Arriva
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Arriva Employee Reviews

United Kingdom289 reviews
Controlling 120+ staff, overseeing all office duties and assuming responsibilities to help meet business need/demand. Good place to work, meeting great people and forging strong relationships. Good morale generally, people easy to engage with and mentor/ support staff where possible. Hardest part being appreciated and being supported. The most enjoyable part the people and customers.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Lack of support
I have worked in Arriva for16 years,I like the work environment, the training and certificate I received.
And the progressive pay rise,bonus and performance rewards.

All of which makes you want to do a bit more every day.

I had happy moments with Arriva.
Colleagues are good and friendly but management is not. Very old buses and everyday something happens. The running service is not value for money if I am a passenger.
I write this pre-COVID. Arriva has a great culture - both friendly but everyone hard working and experienced at what they do.

There is good collaboration across teams and businesses and everyone generally pulls together to make things happen.
I've been here 15 years now. Management, Union and colleagues are great to get along with. Buses are fantastic and maintained to the highest standards by the friendly bunch of engineers. Family friendly rota and stress free shifts thanks to plenty of running times.
Friendly people to work with, good company policies and management. Training was excellent, testing was difficult but passed and got my D1 licence. I found the actual job was easy driving from A to B picking up passengers but got bored with it.
Brilliant company to work for I would recomend anyone to work here,Management are great and drivers are always helpful pay could be better for new starters
Avoid if you value your mental health you will be stripped of every last single feeling you have apart from working. They go on like it's the best paid job ever it's not. No amount of money is worth missing out on family time as your bullied into work 13 out if 14 days and even then they will do everything they can to cut down the time your at home and get you back into work. Union is a joke and only helps out the employer hold grudges of previous employees and take it out on other family members. Can only accommodate to a select few drivers who's faces fit when it comes to child care. However couldn't help me out when it came to my disabled son they couldn't even help me with two days to pick him up from nursery and happily had me working when he had important hospital appointments. If your face fits you are laughing aslong as you dont ever say boo to a goose and keep your head buried in the sand
Buses constantly breaking down which isnt down to the mechanical side of things because the engineers hands are tied due to the company "saving money" so they can't even fix buses without cost coming into it. Company full of snakes and grasses that will even stalk your facebook to find somthing to get you into the office with. Your made to feel like one tiny incident will cost you your job accidents are bound to happen in this industry. Go through managers like the place has a revolving door. You wont actually get paid what you work and loose around 2500 a month on travelling time and time spent on the road as if you do a 15 hour day you will get paid 9 they don't explain how all
 - more...
The job itself is amazing, new people very relaxed great friends, good shifts. Only down fall is the union. The union run the company from your holidays to your shifts. If the union reps don’t like you they’ll take your money but will not represent you when required. The union Reps at the depot I worked at were very corrupt. The reps get re-elected each year with no actual election..... figure that out? If your face fits you’ll get on well.
Pros
Great managers, great shifts great colleagues
Cons
Union
Poor management. Poor upkeep of buses.i was there three months had 4 breakdowns.shame because it could be a good job.was a bus driver in the 1980s and it was a lot better managed.
Arriva traincare is a well paid job for working on day shifts. Great for home life finishing early 14:30 with a 6:00 start. Work fairly easy and shop floor people great to work with but management hard to get information quick enough
If you wont to be treated poorly by both managers and customers this is the job for you. Long split shifts 10+ hours a day any shortfalls in your float must be payed out of your own money at the end of your shift. Drunken rude customers daily. Worst 18 months of my life.
Form the start I should of know better to leave them early then stay for 2 years and now jobless, rubbish company trust me if you was a apprentice you had no chance to make it if they didn't like you or wanted you, even bus drivers have said they are bad coz of there blaming game.
Management who do not care about drivers welfare, if an incident happened where CCTV was required this would be used just to screw you over, if you need specified working times this will not be accommodated, forcing and pressuring you to run late sometimes even up to an hour late just so the management ‘don’t loose mileage’ unfair rotas where you get shoved on one big rota doing all routes.
KPI more important than anything. Two tier work place. Insufficient training, no progression, Too much red tape, report writing conflict between wards and PTS service.
The job itself is what you make of it, however the management are a joke and the balance between work and home life is so unbalanced. If your face fits you will be ok.
Pay is good but you still don’t get payed enough for the amount of unnecessary amount of abuse from other road users and members of the public for no other reason than you are a bus driver.
No job security at all

Management WILL always take any side other than the drivers

If you like having a social life not a job for you.

A lot of untrustworthy and two faced people who would love nothing more than to stab you in the back.
The were false miss leading information given regarding wages, I was working for 6 shifts and would be lucky to get £450 per week, you had to live at work to make over £500 , senior Management is nothing short of back stabbing and blame culture.
The job is easy Management make it difficult the Rotas are not great you have no life they change them every 6 weeks with only given 48 hrs notice. The pay is not good for what you have to put up with. The Buses are not safe they are repaired on a very small budget. You are not valued for the work you do. The only plus is the group of people you work with make it good.
Pros
Cons
To many to put down it’s stressful and depressing
The good things;
* Nearly always over time available if you want to work your days off but remember you can only dive so meany hours in a 2 week time frame.

* every 5-6 weeks you get a 4 day weekend

* Some work mates were good people

* The customers/passengers 90% of the time are grate

The bad things;

* management

* on site union reps to friendly with management, can’t be trusted to back you in any dispute.

* No work/life balance

* Long shifts, the average day being 10-11 hours long

* No progression or chance to move up or around in the company.

* Dealing with drunk, drudged up passengers

* Verbally abused daily

* It’s an “if your face fits” & “jobs for the boys” culture at Arriva they are yet to catch up with modern work place practices.

* Lack of safety for drivers who are made to drive buses unfit for service

* Guarantee phone calls on your days off asking you to work

* Holidays given at set times of the year so if you have kids & family then it’s difficult to change or swap with other divers & management or supervisors don’t help.

I could carry on with the list of negative things about working for arriva but I value my time to much & my advice is that you do the same & avoid at all costs unless you want a stop gap job,

Be warned tho I have friends in recruitment who have told that having bus diver experience on a CV it’s looked at as a negative unless your applying for a similar roll, due to everyone at some point having a bad experience with a bus driver, how true that is I don’t know.
Arriva is a great place to work and I would recommend here to anyone. The work is varied and the staff are excellent. I have enjoyed being at Arriva over the last year or so.