Arnold Clark Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow25 May 2018
I have been with the business for nearly 11 years and i have had lots of opportunities to develop.

Fun and friendly culture. Every day is unique and no two days are the same. It’s fast paced environment but thats what I like it challenges me.
Pros
Feel Valued, Good Benefits
Cons
I cant think of any keep up the good work!
Encouragement and Opportunites
Training & Development (Current Employee) –  Nationwide25 May 2018
Customer and employee focused company, training and development is available to all, a good open inclusive working culture.
Hours can be long but hard work is noticed and progression is available. In my role many people I work with have been with the company for 10+ years which is a fantastic indicator.
Management are very encouraging and opportunities are open to all.
Arnold Clark is a forward thinking company in touch with consumers and staff alike.
Happy Days!
INTERNAL REGIONAL RECRUITMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Manchester25 May 2018
Great company to work for. The training and support from day one has been fantastic and no matter who you speak to within the company everyone gets treated with the same level of respect.
The management are always available and very attentive of any needs/requirements you may have.
There is so much going on within Arnold Clark and it is great to be constantly involved in new ideas and the latest breaking news,
I would really recommend working for Arnold Clark and becoming part of a growing, successful company.
Pros
Support and progression
Cons
None applicable!
Arnold Clark
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester area25 May 2018
Great company to work for, been with company 10 years and they provide great opportunities if you are willing to work hard and rise to the challenge you face with pleasing customers. Best motor dealer in the industry and wouldnt work for anyone else. Great communication from directors and the company explain there reasons for any changes in the company so everyone is aware of what we are trying to achieve.

Great daily reviews by our customers and easy to retain there custom when we go over and above at every opportunity.
Pros
Salary package, Job satisfaction
great place to work
sales executive (Current Employee) –  linwood vauxhall24 May 2018
great company to work with, great bunch of guys and girls as co workers. money is great and i'm left alone to get on with my work. Ok the hours are long but where else can you earn this sort of money with no degrees or highers.
Pros
company car and great earning potential
Best company ever
Sales Executive/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  linwood citroen24 May 2018
I have worked for the company for almost 2 years and I don't think there is any better company to work for. you need to be challenging and aim high.
I have never earned as much money as I do now. I am 22 and I do not have a degree or anything but if you are money orientated that's the job for you
Pros
money, challenge, soft working
Cons
nothing
Sales Review
Senior Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire23 May 2018
I have been with Arnold Clark for three years now! They are a multi billion pound family run business who pay very well. They do lots of work for local charity's and have now took a huge focus on making it a great place to work. I am currently employed as a six day Senior Sales Executive which means as a rule I get one day of a week. However for me this is fine because I have always been a person who likes to work hard and bump up my commission. My dads a Pharmacist Manager, brother is a doctor and my pay slips are coming in more! ( No student loan to pay off too.)

They have now introduced a 5 day sales role which is great for the people who want that extra day off to spend with there friends and family.

Last week I went to a think customer rewards night in Glasgow Hilton Hotel where they put on live entertainment, three course meal, free stay at the hotel in a upgraded room and also Unlimited Free drinks. The night was amazing and really did show that Arnold Clark reward there staff well.

The branch I work at ended up wining £1800 Voucher to spend on a staff night out. I shall say no more!
Pros
Money, Job security, Incentives, Private Health Care
Cons
Branch Closes at 8pm
excellent place to work
Van Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield21 May 2018
Arnold clark is one of the best and easiest comapanys to work for I w as hop0eing for full time I hope to work for them again in the future absolutely a brilliant place to work and the staff help u out no end nomatter what ur problem is
Avoid avoid avoid
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Dundee City13 May 2018
Has to be the worst place I've worked in 28 years managers are bullys favouritism threatening behaviour they are all sick in the head the only good thing is 99% of the staff are good people
Pros
Cons
To many
21 May 2018

Hi – Lynne here.

Thanks for leaving us a review of your time with us. I’m sorry it turned out to be such a negative experience.

I was concerned to hear your comments regarding bullying. We have a zero-tolerance policy on this and I am saddened you didn’t bring this to our attention earlier, when you were under our employment.

Thanks again for your feedback and I wish the best of luck in your future endeavours.

Arnold Clark, Group Head of People

Wish I had never started
Designer (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow3 May 2018
I knew within my first week it was a bad move to work there, but the pay was decent and I was saving for a mortgage. A lot of senior management changes over the years and nothing every really changed. The whole department is de-motivated and nothing is being done about it. Middle "senior" management needs ripped out, too many people who are only in the position because they've been there long enough and little to no skill at actual management. bullying is prevalent and nothing is done about it.
Pros
£30 to spend in the cafe
Cons
Office in the middle of nowhere, bad management, no progression
21 May 2018

Hi – Lynne here. Thank you for taking time out to leave a review and I’m sorry you are having such a negative experience.

Firstly, I was happy to hear you were satisfied with the wage structure in your role, our pay structure is very competitive in relation to what other companies have to offer. However, I was highly concerned by the cons you mention. Our managers are trained to be there to support, guide and get the best from our staff. Managers should be appointed on their ability to show these qualities.

