Arnold Clark
Coronavirus update
Information from Arnold Clark:

Arnold Clark Employee Reviews

United Kingdom593 reviews
I started at Arnold Clark in Feb 2020 as a Telephonist/Receptionist, it is a great role as i greet every customer that enters the branch and answer every call that comes in, it is always busy especially the phones, my work colleagues were very welcoming and my training very easy to understand and put in practice. I feel part of the Arnold Clark family already and hope to be working for them for many years to come.
Hi, Lynne here!

Thanks very much for your review and I hope you’re staying safe during our temporary closure.

It’s great to hear that you’ve found the training straightforward and that it’s helped you to tackle your exciting and varied role. It’s also wonderful that you feel a part of things already and you’re enjoying working with your colleagues – that’s what it’s all about!

Welcome to the Group and I wish you many happy years with us.

Group Head of People
Friendly firm
Friendly people to work with on hand to offer advice when needed, I like the variety of work and driving the different vehicles.Cleaning the cars is easy with everyyhing provided
Family Atmosphere
Peerosnlly I get along with all of my work colleagues most of whom have become personal friends. This is because of the family atmosphere in my workplace. I look forward to coming to work.
Pros
Your contributions are valued
Hi, Lynne here!

Thanks for your five-star review and I’m really glad you’re enjoying your role. It’s so important to have good relationships with your colleagues and even better when you can call them your friends! I’m so glad you feel this way about coming to work and we hope to be able to reopen our offices soon so that we can work together again (at a safe distance!) In the meantime, take care and stay safe.

Arnold Clark Group Head of Peopl
Productive fast pace
delivering sold units between branches working at compound sorting and parking cars, managers are very good communicate with good company work for most people are friendly
Hi, Lynne here!

Thanks so much for your positive review and for describing your role. It’s great to hear that your managers communicate with you well and you’re enjoying the fast pace of the job. Keep up the good work and thank you for your contribution!

Very stressful
no support from above and untrustworthy management and shocking hr department.
GMs think they are gods and have given that right from higher up.

Nothing more than bullies
Hi, Lynne here.

Thanks for your review and I’m sorry that you had such a negative experience during your time at Arnold Clark. You mention bullying – our general managers are subject to the same rules as all our employees and if bullying occurs at any level of the business, we have a zero-tolerance attitude to it. While I can’t comment on your specific case, the Arnold Clark People Team follows strictly impartial and established procedures whenever we investigate an issue.

I hope that you find a better fit elsewhere and good luck in your future career.

Arnold Clark Group Head of People
A company that has positions on the market. And it gives permanent employment after 3 months. Recommend
Good company permanent employment. Remuneration on time. Cool people work in this company. Anyone looking for a job should try to apply for a job at Arnold Clark. I recommend cooperation.
Hi, Lynne here!

Thanks for your fantastic five-star review and recommendation! I’m delighted that everything is going well for you and that you’re enjoying working for us.

Our valeters are a key part of our business and we really appreciate everything you do – and if you want to develop in your career we offer lots of opportunities to succeed. I hope that we can all get back to some kind of normality soon but in the meantime, stay safe and thanks for your hard work so far.

Fast paced and Intense
Working as a sales executive (product consultant) within Arnold Clark is an exciting position. It is very fast paced and requires you to be on your toes in order to carry out the job effectively. There is impressive financial reward if you strive for success and, contrary to popular belief, it is very possible to be a nice person and still do well for yourself. The motor industry has seen huge changes over the years and Arnold Clark are adapting to the ever changing industry well.The reason I decided to move on from Arnold Clark was because I was striving for management and there was very little scope fort that in the branch in which I worked.

If you have innate confidence with public interaction and can cope with the pressure of having a performance related pay packet, I would definitely recommend Arnold Clark.
Hi, Lynne here!
Thanks for your review and description of what it’s like to work as an Arnold Clark Product Consultant. The role is fast-paced and exciting, and as you mention we’re moving on from the traditional idea of car sales and the ‘hard sell’. It’s more important to make sure that our customers feel looked after and well-informed – and if you are a nice person you’ll definitely do well for yourself, as that’s what we want from all our employees!

Again, as in many commission-based roles, there are targets to be met and challenges to be faced, but as you’ve pointed out, hard work is always rewarded.

Thank you for your contribution to the business while you were with us and I wish you all the best in your future career.

Excellent
Really pleased with my start to life at Arnold Clark, all employees were really friendly and helping in helping get started and learn the role properly, enjoy the work and the structure of how the job is done and what it involves.
Hi, Lynne here,
Thanks for your great review and it’s fantastic to hear that you got a good start to your job. It’s really important to feel supported by other colleagues when you first begin in a new role, so I’m pleased to hear that you’re getting on well and that you’ve had a warm welcome.

