quality and consistency, but I found this just be lip service, and when it came to it they were not prepared to do anything.

Engineering knowledge and skill is obviously the core of an engineering business, but at times non-engineering staff were treated as lower class citizens. Although they were allowed to have a voice, this was often ignored or not taken seriously which made a mockery some non engineering staff. I have witnessed this often as an unfortunate culture of the construction industry, but I thought Arup would be better than this and see the value in all staff. Disappointingly, they are no different to other outdated companies who talk the talk, but when it comes to it, there is not a lot of substance
 - more...
Pros
Nice People and culture
Cons
Everything last minute, not prepared to learn from mistakes
So many great minds, you really get to learn so much from all of the great minds within the firm. As an employee owned company the business invests a lot into Research and Development.
Pros
Excellent knowledge sharing.
Cons
Can get competative.
I enjoyed my time at Arup and particularly the approach to flexible working, but was ready for a new challenge as I felt that opportunities for progression were somewhat limited.
Enjoyed my role with the company over the last 27 years. Leaving due to redundancy.
Enjoyed working with helpful and friendly professionals and have learned a great deal.
it was a great place to work at they where awsome to me the service as great they also didnt pay me because it was work exspirience so they was great and easy travel
Great experience on projects

Salary on the Low side but good benefits

Good environment at times

can be a bit stressful at other times

Its a large company though so this might be different for different groups
Working at Arup was a good collaborative experience and a challenging and rewarding environment. I would recommend anyone in the field of engineering to grasp the opportunity of employment here if it presents itself.
Arup has a relaxed and supportive atmosphere to work in. The problem is the business is to regional focused, people try to innovate the smallest problem if 4 locations and not collaborate.
Pros
flexible working, up to date hardware & software and excellent pension
Cons
to reactive to issues, don't promote staff for over performing
An innovative and forward thinking company that makes you want to contribute your best. Gained fantastic experience from their introduction week. Definitely recommend.
Good and collaborative working environment, interesting projects, friendly environment, very technical and less creative, good remuneration and benefits.
I had a wonderful 15 years working for Ove Arup, and would highly recommend it as a fantastic place to work. I only moved jobs because of the location, working in the West End and living in the outskirts of Essex/Suffolk. Great people, lovely job.
Pros
Great people, good opportunities
Cons
Long commute (possibly), depending on where you live.
Chance to participate in multiple national Rail upgrade projects and also multibillion new Rail projects such as HS2;
Knowledge development;

Flexible work time, flexible benefits;
Pros
Flexible work time, flexible benefits
Cons
Involvement only in Rail Telecoms business and nothing else so no big chance for development
Arup is a good company to work for, and they have a strong ethically driven working environment, there is a lot of flexibility for individuals to set up their work life balance to suit. One area Arup could be more fluid on is role definitions. They stick to very rigid descriptions that if a role dosn't quite fall into Arup management struggle to accommodate it in terms of career progression.
Pros
Profit share twice a year, cycle to work, office sponsored social outings
Cons
Can be long hours depending on the project.
I had a week of work experience in this company and it was absolutely terrific. The workers around are very polite and supportive and there are many facilities that can be used in order to help get to work.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Could take time to get to your working space.
Busy most days
I learned so much in areas of my work duties

Management is poor needs upgrading her skills and management with people

A mixed culture

There was no part of the job hard

Talking to staff assisting and supporting in all areas requested
Pros
Free fruit and cakes weekly in the adternoons
Cons
Long hours no flexi
Throughout a four week placement I experienced a great deal of exposure to the Fire Engineering Industry. Despite having no prior industry experience the team I worked with were supportive and gave me a great deal of experience working with clients, fire engineering softwares and calculations and technical reports. The work culture at Arup was fantastic. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people in Arup, everyone was so welcoming, supportive and encouraging.
Pros
Supportive Environment and Welcoming Staff
Cons
Short work placement
Respectful and collaborative culture promoting openness and knowledge sharing.
Innovation are in a forefront of the business strategy. Dedication is always rewarded and highly appreciated.