Arena Racing Company Employee Reviews

Avoid working here!
Spa Therapist (Former Employee) –  Lingfield, Surrey14 April 2019
I worked her for 3 and a half months and it was the worst 3 and a half months of my life!
The manger only cares about getting as many clients in per day. They don’t care about the staff. The accuse the staff of everything that either goes missing or anything that goes wrong. Even though they leave the stock room unlocked so anyone can enter it and take what they wish they still accuse the staff for taking it and refuse to look at cctv because they don’t want to “see one of their girls do something like that”. You start work at 11am on a week day and 10am on a weekend but don’t think you can have a lie in because if you wake up ill they except you to ring in by 6am otherwise you have to come in even if you can barely stand!
I would never ever work for this company again!
Long hours- they say you only work 5 days a week. But what they don’t tell you is on week 1 you work; Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Then on week 2 you work; Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and have the weekend off. So in total you end up working 10 days in a row doing a 8/9 hour shift each day. You get no food. You are excepted to do the spa’s washing on your lunch break to and tidy your room before you leave for lunch so by the time you actually get down to the lunch room after tidying your room for your next client and doing the washing you’re left with roughly 10 minutes before you are meant to be starting your next clients treatment.
You also don’t get told about weekends. I was asked if I minded doing the odd Sunday if they got busy during my interview which I said
  more... I didn’t kindness however what they mean by that is 3/4 Saturday’s and Sunday’s you WILL be working.
I then asked to go part time and they cut my pay to part time but not my hours!! Then when I sent an email to my manager asking why my hours haven’t been cut I received an email back saying they have arranged a meeting. When I got to the meeting she had got a HR manager to sit in with us and she told me how rude my email was because I had asked why I’m still on full time hours..?? I then handed my notice in at that meeting to be told I will be working 4 weeks still before being allowed to leave when I replied I’m still on my probation period so in my contract it says I only have to give a weeks notice I was given an eye roll and told to return down stairs to the spa.. the manager will then avoid you after handing your notice in and when she does see you will act like you’re not there.
You will never see the manager apart from a couple of times a month due to them either not coming in to work or simply hiding in their office which is about 4 floors above the spa.
Avoid!!
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything above!
Avoid at all costs
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lingfield, Surrey24 February 2019
Overall rating : Very disappointing to leave a secure job to work for this badly organised and managed company. Avoid is un understatement.....

Salary/Benefits : Minimum for hourly paid staff and low for management working 50 - 70 hours a week. No benefits and even no free meals whilst on duty as they stopped to save budget.

Job Work/Life Balance : Exspected to Work long and unsociable hours with constant underpayments resulting in constantly chasing to get paid.

Job Security/Advancement : No security and management like for employee to know so they can controle employees. Just untrained and bad management all round.

Management : Complain, dont support staff, poor motivation skills and can never be found as hidding in offices. Managers drinking and being drunk whilst at the bar and visibly hungover the next day. Whilst working here 2 x HR managers , 2 x maintenance managers, 2 x Operations manager , 2 x finance managers, 2 x Genral managers, 2 x Hotel managers came and went in 1 year so high turnover of managers and staff resulting in constant catch- up for all. The list goes on and on ......

Job Culture : No structure or support and everbody doing everything as nobody was doing anything or didn't know what to do. Very reactive company, hit and miss !!!!!
Pros
Cons
All I have written so would advise to Avoid !!!!!
Poor place to work
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Sedgefield, Durham14 December 2018
I was the site manager for about 4 months and it was the longest 4 of my life.

The racedays are long days, you do get a free meal on that day if you get chance that is, but when race days aren't on it awful. The course management has a unique still, scream at you and don't ask questions. I am not a gas engineer, but when the gas system failed it was my fault. And for troubles trying to get it fixed I got screamed at. Also there is a massive click within the course, of your not in well your out.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Little respect from management
very busy
Hospitality Staff (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne2 July 2018
As hospitality staff there is nowhere to sit down during the short breaks we get, therefore we are always on our feet for the entirety of our shifts which has lead to some serious foot pains. overall i would say staff don't complain about this too much as the pay is above average and the atmosphere of the job can create great tip opportunity
Pros
free lunches
Cons
15 minute break on shifts up to 12 hours
hard work for poor pay
dogs body (Former Employee) –  Lingfield, Surrey8 April 2018
long hours they say it is a 40 hour week do loads more hours for same salary never get your hours back good co workers all on mediocre pay for what they do
Pros
not many
Cons
long hours unpaid over your contract
Waste of Space - Reception
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead, Berkshire1 February 2018
You hardly get a break and management were drunk on numerous occasions.

Management don't know the difference between the left arm and the right arm.

No support or structure provided and a complete waste of my time and am fortunate that I am no longer with them especially when you have rude Managers and Managers that are highly intoxicated and have non compos mentis or the Manager that was a waste of space was Jonathan B.
Pros
None.
Cons
Hardly get to eat lunch as always have to get the tasks completed.
A fun experience
University Placement (Former Employee) –  Uttoxeter31 March 2017
A great team who work hard but are a joy to work with in such an exciting arwa of business. They do their all to generate success while creating enjoyable work simultaneously.
Bad management!
F&B Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lingfield, ENG8 July 2015
Usually the place seems very nice and its full of good/nice people, but in the F&B is absolute chaos. Bar and Restaurant doesn't work together and managers don't do anything about that. No teamwork equals lots of stress and anger in this place especially for the bar, as they seem not having enough staff.
I have learned everything on my own, there isn't any training whatsoever from supervisors or managers, they employ you, somebody from the staff gives you basic training and the rest is for you to learn on your own.
I haven't seen management so selfish and not caring about the employees anywhere else! First they don't employ enough people and you are doing some crazy busy shifts and only listen to people complaining for waiting long for their order. Almost every week you do some late shifts, finish at 2-3am and then you have to go for a morning shift at 7 or 9am. A lot of the times bar people cannot have their breaks, because there is nobody to swap them on the bar! You are not provided with all the equipment you need to do your job at your best. They are constantly lying and making promises that will never happen!
I can think of many more things than that, but lets just leave it for now.
Most of the people are good, but most of them are lazy as well. So if you need a help most of them would find an excuse to come and give you a hand for something. There is maybe a total of 5 people who will never let you down and will do whatever they can to help you and be friendly in the same time.
The hardest part of the job is that you have to do everything on your own. And that
  more... when you face a problem, there is no manager that can actually help you with the matter.
The most enjoyable part is when you are able to provide a good service to the customers and you feel your hard work is being appreciated. They are the only people who appreciate what you are doing in this place!
Cons
You are entitled to a free meal on work, but that will happen less than 50% of the time, You have to beg the chefs to make you something for the late shifts, because there will be no food left, Long hours, not getting paid for, Management that doesn't care about staff.