Keep up the good work when we reopen and thanks for your contribution so far! Stay safe.

Arnold Clark Group Head of People
It was great work experience
Love the work experience great team of workers its is a calm environment and they were all welcome when I went up the person I was working with was great he was help full and told me when I was making a mistake
Hi, Lynne here!

Thanks for leaving such a great review of your experience at Arnold Clark. It’s fantastic to hear that you felt supported and enjoyed the working environment during the time you were here.

Our mechanics are vital to the smooth running of Arnold Clark. That’s why we offer training opportunities to help them advance their skills and progress in their careers, as well as a chance to work on a wide range of cars in our busy workshops.

Thanks again and I wish you the best of luck with your future career.

Group Head of People
Great place to work. I only left due to fancying a brand change. I would go back tomorrow if available. Great management and staff. I felt appriciated and valued.
Hi, Lynne here!
Thanks so much for this positive review and I’m delighted that you enjoyed working for us. It’s so important to feel valued at work and it’s great to hear that this was the case for you. You also seem to have had a good relationship with your manager and your colleagues, which is al ways good to see.

Thanks for your commitment to your role while you were with us and I wish you all the best in your new career. And remember, you can always check our careers page in case you fancy another change in the future!

Friendly Family Business
Great company to work for. Good advancement opportunity.
Brilliant staff discounts on servicing, mot, purchasing a new car.

Friend and family discounts

Fresh clean working environment

Staff training continuous.
Pros
Staff discounts on services/mot's/new cars
Hi, Lynne here!
Thanks for taking the time to write this fantastic review and I agree with everything you say!

I’m glad you took advantage of the discounts and training opportunities on offer while you were working for us. We want to make sure our employees are given the chance to progress in their careers and enjoy life outside of work, too.

You mention the fresh, clean environment, too – we’re very proud of our head office and we hope to be back working there soon!

Thanks again and good luck.

So far so good
So far its been a pleasure working for Arnold clark sometimes the management can be a bit funny with you but I think that comes with the job only time will tell
20 April 2020
Hi, Lynne here. Thanks for taking time out to write this review, and I’m glad to hear that you’re having a good time so far!
As with any new job there’s always a period of readjustment and I hope you settle into your new role soon. Please remember if you have any issues, the People Team is there to help.

The product consultant role is a really exciting opportunity and there’s no limit to the success you can achieve. I hope you enjoy the challenge!

productive, fun working environment
Different to any other work environment, loads of laughs, helpful staff, but pressure applied when necessary. management ensure a good working environment but don't allow it to go too far and keep staff grounded and working hard.
Great job to push yourself in, definitely earn the rewards if you put the work in.
Pros
meet new people, drive nice cars, great benefits, good salary
Cons
long hours, sometimes in on days off
Hi, Lynne here.
Firstly, thanks for your positive comments about the working environment. As family company, we believe that people are our greatest asset, and it’s great to hear that you have a good relationship with your team and management.

And it’s also true that hard work is rewarded – there’ s no limit to the success you can have as a product consultant and we celebrate our top performers every year.

As you know, longer hours are in the nature of the job and we also offer a five-day working week for all our sales employees. However, you shouldn’t be coming in on your days off unless you have agreed to do this. If this is an issue, please feel free to contact the People Team in confidence.

Thanks for your hard work and I hope you continue to enjoy your role.

Arnold Clark Group Head of People
Been with the company a few months now, find the working environment good and the workshop equipment to be of a good standard, hours are longer than most garages but the flexitime is rather good and the dedicated employee app lets you track your hours, book holidays and access employee benefits which are some of the best I’ve seen so far. Overtime is expected but not mandatory. You also work every second Saturday which isn’t great but it can be cashed out or taken as flexitime.
Hi, Lynne here!
Thanks for your positive comments and I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying your work environment so far. Our workshops are very busy as you know, but we make sure that all our technicians get the chance to cash out their flexi or take it as time off.

I’m also glad you’re taking fu ll advantage of our employee app and all the benefits on offer. We have new benefits and retail discounts all the time, so keep checking!

Thank you for your hard work and we’re happy to have you on board.

All stick and no carrot
If unfairness, favouritism, being fined for others mistakes, bullying, browbeating and a punishment culture are what you want then apply here. Dont get me wrong the money can be good but in order to achieve the advertised levels you will be working your days off most weeks. Branches are always overstaffed and this creates a culture of fighting for leads. Managers use web leads as rewards like good boy doggy treats
20 April 2020
Hi, Lynne here. I’m very sad to read your comments and I’m sorry that you had such a negative time with us.
You mention a ‘punishment culture’ and favouritism from management. At Arnold Clark we have a zero-tolerance policy on bullying and discrimination and any issue like this is taken very seriou sly, no matter where it comes from within the business. Our managers are expected to support and encourage employees to perform at their best.

