Arnold Clark Employee Reviews

Do not care about staff
Driver valet (Former Employee) –  Lingfield,26 December 2017
I worked for Arnold Clark as a driver in the rental side and enjoyed it, until I was in an accident, (a truck hit us from behind at traffic lights) I was a passenger & suffered bad whip lash and so did 2 others.
After 4 days we were asked to come back in although we told them we were still in pain.
They have no procedure for when this happens and don't care.
They don't even help with compensation and I didn't even get paid for my days off.
It is a real shame as I really enjoyed it and for a company that turns over such a profit which they like to boSt you would expect more from.
Pros
Good job and team
Car Valeter (Current Employee) –  Stirling, Stirlingshire12 November 2017
Great company to work for training is good but I have 12 years experience in valeting managers are great too always there to help you if needed and always happy to help
Pros
Cons
Parking
Bad managers
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Inverness10 November 2017
People don't leave companies they leave bad managers . Unfortunately this company has more than it's fair share of them.

Small company thinking big but using skeleton staff structure to do more than maximum workload.
Pros
30 quid gift vouchers twice a year, £500 off the car price
Cons
Long hours, no flexiblitly, bad management style.
Horrible place to work
Product Genius (Former Employee) –  Inverness8 November 2017
Horrible place to work managers are bullies the training you get is pointless you don’t learn anything most of the Employees are on drugs there is no Communication wound stay away from Arnold Clark no tea breaks work stupid hours don’t get any thanks for it don’t get any time back
Pros
Get to drive nice cars
Cons
The management
It is a hard place to progress in.
Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City7 November 2017
Arnold Clark is a hard and challenging place to progress in. It offers many roles with an ever changing environment. It's not a bad place to start a career with but there is not much room for progression.
Pros
Plenty of benifits
Cons
Never think about their staff as the equipment is outdate.
Misleading
SALES EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  North Lanarkshire4 November 2017
The job I agreed to sign up to which was advertised on the website as well as confirmed in the interview was not the job I thought when my contract came through.

The advertise more money on a 5 day week structure when the reality is that you work a 60+ hour week, one day off for only £16860 per annum when the website states £20000 starting salary.

Yes, the commission structure would be beneficial, but the fact that you do not get training until 2-3 weeks after you are placed in the role does not help. It should be given the first few days to ensure you know what you are doing.

Really wouldn't recommend this role unless you are experienced in this field and role and you know exactly what you're expecting.
Pros
Lots of benefits if you are there for a long time
Cons
Long hours, little to no breaks, less than minimum wage.
productive
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 October 2017
well payed job as long as the job is done, great management and work/social life balance. hardest part is the job itself pressure is very high and is tough
Good pay poor work life balance
Prebooking Agent (Current Employee) –  Glasgow26 October 2017
Good basic rate and opportunity to make fairly good commission but that is where it ends! Poor management, lack of communication and a fairly limited training system.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Long Hours
akdh
New & used car sales executive (Former Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester24 October 2017
good money but most corrupt company ever, illegal going on every day like signing of finance documents not good energy . bullies within the organisation they was okay with me but seen some terrible things happen to good people
Pros
money
Cons
you will go to prison if you are not careful
Very poor management
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Leeds And Bradford, Yorkshire24 October 2017
Arnold Clark can be a brilliant place to work if you are the GM’s best mate, you get handed deals and can easily walk away with £50,000 a year. But if you’re not his best mate, be prepared to work long hours doing all the worst jobs, just to walk away with minimum wage at the end of the month.

It appears that all the crooks and Mis-sellers are well looked after, if you actually do your job properly and look after your customers the managers don’t want to know.

There is no work life balance and you often have to stay back later several nights a week.

You do get a company car, but when you actually work out the difference in your salary for having the car, you might as well buy your own car.

You can meet some really good people there, but they won’t be there long as the culture and management in the place is all wrong, so enjoy them whilst they last.

Give it a go and see for yourself, maybe then you’ll understand why the staff turn over rate is so high at 82%.

