ao.com
Here to help: Coronavirus update
Updates from ao.com:

ao.com Employee Reviews

United Kingdom141 reviews
Brilliant teams, bad everything else
When I started at AO.com I was sold the idea that I'd be given the opportunity to develop and advance in my career from day 1, with multiple benefits to sweeten the deal.

However, 4 years in, I'm still yet to see any of these opportunities. I have certainly learnt a lot, and worked with some fantastic people but career growth is non existent. Add on top a constant undervaluing of staff and skillsets and a management team that seem more focused on telling everyone they're managers and arranging meetings about meetings rather than just, you know, being an effective manager.

I do not reccomend anyone work here. You will be underpaid, undervalued and unhappy. They lost about 70% of one team due to the above reasons in the space of about a month.
Ao .... Definitely "don't go"
Extremely unprofessional environment. Unskilled staff with no support or proper training. Management are very disrespectful to depot staff and some of the comments from Depot Managers and Area Manager to staff members were absolutely unacceptable, very personal and any competent HR department would be horrified by. The HR covering the Peterborough area was pathetic. Work wise, you are never recognised for your efforts, the more you do, the more they take advantage. Management are basically mates that have got their mates other management roles regardless of ability.
I witnessed really poor mental health issues with some of my co-workers, caused by the awful environment and lack of management people skills at the Peterborough depot. Unless you are extremely thick skinned and don't mind being spoken to like dirt, I certainly wouldn't recommend applying for a role at this company. The staff turnover at this depot speaks volumes.
Ao management are shocking.
I have never worked in such a unorganised company in my life. Far too much back stabbing, far too many departments arguing between themselves and poor management.
I have never seen staff turnaround like this anywhere I have worked before. Management take badly to feedback, then again most are of them are young and have never worked) or could get a management job) anywhere else.

Some nice benefits but it really is just painting over the cracks.

This company needs a good restructure and clear out.
Don't recommend
Took team leaders job but received no promised pay rise. Told the position would be good for career. loads of false promises non of which were ever delivered on. Not a great work atmosphere or environment. Very poor employer all round, its more like working for a tight fisted farmer.
No support - don't care when you ask
The culture of this company is jarring and nothing like anywhere i've worked before. Everyone is doing overtime every day, and although everyone is contracted to 37.5 hours, 9-5.30, everyone there seemed to work 7.30 to after 6pm every day - even with them working through lunch. This was more understandable after seeing the sheer volume of work everyone has on every day.
Management seem shocked when staff can't keep up with this and in my short time there i saw 5 members staff within one team leave before completing even 6 months there because they've had no support offered to them when they struggle.

For a lot of the longer term staff (>1 year), it's the only role they've had so perhaps they don't know better.

The benefits don't outweigh the bad things here, and no benefit could. The pay alone doesn't reflect the high pressure and the volume of work you're expected to churn out. It's a very homogeneous culture and if you don't fit in they'll drive you out.
AO don't go
I don't recommend AO.com at all.
Believe me or find out the hard way. Very demoralising place to work.

Wages do not make it worth putting up with. Lots of talent less people telling skilled workers what to do.
My reveiw
Good company to work for traveled different places and different depots could have a better fleet but different customers and made the day better and fun
The worst warehouse I have ever worked in. Yes EVER worked in!
Stay well away. Poor conditions, Poor treatment. At the interview they tell you about all the treats and free breakfasts. The reality is nothing like this. You line up like a refugee once a day for a handout of a chocolate bar and a warm tin of pop.
I did not have the breakfast ever, everyone grabbing and fighting over a loaf of bread and sticking their hands in the cereal packets. Dirty plates and cutlery Appliances rarely working and toilets continually blocked.and left for days on end. No one cares when you report this.

Bring your own food, Try to go to the toilet before you come to work. Watch out for the pop bottles full of urine you find left lying around (unbelievable but true)
Fun Place
Did everything for staff and more to ensure they were happy in the work place

Enjoyed keeping community spirit

Tried hard to promote staff in house
Worst company
Do anything in there power not to pay what your owed. Employ you on a self employed basis so they can mess you about as an when they see fit. Promise you the world with runs lucky to get a full week out them.
Positive
I enjoyed working with a friendly, helpful team of staff who were always happy to help with any questions or queries. The pay was good for the jobs which needed completing as well as the hours which I worked
Would not recommend
Low pay, low morale and quite a fast turnaround of good staff.
Having worked for a Ft250 retailer before this and unfortunately made redundant I can honestly say they do not know how to treat staff. The people who do like it are generally new in the business and younger who love the free chocolate Christmas party thing. This novelty soon wares off.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Not very caring. my line manager was awful
Fun Workplace & Help you Progress
I currently work for AO in Crewe, I started here on agency and after one week I got taken on. With any job what you put into it, you get out.
I've only been with the company for 6 months, they have help me progress my skills by going on different course's, shadow other area's of the business to help me build my knowledge more and more. As long as your willing to progress, the company will help you!

