Arnold Clark Employee Reviews

Learn fast, good money
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Stafford7 August 2018
Self confidence a feeling of being self employed is key to work here. If you can do that you will enjoy the perks that come with it. Great staff focused on fantastic customer service.
Pros
Great commission structure
Cons
Excellent company with great values & ethics
Area Bodyshop Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow7 August 2018
If its progression you are after look no further!!

I have worked for Arnold Clark for over 20 years now, I started my career as an apprentice to become a fully qualified Panel Beater while gaining the relevent qualifications through GTG and then working my way up the ladder going through all stages of the managerial process - Chargehand to Assistant Bodyshop Manager, Bodyshop Manager and now onto Bodyshop Area Manager.

I think this is an excellent example of the comanies ethics of looking after their staff.
Pros
Fair & Reasonable
Cons
n/a
Driver Valeter (Current Employee) –  Southampton2 August 2018
If your hard working and want to make great friends while doing so then this job is for you as you will enjoy the job massively.

Very balanced with work and social life.
Branch manager is very accommodating if you need a day off that isn't scheduled or you need to swap a day off.

All staff where very friendly and made me feel welcome very quickly and even brought my partner and myself a hamper of new born baby clothes as he arrived very soon after starting. It was Southampton branches 1st baby :)

Great job to develop and get promotion if that is what your after.
Pros
Great staff benefits and colleagues
Cons
Wages arent great but better than other rental companies for the role.
admin
Recruitment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow30 July 2018
not always the best role within the large company but could be made better. more involvement in the role would be appealing. Role maybe have been changed since
Poor work/life balance
Customer Service Adviser (Current Employee) –  Central Belt24 July 2018
An interesting enjoyable job but the hours are not family friendly and for some weird reason they don't seem to like the idea of part time or flexible hours - in 2018 they really need to look at this if they want to attract and keep good people.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Working with AC is like having an extended family.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Paisley, Renfrewshire24 July 2018
Arnold Clark is a family run company and you can definitely feel this within your day to day job.
All the staff are friendly and helpful and if you need anything there is always someone who is available to ask whether it be your line manager or the director of the company who will answer any queries you have via email.
The best part of my job is making customers happy by exceeding their expectations - this is made easy by the company having all the right tools to be able to do this.
Sometimes it can be difficult dealing with challenging customers but I find this is something which makes your job satisfaction much higher than anywhere else when these customers come and thank you for helping them.
Pros
Free Healthcare, great training and opportunities to develop your career.
Cons
Can sometimes be long hours but this is equaled with great flexi-time benefits available.
Good people poor management
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Ayr, South Ayrshire17 July 2018
The place is ok to work for .. management is a joke nothing done on time and if you had any questions always left to very last minute. Workshop duties are beyond a joke .. everything is expected yesterday .. promises are made and rarely follow through... no extra training . You get 5 targets and if you hit them you are supposed to get a pay rise NEVER HAPPENS you also work until 4:30 pm on a Saturday and don’t get any overtime single time or you can take a day back which you can’t get. Also wouldn’t be surprised if they soon stop the payment of it and force you to take it as a day off
Pros
Staff
Cons
Excessive weekend hours 4:30 pm Saturday no overtime payment
Applied For A Job A Got A Career
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh16 July 2018
Working in sales there is no typical day, its different every day & you will never deal with the same type of customer one after another. The job can be exciting and rewarding all in one day. The next day could be a nightmare day where anything that can go wrong will go wrong. If you can see past the emotional roller coaster, then like me you will reap the rewards/benefits. Working for Arnold Clark has allowed myself, my partner & my family to be do stuff that just wouldn't have been possible working in my previous job. If you can put in 100% effort, drive, dedication then you will find working for Arnold Clark is an excellent company to work for. As the title states I came for a job interview with Arnold Clark back in 2005, got the job, however what I didn't realise is that I got a career. I started as Salesman back then and I am now a General Manager for the company. The Arnold Clark group is massive and there are so many different paths you can go down with different career opportunities.
Pros
Staff Benefits, Good Pay, Company Car & Most Importantly Flexible Management Team
Cons
Long Hours & 6 Days A Week
21st Century Company That Cares About Their Employees
Office Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow16 July 2018
In my time at Arnold Clark particularly the over the last 5 years or so, it seems the company has become more staff orientated believing that happy employees = happy customers, and it's certainly worked.

In the last few years, the company launched an employee engagement program showing that staff ideas are valued and with everyone's help we will can maximise the companies potential.