I was disturbed to hear your comments regarding bullying in the workplace. Here at Arnold Clark we have a zero-tolerance approach to bullying whether it comes from management or any other role in the business. I would urge you to contact our HR team on this matter. We hope to hear from you soon.

Arnold Clark, Group Head of People

You get out what you put in.
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Arnold Clark22 April 2018
As with most jobs, the management will make or break it. My site has a good balance, with a tough but fair GM and two very enthusiastic Sales Managers. We're one of the busier sites with a lot of natural footfall, so there's less emphasis on prospecting than other dealerships - although we are still expected to do our fair share of a minimum ten phone calls a day as a backup for the inevitable quiet days with no walk-ins.

The hardest part to adjust to is the competition between Sales Execs. It is very much dog-eat-dog, but there's a lot of laughs and fun had between the team too. You learn very quickly who you can lean on for help, and who will take a customer off you at the first opportunity. From what I've heard about other Arnold Clark sites, while mine is considered notoriously competitive, we're actually a close-knit team. Almost half of the current Sales Execs have been there for several years, and the turnover is much lower than most dealerships.

There's a better work/life balance if you're on the 5 day working week (anyone starting after Nov 1st 2017 will be) - and the pay is still pretty decent. Sell 20 cars a month with 2 products in each deal, and you can earn £40k.

You have a lot of tools to help with converting enquiries to sales - the platform for building deals is a million times better than anything else I've seen at other companies, plus the cars are all ridiculously cheap. There is a decent training programme at the Sales Academy, and I picked up a lot of handy tips for overcoming objections from there.

If you're brand new to car sales, it's a
  more... brilliant company to join and get thrown in at the deep end. You will constantly be busy, there's no time to be bored, and if you're prepared to really, really push yourself to smash the targets, there is good money to be made. If you're already in the trade, it can be a bit of a culture shock at first, but it took me very little time to appreciate how good the Arnold Clark model actually is once you get your head around it. I work in one of the franchise sites rather than Motorstore, and would 100% recommend it to anyone interested in joining the motor trade.  less
Pros
Great earning potential, structured training programme, 5 day working week
Cons
Few if any breaks, no sick pay, deals can be taken off you for spurious reasons
14 May 2018

Hi – Lynne here. Firstly, thank you for your review, and all the points you mention.

It’s fantastic to hear that you enjoy the day to day here at Arnold Clark. We pride ourselves on being flexible, our new 5 day working week has proven highly successful for our sales staff. I’m so happy you feel we empower our sales employees by providing with the best tools to be able to maximise the chance of reaching their targets, which many of our staff do.

Our uncapped commission structure also allows our sales teams to earn a highly competitive salary along with many staff benefits, including private healthcare and fantastic sales incentives. You also mentioned our training programme, which is something we are very proud of. Our state of the art facility in Glasgow gives our new staff the best possible chance to be a success going forward.

Now for the cons. I was concerned to hear your comments regarding your breaks, we would expect all our staff to have adequate breaks throughout the working day. This is certainly something I would advise you to raise with your general manager if you haven’t already done so. Sick pay is usually honoured as per the terms in your employee handbook when joining the company. An example would be if you have been with the company over two years, you would typically be entitled to five days’ sick leave. With regards to your sales, we would urge you to get in touch with our HR department if you feel that any deal is being removed for an invalid reason. You can contact our HR team in confidence.

Thank you again for all your feedback. I wish you many more  more... happy years as an Arnold Clark employee.

Awful place to work
Rental Avisor (Former Employee) –  Seafield18 April 2018
Not good
Dont advise working there
Managmenet and training should be better
Only advantage is you get to drive vehicles
The people make it fun good laugh with them all I will miss the people more than the job itself.
Pros
Cons
Discount on cars
14 May 2018

Hi, Lynne here. Thank you for leaving a review and I’m sorry you had a negative experience as a rental advisor with us.

I was concerned to hear your comments with regards to training with the company. Our state of the art training centre in Glasgow gives our staff the ideal first step in starting a successful career with us. We would also expect on the job training in the branch to be of a high standard. Though you haven’t elaborated on the management side of things, we would expect our managers to help you every step of the way and to be approachable at all times if anything is wrong.

You also note in the cons sections ‘discount on cars’. One of the benefits of being an Arnold Clark employee is that you are entitled to £500 off of the window price of new or used cars. Not only this, your spouse or close family member living at your address is able to benefit from this too. You also receive a half price service plan, half price Autocare warranty and low flat rate of finance.

Finally, we would like to wish you the very best in your future career.

Contract cleaner
Contract Cleaner (Former Employee) –  London road motor store15 April 2018
I worked in Arnold Clark showroom as cleaner for 3 years was working for contractors but I loved this job Arnold Clark staff always friendly and made feel as part of team and also giving me vouchers as included in part of there team really enjoyed my time working there pity the contractors I worked for complete cleaning services not worth any star rating however did enjoy my win on claim I had for discrimination and constructive dismissal although wish I stil had wee job here as miss working with Arnold Clark staff.
Pros
Friendly staff
14 May 2018

Hi, Lynne here. Thank you for leaving a review and I’m delighted you had such an enjoyable time working for the company contractor.

