Arnold Clark Employee Reviews

Managers and Directors don’t listen to staff
Manager (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands14 November 2018
Be very sceptical about working for this company, I guarantee they are looking to get rid within the first 2 years. Legally they can and will let you go with no justification. After 2 years they have to answer for their actions. If you are considering a job check the average length of service, it’s not long. They say they are a supportive organisation but everyone is worried about their jobs.
Pros
There isn’t any
Cons
Work under pressure all the time
Amazing colleagues
Greetings and Hospitality Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Salford12 November 2018
It was an amazing company to work for but as time went on i found that a lot of the management are very intimidating, patronising, condescending and your just a number to them and not a person with feelings.
Pros
Friends and family discounts
Cons
High turn over of staff, long hours, not allowed to be part of a union.
Be yourself
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway10 November 2018
Working a 5 day week in the motor trade was great, so you can have a work/life balance, each day is different from busy days when you have plenty of customers to talk to on the pitch and sales calls to make so you are kept going, other days you wont talk to a single person and it is a bit soul destroying if you are constantly knocked back by the old "no thanks just looking"
Full training is given and really sets you up to do the job from understanding the sales process to FCA training to keep you right when you have a customer who wants finance.

Worst parts of the job, getting knocked back, getting paid peanuts for selling high profit cars when the business produces videos on how much profit they have made, having to watch your back as management will not back you up if a deal or two are stolen from you.
Feeling like you are still in school as one of the Managers constantly picked me out with little comments and pulled me up for small mistakes making me feel so small and like I was being bullied which ultimately caused me to become so disinterested in a job I loved that I had to leave.

Best parts of the job, selling a car is an excellent feeling knowing you have helped a customer to find a car that is perfect for them, you get to meet lots of new people.
The long and the short of it, it can be a satisfying job but be prepared for a lot of downtime,
Hold your hands up to any mistakes and be as open and honest as possible.
You will get stabbed in the back it just comes with the nature of the job.
Have a sense of humor and don't be afraid to laugh at yourself.
Be
  more... yourself and DO NOT let anyone push you around or talk down to you as you are there to do a job too  less
Pros
£500 discount on your next car, full training, selling feels excellent
Cons
Long Hours, work culture similar to school
Horrible Management supervisors
Driver/Valeter (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside7 November 2018
Think Twice about going for a job with Arnold Clark, The interview is good i think the management get a kick from the interview process makes them feel big shots, there is a culture where the lower your job the worse you are treated like something they stood on, they the management will shout at you in front of other staff customers , to make them feel good, and excert there authority even though you have only started , the new starts are hounded with no training the staff already there don't want to help they want to see you fall flat on your face so you end up sacked, why the HR department don't ask questions regarding the turnover in certain departments is beyond me, i was told that the management in Arnold Clark was shocking but i never thought it would be so bad, the management supervisors work there way up and have no skills with how to treat people , they Arnold Clark make it out they are this and that but they are plain and simple Bullys , the way i was treated was disgusting , the previous worker was sacked i was picked on within hours enough said.
Pros
Cons
Everthing
Great working environment with a brilliant team
Administration Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Glasgow25 October 2018
I left a job where I was employed for over 20 years around 2 years and it's the best decision I have ever made, I can honestly say I have never looked back. Great company to work for and management always keep me involved in developments and changes throughout my department. The fact that approximately 80% of my team have been there over 10 years says it all really. The benefits are great and for such a large company I have never felt like just a number.
Pros
Great team, approachable management and encouragement to promote within the company
Cons
So far none
5 November 2018

Hi! What a wonderful review of your current role at Arnold Clark. It’s great to how well it’s going!

I’m so glad to hear how valued you feel compared to a job you were in for over 20 years, we must be doing something right! I was happy to hear you enjoy the range of benefits you receive in being an Arnold Clark employee.

It really sounds as if you have a close-knit team where you’re based, this is exactly the type of environment we’d expect when working with us. Going by your job description it also looks like you’ve been able to progress your career, which is something that is hugely important to us.

Thanks again for your review!

Arnold Clark – Group Head of People

Would be a fantastic company if the management backed you up and you had some cover
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Newcastle-under-Lyme25 October 2018
I had a great time working at Arnold Clark and the pay was fantastic however it did let me down in terms of satisfying customers. I felt that when it came to giving the customers what was required there was no back up and we had to sort all that out ourselves which ended up detrimental to our career.
Pros
Pay.
Cons
Long hours and poor management.
5 November 2018

Hi! Lynne here. Thank you for taking time out to leave us a review.