With a large workforce Arnold Clark has found the right formula in getting the most out of their staff allowing us to balance work and personal life in a way that suits us. Offering group discounts and external retail discounts using its workforce as a bargaining tool, plus flexi-time where possible amongst other benefits.

Everyone in my office always offers assistance and through the years have created a culture of help not to mention the approachable management.

Being a leader in the car industry and offering everything car related from sales, rental, service etc. It always makes your job easier when you have a good product.
Great Workplace Facilities and Job Security
Booking Agent (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow12 July 2018
A typical day in the office includes working with various computer systems, speaking with customers via calls/emails in regards to aftersales products for their vehicles and also communicating with the rest of the team to ensure all customers are being dealt with correctly and that we are providing the best customer service.

Since starting with AC I have learnt to use various new computer systems and also been offered lots of training/development opportunities for different areas of the business along with developing my own skills as much as possible.

The business has developed a fun and hardworking workplace culture and there is always help at hand if needed.

Some days can be challenging in regards to dealing with a wide variety of customers but having a great team around you always make that a bit easier to cope with.

The salary is great and the company offer a wide variety of staff benefits which is very useful, knowing that your job is always secure is an added bonus as well.
Pros
Good Pay and Staff Benefits
Cons
Varied Shifts
20 August 2018

What a wonderful review! I’m delighted to hear how well things are going in your current role as booking agent with Arnold Clark.

I want to thank you for outlining a typical day in the life of a booking agent, as you know, every day is a new challenge. I was happy to see you have benefited from our wonderful training centre GTG which has helped provide you the best possible start with us. It’s also great to hear that your work is a fun place to be, this is exactly what we like to hear!

I was happy to read your enthusiasm for your salary and benefits. We feel we offer the best overall package for our staff and your comments just go to show this is the case. I hope you are still enjoying our array of benefits which include private healthcare, cycle to work scheme, employee interest-free loan and many more.

Finally, I wish you many more years of success with the company.

Arnold Clark Group - Head of People

Exciting environment to work in
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Sighthill, City of Edinburgh12 July 2018
I have learned alot about customer satisfaction since working for Arnold Clark, I love working close with the public, nothing satisfies me more than a happy customer leaving the branch.
Every branch is different but what I love about my branch is how well all the staff get on and you can count on each other to get the best results at the end of the day.
If you are doing well in your job you are recognised for it and if not there is support there.
This is the first workplace that the Directors are very much present and are all very approachable, staff are always kept up to date with the progression of the business and they love to hear our opinion.
Pros
Flexible hours
20 August 2018

Hi! Thank you for leaving such a positive review of your time working for Arnold Clark! It’s fantastic that things are going so well.

I was very happy to hear about the rapport that has been struck in your branch. It’s so important for a branch to do well that everyone is pushing in the right direction, and it’s fantastic your hard work is recognised.

You were quite right to mention how actively involved our directors are. We are proud that our directors have such a close relationship with staff from every area of the company, and they are so down to earth.

You also mention as a positive the flexible hours. Flexitime has been implemented in various areas of the business for a while now and has been well received, with many people saying that it has helped with their work/life balance.

Thank you again for taking time out to get in touch, it really means a lot to us.

Arnold Clark
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen Scotland11 July 2018
I have worked for Arnold Clark for over 10 years and there have been lots of positive changes. They have introduced Think Customer which focuses on customer satisfaction (happy customers keep us in a job) and this has been running for a couple of years and is working really well. They are also more staff orientated and therefore not such a large turn over of staff that there used to be. They also pay a living wage not minimum wage which is also good. And they also have a fantastic apprenticeship scheme for young people to learn and be paid! Lots of benefits, lots of lovely perks and a few examples are - Panto tickets at Christmas, Love to shop voucher rewards. Also very charitable - they branch/ employee match charity donations up to the value of a £1000. (which is very generous considering how many branches they have).Interest free staff loans of £500.00.
Approachable Managers & Directors and you do feel like your opinion matters. The staff that work for Arnold Clark are a lovely bunch, hard working & the majority of them I am sure would agree that it is a fantastic company to work for.
Pros
job security, lovely staff & fab company to work for
Cons
can't think of any
20 August 2018

Hi, Lynne here! What a fantastic review of your current position at Arnold Clark. It’s amazing to hear you have been with us for over ten years!

I was happy to hear we are doing so many things well for you. You mention the various benefits of working for the company including rewards and panto tickets. We like to look after our staff and it’s the little things that make all the difference. We feel we offer the best overall package for our staff members and as you quite rightly say, we feel its right to pay our staff the living wage.

