Argos Employee Reviews

Found 2,452 reviews matching the search See all 2,643 reviews
Never work there through agency
Warehouse operative (Current Employee) –  Basildon, UK3 December 2018
Working in Argos through Agency was the worst decision ever... low payroll, non paid sick, non paid breaks and a lot of problems with holidays.

MHE in warehouse probably remember British colonization of the Americas
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Mostly everything
The people you work with make the job
sales assistant (Current Employee) –  london30 November 2018
Pay is ok. Company as a whole is good to you overall, with 10% discount being a benefit and getting paid time and a half on bank holidays which is good.
Pros
10% discount
Good if your face fits
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon29 November 2018
Management kind and fair. Most staff nice. One lady in particular very nasty and spiteful.. She tries to get you in trouble and picks on the teens. Very jealous I think. Lots of staff leave because of her.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Nasty female colleague
Fast paste environment.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birstall, West Yorkshire28 November 2018
Hard working and fast paste environment, would definitely work here again.
Friendly staff, very easy to get a long with, know how to have a laugh whilst working.
Not Many Hours
Temporary Contract - General/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chorley28 November 2018
Most shopping is now done online making the stores noticeably quiet, day to day tasks are simple and easy to carry out, some say easy job others would argue boring.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
Minimum hours
Generally an easy going job
Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton27 November 2018
Through the years the job went from a nice place to work to a very stressful place. Management and staff were generally upbeat so it made the work environment a joyful place to be
Fun place to work
Supplier Funding Assistant, Home Retail Group (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire25 November 2018
Vibrant office with a lot of networking encouragement.
Progression is looked at.
Location is in the centre so you have the best of both worlds - work and pleasure.
Driving delivery
Driver (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London23 November 2018
Turning up on time to work. Pick and pack the packaging or parcels. Check your van if safe to drive. Deliver the packaging on time to the customers. Take van back safely
fun and everyday wasnt the same
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Worksop21 November 2018
I enjoyed working for argos it was a good company to work for I gained confidence talking to customers. The hours was flexable and I worked with a good bunch of people. I hated customer service when the customers brought in there broken or scratched products.
Pros
10% off all items
Cons
difficult customers
Was good while it lasted
Customer Fulfilment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex20 November 2018
Enjoyed every day, just done my job the best I could, after being there a few years, seeing people come and go, but lots of laziness from other colleagues, who continuously got away with it, and critized and judge others. Too many jobsworths, who wouldn't listen to advice, too big for there boots, and ended up hated by others. Would try to tell you how to do your job, when you're perfectly capable of doing what you've been doing the same for so long.

Staff are not trusted some shouldn't be, but they target the wrong people, constantly watched which makes it uncomfortable just trying to do your job. Managers say to speak to them if any problems, but when you do, it either gets ignored and never resolved, or you are made to feel like it's not even a problem. So when I dealt with a particular snotty teenager myself, I'm the one who was made to be the problem.

Constantly looking for faults, and point out the stupidest hiccups, then slag you off to everyone else, all whilst work needs to be done. No praise or well done for those who work really hard
Pros
Better when your out driving alone
Cons
Lazy Staff .
It was hard but fun place to work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Essex20 November 2018
I enjoyed working there the people were friendly and I.had the Chan e for over time we had a nice staff room made a lot of friends we also had staff discount to the on site shop
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Late nights
Wouldn't wish it on anyone
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bognor Regis19 November 2018
I worked for Argos for an entire year, that year was horrible.

Always understaffed, leaving me to manage the whole shop by myself and numerous customers while the managers and team leaders would just stay in the office, not bothering to come out. Even when you would ask, they would give some excuse as to why they couldn't.

Being in 9-5, and being by yourself, especially around Christmas when hundreds of people would be coming in. Queue's forming outside the shop into Sainsbury's, having to leave your customer to get their items as the warehouse staff were not doing what they are supposed too.

Rarely getting your breaks and lunch breaks as the colleagues who were buddies with the managers got their first, even if you'd been working since 9 and they got in at 11/12.

Hiring new staff and not training them properly so you will always be picking up their slack, you would tell your manager about it but they wouldn't care.