I was delighted to hear you had such a great time working for us, it’s very important to us that our staff are happy in their job. You state you had no back up in terms of what you could give our customers, I don’t know exactly what you mean with regards to this but I do take your comments on board.

You have mentioned poor management as one of the cons and we encourage our employees to contact the People Team in confidence if there are ever any concerns at work. Unfortunately without further information from you we are unable to look into what your concerns were.

Thank you again for getting in touch.

Arnold Clark – Group Head of People

hard work
car valeter (Former Employee) –  Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire13 October 2018
very hard work washing cars, staff very friendly with the odd one with an attitude. accepted also cultures of life. management was great always giving feed back
Pros
asda across the road for lunch
Cons
hard work
15 October 2018

Hi – Lynne here! Thank you for your review of your time working for Arnold Clark. It seems overall that it was a pleasant experience!

I was happy to hear that you had such a rapport with your colleagues. Having that positive morale is always beneficial to any type of role you may be in. Your only con was hard work, it is a challenging role but I’m happy to hear this didn’t seem to hinder you too much!

Thank you again for getting in touch and I wish you all the best in future.

Arnold Clark - Group Head of People

15 October 2018

Thank you again for getting in touch and I wish you all the best in future.

Arnold Clark - Group Head of People

Poor management style
Car Valeter (Current Employee) –  North West30 September 2018
Very poor place to work...management constanly change the goalposts...overtime never paid correctly...the atitude is its sold its has to go...no matter if its 5 minutes before the end of the shift...salesmen rarely put correct imformation onto delivery systems
..month end is a nightmare
The amount of deliveries never take into account the poor state many cars arrive in
Pros
Cons
Long hours poor conditions
9 October 2018

Hi – Lynne here. Thank you for leaving this review and I’m sorry you’re having a troubling time at the moment.

I was concerned with many of your comments. I take on board your comments regarding long hours, and I know our valet teams have a challenging role as there are strict deadlines to be met. However, while sometimes it’s important to go the extra mile, even if it means staying a bit later, things should run more smoothly than the situation you describe. Please remember our People Team can be contacted in confidence if you have major concerns in your role; we would be more than happy to help.

I really hope you find the right balance soon and things start to improve in your branch.

Job is great!
Genius (Current Employee) –  Inverness, Highland26 September 2018
Having joined the company over 4 months ago it's been a joy to work for! Management is great in BMW hard but fair, but driving nice cars doing videos for customers that want to buy cars and going out in test drives would highly recommend BMW Inverness branch for sure! Moving into Service Department soon and looking forward to the challenges ahead and continuing my work in Arnold Clark for many years to come!
Pros
Nice Cars to drive brilliant management
Cons
Long hours but days do go fast pace, also dont get a chance to get company car
9 October 2018

What a fantastic review! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave it – we really appreciate the feedback.

It sounds like you’re enjoying your job, and getting the most out of the varied work and the fast-paced environment. We truly value progression and it sounds as if you have a great structure within the branch – good luck with your new role in the service team!
I wish you many more fulfilling years with the company and look forward to seeing you progress in the future.

Avoid
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire18 September 2018
Stressful workplace and no life balance. Unrealistic targets for a branch that’s dead and management seem to be brainwashed into thinking it’s the best branch and place about. Inter branch cliques and divide between two buildings one building gets left to do all the rubbish work as in moving cars going for lunches for everyone as a new start when your not getting lunch yourself.
Pros
Cons
Long hours. Management. No home life. Stress.
9 October 2018

Hi, Lynne here. Thank you for getting in touch with your review. I’m sorry your time with us hasn’t been what we’d expect.

I was concerned by many of your comments. The work-life balance of our sales teams is definitely something we have looked into recently. A new five-day working week, along with earlier finishes on a Friday, were introduced to combat this. In terms of your targets, we would expect these to incentivise you and be achievable, as long you work diligently. Please remember you can contact the People team in confidence if you have any concerns at work.

Thank you for getting in touch and I hope you strike that right balance soon.

can make a career here
Sales (Former Employee) –  multi17 September 2018
great company to work for, hours are very hard but they are changing them to less now.

power mad managers ruin the company and far to hard ball.

pay is excellent if you work hard and great rewards.
9 October 2018

Hi! Thank you for taking time out to review your time working for Arnold Clark. We truly appreciate all feedback.

It was lovely to hear your comments regarding salary and how great a company we are to work for. We work hard to make sure our staff are as happy as possible in their roles with us. The only concern you had was with regards to managers. We certainly don’t want our managers to be trained to act in this manner. This is definitely something we will look into.

Thank you again for this review and I wish you all the best.