You also mention how approachable our directors are; we feel it’s rare to have such close communication from directors and almost any other staff member in the business. This truly does make us feel proud.

I want to thank you again for this review, and wish you continued success in future!

Amazing Career prospects
Account Manager/Sales (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow11 July 2018
I have been very lucky to have climbed the career ladder throughout my time with the company. My current position within the company took a leap of faith but i have no regrets. I am in charge of my own diary, i work to timescales and i get to talk to new people every day and help build new business opportunities for the company.

Apart from the odd up and down days like everyone else, i enjoy getting up and coming to work, i have an amazing team by my side and have a great managerial support network. They have a lot of faith in me which pushes me to always do well and work hard, not only for me but for them.

One of the hardest parts of my role can be cold calling, but you win some you loose some, you just need t take it on the chin and keep going, you never know when they might need you in in the future.

Next year will be my 10 year anniversary in the company and i can honestly say i see myself here for 10 more. (well the 15 mark is in sight first of all for that fantastic extras weeks holiday)

I know if i want it, the opportunity for me to continue to grow and learn is here, as i am backed by a truly fantastic company.
Pros
Being able to climb the ladder, amazing staff discounts and benefits, job security
20 August 2018

Hi, it’s amazing that you’ve been with us for nearly ten years - and it sounds as though we are getting things right.

I really enjoyed your overview of the role that you’re currently undertaking within the company. I was also encouraged by how enthusiastic and driven you still are after being with us for so long. It was also great to know that you see yourself with us for another ten years, you will definitely deserve the extra week’s holiday.
Among the pros you mention progression, benefits and job security. We like to think we offer the full package for our staff, that’s why many of our staff, like you, have been with us for such a long time. On progression, you have summed this up perfectly, you have started at a relatively lower level and look where you are now. It just goes to show that hard work really does pay off.

Thank you again for this lovely review, here’s to another ten years of success with the company.

Arnold Clark Group Head of People

Engaging work environment with room for progression always
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh11 July 2018
I start my day by calling/emailing my customers who have collected a car within the last few days to make sure they are happy with the service and the car. Sales enquiries come through throughout the day as do walk-in customers. We send video presentations on cars as often as we can as it is the easiest way to bring the car to the customer when they aren't physically in front of us. Most of the day is spent either trying to get a car through the workshop and ready for collection or selling another to a customer. We work with finance companies on behalf of customers and are in constant contact with the admin team, valeters and workshop.

You work as if you're running your own business within a business and as a result, have a lot of responsibility on your shoulders.
Pros
Discounts available within all departments for staff, friends of staff and family. Training courses outwith your job role (fire warden, first aid, management, sales tools etc). The company directors touch base with all dealerships and are very engaging.
Cons
I've always wished for shortened hours in the winter which they don't do
20 August 2018

Hi, thank you for getting in touch with a glowing review. I’m delighted you’re enjoying working for Arnold Clark!

I would like to thank you for the description of what a typical day would consist of in your role. I’m sure this has given people an understanding of what it’s like to be a product consultant. I was heartened by your comments about how we look after our staff. We’re always looking at new ways to incentivise great work and offer our staff even more benefits! As you know, there are various benefits including discounts on cars, retail discounts and private healthcare. It’s also fantastic to hear that you feel our directors are so approachable and engaged in what our staff do. As a family business, it makes us proud to give that personal touch.

As for the slight negative, as you will know sales is a very important aspect of the business and we have to maximise every opportunity throughout the winter. I take this feedback on board though.

Thank you again for this review and I wish you the greatest success in future.

Revolving door of staff
SALES EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Ashton-in-Makerfield10 July 2018
Very tough place to work but if you get the results the bonus scheme is very generous. Very high turnover of staff in 3 years being there I saw over 25 staff leave the company
31 July 2018

Hi, thank you for writing a review of your time working for Arnold Clark.

You mention the bonus scheme – our sales executives are vital to our business, so we offer an extremely competitive commission structure. I’m happy that this was something you appreciated when you were working with us.

In regards to your comment about staff turnover, weare working hard to transform the way we sell cars with our new 5-day week sales roles, giving employees more time for life outside of work, as well as career development opportunities and staff benefits.
I wish you the best of luck in your future career.