Manager relationships with staff and letting them have all the time off they want and always giving them the easiest work to do (e.g. warehouse), although this was supposed to be on a rota. All the staff were so two-faced. You'd tell your manager or team leader something in confidence and everyone would know about it the next day.

They wouldn't believe you if you were ill.

I had an operation on my foot, they wanted me to still come into work and just have flipflops on.

Rota system, being in 3 hours a day. The rota constantly changing without them telling you so you'd get phone calls saying where are you, even though you aren't due to start
  more... until 5pm, but they changed your rota till 3pm, late last night, or 20 minutes before ringing you so you looked like a liar - then pressured you to stop whatever you were doing and come in ASAP.

The pressure to get emails, insurance on products and an Argos card was just a joke - even so, when you're supposed to get a £10 reward for each bit of insurance you sold over £50 (i believe) but your manager never told you that and kept it all himself.

Short of it all, I got diagnosed with Depression after working here for a year.
Pros
the customers
Cons
hours, staff, management, job itself, pay, no beenfits
good
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cromer, Norfolk19 November 2018
look after their own, will appreciate hard work, bonus scheme
good recognition,
was a great gap stop in seasonal work
loved the atmosphere and the job always been a big argos fan
Stressful.
Argos Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster18 November 2018
This job has helped improve my confidence and my skills. For example when serving, speaking or assisting members of the public with their orders. I have also worked in the stock room gathering items together to place on the converyor belt. It has also improved my interpersonal skills by getting me out more, meeting and speaking to new people. Hardest part of the job was that their wasn't enough training given. For example the headsets (poor signal) wasn't enough staff at times to hand the items out for the customers. 0 hour contracts, not knowing when you are working.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough training
Satisfactory
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnersh, Berkshire18 November 2018
As a first job it taught me an incredible amount about how to work with a wide variety of people and refined my communication and customer service skills.
xmas temp
Xmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft, Suffolk16 November 2018
maybe the easiest place i have worked with all correct training and team that helps you out when needed if they came calling wouldnt hesitate to agree to work there again
Fun workplace
Temporary Christmas (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex15 November 2018
I took this position over the christmas period. This was a fun place to work and all of the staff were very friendly but it was not a long term position for me
Pros
fun
Cons
Not a long term position
Very busy, enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundee City15 November 2018
Working days were varied so not working in the same position all shift. You could start your day dispatching goods from behind the counter, net be working on the tills. I learnt about stock room and how it works. Management were always on hand if required. Work place culture was one of a team. assisting each other when required. the hardest part of the job was sometimes trying to locate items in the stockroom, but usually help was on hand. The best part was seeing happy customers.
Pros
Good shift patterns, to suit individual needs
Cons
N/a
Mediocre
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London14 November 2018
A typical day at Argos is to expect the unexpected. No day is the same. As a manager you are expected to fulfil the duties of your profile, depending on which department you are accountable for. Whilst maintainig this department, you are also required to duty manage throughout the day which consists of managing the customer flow from the sales floor, thus taking away from your most important duties. Argos is a great place to develop yourself, you could learn so much about retail, consumer law and much more. Your knoweldge, communication skills and management style will definitely improve during your career with Argos, as will your confidence. Its a fun place to work, you will have a great team of people to support you. However, working with the company for a number of years, you begin to realise that your workload isn't worth what you get paid. You can be put under a lot of stress and all through this, the company will mainly care about results. Once its time to progess and move on to better things after being offered a position in a different department somewhere else, a person of higher authority could put a stop to that due to the demands of the business. This means you may have realised potential but someone could stop your progression as it could affect the current department you reside in. Thus no pay rise. Personally, I believe that this means, the business truly doesn't care about you. You are there to work and get results which you may continue to do, as it is what you get paid to do. However, you may lose the passion you once had before. A previous manager has once  more... told me 'you work to live, not live to work' but the company works on the latter.  less
Good Atmosphere
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Belfast14 November 2018
Shifts were always busy and co-workers were always helpful. Co-workers were friendly, approachable and mature. Management was good, always getting back to employees regarding questions asked.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
No air conditioning in warehouse section

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Argos. Our community is ready to answer.