I only wish we could have had a chance to investigate the issues you describe while you were in our employment.

I wish you the best of luck in your career.

promises not delivered!
toxic environment, unsupportive back stabbing management at branch level, very stressful environment to work in.not interested in problems with achieving targets just the bottom line! high turn over of staff due to pressure and general culture. At face value the systems and benefits they have in place appear good but the reality is far from what is promoted by the company
Hi, Lynne here.
I’m very concerned to read your comments about management and the atmosphere within your branch.

We have a zero-tolerance policy on bullying across the business and we expect management to be supportive and approachable. I would urge you to contact the People Team in confidence so t hat we can investigate this further.

Product
Deals get taken off you everyday and giving to someone else, you have to deal with all complaints Aswell you get deducted money from you if you don’t send a video of a car had £1,600 deductions for getting not getting a manager to say thanks, never work for Arnold Clark, should of got my last pay and there didn’t pay me and there still don’t want to give my money
Hi, Lynne here.
Thanks for your review and I wish it was more positive.

Customer service at Arnold Clark is our top priority and part of a product consultant’s duties are dealing with customers, sending videos to show them the features of their chosen car and creating a good experience in the branch, ending with the manager thanking our customers for our business.

While I can’t comment on specific details, as our sales staff work on commission, there are certain targets that product consultants have to reach in order to achieve their full renumeration. It’s a system that encourages good customer service and the majority of our sales staff understand that it is a key part of the role.

I’m sorry that things didn’t work out for you with us and I wish you the best of luck in your next job.

Must be made
Ok place to work if you want to cut coners
Nobody cares only good thing is your left alone to conduct your own work an try to do this with your own mind
28 April 2020
Hi. Thanks for your review. I’m sad to hear your experience with us was disappointing. I’m concerned that you mention ‘cutting corners’ – we actively encourage high standards across the business so this isn’t something we’d expect to be happening.
If there had been issues, I only wish you could have approached the People Team and we would have looked into this for you.

I wish you the best of luck in your future career.

Arnold Clark Group Head of People
A company which recognises hard work, loyalty and commitment.
Let me be totally clear I spent almost forty years of my life with Arnold Clark. Did I have bad days...sure! Did I meet with people I'd rather forget...yup! But did I feel my hard work and loyalty was recognised and rewarded... you bet! If you're looking to start with a business which can offer you genuine career prospects no matter what department you join then this is the place to go. AC's don't always get things right....what company which employs over thirteen thousand people does? But I can honestly say the culture driven from the top to the bottom is one of a family company which genuinely cares for the well being of it's biggest asset...it's staff! I'd say " Give them a try and judge for yourself. I doubt you'll be disappointed!"
Hi, Lynne here!
Thanks for writing such an encouraging and honest review of your time here. There aren’t that many people with the kind of experience you have so it’s great for any prospective employees to read your insights. As you know, Arnold Clark has grown massively in the last few years but we have always remained true to our original values as a family company, putting people at the heart of everything we do.

As you say, we always recognise hard work and commitment, and although there are inevitable challenges, the rewards are plentiful and can lead to a long and fulfilling career like yours. I wish you all the best in your retirement and thank you for continuing to be a champion of Arnold Clark.

Aggressive managemwnt
The management at Arnold Clark are very aggressive frequently abusing staff.
Area manager is a bully to his managers and this bullying feeds down to the sales staff.

Managers frequently throw things and shout abuse at employees.
Hi, Lynne here.
Thanks for your review, although it was very concerning to read. We have a zero-tolerance policy towards bullying at Arnold Clark, no matter what level of the business it may come from, and I wish we could have investigated this issue while you were in our employment. Behaviour like this is not acceptable and your comments would have been treated extremely seriously.

I’m sorry that you had such a negative experience during your time with us and I hope you find the right fit elsewhere.

not fun place to work
management go out there way to make your life hard at times and also HRdont know how to handle problems, getting a phone call to tell you your being made redundant but not even following the proper process and not even knowing the rights of the staff. staff knew more than the head of HR witch shows the company is a joke to work for
27 March 2020
Hi - Lynne here.

I am surprised by your comments as the People Team are a very experienced and well-respected team in the company and deal with all employee relations matters for over 13,000 employees. However, if there is a process that you feel has not been followed in the right way then please raise this through the internal company channels and it will be looked into.

Also if there is an issue with how you are currently being managed then please raise this too.

Arnold Clark - Group Head of People