Arena Racing Company

Arena Racing Company Employee Reviews

United Kingdom11 reviews
As soon as I started my new job at the Lingfeild park hotel, under arc’s employment, I could straight away see the lack of communication between management and staff here. It was quite frankly a bit EMBARRASSMENT!
No confidentiality, hard work with low pay, very clicky, not given the tips you earn, your just a number to management , HR unapproachable due to being in managers pocket and absolutely useless. Avoid working at this hotel you will be very disappointed
Hilton charges customers over the top prices and at the same time makes cuts wherever they can ON THEIR OWN STAFF. On the top of it Hilton steals the tips restaurant and bar staff receives for service they've provided to the customer.
90% of the time food is not provided, unless you are lucky and given leftovers of what customers haven't eaten during their event.

No induction or training is provided, no one has time for it or cares enough. Who would you if you feel unappreciated and stolen from..

Staff is expected top notch performance, presence and customer service at the same time is paid minimum national wage also for working nights and weekends.
Pros
Semi clean environment to work in.
Cons
Pay mistakes, pay rate for nights an weekends same as days, no tips allowed, no food, inadequate management for the role, no induction
always no money available cost cutting all the time always the low paid that suffer managment running around in expensive cars even hr running around in range rovers but no money for equipment to do jobs properly make vast amounts off money all goes to owners never re invested thats why i gave in and left the company i suppose pay peanuts you get monkeys now back at the zoo bye
I joined Arena Racing company working at the Hilton Garden Inn before it opened in August 2018. It is what I can only describe as the worst year of my life. All the managers and shift leaders are friends so there’s no one to trust about an issue. You’re thrown in the deep end and sickness and disability are ignored. Payroll can’t do their jobs and management are bullies. If you’re face doesn’t fit then you’re made to feel wrong about yourself and victimised. Only the people who are “in the loop” really have the chance to earn extra money/tips through being put in the restaurant. Full time members of staff are paid a salary to essentially do a job a glass washer does when they’re supposed to be leading a shift. Invasion of privacy and gossip is the worst and this is a hotel where bullying is encouraged. I do not recommend this employer and advise to anyone applying to the Hilton Garden Inn on Doncaster Racecourse to stay away from such a toxic environment. Go and work for someone else and save yourself the pain.
Pros
Free breakfast if on the breakfast shift.
Cons
Poor management, lazy Shift Leaders, school mentality.
I worked her for 3 and a half months and it was the worst 3 and a half months of my life!
The manger only cares about getting as many clients in per day. They don’t care about the staff. The accuse the staff of everything that either goes missing or anything that goes wrong. Even though they leave the stock room unlocked so anyone can enter it and take what they wish they still accuse the staff for taking it and refuse to look at cctv because they don’t want to “see one of their girls do something like that”. You start work at 11am on a week day and 10am on a weekend but don’t think you can have a lie in because if you wake up ill they except you to ring in by 6am otherwise you have to come in even if you can barely stand!

I would never ever work for this company again!

Long hours- they say you only work 5 days a week. But what they don’t tell you is on week 1 you work; Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Then on week 2 you work; Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and have the weekend off. So in total you end up working 10 days in a row doing a 8/9 hour shift each day. You get no food. You are excepted to do the spa’s washing on your lunch break to and tidy your room before you leave for lunch so by the time you actually get down to the lunch room after tidying your room for your next client and doing the washing you’re left with roughly 10 minutes before you are meant to be starting your next clients treatment.

You also don’t get told about weekends. I was asked if I minded doing the odd Sunday if they got busy during my interview which I said
 - more...
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything above!
I was the site manager for about 4 months and it was the longest 4 of my life.

The racedays are long days, you do get a free meal on that day if you get chance that is, but when race days aren't on it awful. The course management has a unique still, scream at you and don't ask questions. I am not a gas engineer, but when the gas system failed it was my fault. And for troubles trying to get it fixed I got screamed at. Also there is a massive click within the course, of your not in well your out.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Little respect from management
As hospitality staff there is nowhere to sit down during the short breaks we get, therefore we are always on our feet for the entirety of our shifts which has lead to some serious foot pains. overall i would say staff don't complain about this too much as the pay is above average and the atmosphere of the job can create great tip opportunity
Pros
free lunches
Cons
15 minute break on shifts up to 12 hours
You hardly get a break and management were drunk on numerous occasions.

Management don't know the difference between the left arm and the right arm.

No support or structure provided and a complete waste of my time and am fortunate that I am no longer with them especially when you have rude Managers and Managers that are highly intoxicated and have non compos mentis or the Manager that was a waste of space was Jonathan B.
Pros
None.
Cons
Hardly get to eat lunch as always have to get the tasks completed.
A great team who work hard but are a joy to work with in such an exciting arwa of business. They do their all to generate success while creating enjoyable work simultaneously.
Usually the place seems very nice and its full of good/nice people, but in the F&B is absolute chaos. Bar and Restaurant doesn't work together and managers don't do anything about that. No teamwork equals lots of stress and anger in this place especially for the bar, as they seem not having enough staff.
I have learned everything on my own, there isn't any training whatsoever from supervisors or managers, they employ you, somebody from the staff gives you basic training and the rest is for you to learn on your own.

I haven't seen management so selfish and not caring about the employees anywhere else! First they don't employ enough people and you are doing some crazy busy shifts and only listen to people complaining for waiting long for their order. Almost every week you do some late shifts, finish at 2-3am and then you have to go for a morning shift at 7 or 9am. A lot of the times bar people cannot have their breaks, because there is nobody to swap them on the bar! You are not provided with all the equipment you need to do your job at your best. They are constantly lying and making promises that will never happen!

I can think of many more things than that, but lets just leave it for now.

Most of the people are good, but most of them are lazy as well. So if you need a help most of them would find an excuse to come and give you a hand for something. There is maybe a total of 5 people who will never let you down and will do whatever they can to help you and be friendly in the same time.

The hardest part of the job is that you have to do everything on your own. And that
 - more...
Cons
You are entitled to a free meal on work, but that will happen less than 50% of the time, You have to beg the chefs to make you something for the late shifts, because there will be no food left, Long hours, not getting paid for, Management that doesn't care about staff.