The work environment is great! Everyone is really friendly and the banter in the office is great.

The benefit's of working for AO is they are very flexible, you can take regular breaks, have access to the Spa, don't have to take holidays for Doctors appointments, AMAZING kitchen facilities Tea, Coffee, Soft Drinks, Pop, Breakfast in the morning, Snacks.

I've worked in three other company's before AO. I can honestly say I've never known a company to be so Flexible, Friendly Nature, Recognition for Hard work and have a strong Team Spirit.
Did not live up to expectations
I worked with some lovely people here and pretty much all the people I met were nice.The exception to the rule are the management and from talking to other people on other departments this seems to be the norm here with the same criticisms and concerns i had.
Management and staff aspiring to be management are very good at pretending to be nice to the right people.

Ao.com does have some good points like the Starbucks, spa and ability to get cooked food and the free refreshments but this in no way can compensate for being unhappy whilst working. I have had jobs in the past with no such benefits but at least working was not unbearable.

A great shame really.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Job culture and bad management
Need to change
AO.com need a overhaul on how they treat and employ drivers. Parts of the job like being outdoors and meeting customers on the whole was good but you are not an employee so have no rights, protection, help or guaranteed pay for hours.
Fortunately for good drivers there are plenty of other jobs out there.
1 out of 5 in generous
Yes the job is a delivery driver and you lift heavy appliances everyday, that I get and it did not bother me.
The hours you work are not the same as you get paid, sorry but it was not swings and roundabouts each week I was down on pay and the job equated to less than minimum wage. Added to this you are self employed so no benefits like holiday pay etc.

Bad drivers will be even worse off once deductions for vehicle damage have been taken off.

what made it worse for me was being blamed for damage to appliances which was clearly the warehouses fault.
Pros
Don't make me laugh
Cons
Less than minimum wage.Bad management.
Great place to work at
AO.com blew my mind. I was based in Telford and I sincerely enjoyed my role there. Management were friendly, staff are committed, Head Office in Bolton is amazing. Really advanced IT wise, modern approach.
26 February 2020
Thanks very much for such a great review! We work really hard to give each AO’er the best experience in the best environment, and I'm delighted that was obvious during your time with us. I've made sure the team have been given the recognition they deserve. Wishing you all the best in the future, Vic Rogers (Chief People Officer)
challenging
it's like marmite you either love it or hate it. If you haven't done the job before always expect the unexpected . treat the job like your delivering to your mum.
26 February 2020
We’re so glad that you love our culture, but it’s the bold, fun, smart and caring people like you that really bring it to life. So thank you!
Productive but fairly normal in that people didn't really love their roles.
A fairly good organisation which gets things done. I worked in transport so didn't see much of the work that happened on the grounds. Complaints that I heard followed the typicality of the field.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
26 February 2020
I really loved reading your review – thanks so much for taking the time to write it. I'm delighted to hear that you value the work that’s gone into creating such a wonderful working environment here at AO. All the best, Vic Rogers (Chief People Officer)
Modern day slavery
Very long hours with many hours unpaid.
Treated like dirt by office. They say you are self employed but you cannot pick days or hours and if you say you cant do a day you are punished even if you give them ample notice.

How are you self employed if you wear their uniform, drive their van and are tied to them day after day?

It is just a scam to keep pay down.

If you have no money or work then give it a go if you must, but do not leave a job to come here. You like many others wont stop long.
Best opportunity I’ve had
I currently sub contract to ao and love it !

I’m free to choose when I work and there’s always plenty of it

It’s great to be able to do 4 days in and have a few off if I choose and the money is great if you put the hours in
Pros
Being outdoors and meeting new people
Cons
Sometimes days can be long but worth it
26 February 2020
We really try to create an environment where everyone can thrive. We’re proud of it, so it’s great to hear that you like it too.