Arnold Clark Group - Head of People

The best Introduction to the motor trade
Senior Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Staffordshire13 September 2018
I cannot thank Arnold Clark enough for my introduction the best industry in the world.
Immense training, financial rewards, internal progression and value of product and immense process
Pros
process, remuneration
Cons
long hours but rewarded well
20 September 2018

Hi, Lynne here. It’s fantastic to hear you enjoyed your time working for Arnold Clark. It really seems we did things right for you!

You mention training, salary and progression in your review. We couldn’t agree more! Our state of the art training centre GTG Glasgow
gives our staff the best start to life working for us. In terms of progression, we always look to promote from within. Show hard work
and the opportunities will be there for you!

Thank you again for this review and I wish you all the best in your future career.

Sales
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Dundee12 August 2018
Low Pay
High Commission.
Long Hours you reap the reward

But you have to manage your time, your holiday, your hours to be available when the customer needs and the revenue follows..
14 September 2018

Hi – Lynne here. Thank you for getting in touch with a review of your role at Arnold Clark.

As you quite rightly point out, our sales teams have to be proactive and manage their own time, focusing on our customer’s needs – and that’s reflected in the commission they earn. We feel that at Arnold Clark the overall package we offer our sales teams is industry-leading, and our commission structure can’t be beaten. You will already know that sales roles in this industry can lead to longer hours but hopefully you can also see the effort we’re making to try and help with work-life balance.

Thank you again for leaving us this review, I wish you every success and hope you continue to reap the rewards of all your hard work.

Learn fast, good money
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Stafford7 August 2018
Self confidence a feeling of being self employed is key to work here. If you can do that you will enjoy the perks that come with it. Great staff focused on fantastic customer service.
Pros
Great commission structure
14 September 2018

Hi, thank you for taking time out to leave us this short review of your current position at Arnold Clark.

As you know, we have a commission-based structure for our sales roles, like all our competitors in the industry. I was delighted to see that both you are your colleagues concentrate on delivering high levels of customer service, that’s what we like to hear! Your one con is the hours, as you know this type of role isn’t your typical 9-5, however we have introduced the five-day working week and early finishes on a Friday to help with work-life balance, and we hope you can make the most of that.
I wish you continued success with the company.

Arnold Clark Group - Head of People

Excellent company with great values & ethics
Area Bodyshop Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow7 August 2018
If its progression you are after look no further!!

I have worked for Arnold Clark for over 20 years now, I started my career as an apprentice to become a fully qualified Panel Beater while gaining the relevent qualifications through GTG and then working my way up the ladder going through all stages of the managerial process - Chargehand to Assistant Bodyshop Manager, Bodyshop Manager and now onto Bodyshop Area Manager.

I think this is an excellent example of the comanies ethics of looking after their staff.
Pros
Fair & Reasonable
Cons
n/a
14 September 2018

Hi, Lynne here. Thank you for getting in touch with such a lovely review. It left us feeling proud!

Thank you for providing an outline of the progress you have made since joining us over 20 years ago; it’s so inspiring to see. This is a perfect example of the type of job progression our staff can make during their time at Arnold Clark. I want to thank you for all your hard work over the years and wish you continued success in the future!

admin
Recruitment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow30 July 2018
not always the best role within the large company but could be made better. more involvement in the role would be appealing. Role maybe have been changed since
29 August 2018

Thanks for reaching out to us with this review.

It’s a shame that we couldn’t discuss your concerns while you were employed by us – as a company of over 12,000 employees, our Recruitment department offers lots of exciting opportunities to learn and progress. However, we value your feedback and I wish you good luck in the future.

Poor work/life balance
Customer Service Adviser (Current Employee) –  Central Belt24 July 2018
An interesting enjoyable job but the hours are not family friendly and for some weird reason they don't seem to like the idea of part time or flexible hours - in 2018 they really need to look at this if they want to attract and keep good people.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
29 August 2018

Hi, thank you for taking time out to get in touch with us.

I was enthused that you seem to be enjoying your position as Customer Service Advisor. In terms of your salary, it’s great to see you note this as one of your positives. We value our staff immensely and we feel we pay them appropriately.

As for long hours, we have many employees who work part-time and flexibly. We also offer Flexitime in many of our roles, and we have worked very hard in the last couple of years to give our staff more control over their work-life balance so that they can spend more time with their families. I understand this role does come with its pressures along with longer hours to suit business needs, so it’s not your typical 9-5.

Once again, I want to thank you for this review and I hope you find that right balance soon.