Great Place to Work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Glenrothes, Fife10 July 2018
I've been working at Arnold Clark for over two years now and it's a fantastic place to work. Staff are friendly and management have always been approachable and helpful. Directors of the Company will visit and are down to earth and really nice! I'm involved in the Company's Think Customer scheme which is designed to improve customer service and their experience. I can honestly say that it's sometimes frustrating but it's also remarkably rewarding. Nothing is ever perfect but it's great to see a company that accepts that but also tries to change it for the better! In my experience if you're willing to learn, you will get as much training as you want.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Very few!!
31 July 2018

Hi, Lynne here! It’s fantastic to see how happy you are in your role as Receptionist with Arnold Clark.

It’s lovely to read your comments about the management of your branch and the approachability of the directors. We always try to make sure that staff can regularly communicate directly with the heads of the company. Your opinions are important and help us to change things for the better.

I was also encouraged to hear you are taking part in our internal customer service initiative. This is something that is very important to us – people are at the heart of what we do and improving their experience is a top priority. It’s great that you want to be involved.

I want to wish you continued success with the company and thank you again for your review.

Arnold Clark Group Head of People

Quick days and good laughs
Product Genius (Current Employee) –  East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire5 July 2018
This job entails a lot of running around, always on your feet and always busy. This makes the days go in quick which is always a good thing, and gives you plenty of opportunities to impress.
You will drive all sorts of cars and get to learn the insides and out of all the top makes and models as well as the car industry as a whole.
Management are always pushing you to do better and are eager to give you more responsibility and opportunities to do things in your own way, and will take your ideas on board.
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
weekend shifts and late shifts
31 July 2018

What a fantastic review! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave it – we really appreciate the feedback.

It sounds like you’re enjoying your job, and getting the most out of the varied work and the fast-paced environment. It’s fantastic to hear your managers are pushing you to get better and better; we truly value progression and it sounds as if you have a great structure within the branch. Your one con was working at the weekends/late nights. Like most sales roles, it involves some hours outside of the usual 9-5, but we really appreciate the hard work and effort you are putting in.

I wish you many more fulfilling years with the company and look forward to seeing you progress in the future.

secure and enjoyable
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City4 July 2018
I started with Arnold Clark when I was 16 as a customer service adviser (trainee) 9 years on I am now a service manager. The training and support is second to none, not only have I received an SVQ, I have also got IMI level 3 accreditation. The job is very different day to day, not one day is the same. Arnold Clark is a job for life, fantastic benefits, private health care and great monthly incentives for staff, always pushing staff to achieve their goals and help them up the career ladder.
31 July 2018

Hi – Lynne here. Thank you for leaving such a positive review. It’s great to see how happy you are working for us.

You mention various benefits to working for the company, such as progression, benefits and monthly incentives. We take career development seriously, always looking to promote from within and offering various training programmes to help our staff realise their potential. It really is fantastic to hear that we seem to be getting things right for you.

I’d like to thank you again for your feedback and I hope we have many more happy years working together!

Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  North West4 July 2018
I have worked for Arnold Clark for almost 12 years now. Over the years I have seen a massive change in the culture of the company in not only how it looks after its customers, but also its employees. You really do feel part of team and I can honestly say that I enjoy coming to work. I have always found that the harder I work, the more I am rewarded.
Pros
Great pay structure
31 July 2018

Hi! It’s wonderful to see that you have been working with us for almost 12 years. What a fantastic achievement and we’re grateful for all your hard work.

It’s also encouraging to see how enthusiastic you are about coming to work. I’m glad that you’ve mentioned that we are changing the culture within the company – we’ve always strived to deliver the highest levels of customer service and we are continuing to evolve to give staff and customers the best experience possible. I was also happy to hear you mentioned your salary as a positive. Our sales teams are vital to the business and we want you to feel rewarded for what you do, so it’s great to see you feel appreciated by the wage structure.

Thanks again for this glowing review!

Fantastic Forward Thinking Company
Transport Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow3 July 2018
Worked with Arnold Clark now for over 8 years with Fantastic career prospects and a board who support you 100%
excellent prospects for anyone looking to join the company, for me it was a life changing career move
Pros
Good Salary and Benefits
Cons
cannot think of any
31 July 2018

Wow! What a fantastic review. Thank you for your loyalty to Arnold Clark, we really appreciate it.

To hear that it was a life-changing moment for you when you joined the company is the best compliment we can get. I’m happy that you mentioned both salary and benefits as pros. We aim to offer the best overall package for employees, and it seems we are getting this right for you!

Thank you again for this review and we look forward to working with you for many more years to come.

Arnold Clark Group Head of People

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arnold Clark. Our community is ready to answer.