Good luck.
Pros
Some good people.
Cons
Long hours. Bad pay. Bad management.
productive
Valeter/Driver (Former Employee) –  Ayr19 October 2017
enjoyed my time within arnold clark was always kept busy and on the go, shifts were always productive. The usual shift consisted of valeting cars/vans for customer collection for hiring. Driving people to airports.
Usless company evil managers
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ratho, City of Edinburgh19 October 2017
Worked there for 10 months expected to do lots on top of heavy workload but not get paid for it having a life outside work came across as a bad thing low pay for what you were expected to do.
The odd weekend shift turned in to every saturday that coupled with no help from managers resulted in a horrible place to work.
Stay clear if you can save yourself any stress.
Pros
Gtg staff
Cons
Managers
Fine
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Stirling18 October 2017
I found working for Arnold Clark an acceptable place to work. Overall the staff were lovely & made the workplace enjoyable. They are what made it a nice place to be.
Its what you make it
Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  Scotland11 October 2017
Good company ethics but wanting/expecting more than achievable, can be a good place to work if collegues help make it but being pilled with more jobs outwith fixing a vehicle is rather pointless. Makes it hard to reach your targets.
Pros
Good team in the workplace, company benefits
Cons
Long hours, 6 days working weeks every 2 week rotation
lies lies and more lies
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  glasgow4 October 2017
being trained to lie to customers

no job progression

management don't want to know workers

all for one, one for all attitude

no training structure
Long Hours can pay off.
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City28 September 2017
A typical day at work with Arnold Clark involves a quick team meeting in the morning follow up by organizing your day and chasing up any customer quotations from the day before, and then looking to get more customers at your desk throughout the course of the day. You may also be asked to get stock cars to take photos of, or do a site walk to improve presentation of stock. Throughout the day you will also be expected to prospect customers and try to create appointments for customers to come and see you if they are looking to upgrade their car.

What I learned at Arnold Clark is that hard work can pay off. The more effort you put into your day to day work, means that you can walk home at the end of the month with more money in your bank. You have to be proactive within the car sales industry and you have to meet your allocated targets to really reap the benefits.
It's not the kind of job where you can be lazy as there is always something for you to do. In a short sense, what I learned from working as a car salesman, is: Work hard, Play hard.

The management of the job can go one of 2 ways. You can have sales managers/ general managers who are greedy and want the branch to strive but at the cost of salesmen under stress, or because they are mistreated. Or you can have a sales manager/ General manager who wants their salesmen to strive and earn as much as they can by helping them along the way and motivating the team in order for them to perform better.

The workplace culture at Arnold Clark can be very strange to adjust to as there are always new salesmen coming and
  more... going. You will always have senior salesman who have been there from what feels like the dawn of time, and you will always get the gap stop employees or the salesman who cant cope under the long hours and stressful environment. The workplace culture, generally revolves around getting on with other people very well as, if you aren't able to get on with your team, then your days will be long as you are there a lot of your time. It's almost a second home to you, and if you can't get on well with others you will struggle, even with your customers.

The hardest part of the job is by far the amount of time you spend there. Its a lot of hours and you can miss out on a lot of family time as the work/personal life balance can be very unfair.

The most enjoyable part of the job, easily, is making customers happy. If a customer walks away from your desk happy with their new purchase and drives away in their new car with a grin on their face, then its a job well done. Things aren't meant to be difficult for customers, and while this isn't always the case, there are always going to be mistakes happening and customers feeling upset over things that may not be within our control. But at the end of the day, we are there to assist them in making the second biggest purchases of their lives, so why not make it as smooth as possible for them and feel happy about it when a customer can drive away complaint free and give you that well deserved positive feedback that can make your day.
Pros
Income can be lucrative if done well.
Cons
Bad work/life balance.
motor trade
Spray Painter (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow25 September 2017
A day at work in arnold clark is always challenging and always learning every day. Every day is different one day i would be doing stock checks and orders and the next i would be doin check ins with customers. Doing both theses while doin my own job as a spray painter. preparing the cars for paint and also polishing them once they are finished. Same as everywhere not everyone will get on but always work as a team. The hardest part of the job was preparing the panels for paint. If you dont prepare it correctly then when u are spraying this can take affect and then cause major problems along the line and cost alot of money to rectify. Paint spraying is a very challenging and time consuming job. The most enjoyable part is seeing the customers face when the job is out the door. A happy customer makes a happy work place.
Pros
Learn something new everyday
Cons
traveling
Totally avoid
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  West Midlands23 September 2017
Reading these reviews like most you feel that it can't be as bad as people make out and yea there's good and bad in most companies and also some people just moan ..
Advice please read them all carefully as they are right in 12 months I saw 36 people leave , this speaks volumes and guess what they don't care your just a number.

Horrible company with poor managers
Pros
Cons
Mangement
Ok Job
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow20 September 2017
Good staff and benefts if you drive; wages are let down. Not good for job advancement. Ok for a job but if you are well skilled look elsewhere.
Hours are ok and quite flexible with hiolidays
Great work place to learn
Apprentice Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Anniesland17 September 2017
I had my day to day apprentice tasks then I worked with my mentor and I learned a lot of basic service things then I moved to a different mentor and I learned more difficult tasks about electrical and taking part engines with I learned a lot about cars that way.