I was happy to hear you were made to feel so welcome by staff from Arnold Clark. Our staff are at the core of what we do and we take pride that you were made to feel part of the team. We genuinely feel like we are one big family.

We wish you all the best in future, and you never know, we might see you working for us in future!

Product Genius
Product Genius (Current Employee) –  Scotland10 April 2018
Very good company to work for as you get the feel that it is a family owned company rather than a PLC. Very generous with charities as well. Training you get is good and you leave feeling that you have learned something. Typical day involves taking pictures and videos of cars for the website, test drives with customers and handovers as well. You will occasionally have to answer the phone but they do have a receptionist. Good job to ease you into sales if that is what you are wanting to do. Only marks I would put down for myself was being told that I would get the next sales job available but they are now advertising for someone else. Every second weekend off so able to plan ahead rather than having a different rota every week.
Pros
Good time off. Decent wage.
Cons
Quieter days are long.
14 May 2018

Hi, Lynne here. Thank you for such a positive review! We appreciate you taking time out to provide us this feedback.

It sounds like you really enjoy working for the business and it’s fantastic you were able to outline the job role to prospective new employees. Our geniuses are so important to the business as they provide our customers with a fantastic experience, we really do appreciate the job you are doing.

You note about job progression within the Group. There is definitely room for progression from the genius role. Rest assured if you keep performing to a high standard you will be in prime position to obtain a sales advisor role, don’t give up!

Here’s to many more happy years working together.

Work/Life balance not good
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow9 April 2018
The actual job here was enjoyable. Typical day at work would be making outbound calls and taking inbound calls, booking hire vehicles for customers, extending or off hiring vehicles. The hardest part was the hours, I worked 8-5.30 Monday to Friday. For me I had to leave my house at 7am and wouldn't get home until 6.30 -7pm. Days were too long.
Pros
1 hour lunch / £30 a month to spend in cafe
Cons
paid less for being under 18
14 May 2018

Hi, Lynne here. Thanks for taking time to leave us a review. I’m really sorry things didn’t feel great when you worked for us.

As you may well know we try to be as accommodating as possible with regards to our working hours. 8am–5.30pm Monday to Friday is something we would hope most employees would feel positive about, however we understand that depending on location this could mean long days for some members of staff. As you may know we introduced Flexitime recently, which also gives our staff a range of benefits to help their work/life balance.

I was happy to hear your positive comments. Many of our staff here rave about the amount of time they get for lunch breaks, this keeps our staff refreshed throughout the working day.

Finally, I wish thank you again for your review and wish the best of luck in your future endeavours.

Arnold Clark Group Head of People

Mechanic Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear3 April 2018
Hours are pushed, always demanding overtime but overall good company, colleagues are very very supportive as a team, few members let it down, sales team and general managers are very understanding and supportive
Pros
Well paid
Cons
Excessive overtime (working until 4 on Saturdays)
14 May 2018

Hi, Lynne here. Thank you for taking time to leave us a review about your current working conditions.

As you will know, being a technician is a very demanding role, but I’m glad to see that you seem to be revelling in it. We recently launched Flexitime for our technicians, which gives you the fantastic benefit of building up hours to be able to use as future holidays. Something no doubt you will take advantage of. I’m also happy to hear that you are happy with our wage structure, we do believe we offer a highly competitive salary compared to our competitors.

You note in your cons about the excessive overtime. At the moment the company is going through a very busy stage of the year and we have been heartened by our staff’s commitment to the cause by signing up for overtime, we really do appreciate this. Hopefully by taking on these extra hours you will be able to take more time off throughout the rest of the year.

Finally, I wish you many more happy years with the business.

Arnold Clark Group Head of People

easy going with nice people
IT support (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow19 March 2018
working here was a good experience and I met nice people, worked hard, learned about how certain tasks are tackled in the company and received decent training, money was ok, good experience overall.
Pros
nice people and enviroment
Cons
Most stressful valet job ever
Valeter (Former Employee) –  Preston11 March 2018
Poor working conditions, disorganised way of working. Management out of touch with the real issues. Notice only the good reviews here come from management. Unhappy staff results in many unhappy customers.
HR department are constantly posting lies in their replies on here. Saying that issues have been resolved when they have not. They never get resolved because everyone has too much work to do. Poor support from HR and higher management. Avoid this company at all costs!
Pros
Staff discount if you want to buy a car
Cons
Long and stressful hours, Unorganised style of working
Walking on Egg shells
Booking Agent (Current Employee) –  Glasgow10 March 2018
Not the best enviroment to work in like being back at school and management are always correct until they are proven wrong and they dont accept responsibility
Pros
5% disc at Vodafone
Cons
Long days and hours
Working environment
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Elgin9 March 2018
Good working environment, working hours need looked at. Working every second saturday not contracted. Good salary. Health and safety good. Benefits of working for company good.
Benefits
Cons
Working saturdays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arnold Clark. Our community is ready to answer.