Arnold Clark Group - Head of People

Working with AC is like having an extended family.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Paisley, Renfrewshire24 July 2018
Arnold Clark is a family run company and you can definitely feel this within your day to day job.
All the staff are friendly and helpful and if you need anything there is always someone who is available to ask whether it be your line manager or the director of the company who will answer any queries you have via email.
The best part of my job is making customers happy by exceeding their expectations - this is made easy by the company having all the right tools to be able to do this.
Sometimes it can be difficult dealing with challenging customers but I find this is something which makes your job satisfaction much higher than anywhere else when these customers come and thank you for helping them.
Pros
Free Healthcare, great training and opportunities to develop your career.
Cons
Can sometimes be long hours but this is equaled with great flexi-time benefits available.
29 August 2018

Hi! Lynne here. What a lovely review of your current role working for Arnold Clark. I’m delighted things are going so well!

Your description of your daily duties is spot on, the enthusiasm you continue to show is wonderful to hear. I was happy to read your comments regarding our management and directors. We take pride that our directors have such a close relationship with staff, no matter which department they are based in.

I’m also delighted to hear that making customers happy incentivises you, this is a great attitude! We seem to have found a real asset to the company in you. You also mentioned the benefits, such as private healthcare. We feel we offer one of the best overall packages in the automotive industry for our staff. You did mention one slight negative being the hours, sadly, going by your description, I don’t know exactly what department you’re in so I can’t really address this. As you say though, Flexitime is of real benefit to many staff to help with work/life balance.

Thank you again for this review and I look forward to many more years of working together!

Good people poor management
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Ayr, South Ayrshire17 July 2018
The place is ok to work for .. management is a joke nothing done on time and if you had any questions always left to very last minute. Workshop duties are beyond a joke .. everything is expected yesterday .. promises are made and rarely follow through... no extra training . You get 5 targets and if you hit them you are supposed to get a pay rise NEVER HAPPENS you also work until 4:30 pm on a Saturday and don’t get any overtime single time or you can take a day back which you can’t get. Also wouldn’t be surprised if they soon stop the payment of it and force you to take it as a day off
Pros
Staff
Cons
Excessive weekend hours 4:30 pm Saturday no overtime payment
29 August 2018

Thank you for taking time out to leave us a review, I’m sorry to hear you didn’t have the best experience working for us.

I’m also sorry to hear that you feel you were put under pressure in your role; you should always be given time to be able to complete your tasks. I was surprised with your comments about training. Our state-of-the-art facility, GTG, has all the relevant courses available to help you on your way to being successful.

As for your comments about hours, as I’m sure you understand, we are open on Saturdays to address the needs of our Service Centre customers. After careful consideration, we recently implemented Flexitime to help with work-life balance, which gives technicians the option to take time off or be paid by the hour. We would have liked the opportunity to discuss your concerns regarding time off with you.

I want to thank you for this feedback and I wish you the very best in your future career.

Applied For A Job A Got A Career
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh16 July 2018
Working in sales there is no typical day, its different every day & you will never deal with the same type of customer one after another. The job can be exciting and rewarding all in one day. The next day could be a nightmare day where anything that can go wrong will go wrong. If you can see past the emotional roller coaster, then like me you will reap the rewards/benefits. Working for Arnold Clark has allowed myself, my partner & my family to be do stuff that just wouldn't have been possible working in my previous job. If you can put in 100% effort, drive, dedication then you will find working for Arnold Clark is an excellent company to work for. As the title states I came for a job interview with Arnold Clark back in 2005, got the job, however what I didn't realise is that I got a career. I started as Salesman back then and I am now a General Manager for the company. The Arnold Clark group is massive and there are so many different paths you can go down with different career opportunities.
Pros
Staff Benefits, Good Pay, Company Car & Most Importantly Flexible Management Team
Cons
Long Hours & 6 Days A Week
29 August 2018

Hi! Thank you for taking time to get in touch.

It’s fantastic to see things are working out for you at Arnold Clark and that your five years with the company have been enjoyable and rewarding.

Yes, the role is certainly varied, and with the right attitude, as you’ve shown, success is there for the taking. One of your main positive points was the opportunity for progression. You have summed this up perfectly in your career journey from Sales Executive to General Manager. It just goes to show that hard work really does pay off and we’re happy to reward our staff for their efforts. You also mention the many benefits you receive working for Arnold Clark. We’re proud to offer something for everyone.

Your only con is the working hours. As you mentioned, it is the nature of the role, and we truly appreciate the time and effort our sales teams put in.

Thank you again for this lovely review and we hope you enjoy future challenges and rewards in your career with us.

Arnold Clark Group - Head of People

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arnold Clark. Our community is ready to answer.